Hushed Willows There's a little gray area in there and that's where you operate.
A cheap trick and a cheesy one-liner
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Private 

Okay, not that Stark had ever thought he'd step foot in these parts again but he'd been horribly wrong about his life before. Often, actually. He'd spent a great deal of time away from the Teekon and coming back nearly a year later meant he was different. Grizzled, changed in his own ways, but still quite the same. The roguish charm had never faded from him nor had his only steadfast companion. He turned to regard @Banner with a small smile, eyes drifting over his sister as they cut through the familiar pathways until they found what once had been their own empire. Now it seemed silly that quarrels had put them at odds over Duskvale but that had faded into nothingness as soon as it had seemed to blossom. 

"I'm not surprised." He admitted quietly, standing just at the point where once their scents had mingled and carved out their own little paradise - the willows were mostly barren and it was obvious that no one had taken up residence in the Keep since their time there. Without the leading force, everything had just....ceased to be. Stark was almost smug about it but still the stinging truth was there. He had abandoned the pack. He'd made that choice. And he lived with it. Every time he thought of the pack he thought mostly of Tambourine but he didn't think the boy would have faired any worse for the wear. Silas no doubt would have kept an eye on him. 

Still he had no plans to return like Warbone had; so quick to demand something that he had willingly abandoned to the wilds. Marauder's Keep was no more and Stark didn't exactly mourn it. It was better this way. Octavia's grave no doubt was left alone and her memory still haunted him but not to the same degree. Things were...different now. 

He liked to think he was different, too. 
i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
[Image: gamekeeper.gif] 3/5
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
The days continued to grow shorter just as they had this time last year.  And Banner stood side by side with her brother at the outskirts of Hushed Willows just as she had this time last year.  But this year, unlike last, a familiar mix of their scents did not indicate that Marauder's Keep inhabited this place.  It was void of any classic signs that wolves roamed in claimed lands, which came as no grand revelation to Banner.  She recalled quite vividly that their pack had a difficult time keeping numbers up before Stark assumed the role of Alpha.  Without strong leadership and a defined sense of family, this place just didn't seem as.. inhabitable?

I do hope you're not thinking of moving back here, she mused softly, her bright green eyes rolling up to gague his reaction.  Banner knew he had no intention of returning for any considerable length of time, but standing here and coming face to face with memories.. well, she needed to hear it from him.  Definitively.  It always was lovely at dusk, she added with a shrug, allowing a soft sigh to escape as she surveyed the willows once more.  In the fading daylight the trees took on a soft orange-y glow that made her feel warmer than she actually was.  Once upon a time this place was home.

But that felt like a lifetime ago.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
to mend all the broken hearts
of all my wrecked-up friends
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador

Stark regarded Banner for a moment in the quiet of twilight, testing what she'd said like it might or might be the only answer he'd ever need. Often enough, she was. "You think I'm ready for round two?"  Stark asked with a snort, shaking his head no. "Too many ghosts here." He'd probably never step foot in the place again, at least, not without a good reason. Even now he couldn't scent out any of the pack mates he'd once known and he doubted any of them had stayed around. It was better that way, he figured, blue eyes blinking back to the willows as his sister mentioned how pretty they were. 

While they hadn't founded the pack and picked the territory it was still a beautiful place. She didn't have to point that out, Stark had always seen its beauty. He nodded, reaching out to nip at her plush shoulder. "Is there anyone you wanna visit?" The only friends he'd made were probably gone - but maybe they'd go towards the Stone Circle. Stark was pretty sure Valette had ended up in that area. Even if they kept going, or just hunkered down for winter, it might be nice to see a familiar friendly face. 

i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
She knew he'd been joking around, but using that particular phrase made her visibly wince.  Ghost was the name her mate had been given before they met all those months ago and it hurt even now to hear any reference of him.  Banner knew her brother hadn't meant anything by it - he wasn't that cruel, didn't have it in him - and so she attempted to cover up her discomfort with a cough while turning her head to the opposite side.  Not exactly smooth, but hopefully he wouldn't take it too hard if he'd noticed the reaction.

