King Elk Forest bittersweet
8 Posts
Ooc —
Private 
for @Grace :)

when he'd left home to venture out into the big wide world; when he'd left his mother's warm embrace, and his siblings's protective gaze; when he'd left to follow in the pawsteps of his idol: nicolas, he hadn't expected to find himself lost and alone, with nowhere to go, and no purpose at all. in a twisted manner, archer was amused to find himself in this predicament: stranded and alone, but he also felt a slight bit panicked, as he wasn't used to this sort of situation. soon, however, he began to feel resigned, and with that, he began forming a vague plan of action in his head. with winter coming, it was clear that the dewinter needed to join a pack, but he was unsure of which pack to join, and if he was being completely honest, he wasn't quite sure how to join a pack.
nevertheless, archer knew that it was something he had to do. and so, when he picked himself up and found his way down the mountainside, he knew what his next move would be. what he did not anticipate, however, was how hard it would be to join a pack. he lingered by the edges of many a pack's borders, wondering if it would be the right place for him, wondering if he would fit in. several times, archer found himself inching away, then turning away completely and leaving. 
to say he was ashamed would be an understatement. all his life, archer told himself he was courageous and brave, now, he wasn't so sure. because, right now, he was a coward and a craven, and he knew it.
and so he lingered in a forest, unsure of what to do next. his countenance was impassive and unfathomable, concealing the inner fear and nervousness he felt seeded deep inside him, and as he inhaled sharply, he forced his idle thoughts to the side of his mind and once again, began forming a plan. except this time, this time, archer was going to follow through with it, and he would not fall prey to his petty fears. as far as the dewinter was concerned, he was too young to die.
She Made Broken Look Beautiful & Strong Look Invincible. She Walked With The Universe On Her Shoulders & Made It Look Like A Pair Of Wings.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace, having made a few friends and officiating her stay by finding a den, felt the need to explore. It was more just because she wanted to check out the place that'd smelled to familiar her last time here, but she found her way barred by another. Not literally - while the man was built nicely, he was no brute. 

Still, though, he was a man. 

The timid russet yearling wasn't far from home - a howl alone would bring Zaavier, Liri, and Leto coming if she needed the help - but for once, Grace did not believe she would need help. After all, as many had proved to her, not all males were bad.... Even if her brain said they were. 

"H-Hello?"

Grace called out as soon as they were in sight of each other, and she was sure her quiet, singsong voice would reach him. The tone quivered with nervousness, but the girl limped another step forward - he didn't look like a threat, not yet, but Grace was ready to turn and run should she need to - even if she managed to only tense up a little.
8 Posts
Ooc —
archer had seen a lot of weird things in his lifetime; stormbound bay happened to be one of the most eventful packs on this planet. however, he'd never, in his entire life, seen someone as scarred and physically damaged as the female standing within sight of him. the thing was, she wasn't ugly. in fact, she had pretty fur and bore strikingly beautiful eyes, like his own, if he may say so himself. but she was severely scarred, and her hind leg was obviously damaged beyond help, and while he was a firm believer that personality mattered a lot more than looks, he couldn't help but feel just a bit of pity for her.
archer allowed his gaze to linger on her injury for less than a second, before rising to her face, his lips already tilting upward to form his signature lopsided smile.
"hey!" he declared brightly, speaking in a faint, but recognisable northerner's accent, his lilting sounds adding a gentle undertone to his voice. he did not fail to notice the nervousness that tinged her voice, but had decided to overlook it; she'd obviously suffered traumatic experiences, who was he to judge? "how are you?" he inquired politely, the corners of his eyes crinkling cutely as he smiled. ""i'm archer," he introduced himself with a birdlike cant of his head, "just another poor loner looking for a pack," he joked, hoping to lighten the atmosphere. though, in truth, he probably did nothing but scare her away with his enthusiasm.
She Made Broken Look Beautiful & Strong Look Invincible. She Walked With The Universe On Her Shoulders & Made It Look Like A Pair Of Wings.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
In fact, it was his enthusiasm that brought a smile to the young womans face - for a moment in time, Grace thought again of Esaro - but another name filled her ears: Archer. First came the looks, of course- everyone seemed to think her scars were worth looking at- but he wasn't rude in his gaze, only curious, and as usual Grace let it slide. He was cute, she decided, especially with that goofy smile plastered on his face, and the ink faced girl felt comfortable enough to limp another foot or so closer. Her face was turned slightly to the side -not to hide the fresh gash across her right eye, but to focus better on him. Saena's teeth had damaged her eye just enough for her to be unable to see shapes properly. Everything in that eye was like she'd just opened it for the first time - just much harder. "Just another poor longer looking for a pack." came the joke, and Grace's tail waved behind her, but there was seriousness in her kind, warm voice even if she did joke back a bit. She noted interally with joy that she didn't stutter and tremble as much as she usually did with strange males. 

