Phoenix Maplewood Sometimes it's the sweet, simple things...
3 Posts
Ooc — Christina
All Welcome 
Inasyah was unsure of how long he'd been walking, but everything was beginning to look so familiar, that he almost wondered if he somehow walked in a circle right back to his home territory. That's ridiculous, of course not. He berated himself mentally and paused to take a moment to survey his surroundings. He was in a thick forest. Numerous small plants grew at his feet, and the air was sharp and cold, but not unpleasantly so. It's smelled vaguely sweet, like berries and... something else. The area looked just like the wood Inasyah used to play in with his siblings as a pup, but he didn't recognize any of the other wolves he smelled, and there was still that unidentifiable sugary smell. For whatever reason, these peculiarities that marred his comparisons pertubed him deeply, and he began to investigate both for the sweet smell, and to see what other wolves were around. It wasn't as though he had anything better to do, anyways. Inasyah continued his trot through the undergrowth, hoping he wouldn't somehow stumble into another pack's territory.  He didn't really want to deal with anybody today, unless they were interested in feeding him.

After running for a little while, he found the scent led him straight to a tree, and he once again began to seriously question his sanity. Why would a tree smell like this? It doesn't bear fruit or anything. This land was becoming less and less familiar to him, and he was not sure if that made him feel relieved or even more anxious. Inasyah whined and circled the tree a few times, before noticing something glistening on the bark. He prodded the area with his nose and was overwhelmed to the sugary scent as it stuck against his muzzle. What's this? Does it taste as it smells? Only one way to find out...He licked his chops and was rewarded with a pleasant taste that caused his tail to unknowingly wag. It does! Is this what they call Maple Sap? Inasyah had heard about the tree's delicious secretions, but his old pack's territory didn't have any of the trees in it, as they were high in demand and regularly fought for. It certainly wasn't as sustaining as a rabbit or quail, but just about anything was welcome to his empty belly right now. He continued to lick at the tree eagerly, hoping nobody would come along and witness the sight he was making.
sheepy babe
63 Posts
Ooc —
My post will not be as pretty as yours XD but here is Skrae. Please forgive me.
Herbs, herbs, herbs - Skrae was cruisin' through the Maplewood, looking for anything that might be useful to Pema. They'd had a quick lesson on what was good and what was useless, so the wooly girl knew - ostensibly - what she ought to be looking for. Unfortunately, she was focusing so hard on being focused that she passed up several viable flora in favor of sweeping her eyes this way and that, never settling too long in any one place.

Focusing was difficult. Herbs were difficult. Healing was difficult.

The maplewood was nice, though. Wow, look at that bird! Skraeling wondered if she should try to catch it. Would Pema like it? No, it wasn't a plant, that wasn't what Pema wanted her to bring back. But oh - what about that wolf?

Wait, a wolf? "Hello!" Skraeling said hurriedly, changing her direction to trot guilelessly toward the stranger. "How come you're licking that tree?" A light went off in her dim little brain. "Wait - is it a healing tree?" She was looking for healing stuff, wasn't she?
b-boying?
wow-ee harry potter!
3 Posts
Ooc — Christina
ahhh i'm so glad someone replied! 

Inasyah was so focused on the delicious maple sap, that he was startled by the sound of someone's voice and whipped around snarling. "What?? Who are..." the words died in his throat as he stared at the "intruder" in confusion. A sheep? No, I don't even think sheep talk. After another split second of contemplation, he realized he was actually staring at a very wooly she-wolf.  If it weren't for the fact that some of her coat was begining to shed, he wouldn't have recognized her lupine figure at all. He simoltaneously felt dumb and the urge to laugh. Hah, she looks like the sheep back home! How cute? He decided to be polite to this stranger, since he wasn't sure if he was the real intruder here, or even better...if she knew where he could find some real food.

"Um...I don't think this tree is very medicinal, it's just maple sap," he said with a reserved, but definately amused smile. "I don't know much, but perhaps I could help you find something that is useful?"
sheepy babe
63 Posts
Ooc —
Ignoring the snarl, Skraeling continued to draw nearer until she stood just two or three steps away, tail wagging in idle curiosity as the male spoke. A maple sap tree! Pema hadn't said anything about those, and Skraeling didn't know how to transport a tree, anyway. Wait, was she looking for trees?

"Oh, I don't - I'm not hurt or anything," she explained, except, if she wasn't hurt, why was she looking for - "I'm on a mission! To find heal-y things. Miss Pema taught me about all the stuff that was useless." Her head tilted comically to the side. Maple sap trees hadn't been on that list. Hmmmm...

"How come you're licking it?" she asked again.
b-boying?
wow-ee harry potter!
3 Posts
Ooc — Christina
Inasyah tilted his head to the side when the girl explained the reason for her search. "Well, it's good that you're not hurt, at least," he replied neutrally. Not because he cared about the stranger, but because he knew injured people could be scary, and he didn't really want to deal with that. Realizing he could no longer dodge her second question, Inasyah admitted reluctantly, "I'm licking it because i'm hungry. It's rather sweet." His father had warned him when he was a pup that if he ever ended up alone, it was important to never admit being in a tough situation, even if it was clear as day. But this young wolf seemed like she was learning to be a healer, so she probably didn't have any bad intentions, or could even do anything to him, anyways. 

"So what exactly is your name? Do you live here?" Inasyah tried that smile again and sat patiently, feeling like this would take a little while.  It wasn't as though he had anything better to do; he just hoped his patience would remain unphased. "Oh! You can try licking the tree too, if you want." Inasyah genuinely didn't know if the tree did do anything useful besides being messy and attracting vermin like him, but hey.