Phoenix Maplewood What if the witches wrote the book
31 Posts
Ooc — Charlotte
All Welcome 
AW! But preferable nobody from Sleeping Dragon :)

With Thuringwethil's directions, it didn't take him long to reach the outskirts of the woodland. He had made sure to role generously in a patch of mud, not only to veil his encounter with the dark ruler but also to tone down the brilliant white tufts of fur that made up his pelt. Now, as he padded beneath the canopy of autumnal leaves, he wasn't so obvious, blending into the brown shades that made up the forest.

Heda had made his task clear, and so the fellow kept his auds pricked and his eyes alert for any movement of such.
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
my timeline is already so messed up but i'm super curious about what thur sent him off to do so i'm taking it >:3

It seemed that getting lost was her modus operandi these days, but this time she found getting turned around much more fortuitous. Now that she did not have concern for Larkspur hanging over her head, she felt more free to take the long road home. The long road, yes, that was what she would call it. Not lost, because where she was was always the most important thing.

A swath of low bushes cut through the trees, brilliant in the final days of summer. Quick investigation revealed what she had suspected. Blueberries! Blueberries, just like the ones Lucienne had introduced her to! Heedless of her surroundings, Starbuck dove forward, using her teeth to carefully pluck berry after berry off of the bush.
[Image: counselor.gif] 1/5[Image: caretaker.gif]2/5 or [Image: outrider.gif]2/5
31 Posts
Ooc — Charlotte
It didn't take long before a flash of dove grey entered his radar. With a curious twitch of his muzzle, he took a step back in surprise, wondering why on earth this new fellow was in such a rush. "Hey there," he greeted as he strode closer to her cache of berry bushes. "I had no idea wolves were able to eat berries," he pondered as his honeyed eyes inspected her slight form, watching as her teeth stripped the branches of their small blue spheres.

With a swish of his plumed tassel, he let the faintest twitch of a smile appear upon his features. Perhaps if he could first acquaintance himself with this stranger then it would be a lot less suspicious to gage what information he needed. 
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
Starbuck had only had two or three berries before she was disturbed. She swallowed, her tongue darting out to worry away any stains the berries might have left on her lips. Then, cheerfully she piped, hello! I have yet to have ill effects from them, and they are so very delicious. Would you like to try? They are very sweet. She stepped away, all friendliness and open smiles. Since arriving in the Wilds, she had had little experience to teach her to distrust, and so she approached this stranger as she did most.
31 Posts
Ooc — Charlotte
"I don't see why not." His words filed out smoothly, unscathed by the sincerity of his orders; why not indulge himself a little? Besides, it was uncertain when next meal would be. "I've learned never to pass up the offer of a free meal," he quipped, a breathy laugh escaping his maw as he trotted forward to tentatively nibble the navy berry. The taste exploded in his mouth; a burst of fruity flavour which earned the strange woman a look of upmost delight from the muddied fellow.

"Goddamnit,"  he grinned as his tongue slid out to swipe round his lips. "These would pass for a rabbit any day! Though they aren't nearly as big. Sorry, I'm off on a tangent." With a sheepish glance at the female, he morphed his speach into an introduction, his tail buffing the ground. "I'm Arch, by the way." He'd have to make this trip worthwhile if he was to earn the respect of Heda, yet rushing would most likely blow his chances of seeming anywhere near the innocence of a traveler.
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
Good! she said lightly, dancing a few feet away to watch. She delighted in his reaction, giggling girlishly even when he swore. Pleased by his cooperation and glad that she could introduce him, Starbuck was already well on her way to liking this stranger. It helped that he seemed a gentle man, devoid of the hard-bitten quality many of the wolves she'd met recently carried.

Starbuck came up beside him, plucking another berry from it's bush. The leaves rustled as it settled again, and Starbuck enjoyed the berry with a look of bliss upon her face. I'm glad you liked it, Starbuck said. There are other berries nearby, but I do not know if they are safe to eat. Ah! But there I go- she laughed- I am Starbuck. It is a pleasure to meet you, Arch. Perhaps he could point her in the right direction. She had a message to deliver, and she was determined to complete her errand in a timely manner.
31 Posts
Ooc — Charlotte
Never before had a creature of such jubillance and outward expressiveness come across his path. The closest comparison would have to be Wildfire, fair and understanding yet lacking in the enthusiastic compartment. He wasn't one to judge, yet Starbuck would certainly top his list of friendly souls to keep in mind. "We all get a little carried away sometimes," he added to her laughter with a small chuckle of his own, watching with bright eyes as yet another berry found its way into the jaws of the coywolf.

"Nevertheless, It's nice to meet you too, Starbuck," he chipped, a grin now what felt like permanently plastered on his muzzle. "So tell me, are you from round here?" Mind reading was, sadly, not one of the gentlemans' attributes and so he continued their conversation with absolutely no knowledge of what the little grey canine was really here for.
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
Arch was far more amiable than wolves like Skellige or the horrid, slobbering wolf she had met on the beach. Indeed, besides Lærke, he was the most amicable wolves she had met since joining Donnelaith's numbers. 

