Ravensblood Forest whiskey is good proofing water
he's raised on the edge of the devil's backbone
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
Private 
slight pp of chusi with marie's permission.

[table width=85%][tr][td]
Arturo had waited until the sun had risen in the morning sky before he roused @Chusi from her slumber. With a simple “Come,” in his smoky, deep, accented voice he bid her to follow as he left their den. The chill of the autumn morning greeted them as they made their way towards the heart of the forest. Their individual hunts had been successful: Arturo had supervised her hunt before he'd taken down the second rabbit for himself, polishing it off quickly. It was no deer but perhaps a pack hunt soon would see their bellies and caches full with elk or deer meat. From their breakfast, the pair made their way to the borders where they walked in silence for a few moments. Arturo paused long enough to lift his leg and refresh a border he thought was a bit lacking before he pushed forth, expecting his growing daughter to keep up with him. “Chusi,” He beckoned to her, unsure if she'd even acknowledge him.

If she would not as his daughter then he hoped at least as his subordinate she would listen to what he had to offer her. He spent a while contemplating it. He did not think she was ready, in truth, and her recent actions with Cam only solidified his hesitance. Perhaps that was all a cry for attention, perhaps it was her acting out. Arturo didn't know. She was not his first child but his experience didn't mean he was perfect or that he one hundred percent knew what he was doing. He wasn't perfect and sometimes he stumbled in the dark. “I have something to ask of you.” Yet, Arturo was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. She had the potential. She only needed his guidance. She needed to not fight him. She needed to learn right and wrong and embody all that Teaghlaigh was and stood for. It was a lot to expect of her. A lot to expect of any child, really, and though he was hesitant about her readiness for what would come if she accepted he had confidence in her potential. It was enough. For now.
[/td][/tr][/table]
wreathed in iron and in fire
i bare my bloody teeth
and only pity makes my strike so clean
I'm a Ghost of a Girl that I want to be Most
653 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Ranger
Away
Softly she was awakened, and sleepily she looked around, his tongue going over her teeth. When she caught sight of Arturo and heard his call, she immediately rose to all fours without question. Where they were going, what they were going to do - it did not matter. If her father wanted to her tag along for, perhaps, another lesson, she'd do so without asking questions. She was surprised they went hunting. She was surprised even more so with the slight ease she had caught her breakfast with. She was obviously proud - even as she ate it and was shining still as they made their way to the border. She loved these quiet ways of communicating - perhaps this was why Darky did not talk. It was peaceful; less stressful than talking. She kept up with ease, her long legs bringing her to around the same height as the other Fearghal. Her ears flicked with the mention of her own name, and she looked at her father with a raised brow. Hmm? She let out.

Of course she would listen to him - she always had. Even with the whole ordeal with Cam. He had never stated she could not kiss anyone besides Lotte, and these things were not obvious for her yet. But, she could certainly say she had learned her lesson - even if it made her sad to think that the things she felt for the young man were false. Perhaps the feelings would pass and seek someone else to bother, or they would stay for life. She certainly had no control over it. What? Is it 'bout Cam again? She asked, ears lowering as she frowned. If that was the thing he wanted to talk about, she did not wish to converse with him. She had let it go, and dearly hoped the other two males she had bothered with it had too.
I'm a Shell of a Girl that I used to know Well
**Join THE VELINGAR!**
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
There was some surprise when Chusi let out a soft hum to let him know that he had her attention but he quickly stifled it. Fiery, red-orange gaze like embers set aflame glimpsed down at her when she asked if it was about Cam, her ears flattening to her skull. Arturo ignored the urge to roll his eyes. As it was the gangster's lips pursed tightly for a moment before he inhaled and let it out. “No,” He told her simply, if not a bit sourly. He did not want to talk about that again. He had said all he had to say on the matter; he'd been clear and concise and he expected his word to be obeyed as they were the law of Teaghlaigh. Unless it became necessary to (and oh how he hoped that it didn't) he had no intentions of bringing it up again. It was a sleeping dog now and he intended to let it lay. “I've said all I needed to about that and it's final.” He added quietly knowing that he was being redundant and with those words of finality he let it drop once more. For good, he prayed.