"I-I'm Grace - L-Luckily for you, I'm from a fledgling pack t-trying to find more m-members. If you think you've got the skills for it, m-maybe I could take you back there. 
8 Posts
Ooc —
he smiled, just a bit wider, when she took another stop closer, face turned slightly to the side. at that, he canted his head, a mildly curious look flitting briefly across his face, "are you alright?" he asked, concerned. "i don't mean it like that," he added hastily, "i just meant....." he trailed off, then offered her an apologetic look, "yeah, sorry 'bout that," archer muttered, somewhat embarassed by his strange behaviour. honestly, he was raised better than this; he was a gentleman, not some kid who didn't know how to act around girls. ugh, why did it seem like he was failing at everything lately.
"nice to meet you, grace," archer smiled his signature crooked smile, not expecting much from this encounter. however, her next words proved him wrong. he straightened up immediately, eyes narrowing brightly when she told him that she was from a fledgling pack who needed more members. "well, of course i have skills," he retorted, playfully offended, "who do you think i am?"
"but yeah, on a serious note, i'm a pretty good scout and healer; i can learn, be whatever they want me to be, really," he shrugged, eyes crinkling around the corners.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
When she canted her head to better gaze at him, he questioned it - but when he stumbled awkwardly, her smile was there to ease his worry. She wasn't at all hurt or offended by his words, for the curiosity of her appearance was something she'd long accepted. She was odd looking, scarred - it was expected.

"D-Don't worry - If I saw a female as messed up as I l-look, well.... I'd ask t-too. I can o-only partially see out of o-one side: I was t-trying to look at y-you better."

Coming another few steps closer, she twisted her face to the side to both see Archer and show her newest injury - one that cut deep across her eye and damaged the sight. It was here she stopped, though, feet away from the stranger who wanted to join her home. His grin was contagious, and her own split her inky maw with ivory fangs as they joked. It was nice to be so carefree, to not shake in her skin like a tornado raged in her belly. She trembled, sure, but when didn't she anymore? Tail wagging, she gave him some of the information she knew of Hideaway Strath:

"I'm a healer m-myself, but the offical rank for it is taken. You've gotta be a warrior or a-a hunter - but that doesn't mean y-you can't persue your dreams, too. Zaavier is our leader." 
8 Posts
Ooc —
she smiled, and while it did ease his anxiety and worry just a tad bit, he still felt a bit embarassed and ashamed of his behaviour, and it showed in the way in which he awkwardly shifted his weight between his paws. it vanished, however, when she spoke, stuttering once again, and he hastened to reassure her. confidence returned to his demeanour, and as he straightened up and puffed his chest out, it was not his lopsided cute smile that dominated his features, but a surprisingly charming one, with all its bad boy aura within it. it held within it, just a touch of the dewinter males's charisma, and in addition to his brilliant blue green eyes, he felt, that just in that moment, he could be considered a catch.
but only in that moment.
"you're not messed up," he protested immediately, lips pressed into a thin, disapproving line; eyes narrowed, gleaming with passion. "you're just a bit scarred, is all. but," archer allowed himself a confident smirk and drawled, "i'm honoured that you would like to look at me, i mean, i'm one hot guy, aren't i?" he allowed himself a few seconds, before adding the self-deprecating line of, "just kidding," and a laugh to go alongside it. 
despite the fact that a small part of him died whenever he said something like that, archer was glad that he was able to make her smile, and perhaps put her to ease, if only a tiny bit. he did not like seeing someone uncomfortable, especially if he happened to be the one to cause their discomfort in first place. hence his self-deprecating jokes, becuase, for some strange reason, making fun of himself seemed to really inspire amusement in others. why, he couldn't see, nor understand, but he accepted it as a fact of life, and thus, used it to his advantage to help both himself and others.
so far, it was working out well.
and though when he heard the news, he felt just a tad bit disappointed, he looked at the positives of the situation instead and brightened up, "i'm a good warrior and hunter," he informed her with a smile, "i just prefer scouting, i suppose. but i'll be whatever this zaavier wants me to be." archer licked his lips absentmindedly.
"but," he paused, and gave her an inquisitive look, "why'd you join this pack? what's it like? what's it called?" he looked at her with gentle curiousity, before backtracking, "sorry," he muttered sheepishly. "i'm just a bit excited. you'll have to excuse me."
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Archer was not in the least amused or accepting of her words, insisting she was not messed up, but scarred. He dissaproved greatly, and though his face went hard, she did not shy away. It might've been towards her, but he was also defending her... From herself. His confidence - and his kindness - drew her forward another step, smile firmly etched into her face. His joke brought a peal of bright laughter from her lips, and she shook her head when he claimed to be kidding. 

