Redhawk Caldera 99 red balloons
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
All Welcome 
Although she was tempted to try some more of the crumbled poppies (brand name: Poppy Powder™), Raven resisted. She didn't need them the way others in the pack did and she didn't want to waste resources. Then she somehow managed to twist her ankle by tumbling into a rabbit hole and she decided it would be better to use some of the red dust to alleviate her pain rather than use some of her other herbs. They were much scarcer, after all, while she still had plenty of Poppy Powder™ and could theoretically get more at anytime.

Thirty minutes after dosing, Raven could be found wandering the edges of the rendezvous site, a dopey smile on her face. She felt light as air, despite the fact that she was largely walking on three legs. For some reason, she couldn't stop thinking about Kaizer and their recent bonding session. It had been so intimate. It didn't even seem to matter that her mother had quite likely mated with him, might even be carrying his pups. Raven decided, right then and there, that she was rather in love with him.
incautious red wrecking ball amwelles · amwelles
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
Bumping to present-day because it’s convenient for me to do so. Deal w/it.

She had coupled with Kaizer as much as possible while keeping it hidden away from the rest of the pack. They could draw their conclusions however they wanted, but Fox would deny them through-and-through. The children were Peregrine’s, and her shift in mood made her confident that she was, in-fact, with child(ren). The twice-before mother wouldn’t know for sure for another couple of weeks, but she knew the odd, pleasant feeling that preceded it.

As always, she planned to return to her yearly denning site where she would begin lurking more frequently throughout the winter. There she would begin preparations, nesting, and generally being a crazy pregnant lady (as was her usual routine). She had been headed in that direction when she spotted Raven and changed her course so she’d end up meeting her daughter.

”Hey, Raven,” Fox greeted, nuzzling her daughter gently on the cheek.
Pregnancy timeline (RHC members only)
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
I'm cool w/ it, madre.

Should she say something to him? Yes, of course! Raven decided, suddenly walking with more purpose. She would hunt down Kaizer and declare her affections for him. Hopefully they were mutual. Perhaps the two of them could become mates, maybe even have a family. She had never really contemplated these things but suddenly the mere thought of settling down put butterflies in her belly.

Fox's arrival surprised a jump out of her. She caught herself and began laughing even as she returned the nuzzle. "Mom, hi!" she chirped, feeling very buoyant, until she remembered that Fox and Kaizer might have something going on between them. Her mother might even be carrying his pups right now. Oh, right. Oh, crap. Seeing her mother in the flesh really put that into perspective.

Feeling guilty and giggly, Raven made a ham-fisted attempt to divert her mother (forgetting that Fox couldn't read her mind at the moment) and blurted, "Do you think Eljay is single? Maybe if he fell in love—with me—he'd feel better." That was some top notch medical advice right there.
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
Raven went quickly from a greeting to a rather odd question and a horrible idea. ”Eljay?” Fox asked incredulously. ”Raven, he’s not good enough for you.” It was no secret that Fox thought he was weak, a little bit lazy, and definitely way too soft for somebody like her daughter. Elwood and Finley were fine wolves by themselves, but somehow all of their children had ended up… well… pretty darn weak. Eljay was the worst of the Blackthorn kids, and he didn’t seem to be getting any better with age.

”Besides, I don’t think anything is going to make him feel better. He can’t handle his emotions very well.” As in, he had way too many of them. Fox didn’t even want to imagine how he’d act if he was ~in love.~ It sounded absolutely awful, and she shuddered at the thought.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Her mother's unexpected vehemence set Raven into a fit of giggles. They were slightly nervous, as if she couldn't believe that Fox actually thought so much of her and so little of Eljay. He had been around this entire time, presumably contributing to the pack, whereas Raven had been lost in the wilderness for over six months. Titter after titter spilled from her mouth as these thoughts bounced around her head.

The Alpha female's next comment sobered her into silence punctuated with a little gasping laugh here or there. "I'm trying to help him," she said feebly. "He wants to be a midwife, you know. Maybe he could help you..." Her yellow eyes suddenly bored into Fox's flank, as if she was trying to scan her insides for signs of wee unborn pups. If she was with child, she wasn't showing yet.

Trying to gather her wits and ignore the floating sensations in her head and body, Raven asked, "Hey, how're you feeling anyhow?"
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
The thought of Eljay being anywhere near her while she was giving birth was downright mortifying. He was, as far as she was concerned, incompetent. He wasn’t, of course, but Fox was terribly judgmental when it came to the Blackthorn children. ”I think I’d be more comfortable having you there,” Fox replied, brushing her muzzle against Raven’s. She wasn’t sure if she’d allow Kaizer anywhere near her at that time. Nor was she entirely sure he would stick around. Fox had gotten what she potentially needed from him.

”Tired, but… I think… I think you’ll get some more siblings soon.” Fox touched her own side, even though there was no way to tell for sure at this point. ”I’ll start working on the whelping den soon.” The past two years, she had used the same one. She hadn’t quite decided if she was going to reuse it this year, due to Peregrine’s absence. It was hard to go anywhere without some memory of him popping into her head.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
It was a sensitive issue and Raven didn't want to push her mother, though she wondered, "What if we were both there? That way, I could teach him." She wasn't an expert herself. It would be a learning experience for them both, if the Alpha female allowed it.