“I have been contemplating this for some time. Would we not be so new and there would be more pups in Teaghlaigh I would hold trials to determine which two to choose. Alone or not you have the potential that I seek, nevertheless. It won't be easy, it will be a lot of hard work and I have a lot of expectations, as becoming an Heir grooms you for leadership in the future,” He paused to lick his jowls. “By becoming an Heir you accept the responsibilities. By accepting you would officially become my apprentice, you will attend Family Meetings, you will join me at the borders. You will be given tests to see if you have retained what you have learned. You will need to listen to what I tell you, you will need to embody everything Teaghlaigh is and stands for. As I said, it will not be easy but if you want to become one of my Heirs the position is yours.” Arturo made his offer, glimpsing down at her to gauge her reaction.
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth
653 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Ranger
Away
With raised brows and a mixed look of "don't you dare say anything else" and "omfg, I'm so goddamn sorry" on her face, she stared into his bright red-like orange eyes. Only now did she notice they looked like a sunset - well, safe for the purple and yellow. Still, she liked the color better than her own. Hers looked too much like mother's - yes, she did remember what the Monster looked like, even though she dearly tried to forget about it. A sigh escaped her maw when he gave his answer, and she did not ask further about it. If he was done, so was she. Like father, like daughter, right? FUCK!

She held her breath most of the time he was speaking, not sure if she should comment or not. A heir? What did that mean? She was a warrior. What was he getting at with all of this? Suddenly it hit her. Leadership? Like Arturo? Would she have to adopt children? She listened, her ears pressing forward and cooping slightly, trying to take in every single word. Her tail raised and waved gracefully and happily through the morning air. A heir! He wanted her as his heir! She squealed with her mouth closed. Of course! Imma need to train real hard! Imma do gud, 'Turo, dad, Imma do gud!
**Join THE VELINGAR!**
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
Chusi made a strange noise, muffled by her closed muzzle, that Arturo wasn't quite sure what it was meant to be. The gangster's ears swiveled to the sides and a small 'v' shape formed betwixt his brows as it furrowed. The rise and wag of her tail told him that it was ecstatic noise, as strange as it was. She accepted with enthusiasm, promising him that she would train and that she would do good. “I know you can do it,” If he had thought otherwise he would not have made the offer. It was not one that he made lightly. She had the fire, the resilience, the bravery that she would need to face the hardships of leading, of being his apprentice. He was confidence that she would not fail him. Part of him wanted to believe that he would not let her fail but he could only do so much. Most of her success would be on her shoulders. “The first thing you should know about being a future leader is that arrogance will not win you loyalty. You must always be humble. You do not throw your rank about like it should give you respect. You must earn it, you understand? Lest you ever forget, I will not intervene if The Family puts you in your place. A leader, does not ask their followers to do anything that they, themselves, would not do. Without subordinates a leader is nothing. It's not an Us versus Them. A pack is a single unit. A pack works together and it's important that a leader understand their subordinates, that they take their opinions and concerns into account. That is how Teaghlaigh works. You'll see it in action at the Family Meeting when I call it. Everyone's voice is heard and weighed.” Of course, this was all Arturo's opinion, his way of leading, but it was how he expected Teaghlaigh's leaders (even it's future leaders) to lead. Under his example. He fixed her in his stare, holding her ocher gaze in his burning one, seeking confirmation that she understood.
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth
653 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Ranger
Away
She knew she had made a strange noise, but she didn't care anymore - she was way too excited to care for her father's furrowed brows. He did that a lot already, and trying to explain herself would just turn awkward, she knew. Hell, she almost couldn't explain herself at all. She desperately wanted to grow up, yet her personality was still very much like a kid; not the cold-blooded warrior she wanted to be. Perhaps she cared too much for this all, but it was still bothering her on a daily-basis. She knew it would take time to become the wolf she wanted to be, but she was not known for her patience. She grinned. Of course he thought she could do it.

Arrogance. For a moment she looked very confused. Had she ever been arrogant? She thought hard and deep about it, and came to the conclusion that only her younger self had thought the world was all about her. Now she just wanted to protect the ones she cared about - that included Teaghlaigh as a whole. She did not believe she was very arrogant, yet not very humble either. She was somewhere in the middle. I understand. She said with a nod, though a burning question dripped to the tip of her tongue. How do I earn respect?
**Join THE VELINGAR!**
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
She spoke that she understand and the gangster offered his young daughter a sage nod and an affirmed, “Good,”. Chusi was an inquisitive girl but Arturo did not mind her questions. It meant she had a desire to learn and so long as they were within his willingness to answer (for he did not always wish to answer all of her questions) he would deign to do so for her. “Just as subordinates have to prove themselves to The Family and leadership, the leadership, too, has to prove itself to their subordinates and The Family,” It was all inner connected in Arturo's world. It was an equal give and take on both sides, that this equality of respect and trust was what made everything work. “You cannot make them empty promises. You must be able and willing to back your words up with actions. You have to treat them with the respect they deserve, the respect that you want them to give you. If you treat them horribly or unfairly they will rebel against your rule. You have to care about them, but you also have to be willing to remind them, lest they forget, that you are in charge.” It was like walking a tight rope. Lose your balance either way and you ran the risk of messing up. Not every wolf was cut out for leadership simply if because finding that balance was incredibly hard.