"Hey, if I'm 'just a bit scarred' you're definatley one hot guy."

Unlike she usually did, Grace missed the lack of stutter - she trusted Archer more than she would usually a stranger. It brought her more joy to know that even if he was dissapointed in her news, he still was interested in coming. Not without questions of course, but that was as expected as the looks she got. 

"You can still be a Scout - you just have to be able to hunt and fight for the pack should the need arise. I joined because I was in need of a home that I felt comfortable in - one that I could grow my own condfidence in. Hideaway Strath has given me that so far, everyone is very kind."

His apology brought her face from a smile to a frown, the russet yearlings brow furrowing. Shaking her head, Grace grumbled playfully at him - but her words were very serious, and she took a step forward to make sure he understood that. They brought her to thoughts of Nova: every day the younger girl became more like her mother and mentor. 

"Don't apologize for enthusiasm - without it, the world would be a pretty boring place." 
8 Posts
Ooc —
he grinned when she took yet another step forward, and he couldn't help but just feel a bit smug when he caught sight of the smile etched on her lips. the grin shifted into a amused smirk when she opened her maw and laughed; it was a beautiful sound, and archer chuckled softly to himself, glad that he'd been able to help her open up a bit, and allow her to feel at ease. "aww," archer lowered his head to lick at his ruffled chest fur, before he lifted his head and winked at her, "i'm hot now, am i?" the lopsided smile came back, and he laughed again. he knew for a fact that he wasn't hot, and while it'd bothered him before, he didn't really care anymore.
"that's fine then," he lifted a shoulder in a shrug. "i'm a good hunter and fighter, so i think i qualify. plus," archer grinned and shifted his weight, "hideaway strath is a nice name. i think i'll like to join," he took a step forward, his demeanour casually confident, an easy smile on his lips, "after all, you'll be there, won't you?" he teased. he'd never been particularly good-looking, but he had a certain sort of charm that drew others towards him, though, to be honest, he'd never really paid attention to it.
"it would be a pretty boring place, wouldn't it?" archer murmured thoughtfully and grinned, tilting his head to the sky. "hey," he looked at her, smiling brightly, "grace, yeah? wanna go on an adventure before you take me to meet your leader?"
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
This man, Grace decided, was pleasant to be around. His face always seemed to be smiling, charming, and he just felt like a good guy to her. His wink melted her insides, and a breathy giggle left her mouth. Amazed with her confidence, Grace didn't even think the words before her mouth was working. 

"That's what I said, right? I'm no liar."

He agreed to join, and all was left was to bring him to the borders to meet Zaavier - the yearling was sure he would find Archer as worthy as she did. His last comment brought a blush to her skin, and she shrugged nonchalantly with a coy grin spreading across her inky maw. Just as she was about to turn and lead him away, though, he said her name. At his request, her face morphed into one of surprise, confusion - she tipped her head and was silent a moment, studying him - before lighting up in a bright smile. 