Her mother seemed almost certain she was carrying pups, which made a bubble of joy blossom in Raven's chest. She almost shouted gleefully but remembered herself at the last second. She did smile, perhaps a little foolishly, as she pictured these younger siblings who might even now be growing in Fox's womb.

"I'd love to help," Raven said, quite possibly overly enthusiastically, "with anything, I mean. If there's anything you need, I want to be there for you. I love you, mom, and I—I already love them too..." she continued, gazing almost wistfully at Fox's flat middle.
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
Fox was still incredibly skeptical of having Eljay there, so she gave a noncommittal shrug in response. Raven's rather sweet and sentimental outpouring of love made Fox beam with delight. Unlike Raven, it always took Fox a little bit longer to really fall in love with her kids. The first few weeks, they didn't seem like they had any kind of personality at all. Perhaps that was part of the reason her family always waited to name them. Or maybe it was hard to name them until they had a little more going on up in their heads. The matriarch did love Raven, though. And Wildfire, and even Nightjar and Ferret (wherever they were).

"I'm sure they'll love you just as much," Fox replied, brushing up against Raven affectionately. She withdrew, then contemplated on what to do about Kaizer, if anything. Fox still wasn't sure if he was capable of being a leader, and she had a feeling he would claim rights to the children, despite them definitely being Peregrine's (at least as far as Fox was concerned). If he tried anything stupid, she could always chase him out with the help of her long-standing comrades.

"What do you think of Kaizer?" Fox asked.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Oh, Fox's words tickled her pink. Raven's insides squirmed in the most joyous of ways as she pictured those little potatoes with legs. How many would there be? Would they be boys or girls? How involved would her mother let her be in helping to raise them? Gosh, she hoped Fox would really let her step up as a big sister, to make up for some lost time and opportunity with this year's litter. Maybe she would even become a midwife and sitter right along with Eljay.

Because her heart was basically bursting at the seams—and let's not forget the opiates flooding her system—Raven promptly answered, "Oh, I just love him." It wasn't often that a cheesy grin could be found on Raven's face but there was one there now. Yes, she thought quite highly of Kaizer and she adored the way he'd touched her the other day. "I love him and you and the puppies and the caldera and everyone and everything!" she announced blithely.

She didn't even give the Alpha female a chance to respond to that before saying, "I really want to take care of you and them. Especially since they won't have a..." And just like that, the raw edge of grief sawed her high in half. Raven suddenly chewed her lip and visibly drooped, glancing apologetically at Fox for reminding her of the loss.
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
Raven went on what Fox could only describe as a love rant. Fox tilted her head in mild amusement but didn't think too much of it. It was the last little bit that stung, though no anger was directed at her daughter. Instead, Fox's ears flattened and she licked her lips. Her tail dropped behind her, and she frowned. She knew Raven hadn't meant anything by it, but it didn't make the loss hurt any less.

"I know you do," Fox finally managed to say, stuffing any emotions deep down somewhere where she wouldn't have to deal with them. "I want you to, too. They'll be just fine with us taking care of them; I know it."
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Raven was done raving, that was for sure. Her yellow eyes dropped guiltily to her paws when she saw Fox wilt a little at the reminder of what was lost. She didn't seem to hold it against her daughter, though, and a tentative smile began blossoming on the Gamma's lips when Fox appeared to be in agreement. The pups' father was gone, though they would not want for the support of loved ones.

"I'll help you stock the den with furs and stuff. Then I'll bring you food and herbs every day," Raven promised, the effects of the poppies wearing off enough now that she recognized that she was babbling. Not that it stopped her. "If there's anything you need—anything at all—you just let me know, okay?" She paused, then recalled what Fox had said earlier. "Would you like something to help you sleep? Or maybe something to wake you up?"
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
”Something to help me sleep would be grand,” Fox replied, thinking how much Raven was like her father. Always wanting to help in whatever way she could. It was strange having her daughter dote on her when normally it would be Peregrine running frantically about, trying to make sure she had everything she needed. Still, Fox was glad she could count on somebody, even if it wasn’t who she was used to.

It wasn’t even that Fox was having much trouble sleeping these days (cooking newborns was tiring work), but staying asleep was a whole different story. ”Thanks again for all your help, Raven. I’m so glad you came back when you did.” It was unfortunate she had missed her father’s final days, but Fox would take what she could get.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
There was a bit of a melancholic tone to her smile as she replied, "Me too, mom," and then motioned for Fox to follow her as she led the way to the badger den. She still felt a little lightheaded in the best possible way, though largely she had come down from her poppy-induced high. It would be no trouble at all to sift through her meager stash and find a little something to help Fox catch and keep some much needed z's.

After dosing the Alpha female, Raven offered herself as a pillow and flopped to the ground right where the garden had once grown. Maybe she would try to replant it in the spring. For now, her pregnant mother's comfort was her only concern as she gently licked between Fox's ears as the medication hopefully lulled her into a restful sleep.