Sunbeam Lair Bardy Bard
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska had gotten to the pack that Grayday directed him to. The first two wolves he met were kind enough. Short on words, but at least they didn't try to kill him, even though he had sparred with one. But no blood had been drawn. He needed to touch up on his fighting skills anyway, so he made a mental note to visit the one he sparred with, perhaps get some training from her. As for now, he wanted to explore where he could, and where he had not as of yet. And that is just what he did, wandering around and looking about.

Forward-dated to 15th March @Anouke
40 Posts
Ooc — Killi
[table width=85%][tr][td]

Throughout the forest tucked away within the caverns, Anouke wandered, nose to the earth, pausing here and there when a scent became stronger, more concentrated. She searched with profound curiosity about what sort of life these caves could sustain; was there a source of prey in here? She had many questions about her new home, questions that would have to wait until either she spoke with Asterr or she came upon the answers herself. In any case, she was almost fully comfortable in Ryujin. That did not, however, mean that she was going to stop exploring any time soon.

A familiar scent wafted amongst the drafts of the lair. Within the next few moments, Anouke found herself face-to-face with Chaska, the handsome young wolf with whom she had explored Ryujin for the very first time. Chaska! A smile illuminated her dark features, ears lowering as she drew up to him, sniffing his face, and bumping the soft fur of his cheek with her maw in a friendly, platonic sort of greeting. She could not have him suspecting that she had a crush on him; it was too soon, and in any case, she doubted he would ever want to be with a weak creature such as herself.

Inferiority complex aside, Anouke fell into step beside him. Where are y-you off to t-today?
[/tr][/td][/table]
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska caught sight of Anouke when she caught sight of him. A light smile appeared. She was the third wolf he met here, and the one he had so far spent the most time with in their little adventure. She was an interesting wolf, always being rather nervous. He assumed that from how she stuttered her question.

He shrugged, moving in step with her. "No idea. Was just going around, seeing what I haven't seen yet." He had no real goal of where to head exactly, just anywhere. "Want to see what else is about? Or, if you have something else in mind..." He dropped off there, as if a suggestion for her to think of something if she had anything.
40 Posts
Ooc — Killi

Hmm.. she hummed, biting her lip while trying to decide what to do, and very pleased that he wished to spend some additional time with her. Anouke had never formed any real friendships, but Chaska seemed to be a likely candidate. She was bashful in approaching others, but it was more than that -- many canines found her personality off-putting, due to her anxious demeanor and frequently stuttered words. She had always longed for a friend, however... Someone who was able to look beyond her faults and enjoy her for who she was. 

I was just... just wondering if other animals live in here. Prey animals, specifically. D-do you know? If trees and plants could survive within the caves, why not rabbits and rodents? She swiped her rose-pink tongue about her lips, suddenly realizing how dry they had become. I-I'm a little thirsty. Would you want to find some water with... with me? Her eyes grew as large as a doe's.

[/tr][/td][/table]
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska remained still as she was deep in thought about ideas. He arched a brow as he waited. She had an interesting character, and he quite liked the color of her eyes. He was always fascinated by the uniqueness of some eyes. And purple like hers, he had rarely seen as far as he can remember. 

He too wondered if there were prey animals in this place. Where did the pack hunt, outside the caverns? He assumed so, if there were none inside. Birds, on the other hand. Well, there were trees. "No idea." His head tipped a bit to the side when she spoke of thirst. "Well...I guess we could. Don't know where any might be, though."
40 Posts
Ooc — Killi

"I hear the birds singing in the morning... b-but, I haven't actually seen one in here. It could just be coming from the outside." The  birds awoke her every morning; she relied upon them. However, the actual location of the birds was still a mystery, and for the newcomers, it remained to be seen what other forms of life were supported in the cave environment. 

"Perhaps there is a spring in here, or a brook," she proposed, trotting along beside him, her nose twitching for the smell of water. She did not detect it just yet, leading her to believe they had a ways to go before they discovered a water source. Anouke was silent for a short while, afraid of conversation, especially since she thought he was handsome. At last, however, she found her voice, and shoved her anxiety as far away as she could manage. "Chaska... where are you from?" 

[/tr][/td][/table]
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
"They could be anywhere. We might just have to find them, won't we?" He too had heard some birds, but never really went looking for said birds. He had no reason to, not till now. It was like a game of exploration, one they both were taking part in. 

He nodded. There was a chance that a spring was the case down here, a source of water. There was silence between them. He didn't know why he did not speak, at times like these he tened to be rather conversational. But she managed some words, words that halted him for a moment. "Uh...Well, I am from multiple places" he started, and went back to walking by her side. "Do you mean where I was born?"
40 Posts
Ooc — Killi
Anouke paused beside him, her expression quizzical. For a moment she wondered if she had asked too personal a question, for there was always a chance that his past was a painful one, one he preferred not to share with others. As it turned out, he was merely uncertain of what she meant. The two resumed walking. "Well, both," she said with a sunny smile. "If you don't... mind talking about it." She glanced at him with reassuring eyes, hoping to convey that he could share as much or as little as he wished with her.
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
He thought that might have been what she meant. Yet he was a bit hesitant, as he mostly told others when he knew them better. "Well...where I started...it started off great. A family, peaceful existance. Until a nearby pack decided otherwise..." There was a sorrowful look for a second. A long second. "I was the last alive, and I ran." It used to be a rather painful memory, but he had gotten used to remembering it. As with telling it, that was a different story. Every time he did tell it, however, it got better to tell it. 

"After that, I came upon a pack. I swore to serve under them as thanks for taking me in. After the alpha died, I left for time for....personal reasons. I returned, and then we all moved. A lot happened..." He sighed, remembering the one that had caught his breath. "Someone came one day, and I fell for her. It ended in me leaving the pack with her. Then she just disappeared. It was her eyes I fell for at first." He could never take away the memory of her eyes.
40 Posts
Ooc — Killi
Sadness came into her eyes as Chaska  spoke of his past. His demeanor became sorrowful, but he gave the information freely. I'm sorry if I upset you by asking... she said softly. That's horrible. I can't imagine going through that. Anouke was familiar with loss, but had never felt it deeply. It was her eldest sister who had passed, and while her death was mourned, Anouke had never been close with her.  She could not imagine a grief as great as Chaska's. He was a strong man to be able to talk about it... Anouke was sure that if such terrors had happened to her, she wouldn't have been able to talk about it without breaking down, without slipping into a deep depression.

He then began to answer her second question, and Anouke fell silent, listening with eager ears. He ended on yet another sorrowful note, cementing the idea that he'd lead a difficult life thus far. She looked away from him, facing forward, as he spoke of his lover's abandonment. She wanted to cry for him, but managed to keep her tears at bay I... I feel so badly that... that you went through those things. I just... You must be very strong. she added gently. Despite the heartbreaking conversation, Anouke was happy to lend him a listening ear. Learning about others almost always lead to the path of friendship.

What made you decide to join Ryujin? The more he told her about himself, the more she wished to know.
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska quickly shook his head. He hated it when others became upset for him, it made him guilty for doing so. He always wanted to see them smiling. That's another reason he told his stories, among others. "No, it's all right. Everyone finds out eventually." He missed them every night, everyone who had passed on or just disappeared from his life. Alway thought about them. He did not mention however that for the first few months after the tragedy, he had been deeply depressed. Tried to end it all a few times. Silvertip had saved him.

He managed a smile at the compliment, that was how he took it at least. "I try. Have to look forward, always. My storytelling helps me do that" he added, the smile growing a bit. Kept him sane, kept him happy. "I guess the romantic life just isn't for me." He learnt to accept that.

"A friend of the pack I had left to come here, after I was turned away, which was my fault...He came for me, and told me of this place. Told me there were some friendly wolves here." And he hadn't been wrong yet. "But enough about me, what about you? How did you come to be here?" He was interested in that now.
40 Posts
Ooc — Killi
Her smile returned when he spoke positive words, that they all must always look forward and never back. Being the pessimistic, fearful creature that she was, it was good to hear such uplifting words. They gave her hope, an anomaly that she often chased but could never seem to grasp. 

Thereafter, he essentially told her that he had given up on romance, to which Anouke shook her head. I don't think that is true, she contested. Just... just because your first relationship didn't last, doesn't mean you'll never find someone to love. I believe you will... you... you deserve it.  Romance was a frightening concept, one that the she-wolf had yet to endure, and beyond childhood crushes, she had no experience with it. However, she shared his fear of remaining alone and without a mate, doubting anyone could ever love her. 

She knew that her turn to talk was coming, and when it did, she sighed softly, although it pleased her to hear that he was interested in knowing more about her.  I came from a larger pack. Food was scarce and there were little ones -- my younger siblings -- and so I offered to strike out on my own to  lessen the number of mouths to feed... S-so the little ones had a chance to survive. Anouke yearned for her family often, and yet she was happy with the decision to leave them, for the sake of the young ones.

I tracked Ryujin from afar... and when I got here, I f-felt a sense of belonging. I am so happy to be here, she finished with a swish of her long, silky tail.
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
That drew a curious glance from Chaska. "I thought so too." Besides, he wasn't experienced at such partnerships in life. He had wanted it when he was young, very young. A foolish childhood dream was how he thought of it sometimes. Other times, he was somewhat hopeful. He had not completely turned his back on it. And perhaps never would. "Have you experienced it before?"