“It's not going to be easy. It never is,” Arturo warned her. And then there was all the hard decisions that life was going to throw in her path. Leaders had to face them. They had to do what they had to do. One life or the entire pack's. “And you're gonna make mistakes, and you're going to hurt some feelings. You have to know that you'll never satisfy everyone. It's apart of life. You accept your mistakes, you own up to them so that you can learn from them and keep moving forward.” Fortunate for her that the whole idea of the Heirs was to give them the guidance they would need and hopefully avoid throwing an young, inexperienced wolf into the fray of leadership when they had no idea what in the hell they were doing.
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth
653 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Ranger
Away
She did not expect full on praise from her father, but perhaps some enthusiasm would've been effective to make the young girl a little less nervous about this all. It was not nothing he was asking of her - it was a big responsibility, and Chusi wanted to impress him and her family more than anything. She listened intently to every word he was saying, stopped walking for a moment and squatted down to mark a part of the border that was starting to lose the scent of Teaghlaigh. She quickly caught up however, and had not missed what he was saying. What if I give 'em the respect they deserve and they don't return it? She asked softly when he was done with his second paragraph. She had to "put them in their place" or something, she had heard once, but the meaning of that sentence was not known to the girl.  This only proved that yes, she had a lot to learn about being a leader, but was going to try her best to be a good one later. 

"keep movin' forward"? Like markin' the borders, despite there being branches, rocks and trees in the way? She asked, a little lost in thought.
**Join THE VELINGAR!**
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
She posed a good question to him: what if she gave them respect but they did not return it to her. “Then you take it from them,” He was not very merciful when he took respect that he had shown another that they refused to show him. “You display that you are the dominant one and that if they do not back down and submit to you that you will do whatever is necessary to ensure that they do submit.” Arturo wasn't really sure how to explain it. He knew from experience. What it felt like to be bullied into submission by wolves older and bigger than him. Probably his first retaliation and display of dominance over those that had looked down upon him had ended with his first life taken. Arturo Fearghal was a “by any means necessary” kind of guy and did not draw a boundary line between life and death. A warning was what was given, out of manners of course, and if that was ignored then anything was free game in the gangster's mind.

Her comparison to moving forward from mistakes and the borders was an intelligent one. He'd never thought of it that way, admittedly. “Yes, just like that. The branches, rocks and trees are your mistakes,” He informed her as they walked, going off of her idea. “you know they are there. You see them. You acknowledge them, right? And you move around them and continue on with your patrol, but you keep them in the back of your mind so you don't run into them, so you avoid them next time.” His ears slicked back in a contemplative gesture for a moment before he looked over and a little bit down at Chusi with an affectionate smile tugging at the corners of his lips. “That was a very astute observation, Chusi.” He complimented her.
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth
653 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Ranger
Away
Arturo was confusing. He had said you should never take respect but earn it, yet you had to take it when someone did not return the respect you had given them. Perhaps at an older age she would understand it all, but for now it hurt her brain. She did have a question though, and being Chusi, she was not afraid to ask it. Does tha' mean... Banishment? She asked carefully. the Monster had wanted Zephyr gone too (probably because Chusi liked him more), and he had. With her. She gritted her teeth at the thought of him. She hated him so much.

Her spirit lifted when Arturo said her comparison had been a right one. Hah, funny how these little things could reflect life so well. Perhaps she had to pay more attention to what was around her instead of asking everything to understand life better. Some are biggah than others... She commented, meaning that trees were bigger than the rocks, yet not all the rocks were the same size either. Like the mountain - one had to climb all the way to the top of one wanted to mark a border there. A sudden urge to climb it tickled her brain - the thought of her at the top, looking down at the sea and even Teaghlaigh was so endearing. She needed to go there, she decided, whenever Arturo was comfortable with her going alone. She smiled at his compliment.