Moving right along, she shook her head and tapped one chocolate brown paw on the ground.  I don't know.  I'm not sure how many of my old contacts are still around.  You were always the social butterfly, she commented with a smirk before returning his playful nip in kind.  I spent most of my time around pack before.. Banner trailed off at that, unsure of how to end her sentence.  Before what, they left?  Frowning, she continued: I wonder if Valette is around.  Think she's still Southeast of here?  Her dark-furred friend had always been an eager go-getter and the most likely of anyone she'd known to carve out a lasting life for herself.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador

Stark didn't need to be told when it struck his sister the wrong way - he'd entirely forgotten about Buchanan's other name. He'd been thinking of his own demons and the nightmares of Octavia he'd had. Stark winced, reaching over to gently nuzzle beneath Banner's chin in a silent apology. They didn't need to talk about it. He got it. They'd lost a lot beside the willows. Even if he hadn't left it all behind he didn't think he'd ever want to live amongst them. It hurt too badly. 

Ironically, but perhaps not too surprisingly, Banner picked up on his vibes. Stark wagged his tail, nodding eagerly as he considered visiting Valette. "We should go see her."  Stark agreed with a smile. "I can't remember what she said her packs name was - but we can find her, I'm sure."  Stark hadn't thought too much about a long term plan, he'd been just as happy to wander with Banner and figure things out as they went. 
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
... just lost an entire post.  WOW I REALLY MISSED THESE SUPER FUN MOMENTS IN RP LIFE :|

Not wanting her brother's token of affection to go unacknowledged, Banner managed a hum (which was really a half "hm", half groan) and pushed the moment out of her mind entirely.  Their goal was to move forward, not dwell in the past.  Which, come to think of it, meant that a visit to Hushed Willows on this lovely evening was rather ill-advised.

Ah, well.  Onward!

Taking a moment to look thoughtful, the short she-wolf first shrugged a response.  I can't either.  Should she feel guilty about that?  Banner frowned.  Names were never her forte.  It was definintely in the valley, she added.  Which narrowed their search down to what felt like a zillion territories.  Oh!  She clucked her tongue and her face lit up as another tidbit of information came back to her.  I remember running into her last year while she was checking out the old Rosings place.  Black.. something forest.  Maybe they settled around there?  
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador

BEST FEELS EVER RIGHT?

Stark didn't need Banner to go over the top and accept his apology for what it was. They'd made their own peace and all, everything was fine, and he was okay with the state of things. They'd be alright. They were always alright. He'd never suggest that things were always good between them - but it was a far cry from how things with him and Cap ever were. He was grateful for the excuse to just press right on and ignore the unpleasant memories in favor of other things - most which involved finding friends that might still be around. 

Was it horrible if Stark couldn't exactly remember who his friends were? 

He'd been friendly with several wolves but as far as lasting friendships went - well, there he felt he faltered. He wouldn't call Grace a friend anymore, not after she'd walked out on them with Trick of all creatures. And Trick was just....not worth it. He'd never been worth it. He'd had a couple others die, and who knew what had happened to Mordecai and Harlyn - but he had Banner, and they were going to find Valette, and that had to be good right? "Stone circle," He said quickly, thinking back to the last time he'd seen Valette. He'd come to her borders and while he didn't exactly remember too much about it's name he knew the general area. As long as they hadn't moved....well, it wouldn't take too long to head down there. 

"Big question is do we wanna just head straight there or hunker down for the night? I could catch something for us if you wanted to find somewhere to sleep." Because Stark expected that neither of them were in any rush to spend the evening in the shadow of everything they'd had and lost. 

no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
our thread is so popular.  I SEE YOU ALL READING <3

Stone Circle?  Banner pulled a half-confused, half-thoughtful face as she turned that name over in her head.  She supposed it sounded familiar enough, but it didn't really ring any loud, obvious bells to her.   More like a few distant jingles or a sad little windchime in a slight breeze.  .. yes? she answered slowly even though he hadn't given the name as a question.  She ended up shrugging, figuring that of the two of them he'd be the most likely to have decent recall.

Can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect of staying here, she admitted quietly.  Heaving a sigh, she continued: But I guess we can find somewhere decent.  Banner turned and tore her green-eyed gaze from their former home.  But where to find shelter..?  She faced to the East and eyed the beginnings of Felltree Marsh critically.  Think we can find something that isn't waterlogged over there?  A marsh didn't exactly scream prime real estate when Winter was so close - still, they could make due for the night.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador

what can I say? These bums are the best.  

