Swiftcurrent Creek Pacific
Lurker
417 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
[mate]

Tuwawi rested upon a grassy embankment near the creek, happy to bask in the half-clouded sun amongst the soft sound of the babbling waters. It was serene here, in the heart of the territory; picturesque in every way. Some trees had already begun to grow fresh new leaves of Spring, while other remained dressed in flowery blooms. Her creamy chin rested top folded paws as she dozed in and out of consciousness, enjoying the fresh air and good weather. However, a misty scent hung in the air... it was to rain by late afternoon.

When she was awake, the ember preened her fur, especially across the belly. Impatience had set in as she waited for any signs of life, unaware it would be a long while before anything visible would show. There was a distinct lack of knowledge in the area of pregnancy and motherhood, made less by the fact that no healer was amongst them. In fact, most wolves in Swiftcurrent hadn't even sired children, let alone birth them. Only Ferdie had fathered young, she had heard, though the extent of his know-how was a mystery. Who knew? In some packs the fathers were practically absent throughout the whole ordeal. It was quite possible the man had come from such a place.

In the mean time, she could only hope for the best and for now, the Northerner's wife felt stronger than ever. In due time she would succumb to the difficulties of motherhood though she was blessed to be supported by Swiftcurrent.
currently sports a radio collar around her neck. 
Tempt the devil with an Angel's grace.
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
My poor awkward boy I apologize he's so awkward.

Jace had run at dawn and he had fished for awhile and patrolled the border and now he found that he was restless and anxious and irritated. And he had no clue why, in part it was blow back from the other day when he had offended the older warden without meaning too and of course like the coltish youth that he was he had run away for fear of making the situation worse. A sadness lurked around him of late a feeling of despair what was he to do if he made no friends and just kept offending people. Thus far he had pretty much offended everyone he had met except for Nightingale. He shook his head angry at himself.

Thinking he should maybe offer a better apology he ran off into the woods and hunted for some fresh game for the northern warrior Njal. He stalked the small hares throughout their lairs and with a quick snap of his jaws and some paw strikes he had three laying at his feet. He sighed and looked at them picking them up gently.

He followed the other's scent to the den that he must share with his mate and as he got there he noticed the mate but not the male. With that he stopped a good few feet away from her and chuffed quietly and lay the rabbits down at his feet. "Well Met Tuwawi I brought some food for Njal and you. Is he here? The boy didn't want to cause any more issues and he did not want to make anyone mad by being near her as he really didn't know how the older male thought of him at this point.
Lurker
417 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Tuwawi's eyes fluttered to a close as sleep whisked her away. Soft gusts of air shifted a hazy cloud in front of the sun and large shadow swathed the creek dimly. She was thankful for it... it cooled the warm light and offered darkness to help her sleep. Only the gentle swishing of grass roused her, altering the red woman to an encroaching figure.

Her head perked up to see Jace lingering nearby, a healthy catch of three hares dangling from his jaws. Tuwawi couldn't help but lick her chops, hoping greedily that they might be gifts for her. The great hunger associated with pregnancy had not hit her yet, though in her mind she knew not to refuse a well-intentioned meal. Her expression brightened when she was informed the rabbits, were in fact, for her. "No, he is out," she responded as her eyes flickered to meet Jace's. Njal was probably out patrolling, as that was his primary duty.

She extended an arm, and softly patted the patch of grass besides her, inviting Jace (and the rabbits) closer.
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace saw her lick her jaws and he smiled tentatively and with reservation he walked towards her. He placed the hares near her and then backed up to sit next to her and spoke softly "I hope I'm not disturbing you. I came to apologize to Njal for offending him the other day. I like the child that I am ran from him instead of offering a full apology and I wanted to fix that. he hung his head like a sorry little boy that had just gotten in trouble.

he had not had the intention of telling Tuwawi this but it slipped out. Perhaps he was looking for the chance to apologize to at least someone. Maybe he wanted some insight into the older male. He was not sure either way all he knew was that he had opened the doors and now he had to except what was to come.
Lurker
417 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Tuwawi's limbs straightened beneath her to haul herself up into a sitting position as Jace moved closer. Gingerly, his head lowered to deliver his catch, all three rabbits plump and still tepid. Their dusky hair was matted with blood and saliva, but they were fat and strong looking; certainly gifts of a generous Spring. This was Tuwawi's first season within Swiftcurrent, and each day the land proved to be well worth protecting. She made a mental note to further inspect the warrens and trails of their usual prey, to better monitor their supply. "Mm, a fine catch," she said to compliment the young man's skill as her tail wagged in earnest mirth. She placed a paw on the largest one, dragging it close, before slicing its belly open with an able fang.