What perhaps seemed as a change of topic, she asked; Dad? In a soft voice. I wanna see wha' is up there... She said, with a motion of her head to the mountains that were even bigger than the trees.
**Join THE VELINGAR!**
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
“It could mean banishment,” He began, his hedging with caution. “Sometimes worse.” But he did not deign to dig deeper into that with Chusi just yet, determined for her to hold onto her innocence for as long as possible. Someday, he would tell her the story of how he got the name Fearghal and how he formed the first incarnation of Teaghlaigh but that was a bloody story and though she was probably well aware of the kind of man that he was — as he did not deign to hide it from anyone — he did not feel that she was ready for it just yet. Nevermind that she had expressed a desire to kill Zephyr if he was ever caught near Teaghlaigh or their surrounding territories. He hadn't condoned that talk then and he wouldn't condone it now, for the time being.

He nodded sagely as she made a secondary observation that some trees and rocks were bigger than others. “Just like some of your mistakes will be bigger than others,” He confirmed, wondering if that was what she was trying to subtly get at. It hadn't necessarily been a question as it left her lips but he felt obligated to confirm, nevertheless. “You'll learn, believe me.” He spoke, though the fact that it sounded reassuring was almost humorous to him. Making mistakes wasn't anything anyone was ever eager to do. He would guide her where he could but she was going to make plenty of mistakes that he wasn't going to walk her through. She wouldn't learn if she didn't discover and puzzle it out for herself. She was inquisitive but Arturo realized that some things he was just going to have to let her find the answers for herself.

His attention snapped from the borders down to her when she called him “Dad”. For a moment the gangster's brow furrowed, and he gaped at her for a moment. He recalled suddenly that it wasn't exactly the first time she had called him Dad without adding “Turo” to the end of it but the other time (that he could recall) he'd been angry with her and Cam, playing the role of overbearing and over protective father well. “That's the second time you've called me Dad,” And it warmed his heart. Though he had never pressured her to call him anything but “Turo”, hadn't expected it, he was glad that he filled the role of father to her. That she had came to call him such on her own terms. He referred to her as his daughter but he had never expected of her to return the favor; and damn it all if he wasn't moved.

Arturo's gaze followed her's up the mountain and he drew in a low, quick hiss of a breath. The thought of her ascending it terrified him almost as much as the chances of her falling down it did. He urge to tell her flat out no was incredibly strong. He hesitated, visibly, not sharing in her desire to see what the world looked like from up there. He had gotten a nice view from Ravenshook Cliffs and woke up with the parasite Riptide in his mind as a result from his fall. From that height, however, he could only imagine that tumbling would mean certain death and that made him want to reject it even more. “Why?” He asked in stead of responding with any sort of answer.
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth
653 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Ranger
Away
"Sometimes worse". The sentence kept going through her head. She knew that he knew that she knew what it meant. It was the very thing she wanted to do with Zephyr whenever he dared to return for her. How she had to kill - well, she had seen prey being killed before. For fish it was different though. Darky had kicked the flobby thing on land, and Chusi assumed it died because it could not breath without water. It made no sense, but at the same time it did. She had also observed Aggie hunt - rabbits, most of the time. Going for their neck always seemed a good idea, or going for one of its legs. Chusi thought it was the same for wolves - and in a way, she was right.

Yeah... She breathed out as Arturo said what she had been thinking about. It troubled her to think she was going to make so many mistakes in life. She did not want to disappoint, but with this border-theory, she would definitely do so at least once. But what if she made as many mistakes as possible early in life? Could she avoid many when she grew up then? It was a silly thought, but perhaps more logical. She kept it for herself, not wanting Arturo to think she would screw up intentionally. And she wouldn't. 

But... Ya are mah dad, right? Chusi asked, a bit confused. Why was he looking so weirdly? She did not often see her father like this - so it had to be either a really good thing or a really bad thing she had said. did he not want her calling him dad? Then why did he adopt her? As always, Chusi had so many questions that they even overwhelmed her and enabled her to ask even one of them. She convinced herself that yes, Arturo would indeed be her dad until he eventually got sick of her (like so many before him) and dumped her off somewhere else. Chusi trusted him, but being constantly handed down from wolf to wolf at such a young age definitely had left some trauma behind.