Stark couldn't remember the details too much - other than visiting her, briefly seeing the sights, and coming home. "They had moved... I don't remember from where, but that's the last place I remember them being hunkered down."  Stark wasn't excited by the prospect of hearing that they'd moved on or worse yet finding evidence of them being gone and no clues where to - but he did like the idea of visiting Valette and getting caught up with her. Stark shared Banner's sentiments, his eyes cutting to the familiar territory - he didn't want to curl up beneath the willows. 

"Maybe if we find some hollowed tree or something,"  He began dryly. "I'm just glad you're so plush," Stark teased, since he'd gotten the height and she'd gotten the extra fur - it was probably the reason she was so weighed down. Stark worked the corner of his lip between his teeth for a moment, considering the options. "What about cutting through and towards the plains? It'll probably be drier."  That might be better for both of them - it would put them in the right direction anyways for their journey in the morning. 

no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
A non-committal sound was the only response she gave on the location of Valette's pack - whatever his reasoning, it sounded.  Her mind would have wandered had he not made a sarcastic remark about how incredibly poofy she was.  Banner's chocolate brown face twisted into a playful scowl as fixed her brother with a glare.  I make an excellent pillow and you know it!

His remark about the plains was spot on, though.  She took a few steps in the general direction of the previously-mentioned territory and tilted her head, eyes narrowing a bit in the dying daylight.  That works.  We should be sure to stop there for the night, though.  If we continue on through Herbalists' Cache we'll be on top of another damn marsh and right back to square one.  Not one to get her paws wet unless it was absolutely necessary, Banner felt a little better about this plan.  You hunt, I'll pass out somewhere comfy, she reasoned.  Mostly to herself, naturally. Laughing while looking back at Stark, she said, I like this plan.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador

If Stark might have been able to, he would have blanched at the idea of cutting through the cache to get to stone circle. Logically it made sense, but, he had no desire to go through the muck and mire again. The last time he'd been there he'd literally watched the life drain from Octavia and felt the last breaths of the woman he'd loved. He was still bitter about it. "We could take the pass down from the plains, skirt the mountains." He suggested after a too-long pause, and hoped desperately that his tone hadn't betrayed the truth of the matter. "We can still find cover and be just fine, I think." He followed up to try and smooth out his own reaction to things - and it only made it more evident that both siblings still had a slew of issues and even knowing one another as well as they did sometimes it just happened. Feathers got ruffled. 

Stark nodded to himself and then nudged Banner gently, taking up a slow pace towards the plains. "Hopefully the year has gone well for them." Stark hummed out. "I think she had a guy she fancied, maybe they finally settled down. Or maybe she did overthrow him." That was (mostly) a joke - one he'd mentioned to Valette playfully the last time they'd seen one another. It seemed easier then, and he'd been happy to ignore the trauma of his own life in favor of just pushing on for the sake of the Keep. Without needing to support the pack, and instead only himself and Banner, things were better. "You feeling for anything in particular? I bet there's plenty of turkeys about." And he'd only squabble with her over the wishbone a little bit. He was a gentleman after all.

no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Banner could have hit herself for not realizing that territory brought awful memories back for her brother.  The very least she could do was not make a big deal after his lengthy pause - he'd done the same for her, after all.  Instead, her eyes softened a bit and she reached over to nudge his shoulder but said nothing on the matter.  Mhm, she agreed quietly.  In the grand scheme of things it didn't really matter what path they took to get there.  The dark-coated siblings could find shelter as needed and get an early start in the morning.  A few hours in in the course of a lifetime wouldn't make or break them.

Gesturing with a jerk of her head that they should get a move on, Banner chuckled.  I didn't know you were close enough to get details on her love life, she teased gently.  Hopefully they're all well.  If I recall correctly, Valette's optimism and drive were really something.  A smirk.  And turkey sounds lovely.

Now that the details had been more or less ironed out, Banner was eager to get on with it.  She sent a playful yip toward her taller brother and set off at a brisk trot.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass