Golden Glade echo rings
bowsprit
231 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
He hunted on their fringes, withdrawn and somber as he continued to mourn the various absences he felt miserable about. Sometimes he did still wander in search of Tambourine, but it was a pointless endeavor and returning to the Glade (even draped in the warming glow of a deepening springtime) was getting more and more difficult to do.

Somewhere among the thick of their borderlands, he managed to pounce a rabbit that insisted on going down with possibly one of the noisiest, ugliest screeches he had ever met with. His ears pressed tight against his skull and he hurried along the killing blow. The silence was welcome, and the warm meat on his tongue was too. This one he did not intend to cache—not with hunger actually present enough to make him want it.

After a few big bites in, his appetite started to waiver fast and he started to regret the eagerness of a moment earlier. He immediately stopped his eating and proceeded to ruminate his anxious thoughts instead, all while pacing slowly with the rest of the carcass hanging slack from his jaws.
boops @ @Reek
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
For the first time since the temperature plunged into wintery depths, Reek had a sizable cache of herbs, roots, and other plants. All dried and prepared; ready for use. Though he had no intention of using any of his wares (as that would require anything from minor inconvenience to full on catastrophe), but they were good to have around. It brought a sense of security that Reek felt he had lost. He was a proper healer again.

It had been a daunting task, but Reek had finally finished organizing and taking inventory of his supply. Everything was in its right place. Tucked away, safe in a dry place at the heart of the woodland. There was a part of him that wondered if either of his sons would show an interest in the trade. Reek thought about bringing them by sometime, but he was reluctant to be that dad who bored his children with an odd passion for plants. But hell, why not?

So, he set out to look for his boys. He could give them the ol' crash course and they'd be boring little plant nerds in no time.

It was not his son that he ran into on the way, but instead it was Silas. He moved painfully slow, as if he were lost in some sort of trance. Reek stopped a few steps away. His tail waved amicably behind him. "You don't happen to think plants are cool, right?" Reek asked with a light shrug. Silas lived his life on the fringes of the pack, but Reek sought to draw him into inner circle somehow. They were a family (or, Reek wanted them to be). After Tambourine's dissapearance, Reek figured he'd be even more resistant. "There, uh -- there is a wrong answer to this." He smiled.
bowsprit
231 Posts
Ooc —
No matter how badly he tried to will it back, his appetite didn't seem to want to come back around and before he could make real progress on tricking himself into eating the rest of this, he lifted his head to the sound of an approach. Reek. Silas swallowed as nervously as he could with fur in his mouth, then watched the alpha stop a few paces away—which he appreciated far too much.

Too many mixed feelings threatened to roil. Above all else seemed to be a wary confusion that he could not rid himself of. Still, he ducked his head and minded his posture, deferring, just to err on the side of cautious since he knew damn good and well he wasn't exactly the picture of an ideal, model Golden Glade citizen and family member.

While he was down a bit, he gingerly placed the leftovers of the prey at his paws and peered at Reek, still a little confused as to why the subject matter was what it was. His mind might have been in a thousand different places, but he couldn't quite say plants had been one of them. "Uh.. they're okay." Silas answered, knowing how deadpan and uninterested that sounded, but he didn't mean for it to—not that badly, and not with there maybe being more to this than met the surface. He couldn't tell. "Important." He amended quietly a beat later for he did have a healthy respect of it all. "My mom was a medic," he also mentioned with a nod, having once been a young boy helping her carry stuff, or picking certain flowers because she said they were useful, or whatever else.
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
crappy phone post

Despite Reek's best efforts Silas remained mostly impenetrable. However, as deadpan and unenthusiastic as his delivery was, the revelation that the boy's mother was a healer was the most information Reek had ever received about him at one time. Perhaps it was a start. "You know," he started, "my mom was a healer too. She's the one who taught me most of what I know." He smiled and offered Silas a weak shrug.

"I mean, I could teach you if you want," He continued, eager to pass his torch along. Even if it was just knowledge, Reek thought it was worth something, but even his own sons seemed disinterested in his own interests. "Could be fun for the both of us."
bowsprit
231 Posts
Ooc —
His ears were eventually perked towards the alpha male and all the while, his nerves were strung tight, although nothing that had happened here gave him worthwhile reason to feel that way. He still couldn't shake all of his nervousness, even as Reek offered him a smile and an easy, conversational tone to go along with it. "I didn't learn as much from her as I could've, I think." Just a couple useful plants, and a few other tricks when it came to tending to various issues. All of it had come from just seeing her do her thing, though, and no more than that.

But he couldn't quite say if he'd be able to  find that.. 'fun'. That felt like a lot to consider, although the offer surprised him somewhat (largely thanks to him having been such a frosty shithead about everything everywhere since meeting Reek's family). "I've thought about.. trying to learn some of the basics before. I don't know if I'd want to do that, uh, professionally or anything but.. " he shifted his weight when he felt himself getting nervous about it all again. Hunting, tracking, and the like would always be priority for him, and because of that, his main interest. "Can't hurt to know things like that, though.." was always his reasoning.