'cus I've never been there. She answered, not catching on how nervous Arturo was. If she had known he had suffered because of a fall from high up the mountains, she may have thought differently about going up there - but for now it was an exciting challenge that just seemed to scream her name. 
**Join THE VELINGAR!**
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
“Yes, of course I'm your dad, Chusi,” Arturo was quick to speak, the smoky timbre of his voice reassuring, soothing. He had not meant to cause her distress, nor call attention to it in any other way then the one he had meant: that he took notice of it and it filled him with the unconditional love that he felt for his children with his ex-lover: Duana. “Nothing will ever change that,” He added, before he gave a pause to draw his tongue against his jowls. “I only pointed it out because it fills me with joy to hear you call me dad, is all.” He explained. In truth, he did not think that he could adequately put the feeling to words and didn't try. Joy didn't correctly capture the essence but it was close enough to the word that he did not have to fill the void.

Their topic careened back toward the spire looming like a massive sentinel in the distance and Arturo blanched as he peered up at it again, an ear flicking in his daughter's direction at her explanation as to her desire to climb it. He drew in another rattled breath and let it out slowly, his gaze sliding back to her. “I'm not comfortable with the idea of you climbing that, Chus,” He admitted, voice raw and rough. He wanted to tell her no but was afraid that if he forbid it she would sneak behind his back. It wasn't that he didn't trust her, but she was entering that stage of her life and his first litter of children had told him that their words could not always be trusted at face value. In the end, if she really wanted to do it she would, whether he declined her permission or not and that the thought scared him all the more. “If you were to fall from those heights ...it would kill you.” And the idea was too unbearably painful for him. “I just...the idea terrifies me. I took a fall from Ravenshook Cliffs a few months back and I do not want you to suffer the trauma I did...or worse.” He offered her his reasons why, as he would always do: he did not usually have a “no” without a reason and he wanted to be honest with her.
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth
653 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Ranger
Away
Chusi let out a breath she had not noticed she was holding - relieved and weirdly satisfied with the answer she had gotten. Yes, he was her dad. It was weird though - that she had experienced what a having a father felt like, but was still lost on what made a dad a dad. She needed to learn to listen, yet think for herself too. She needed to obey him, and her heart. She needed to trust him with everything that was bothering her, and at the same time have her own little secrets. It was confusing, to say the least, but likable. I like calling ya dad... She admitted softly, a warm smile painting her face of oddly beautiful shadows. He liked it too - and that only made her happier.

Her eyes were fixated on the mountain - avoiding stones, branches and trees almost on instinct. She frowned when Arturo did not seem fond of the idea of her going up there - which made her a little mad. She could not be kept in this forest her whole life! She wanted to see what was out there, and Teaghlaigh she would of course not leave behind in the process of exploring. She would still follow her lessons and still obey her father. If being an Oidhre meant she could not go outside of the forest, she'd gladly give it up. All she once had was freedom, and she was not about to give it up. If fallin' is the only thang I have to 'orry 'bout, I think I'll be just fhine. She said. Besides - dying seems like an awfully big adventure. She added dreamily. It was true - no one knew what dying truly meant. Who knew if it was fun or not?
**Join THE VELINGAR!**
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
you get my 300th post with arturo! :D

He really didn't want to talk anymore about her climbing the looming, stony sentinel in the horizon but Chusi did not seem to be deterred even as he expressed his fears to her. In fact, her words seemed chosen to give him a heart attack. The pace of his heart rate did not speed up but the muscles of his chest contracted painfully as if someone had reached into his rib cage and grabbed his lungs with sharp, tearing jaws. He was horrified and had felt like in trying to avoid it he'd wedged himself in between a rock and a hard place. He had the very distinct feeling if he outright told her no she would definitely go scaling it behind his back now. Then again, she had just agreed to take on responsibilities and she realistically would have no time to go mountain climbing. Her training had begun the moment she'd agreed and it was not like hunting or warrior. It was never ending. Being a leader would take up all of her time with a few stolen moments to herself. He frowned down at her. “Do not say those things, Chusi,” He reprimanded her sharply. “You are my daughter and you mean the world to me, do you understand? I do not-” Arturo's throat closed, swallowing thickly against the lump of emotion that caused him to choke on his words. “I do not know what I would do if I lost you.” He didn't want to think about it, but she seemed to find it fun to cause him the pain of facing it. “Death isn't an adventure. The wolves you leave behind that love you will be hurt by your absence until the end of their days,” Death was not something that time could fill. It might heal but it was still there. “Would you want to hurt me like that?” He demanded of her. “Or Lotte? Or Szymon? Or Darky?” Although, point of case he still wasn't sure who “Darky” was. “Or Teaghlaigh?”