Mmmmm, Tuwawi hummed as she took a mouthful of the richer organs like the heart and liver. It was freaking delicious! Perhaps the bunny had been dining on thistle blossoms, for the meat was unusually tender and sweet. She made quick work of the first, appetite becoming unabashedly ravenous. Tuwawi tried to control herself for etiquette's sake as she laid down onto her belly, clutching the eviscerated meal to pick every last morsel from its bones. Even the skin and hair was not spared... unlike Bazi who seemed to prefer drying those pieces outside her den for later use. Quickly, she moved onto the second.

Her ears tilted forward to better hear Jace, and it spurred her to look up from her supper. He has offended Njal? For a moment, Tuwawi's expression was puzzled. It wasn't in her husband's nature to be so easily insulted. Sure, the Northerner could be commanding or blunt... but truly he was an understanding sort, with a penchant for teaching wolves of any backgrounds. "Oh?" the firewife commented, honestly confused, "what did you say to him? I am sure it is water under the bridge... though, his mate certainly appreciates the apology." She smirked, burying her snout into the second hare, eyes fixed on the darker male. An singular ear twisted as she contemplated her husband's position and wondered if she should seek him out to talk.
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace dipped his head a smile lighting up his expressive blue eyes. He had been proud of the kills as well. They were plump and full rabbits and he had done his best to catch the largest. Both for the apology and to make sure that Tuwawi had good food for any babies that maybe coming. Though he knew her mate would do this for her, he liked to help and it was mostly for his apology anyway. "Thank you

Jace chuckled at her appetite, but it did not bother him her lack of ettiquette he thought it foolish to try to control yourself when you were obviously hungry. They were animals after all and though not savage as many things, they still had a deeper predatory gene than most so it was perfectly normal to him for others to eat happily and deeply.

Jace frowned and said quietly "I merely told him that if he wanted a day to just be lazy with you I would hunt for the two of you and leave it at the den. I also told him that I was tasked with filling the caches and patrolling the borders more so right now so he could spend time with you by Fox. Though I did not put it as eloquently then I don't believe. Then when I noticed that he was a bit upset about it, rather than stay and talk to him I ran away like a cowed youth to upset to do anything. I do not have very good skills with others I am not a social wolf by nature. He dipped his head hoping to shed a little light on the situation.
Lurker
417 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Tuwawi devoured the second hare a bit slower than the first, allowing herself the pleasure of savoring such a fine meal after her stomach had been partially filled. Already she eyed the third course with a discerning gaze. Could she top it off and eat that one completely? Now that the edge had been taken off the hunger, courtesy tugged in the back of her mind. Would it be rude to eat all three? Should she save at least one for Njal? Bury it in a cache? Offer it to Jace? Truly, Tuwawi was fortunate to have such simple worries.

The excuse of pregnancy could be used... if it were not for the fact that Tuwawi didn't exactly know if she was pregnant or not. No natural signs had offered a hint at that status, though she only knew of the physical ballooning of the belly. It was too soon to tell, and the expectant mother hoped to the high Sun and Earth that neither she or Njal would be discovered sterile.

Little crunches of thin, rabbit's bone delighted Tuwawi as Jace explained himself. The story unraveled easily, and though the northerner's wife understood Njal's frustration, she couldn't help by sympathize with Jace's plight. The gaunt youth was quick to deprecate himself, a figurative Eeyore with a befallen, troubled gaze. "Ahh," she sighed as she tried to think the best way to explain. "I would not fret too much, Jace. Njal... he is... a very proud man. Very... independent." Tuwawi's sentence was rather broken as she searched for the right words. It made sense that her husband felt he needed to be the singular provider and protector. He was a hardened man of the North who had often traveled alone. Perhaps the participation of the whole pack was too overwhelming? Already each Swiftcurrent member had shown great interest in their potential children, and she doubted this infatuation would lessen.