He gave a solemn nod toward her. "That was very brave of you. You left, so the young could live." Maybe braver than himself, who ran the first time the he ever saw a fight. Maybe that was why he preferred to talk his way out of fighting. "They would no doubt be thankful to you."
40 Posts
Ooc — Killi
Recalling her recent thoughts, Anouke shook her head. No... not yet. her voice softened as she looked away from him, hoping to dismiss the topic entirely. As it turned out, she didn't have to. He responded to her  story shortly thereafter, to which she responded with a grateful smile and a swift wag of her long, dense and soft tail. 

It is likely that they barely even remember me, she explained with a soft chuckle. But I'm just happy that they will have... They'll have a chance. You know? she asked with a cant of her pretty head. 

The soft whispers of a babbling brook came to her attention, and with a scan of the area ahead of her she found that the pair of them now stood only a few yards away from the brook, sliced into the stone floor of the cave, cascading over a bed of small boulders and pebbles. 

Look, Chaska, she spoke with a whip of her tail, her voice rising to a pitch of excitement. We found some! Her tail wagging with such speed that her rump wagged along with it, Anouke led him to the water's edge and gleefully began to drink the sweet-tasting water, filtered by the clean sediments through which it flowed. I've never tasted water so good. Her tone carried a hint of surprise, brow lifting as she looked at him to see if perhaps he agreed.
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
It was obvious after her answer that she did not speak of the topic any longer, and so he let it go himself. It was for the best, anyway. Her response to the response he gave to her story showed how grateful she was to it. It had been the truth, however. "That's good. As long as you know what you did was good, you won't ever doubt yourself."

He felt a question coming on, but it was dismissed when Anouke spotted same and said his name. He had a grin on his face to see the water they had been seeking. He bent down his head to the water to being lapping up. She spoke truth, the water was very good, and he enjoyed every drop. He paused, however, when the question came back up.

"Have you...did you ever think about going back?" he asked, turning his head slightly to her.
40 Posts
Ooc — Killi
The thirst which had wracked her body began to abate, and soon she was fully relieved. She drew her maw away from the water, swiping her tongue along her jaw to remove any stray droplets. She turned to face Chaska again with a smile, nearly losing herself in his warm brown eyes. "No, I don't," She blinked and looked away quickly, before hurrying to elaborate upon the question asked of her.

"I am happy to be on my own. I wasn't... wasn't happy where I was. My mother and I were n-not the closest." Her voice flattened as she spoke of her mother, a woman whom she deeply disliked, though she did not reveal the exact degree to which she disliked her. It would have been too disrespectful.

"What about you? Is there anywhere you would return to...? Any... any time in your life?" She plopped herself down beside the brook, and beside him.
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska tipped his head more at her answer. She attempted to elaborate on her answer, and then he completely understood. In his case with his mother it was completely the opposite, although he was also somewhat close to his father. Even though both were gone from this world.

She posed the same question him, only slightly changed. "If there was one place..." He didn't have to think very hard, if he were to be honest. "The pack I lived in before this. They gave me everything...But, I will try to make a living here, best I can." Grayday had said he would come back for him, although he was slowly becoming used to this place. In fact, his life there was pretty much behing him. Maybe one day, he would go back to visit.
40 Posts
Ooc — Killi
Though she appreciated the honesty, his answer troubled her, and she displayed this with a cant of her narrow head.  Many questions surged through her mind but she could not pick which ones to ask him. She did not wish to pry or to ask questions that would make him feel awkward. Obviously, this was a true thing to him, and she feared making him feel worse.

"It would be so hard to leave a place like that." Why had he left, then? Seeing how this could be a potentially painful question she kept it to herself. "I hope you can be happy here, too." She paused a moment, looking away from him, watching the water flow gently through the cave. "It's difficult to get used to such a small p-pack. But... it's charming. I'm starting to really like it." The ghost of a smile tugged at her lips whilst she cast her periwinkle gaze down and then back towards him to see what he thought.
586 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Chaska nodded to her response. It had been very, very hard. "Yes...it was." The gray wolf kept his eyes on her when she turned away to the water. He could agree with the fact smaller packs were harder. It meant more work, as there were less wolves to share the workload.

"I am too. And I'm sure this pack will grow soon..." He looked back the way they came, and wondered if the rain was done. "Should we head back?"
40 Posts
Ooc — Killi
"I hope so," responded Anouke. It would certainly feel more like home if there were more wolves. More members meant more food and safety. At the suggestion to head back from where they had originated, the dark girl got to her feet, her tail folding around to follow her as she turned, nudging him softly. "Yes, sure," and together they returned to the main cavern, to continue with their day.