He shook his head. “If you insist on climbing the mountain I will make you a deal,” He drew, licking his lips. “I will send a scout to map a safe route and if you do good on your studies I will let you go, with an escort and climb it.” She would go with an experienced scout, of that he would not back down on. “You must remember your duties as Heir must always come first. You are being groomed for leadership and unfortunately, as I must stress, is not about doing whatever you want. You must be a leader first. There is little time to do things for yourself.” That was the sacrifice that all leaders made and she, too, would be expected to make it.
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth
653 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Ranger
Away
*Claps and cheers* XD :)

Perhaps she was being selfish, but she really didn't understand how it made them sad to lose her when she died. They knew not what dying was, what it meant - so why were they scared of it? Free of worries, free of anything and everything. People who remained living should be the ones weeping that they were still alive if death was anything like Chusi imagined it to be. She just didn't understand. She looked up at Arturo, not sure what to think of his words. He did not want to lose her. Not even her mother had said such kind things, and yet it felt like she was not living for herself but for the people she cared about. Was that wrong? Why would anyone hurt if I die? Mem'ries don't die, right? She asked, giving a nuzzle to her father's shoulder to perhaps calm him down a bit - if he would let her do so. 

Wha' if the scout falls? She asked. She did not want anyone to fall off the mountain for her - she could do it herself. Whenever she was grown - a strong adult, they'll not be able to do this, right? It was not like she was a kid anymore anyway. She had grown, matured and learned - why could Arturo not let her go and do things herself? She could even somewhat hunt, so breakfast she could go get herself. She'd show him alright - that she was independent. But I have so much time before I'll evah lead. I understand that I need to follow mah lessons, and I will, but when I'm not learning I want to 'xplore.
**Join THE VELINGAR!**
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
This conversation was a giant classified folder that Chusi seemed determined to paw through, regardless. “Why wouldn't we?” He countered her question instead with one of his own. “You are very loved Chusi, by me, by Teaghlaigh, by Lotte.” Chusi had a very lovable (if not patience testing at times) nature and he felt confident enough to speak for the scarfed woman. Surely, she cared about Chusi if she allowed the girl to call her “big sister”. “Memories don't die, no, but they do fade. After so much time you begin to forget things about your loved one. You forget what they look like, what their voice sounds like, how they smell. You remember moments but they grow indiscernible with time.” His mother was still alive (to his knowledge anyway) but already he had forgotten many things about the warrior woman whom had raised him. Even his memories of Duana were beginning to become fuzzy. He'd spent almost a full year away from Quicksilver Hollow and with his focus upon the present he'd allowed the past to begin to fade like an old picture spent too long in the sun, gradually fading a little bit more.

“If an experienced scout falls you are not going up that mountain so you better hope the scout doesn't fall.” He told her sternly, leaving no room for negotiation. She could not always have her way and while it was partially his fault because he spoiled her so damn much she wanted to be an adult then she would have to start acting like it and realize that adults had responsibilities and could not just do whatever they wanted and shrug off things. She needed to listen to him and not fight him. If any of Teaghlaigh's members shrugged his commands off they would be punished for it. “You want to be an adult so bad, so I am giving you adult responsibilities. No fighting me, no loop holes. If any of the Family did that they would be punished for it. Ceannasach's Word is Law, Chusi, you know the rule. I'm not trying to stifle you nor take away your freedoms but if you want to be an adult, to be treated like an adult you have to prove to me that you can handle it. Ignoring my orders or finding loop holes is not something an adult would do.” Not unless they wanted to face his ire.

He'd been lax with her and it showed. He'd been so strict with his eldest children and for the sake of wanting to be everything that Chusi deserved he wondered idly if he had not accidentally done more damage than good. “I'm not saying you can't explore. I'm telling you to go prepared. Get an experienced scout to do his or her duty first by helping you and then go with them. Learn what you can from those with more experience then you, Chusi. You will benefit more from learning from someone that knows what they are doing then you will fumbling around on your own. There is wisdom to taking advantage of the knowledge of others.” It was like her leading lessons: he would never throw her into the lion's den unprepared. "Their knowledge is yours for the taking, so learn from them. Take what they have to teach you."
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth
653 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Ranger
Away
She was loved? By so many? She almost didn't believe her father. So far, only Arturo had told her openly that he loved her as a daughter, and Chusi knew he had meant it, but the rest? She hadn't even met a few of Teaghlaigh. How could one love someone they did not know? She kept these questions for herself for now, not wanting this conversation to end in some dark truth about anyone or anything and instead settled on the thought that she should never ever die before any of her loved ones did. Little did she know she would maybe carry children later in her life and that is was almost impossible to be there for all of their lives. For now though, her only friends were far older than her, and that calmed her for some reason. And then it terrified her. Did this mean she would have to pull through without Arturo? Lotte? Even Cam? She did not want to forget them - did not want to be hurt like that, and only now did she understand what she'd be doing to her family by dying.