"I suppose I can do that - as long as you help me find some herbs on the way."
8 Posts
Ooc —
his lips hitched upwards into a satisfied smile as a breathy giggle escaped her maw; it was always hard to coax a smile out of someone as....well, someone who'd experienced as much scars and damage and trauma as her, so, archer was extremely proud of himself for doing so, and was quietly, inside his mind, congratulating himself on his so-called-success. the fact was, however, that archer wasn't only here because he felt that it was his mission to cheer her up and make her feel at ease; sure, that was one of the reasons why he stayed, but another was that he genuinely enjoyed her presence, despite her...supposedly strange appearances, and he hoped to get to know her better, if fate would allow him to do so.
it was a low chuckle that rumbled from his chest, and the corner of his eyes crinkled upward cutely as his lips tugged upwards into a lopsided smile. if wolves could've dimples.....well, let's just say he would've had it. 
"i'm honoured, you know," he said, laughing softly. "it's not everyday i get called hot, or good-looking," he sobered up a bit then, and his expression grew tight for just a tiny millisecond, so small that no one could've really noticed it. "but then, i suppose, i've never been hot. just...cute," archer grinned though, and lifted a shoulder in a light-hearted shrug, "but that works for me." and when he smiled, it was easy to see why there were still those who fell heads over heels for him.
"okay!" archer said brightly at her remark, and he began to move in a specific direction, paws light on the ground. "so, grace," he turned to look at her as he walked, eyes narrowed inquisitvely, "tell me a bit about yourself?"
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
If Grace would've known he was internally praising himself, she would have agreed - it was very rare for her to be so comfortable around someone so new in her life, especially a male, but his aquamarine eyes were so full of gentle humor that she couldn't help be drawn close. His smile was just so darn cute, she couldn't even. 

He went on to say he was honored, but Grace was shaking her head with a laugh. 

"It's not every day I give - or get - any praise like today."

She missed his facial change, but not the slight one in his tone. Archer claimed to be okay with that - but Grace was not. Instead of straight out scolding him, she decided to try and joke with him:

"I think you're a healthy amount of both.... I should know, I'm a healer!"

The russet yearling was easy to follow at his flank - being sure to stay on his right side, so her golden gaze could properly roam over his coat. He wasn't particularly large compared to, say, Stark, but at least beside her, he was a giant. His fur was beautiful, she noted with a smile - hers was the color of partially dried blood, faded to ink on her extremities - she was nothing special. A shadow in the background - and she'd adapted all her life to be just that. His was a thick mat of browns and creams, with even a little black peppered in - he was something to look at, someone who called attention. His sweeet voice called her attention back to him as he asked about her. A smile lit up her face - so few really cared who she was. 

"Its a pretty long story - I've been around to get to be such a good Hunter and healer." 

She awaited his scoff at her being a hunter - not many believed she could be anything other than slow with this leg. Fortunatley, Nova had planned for that - she'd taught Grace how to get around all that, and it gave the yearling an amazing sense of balance.... Most of the time. She was a damn good small game hunter, but thats just not where her passion was. She wanted to be a Caregiver, a Medic, and a good Botanist one day.
8 Posts
Ooc —
his brows creased together into a gentle frown, and he pursed his lips, annoyance flitting across his brilliant eyes for the briefest of seconds. "why not?" archer asked, eyes narrowing ever so slightly, "you deserve to be complimented. frankly, everyone deserves to be complimented," he lifted a shoulder in a shrug, as the corner of his lip twitched upwards in a gentle humour, his eyes twinkling with an almost absentminded humour. "that's what i live by," he informed her, "why waste time bothering with people who are shitty towards you? and for those who aren't? why treat them badly? everyone deserves praise every now and then. that's all there to it, isn't it?"
what he hadn't been expecting, however, was for grace to say what she said next, and at that, archer couldn't help but smile widely, a soft laugh rumbling from his chest and he closed his eyes for a moment, feeling extremely amused for some strange reason. it had been sometime since someone had complimented him in a...roundabout manner, if he may. "thank you," archer smiled at her, "i think you're cute too," he said in an offhand manner, not knowing that his words may have a more profound effect on her. in his mind, the dewinter was just being honest, like he usually was. "and pretty as well," he added with his signature lopsided smile, fixing his eyes at her.
archer listened intently to what she had to say, and cocked his head curiously at her words. "man, you're clever aren't you?" he murmured, "i can literally never imagine being a healer. it's just so much work, and it's so stressful. seriously, i applaud you for that." he grinned. "and like, you must have trained so hard to hunt well. i bet you're better at it than i am," archer smiled ruefully, licking his shoulder fur. "i'm genuinely not even that good at it. i don't even know how i managed to survive, to be honest."
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
At her first comment, Archer really did seem displeased - she could tell it wasn't aimed for her, but Grace's shoulder came up in a shrug. Even knowing the kind man, she was still surprised as he launched into a righteous speech that made her heart ache for Esaro - it was those kinds of things he'd believed in, too. Everyone deserves to be happy.