I'm not, she said. I am from Donnelaith, far from here. I have just finished an errand and now am making my way home. Only, this land is unfamiliar to me, and I have gotten rather lost. Starbuck was not concerned, but was eager to return home. What about you, dear Arch?
31 Posts
Ooc — Charlotte
So she was lost. Her actions betrayed nothing of the worry she might've felt; perhaps a creature as gentle and excitable as her would live long by taking things in her stride. "I'm a traveller," he grinned. That was partly truthful; he didn't know what Heda would do should she find out he spiller the beans to a wolf, even one who claimed she lived far from these autumnal woods. Craning his neck forward, he nipped another round berry from the bush and watched with mild interest as it returned to its original position with a satisfying twang.

"Looking to see of there are any bands of creatures close to here that I could acquaint myself with." If Starbuck knew anything about any settlers planning to claim the Maplewood, then that statement would most likely trigger a helpful answer. "Though I do know a little about this land from a wolf I've spoken to, perhaps enough to send you on your way." Thuringwethil had described the Grotto as being a close distance to the coast, maybe he could journey with her should she not have the answers he was searching for.
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
Starbuck plucked another berry from the bush, then had an excellent idea. She listened attentively to what he had to say, but as he spoke, she edged beneath the bush where a number of blueberries had dropped. They were softer, overripe berries, but they still smelled wonderful. With a little shimmy to place herself perfectly, Starbuck plopped onto the ground and rolled onto her back.

I know of a pack! she said, pleased she could help. She made sure to really work the squished berries into her shoulder, then flopped onto her side to get some berry on her face. Back the way I came, there is a group of wolves living in a forest of willows. Recalling the beauty of the place brought a sigh of whimsy to her lips. Finally she rose, now considerably more blue than she was a few moments ago. But oh! she smelled much better. Oh, you do? I need only to get back to the coast. From there I can find my way home.
31 Posts
Ooc — Charlotte
With his eyes round and tassel brushing the ground, he watched as the little grey woman slid herself beneath the shrubbery as he spoke, his words dusted with amusement as he wondered what on earth she was doing. "Oh, you're blue!" he started, a light, wolfish laugh worming its way into his tone as she emerged from beneath the leaves.

"A willow pack eh," he mused, reaching forward to sniff the now fruity-scented female. "I could check them out, so long as they're not too far." With a slight shrug, he hid his curiosity behind his actions, wondering if perhaps this strange pack was close to the Dragon. "The shoreline shouldn't be too far from here; the wolf I met said it was a few hours walk from these woods. North west. Allow me to travel with you?" For now it seemed the Maplewood was clear of settlers so now was as good time as any to move forward with his orders.
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
Until Arch pointed it out, Starbuck had not noticed the staining from the berries. She arched her neck to try to get a good look, and spun in a slow, tight circle to examine her sides. So I am! How lovely. The color would fade eventually, as would the scent, but for now she was very pleased. When he came forward to sniff her, she giggled, then danced away as though she knew the way forward. I would be delighted if you joined me! Company will make travel all the faster. Come! she cried, now bounding back the way she came. She would lead him to Marauder's Keep.
31 Posts
Ooc — Charlotte
"Shit," he grumbled, a wide grin plastered to his face, "Thought you were lost." Rising to his paws, he let his courteous self follow her dancing pawsteps away from his goal. Heda hadn't specifically set a time limit; for all he knew he could spend months completing his task. Depended how long her patience would last and if she would eventually send one of her minions to track him down. "Lead the way, Star."

Imma role with this, even if it's not what I intentionally had in mind xD
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
they're going on an adventure!

Starbuck laughed like she was getting away with something. Swearing was not in her vernacular, not because she looked down upon it but because it was not in her upbringing. Then, many things were not. The way forward is veiled, but I always remember where I have been, she said over her shoulder. Over rocks and fields they would pass, but first she had to trace her steps back out of the forest. She ran quickly, bounding through bushes and over obstacles. Soon she would slow, but she was excited to have made a friend and to share her knowledge with him.
31 Posts
Ooc — Charlotte
And so he was a white blur trailing after her petite figure, his large paws proving to be somewhat an annoyance as he pattered over various woodland matter. "That is a good trait to have," he chortled, not so far behind her. His days as a scout perhaps allowed him to stay close behind her small form, yet he was more used to mapping open plains. It would only be a matter of time before he found his footing and got used to this new land he was now free to roam.
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
Starbuck took to the terrain gamely, rangy legs carrying her quickly and with certainty. Dexterity was her strong suit. Arch was ever present behind her and seemed unused to the woodland. She slowed for his sake, dropping back to trot by his side. You think so? she said. Sense of direction wasn't something she'd ever thought long on, but it did seem to be coming in handy now. We should pace ourselves, my friend. We have far to go. We must reach the mountains, for the Marauder's Keep lies at their feet.
31 Posts
Ooc — Charlotte
He gave her a nod of gratitude as her pace slowed to match his mismatched lope, unsure if she would acknowledge it but it came to him as naturally as many other things would. Courteous, his mother would've called it. As wolves of the north, whatever few beasts one would stumble upon would be treated as they would one of their own. For survival on the peninsular was limited, and any that made it through deserved their fair share of honour. "Mhm," he mused, a smile plucking at the corners of his black-outlined lips. "May I ask how far away these mountains are? How many-a-dayswalk from these woodlands?" Of course, Thuringwethil was still at the forefront of his mind, yet adopting the little woman's optimistic attitude proved to be of some relief. He would tackle things as they came.
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
did a bit of a time jump to move us along
Arch nodded his gratitude and Starbuck beamed back to acknowledge it. With haste we will reach it tomorrow before the sun reaches its zenith. If we slow our pace it may take longer, she said. Her road to these woods was a leisurely one, so her calculation was only approximate. 