She let out a small nervous giggle. Even though Arturo's words had not been humorous, the tone in which he said them made her laugh. He was so serious all the time. Was that part of adulthood too? She hoped not. She didn't wanted to be a salty, little grandma when she was older. She wanted to fight and explore for the most of her life, knowing that she would always have a home here at Teaghlaigh and that she did not need to escape them. She did not have to run from home anymore. If yar word is law, then what if ya make a mistake? She questioned innocently. Her intention was not to offend him or to anger him, she just wanted to make sure that he knew better - that he made fewer mistakes than she would. She wanted to hear it from him, to make sure that if they ever went into war, she could trust her father with her life if need be.

Wha' if I'm a gud scout before I'll evah attempt to climb the mount'n? She asked with a proud grin. She was being serious too. She liked walking and exploring - was that not what scouts did too? Could one specialize in two things? She hoped so, for she really didn't want to give up being a warrior.
**Join THE VELINGAR!**
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
Her question was astute but a very complicated one. Ideally, a leader was not to make mistakes, but the world that they lived in was far from ideal and they were not perfect beasts incapable of making errors. “Listen Chusi, no one is perfect,” Arturo told her straightforward. “There is an old saying: between a rock and a hard place. It means that sometimes we're faced with only two options and neither of them are good but you have to pick the one that will do the less damage.” He tried to explain it to her. Most of the time, decisions were not easy but it helped that he rarely made decisions that affected Teaghlaigh without The Family's input. “Everyone makes mistakes, even me, but you have to have faith in the fact that regardless of what happens I will always put The Family first and I will choose the course that keeps them the safest.” The world was not just black and white. The area of grey between vastly outnumbered the clarity of the stark contrasts. He realized that Chusi might be too young still to understand that but she would learn.

“Maybe you are a good scout, but there is no shame in improving. There are always things to be learned,” Regardless, she wasn't talking her way out of this. “Nevertheless, I will send a scout out first and you will go with them when they return.” Or you will not go at all. He didn't say it but it was heavily implied in the silence and look that followed after he finished speaking. And if she disobeyed him and went by herself then she would suffer his ire and consequences when she returned. He hoped she had more common sense than that but she seemed to itch to rebel against him. He did not want to have to discipline her but it was the dark side of parenthood. He never liked punishing his children with Duana but there had been occasions — especially with Devin, of whom Chusi reminded him of in many ways.
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth
653 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Ranger
Away
She listened intently to her teacher, father, leader and caretaker - wondering how one could be so much of another. Arturo was the one she was not able to lose - was not allowed to lose for her own good, and that of him. She found she brought out the best and the worst out of him, and he did the exact same thing to her. It was how she had come to understand the man, now her father, and she was glad that she had spoken to him at the meeting. Who knew what had happened to her if she had not talked to him that day? When she were still so small, while now she walked the way of a heir and that of a teenager with a lust for adventure and danger. I'd pick the rock... She said softly. She understood what he was saying, what he meant, but it had felt like something worth sharing.

Her ears drooped. So, when she were an adult and perhaps a scout by trade, she would still not be allowed up there without a guide? Yeah, right. As soon as she would hit the adult ranks, she would go out alone. Being an adult, she knew, she carried the freedom at a cost, but it was something she was willing to do so she could make her own mistakes. Am I a' least allowed to go to the coast on mah own? I wanna visit Szymon and Lotte soon. She asked sweetly. 
**Join THE VELINGAR!**
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
“Even when rock is not the best option?” Arturo inquired of her with a raise to his brow. It was with relief that Arturo listened to her question in regards to the coast, glad that, for the moment at least, his daughter had put aside talk of climbing the mountain. He had not hid his disapproval and he would much rather allow her to visit the coast on her own then run the risk of her sneaking her off to climb the mountain behind his back as he feared she might. To show that he approved of a visit to Blackrock Depths and Donnelaith he gave a sage nod. “Yes, you can visit Szymon by yourself,” But her mention of Lotte drew a soft breath from Arturo. There was no reason that Chusi could not visit Lotte on her own, too, aside from Arturo's own selfish desire to steal the lovely scarfed mummer for himself for a few hours. That was not particularly fairas Chusi deserved time with Lotte as well. His solution was the thought that he should try to convince her to join them at Teaghlaigh so he could court her and then he wouldn't have the desire to ask Chusi if he could tag along just to see the scarfed Ansbjørn  as well.

