Felltree Marsh Across the Sea of the Dead
2 Posts
Ooc — Rook
All Welcome 
He's coming to Teekon from the north and through Dawnlark Plains :) late evening
The sky was painted a sweeping purple in the post-dusk light, only the very tops of the distant mountains were lit by a burning orange like candles lit to honor a mysterious god of earth and sky. The sounds of birds filled the sky, sounds of forest rush-hour after a difficult day of survival and the subsequent journey back home to their nests and, in the ever deepening gloom, through the grasses of the plain below wandered a white shape. Tikaan had come a very long way from the north, wandering through a lot of different areas that were all similar in their own way, a lot of coniferous forests, plains and coastlines but it seems he'd finally come to where there was greater landscape variation. Of course it wasn't drastically dissimilar, there were the easily recognizable mountains and pine trees but the weather seemed slightly warmer than Tikaan was used to at this time of year and, lifting his muzzle to the air, there were a lot more smells that were unfamiliar to him. The most prominent of these smells was an odd stink on the air and yet it carried with it the subtle notes of water as well, it reminded him somewhat of a rotting log after a hard rain.
The brightest stars had just started to appear in the sky overhead when Tikaan came upon the source of the smell, a marsh that extended as far as he could see in the darkening light. Toppled trees stuck grimly above the water's surface, bare stumps dotted the drier areas and yellow weeds grew tenaciously where the roots could find purchase. Tikaan stepped gingerly into the water and quickly sank up to his elbow but no further and Tikaan pulled his blackened, drenched foreleg back onto dry ground.
"As long as I stay near the dry areas crossing this shouldn't be problem, but it'll be a problem that will have to wait until morning." Tikaan backtracked slightly and began looking for someplace dry and sheltered where he could spend the night.
170 Posts
Ooc —
As much as she felt she searched the mountain range, she still comes up empty. She doesn’t know where else to look or where he might be. Even her family is long gone. She releases a heavy sigh and moves back through the taiga, realizing how far north she’d gotten. At this point, she doesn’t know where to go. It’s getting late in the ate and the days are colder than the last and she doesn’t want to try and survive the winter without someone to help. Leaving her last home at this time had maybe been a bad idea but she felt so sure she could at least find a trace of those she once knew but they’ve all moved on too. 

Ocra sighs, shifting through one territory into the next until the ground gets soft. The wind bites at her skin, penetrating her fur even with a winter coat. Her tail sways back and forth lazily and she retreats back a little, recalling the first marsh she’d gone through. Wet and sticky and gross and… ugh. The last thing she wants is to go through it again but just as the rest of night begins to settle in, she sees a silver of pale up ahead. She can’t note the scent and the fur isn’t as clear as it could be—marshes are gross, after all—but she chuffs loudly, hoping to carry the distance because crossing over wet and sloppy ground in the first breath of winter is definitely not something she will do.

2 Posts
Ooc — Rook
Tikaan moved back and forth at the edge of the marsh, it shouldn't have been this difficult to find someplace to spend the night it wasn't as if he were trying to find a long term den or anything. Unfortunately the ground was still soggy for quite a distance, but Tikaan finally found a dry area that looked promising, a tree had toppled over but was still connected at the trunk and made a natural lean-to with thick marsh weeds and cattails on either side. It wasn't the cleaniest place to sleep, he had to crawl on his stomach to get between the trunk and a small mound of squishy marsh earth but he was certainly glad that he found it and wasn't about to complain with the night getting on.

Just as Tikaan was getting ready to turn in for what was left of the night the wind carried a soft sound to Tikaan's ears. The wolf's ears swiveled as he turned his head toward the source of the noise, it had been soft but on a night like this all sounds carried pretty far. Across a stretch of brackish marsh water stood another wolf, details were hard to make out at this distance and in this light but it was a light to dark coat and possibly female? Tikaan barked once to acknowledge the wolf as he moved closer to better talk with the strange wolf, this was the first time he'd been to the area it was a very good idea to make friends. "Hello! My name's Tikaan, I'm new to the area, I'm not getting close to pack lands am I?", he hadn't smelled any boundaries but he knew that packs sometimes sent out scouts to roam the area and bring back information and wanted to make sure he wasn't getting too close to a pack.
170 Posts
Ooc —
There’s a delay from the other after her call. She’s too far away. Her nose wrinkles at the thought and she looks to her left, then right, but decides she can’t get any closer. And she’s definitely not getting into the marsh. One time had been enough. Too much, even. Thankfully, he makes the effort to get closer and she watches his movements all the way up until he’s close enough to talk. Ocra licks her lips and stiffens, only wary of the fact she doesn’t know him and she doesn’t have much to offer so close to winter. 

”Not that I know of,” she says though she hadn’t spent a lot of time here. The mountains hadn’t offered much either and she hasn’t gone any further north toward the ocean. ”I’m Ocra, I spent a little time south of here but it’s been a while,” she offers, equally useless as he. She’d only spent a few months several miles of here, never bothering to explore the northern reaches, but last winter is so long ago it’s too much to think about.