After several hours of travel, during which they emerged from one wood and passed through another (Herbalist's Cache) Starbuck's legs grew weary. Night had drawn over the them, and she wanted nothing more than to rest for the evening. Arch, shall we rest? she said at the western edge of the Cache, where the treeline broke into plains, which broke into mountains. They were near the Keep, her approximation had been correct. The woods would offer them shelter in the night. It seemed a good place to stop.
31 Posts
Ooc — Charlotte
The birdsong that had once blessed their ears now faded to make way for the creatures of the dark as the two neared the tree line. "Settling down for the night certainly sounds like a good idea," he breathed. Normally, an expedition of many hours would be a manageable feat. Perhaps his lack of agility was the cause of his exhaustion. Either way, he found himself leaning against the trunk of a sturdy tree, letting himself slide down the rough bark until he was nestled amongst the dead matter that littered the forest floor. "I think I will be able to travel the remaining distance alone," he spoke with confidence, unsure of how to begin since journeying to the willows was not on his agenda. If he was to ignore his mission, then perhaps things would go a little differently yet sometimes you have to make rational decisions. "The plains ahead look easy enough to navigate."
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
Arch found shelter against the base of a tree, and Starbuck came to join him. She curled up against him, thinking it only natural that they sleep together. After all, the nights were growing colder, and out in the elements they would be exposed to the creeping chill. She had just shut her eyes when he spoke, declaring that he would travel the rest of the way alone. But... she protested. Was her company not enough, or too much? Perhaps her pace had not been right. But we are going the same way, are we not? I must pass the Keep on my way.
31 Posts
Ooc — Charlotte
It did well with their fur pressed against each other. Though the trees shielded them from the worst of the wind, their combined figures ensured little to no warmth would go to waste. "I am a coward Star," he mused, tilting his head to nibble at the last of the berry residue that speckled her grey fur. "Perhaps loyalty or pride is my flaw, I don't know." Satisfied that her pelt was back to its familiar mottled sheen, he lowered his muzzle to rest atop her shoulders, his eyelids closing shut at weariness took a hold of his consciousness. "Never mind. We shall talk more when we wake."
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
While Arch worried at the last of the berry juice- which had grown sticky as it dried- Starbuck fought off sleep. You give yourself no credit, she told him, yawning. The weight of his head on her shoulder was a comforting pressure that only pushed her closer to sleep. All seems darker at night. In the morning, we will discuss, she agreed. The moment she laid her head down and her eyes closed, she was asleep. Again she heard the whisper of the willow, even though he was far away.
31 Posts
Ooc — Charlotte
Little time skip to morning

Night creatures emerged from the brush as the two slept, going about their tasks as moonlight bathed the forest in a brilliant patchwork of silvers and greys. An owl hooted a short distance away, its cry a piercing melody in the darkness, but did not wake the pair from their weary slumber.

Arch woke to an uncomfortable squirming in his stomach. It was still early; the ghostly pre-dawn light was only just tickling the horizon. Perhaps it was his nerves that had lifted him from unconsciousness yet Starbuck deserved his trust. With a quiet sigh, he did not lift his head from her back, instead relishing the comfort whilst he could as he waited for her to wake.
the last genuine mystery
172 Posts
Ooc — kae
Part of her had expected him to be gone when she woke. It came as a surprise to wake with his head still resting upon her shoulder, his breath still tickling the hairs of her neck. She counted his breaths and listened to decide if he was still asleep. Though they were long and deep, they did not carry the regularity of deep sleep. Arch? she ventured. Are you awake? She almost wished he wasn't. If he was, then they would have to move, and she was very comfortable like this.
31 Posts
Ooc — Charlotte
Beneath his silken fur, he could feel the little grey woman's breath come in long strides. Feeling every tremor that possessed her tiny frame, it startled him when her body vibrated with speach. "My inside are definitely awake," he mumbled in between a few lethargic breaths. "Not so sure about my outsides." With mock amusement, he let his plumed tassel buff the ground beside their hunched forms. Luckily it hadn't rained. "There are things I should tell you before we... or I... make a move."