He hesitated, visibly, not because he disapproved of Lotte and his daughter spending time together (far from it, actually, he delighted that his daughter and the woman he intended to court were close) but because he had never disclosed his feelings about Lotte with Chusi. In actuality, he hadn't spoken of it to anyone, not even Lotte herself. He would seek to change that, and soon, but he realized that he'd lingered without a response for too long in regards to Lotte as he pondered whether he wanted to go with her to see Lotte or not. Undoubtedly, Arturo longed to see Lotte. It was a restless ache in his heart that never ceased except in her presence; but he did not want to impose on their girl time, either. “Lotte will enjoy seeing you again. You've grown so much since she last saw you.” He subtly gave her his permission to go without him. He only hoped she had not been paying attention to him that closely and that she would think nothing of it.
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth
653 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Ranger
Away
Maybeh, 'f I think it's the best option I would. She answered with a small nod. A rock was a small problem to deal with, she believed, but who knows how big the rock actually was. The mountain could be seen as one big rock too, so she really didn't know. Perhaps when she was older - had more problems to solve - she'd understand it all better. For now, she was one smart little girl for her age. Dad, do ya think problems are the reason we live? She asked innocently. They walked the borders, their life, with all these problems - but without them, the road would be awfully boring.

Really? She cheered with a smile, forgetting about the mountain for now. Oh, how they would be proud of her back at Donnelaith and Blackrock! She had grown indeed, and had learned so much from her now daddy. She was a heir now, she had a family she never had before. And somehow, she felt that it was all because of Darky. If the dark mute had not approached her, she would've never met Szymon - or Doe, or the other little girl, or Arturo or Lotte... She needed to thank her for that some day.

Arturo's words made Chusi glow with pride as she noticed they were almost done with their borderwork. What a shame, the girl loved spending time with her father. Little did she know that her dad had the hots for her former caretaker, and had so selfishly let her go alone. Perhaps she would understand someday, but for now she was just very happy.
**Join THE VELINGAR!**
630 Posts
Ooc — Phi
Master Guardian
i think this seems like a good place to wrap this up! we should definitely have an updated thread when chusi would realistically be back from her trip. <3 feel free to archive as is or archive with your post. :D

The question that Chusi next posed to Arturo was worded innocently but the connotations, the reality of it was vast. Searching for an answer to life that Arturo wasn't sure he had. He wasn't sure anybody truly knew the meaning of life; but she hadn't asked about what just anybody thought. She had asked him. Arturo deliberated for a moment, contemplating it carefully. It was rare that Arturo questioned life and why they were put on the earth to live. It didn't much matter to him, really. What mattered was that they were there and that he deigned to make something of his time spent alive. But did he think that the reason they were alive was because of problems? “No,” He finally responded. “I think problems are just a part of life but not the reason that we live.” Was it for love? For accomplishments? Or was it so much more simpler than that? Did they exist simply to pass on their genetic lines until they reached genetic perfection? “I don't know why we live Chusi, no one does. We simply do. Perhaps everyone has a different reason, a reason that they believe that works for them.” A reason that would not match up with others.

Chusi did not seem to pick up on his change of demeanor when he spoke of Lotte and though the urge to accompany her simply for the sake of seeing his sweet nightingale again was almost too strong to resist Arturo knew that he had to let Chusi do it on her own. He had to give her some leave or else he believed the tightened leash would simply cause her to rebel even more (and he could barely stand the rebellion she showed now). He did not want to have his paw forced to punish her. He would but he was hoping to avoid it at all costs by giving her freedoms within reason. But oh! How he desired to see Lotte again. He thought then, of asking Chusi to relay a message for Lotte but bit the inside of his cheek against the idea. She hadn't appeared to have taken note and he wasn't ready to tell her of his feelings for Lotte yet. Especially not before he knew anything for sure when it came to the scarfed mummer. “Let me know when you are ready to set out. I'll make sure you eat a big breakfast and are prepared for the trip. And you take the route I give you, no detours. You go straight to Blackrock Depths and Donnelaith and come straight back.” Because Arturo was a father, after all and had to set rules in efforts to ensure that Chusi's trip would be safe (since he wasn't going to be there to ensure it personally).
[/td][/tr][/table]
i bare my bloody teeth