She nibbled the second rabbit's fatty skin as she pondered this. "You are too hard on yourself. You are doing more than is expected, and I am sure he will recognize it... eventually." Her eyes fluttered away for a moment as she attempted to lighten the mood, "besides, I don't think he realizes the trouble he is the fatter I get! They say expecting women have the strangest food cravings in the dead of night. I am sure he will be wishing he had some nicely stored caches by the burrow, then. Hah!" She grinned at the yearling and reached a paw out to genially cuff his shoulder, hoping to raise his spirits. Sheepishly, she looked down at the third rabbit and asked in a low voice, "are... you going to eat that?"
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace saw her eyeing the third hare and smiled to himself softly. He was glad she found enjoyment in her meal. It meant he had done something correctly. He tilted his head and spoke quietly My father always told me pride goeth before the fall. He didn't really know 100 percent what that meant, but he did know too much pride was bad. It could really hurt you eventually.

Jace laughed outloud at her words of cravings and nightime hunts. "I'll make sure to keep rabbits in abundance around your den. he smiled sheepishly feeling a bit better that someone else was treating him nicely and he hadn't offended her. Jace chuckled and pushed the rabbit towards her No go ahead. You'll need your strength for the coming times. he tilted his head and offered her a smile. She reminded him a good deal of his sister and he found he missed her even more. Do you ever miss your former home?
Lurker
417 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
When the adolescent made no intention to claim the hare for himself, Tuwawi immediately chowed down. Roughly, she dragged the last carcass from its resting place to her plate to chew it idly while her guest continued to comment. He was pensive, but clear of mind. However, one phrase struck the Iota as rather odd... My father always told me pride goeth before the fall.

Was that... a burn? Tuwawi's eyes narrowed skeptically as her chewing slowed to a halt. Her steely gaze drifted over Jace's innocent visage, ignorant to what the saying implied. She would have to give the youth the benefit of the doubt, lest the lesson offered by his sire be misconstrued for an insult. "You should be mindful to be wary of that harsh expression," she mumbled through her teeth as she gnawed at the succulent stew, "some wolves... especially your pack brothers... might not be keen on you prophesying their demise because of personality... Mm, imperfections." her voice was calm in tone however stale in inflection. A turbulent look in her eyes was cast over the youth as if to silently scold his impudence, though the storm was quick to pass. Her attention returned to the rabbit.

"Pride is a good asset to have. Too much humility makes you soft with weak convictions." It was sage advice. Certainly, Jace could take more pride in the work he performed in Swiftcurrent's name. To Tuwawi he seemed a skillful youth, however largely lacking in self confidence. Yet, there was always room to grow.

As if to offer respite, the conversation turned. "Sometimes," Tuwawi answered. It would be a lie to say she never thought of Windrunner Plains, Sterntooth, and Skydancer; though she felt her true home belonged wherever Njal resided. "I think of my first pack, back in Seahawk, often. They were like family to me. More than my blood relatives ever had been."
1,007 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Jace of course grimaced and shifted and spoke quietly "See what I mean. I don't always think before I speak. And I know that pride in what you do and who you are is a good thing. But I merely meant that too much pride, that keeps you from asking for help can be a bad thing. Though I am sure your Njal does not need help he seems very capable and that is why I wished to apologize. I had not realized that me offering to help would...how do you say....make him feel bad. That was the only way the black youth knew how to say what was on his mind and he had a distinct feeling that he had butchered even that explanation. He was just not used to talking to anyone. He was an inquisitive youth one who preferred knowledge to company, though he found as he aged he longed for company as well.

He tilted his head when she spoke and nodded "that is good advice Tuwawi. Thank you. He really needed to work on his social skills.

He smiled softly at her admission I find that I do not miss my home as much as my family, much like you though they were blood. I think though that anyone can become your family it does not have to be by blood.
I am more easily attainable for threads now. But please do bear in mind that I have three children under the age of five at home. And they do take up a lot of my time.
Lurker
417 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Sorry I know this is wicked old, but I wanted to tack on a post so we can count it

Tuwawi listened as Jace explained, and she nodded at his sensible words. "I understand, and you're welcome. I am sure everything is water over stones, now. I wouldn't lose too much sleep." Time would tell how each of their roles would fit into Swiftcurrent, yet neither of them could predict the changes that would come in the following months. For now, Tuwawi enjoyed the youths presence, the shining sun, and a stomach full of food. She yawned lazily, listening to Jace speak fondly of kin.

"I agree," the saffron female noted as she laid her slim face across her lightly colored paws. "What is that saying... home is where the heart it? My first pack, Kindred... they were like true blood to me, and Swiftcurrent... well... we will see how time treats it." She yawned, reflecting on the memories of her first pack and slowly drifted off to sleep.