Stone Circle winter's arrival
122 Posts
Ooc — Nadia
All Welcome 
I'm gonna make this into a caregiver thread so @Keoni and/or @Nikai, you're welcome to hop in! Additionally, @Amber can jump in (that might get interesting but drama points! XD)
That morning was the first in which the birds were awake and the sun wasn't. Or it was the first that Belle had been awake to come across, that is. With the nips of winter's breath rolling down her spine, Belle thought it time she actually did work to start on her cache. She'd had a mental "shopping" list before setting out, though it seemed actually finding what she needed would be harder than she'd thought. 
Lavender was most important to her, mostly because she was tired of her den smelling of squirrel remains and dirt, but also because of the puppies within the territory. She didn't necessarily want to preserve the lives of the infants (cold-hearted, but they weren't hers and she silently doubted them making it through the winter without a mother anyway) but having them die of Puppycough while she was the healer on call. Thus, she stuffed her nose as far into the bushel she could and ripped away a branch. Her tail was high as she marched proudly toward her cache, humming silently through her filled jowls.
Sometimes you just have to throw on a crown and show them who they're dealing with.
227 Posts
Ooc —
I need some Caregiver threads ;) Amber will learn, even if she doesn't like the teacher

Amber knew a few herbs here and there, mostly just the basics and some random other things, but she was far from being the healer she wanted to be. Waddling across the lands of Easthollow, her curioustity was the only reason that her paws didn't keep her moving right on past Belle. Had the woman not had a mouthful of herbs, Amber might have just kept going. 

But she didn't. Pulling to a halt, she turned her sappire gaze on Mirabelle with a questioning, curious, but kind look.

"You anxious or somethin'?"

Lavender, she'd been taught, was something to ease anxiety, or to simply make things or places smell good.
[Image: Z077D80.jpg]
122 Posts
Ooc — Nadia
Unaware of Amber's aversion to Belle -- she herself didn't necessarily dislike the pregnant woman, she just preferred not to mingle with parents -- she thought nothing of it when the mother-to-be stopped in her path. Anxious? Why would she be anxious? Is there a reason I should be? she asked, now that she'd dropped the herbs at her feet and had regained the ability to speak.
Didn't the woman say she was a caregiver? How could she, a pregnant she-wolf, not know the basics of puppy care? Lavender is a treatment for Puppycough, a respiratory infection found in infants. Here at Easthollow, Belle said, casually leaning to look at Amber's swollen belly, we seem to have plenty of them roaming around. Its good to be prepared.
Sometimes you just have to throw on a crown and show them who they're dealing with.
227 Posts
Ooc —
Much as she really didn't want to deal with the woman, Amber was drawn in by the new information given. Her ears cupped forward, ocean orbs blinking a couple of rapid times. 

"Oh, I'd only ever heard that it was used as something to sooth -- I know about puppycough, but I was taught to treat that with, um.... coltsfoot or chickweed."

She had to pause to remember -- healer in training, remember? -- but eventually came up with a correct answer. She gave a pleased smile, happy with remembering a useful bit of knowledge she'd picked up over her life.
122 Posts
Ooc — Nadia
Belle furrowed her brow upon hearing how little the woman knew of such a valuable herb's healing properties. Just how much do you know about herbs? Belle asked. She didn't really mean to be so condescending, but it always seemed to work out that way. A sigh escaped her lips before she decided to propose an idea.
Pros? Steady might think I'm doing something good for the pack and move me up...
Cons? Having to deal with a pregnant chick everyday.
If you'd like to learn more, Belle began, I'm willing to teach you. Maybe we got off on the wrong foot. Though the offer was on the table, it should be noted that Belle's intentions were less than sincere. Her voice remained rigid with the calling of a truce, for she refused to falter her façade for even a moment.
227 Posts
Ooc —
Belle's scolding tone brought the ebony Ciel's muzzle wrinkling back, revealing the tips of her ivory fangs, and her ears fanned back to her nape. 

"I learned some stuff on the road, okay? Sorry I'm not a fuckin' pro."

Grumbling, she almost didn't hear the offer -- but her sapphire eyes went wide in surprise as they flickered uncertainly from the herbs to Belle. Maybe they got off on the wrong foot didn't seem to cover what Amber felt about the woman, but given the current situation.... Perhaps Amber could keep with a steady truce while she learned. 

"Y-You'd do that? Teach me?" 
122 Posts
Ooc — Nadia
Belle was taken aback by Amber's backlash, but not for longer than a second. It made sense that she'd be so sensitive, what with all the hormones flowing through her body. Belle made a note to herself to try and find a way to fix that but as for now a different problem sat on the table. I would.
But before I can help, I do need you to tell me how much you know. Why that was such an issue for Amber, Belle couldn't tell, but it was the first thing that had to be cleared from the air if any lessons were to pass.
227 Posts
Ooc —
Amber had all but forgotten the harsh words she'd spewed moments before, and a slight embarrassment overtook her at first -- she'd picked up a couple things here and there, but she was far from an expert.

"The basics. Cobwebs or moss to pack wounds, marigold to keep away infection. Borage to help milk flow. Maybe a few more somewhere in the dust, but not much."

Her ocean eyes flickered again to the lavender, wondering what Belle could teach her. This could be her ticket to Caregiver.
122 Posts
Ooc — Nadia
It's a start, Belle said after releasing a soft sigh, but you have a bit to learn. She scooped the herbs back into her mouth and began a slow walk back to the cache. Maybe before verging into specific herbs, we should talk about medicine in general. Her words were muffled, but she hoped that they were clear enough for Amber to get the gist. Once she arrived at the little spot beside her den and dropped the lavender, she turned to her student (Belle assumed that Amber had been following behind her) and began to speak once again.
The truth is that this can be a very boring and tedious field to delve into. As you said, you've already learned a few things, so I can assume that this is something that pulls your interest. That'll be useful once the information begins flooding in.
Though her words were light-hearted, her voice and expression remained stoic. You'll need a cache. You can use mine, if you'd like. Steady told me about another one around here somewhere, but I'm not sure I can point you in the right direction. Since you're almost done with your pregnancy, I would recommend one closer to home, so either you or your mate can dig it out, I suppose. Once you have that done, we can begin with lessons. Belle flashed a quick smile to Amber but quickly returned to her neutral appearance. It was a lot for a first day, but compared to those that would soon come, this lesson was a breeze.