A smile lit up her face, one more bright and real than she'd felt in months - this man was someone she wanted to keep close. She would not loose him like she'd lost Esaro and, well, everyone else. 

"You remind me a lot of my old friend, Esaro. I lost him a while back, like everyone else, but he drove it into my brain that everyone deserves to be happy."

Archer seemed surprised at her own praise - or maybe it was her profession - and returned it with more sincerity than they had before. The sober mood lifted then, and his crooked smile encouraged her to bump shoulder-to-shoulder into him happily.

"I'm glad we can agree we're both good looking people."

Next, he called her clever - again, her pelt heated in a blush. He went on about how hard it had to be to be a healer, and not once did she disagree: it WAS hard to be a healer, to memorize not only all the sicknesses but also which herb did what for it - plus she had to remember HOW each one was given, in what doses, and which plants were actually poisons. PLUS she was learning how to grow each one - that was a task in itself. Archer was even more surprised to find she was a hunter - the pride she felt was spilling over in heaps at all his praise.

"None of it was easy, I can agree there. My adopted mother taught me to hunt with it tucked up - its out of the way, and even if my balance kind of sucks, it doesn't slow me down."

He said he wasn't even good at hunting, surprised he'd survived: Grace took this as a chance to maybe-sorta-kinda flirt with him, even daring to send a wink his way with her words.

"Lucky you have me now, then - I'll feed you!"
8 Posts
Ooc —
archer raised an eyebrow ever so slghtly when she spoke, telling him that he reminded her of an old friend caleld esaro. a small smile made its way to his lips at her words, and he adopted a distant look in his eyes as he recalled fonder memories of his past, before forcing himself back into the present world. "i'm honoured," he said, softly, casting his aqua gaze on her, "i'm also sorry," he murmured after a second thought, "he sounds like a great dude." archer might not have known this esaro personally, but he knew what it felt to lost someone that you cared about, or admired, and thus, felt for her.
"yeah, i'm glad too," archer murmured thoughtfully, though his eyes wandered and his lips thinned briefly into a line. there were troubling thoughts swimming through his head and try as he may, they simply would not go away. he exhaled softly, and pulled himself back to the present, reluctant to deal with his demons when he had such nice company.
"i'm proud of you," archer said, smiling at her, because while he might not know her personally, he was still proud that she managed to overcome the various tragedies and difficulties that life threw her way and still survive pretty much normally, if not better than normal wolves, such as himself.
but when she winked, it took even him by surprise, and a crooked smile tugged at the edge of his lips as a warm laugh rumbled from his chest. "will you?" he grinned, "well," he pretended to consider the offer for a moment before smirking, "sounds like a good plan to me."
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Despite only having half of her vision, Grace didn't miss the look of reminiscence that overcame her new friend before he spoke again - she believed each and every word he said without question, trusted that he did feel honored and sorry. Esaro was a great wolf - he had his fair share of problems, but who didn't?

"He was - not perfect, of course, but someone who shaped my life in many ways."

For the second time, she saw his eyes wander, dragging his focus with them, but as before he was right back to her - she didn't comment on it, but when Archer told her he was proud, well, the yearling melted. Her smile widened, and the heat of a blush spread over her skin - she hadn't ever regularly known praise, and each time it was given felt like a new wave of hope that she was doing the right thing.

"T-Thank you! I'm sure you've had your fair share of obstacles to overcome."

Her wink seemed to have surprised him, and to be honest it sort of surprised her too, but in the end he seemed okay with it, happy, accepting her offer of company and affection.

"Can't wait to see what my alpha thinks of you."