Ravenshook Cliffs isengard
192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Private 
stormrift was somehow quiet even with new pups. but because velen had no attachment to them, the idea bored him, and so he took to the surrounding territories to hunt, to fish, to be alone. today, however, he had asked @Rannveig along, wanting to get his brother's thoughts upon dalia.
the pair paced easily along the tall cliffs near stormrift, velen lowering his muzzle to nose through the soft grasses for any ground-nests from which eggs could be poached. small, savory — there was very little more enjoyable than an egg or fourteen.
[Image: tumblr_nbvmjgI5Eb1txly86o1_500.gif]
THE REGULATOR'S SWINGING PENDULUM
129 Posts
Ooc — lauren
<3 thank u for starting

eggs, especially of the angry seabird variety, were some of rannveig's favorite meals. he prounced from nook to cranny, rousing up just about every creature habitating the crag as he went.

he largely ignored the furious cries of the birds above, though on more than one occasion he was rudely divebombed by a hard beak. dodging one assailant just in time, rannveig looked up to see velen's countenance seemed troubled. "hey! whats with the long face?! not like you're getting your eggs poached, are you?" he gasped dramatically, a wide grin spilling across his features. "don't tell me - you're brooding aren't you?" the stargazer cackled, delighted in his own woefully pitiful joke.

help me inhale,
and mend it with you.

192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
[oof sorry for the wait bb

even though rannveig thought he should keep his day job, velen had always been charmed by his brother's seemingly effortless humour. it did little, however, to cut through the miasma of pensiveness that clung to the ceto now. "maybe i am," he shot back, lolling his tongue rudely before lowering his muzzle to lick at the yolk from the newest egg he had stolen.
"mm, i think i'm in love with dalia," velen muttered, resurfacing to look somberly toward his brother. "no idea how she feels. or how ford will feel."
129 Posts
Ooc — lauren
rannveig continued to snigger as his brother dipped his muzzle into the fractured shell, resurfacing just to drop a bomb that totally killed his joke.

the l word.

rannveig's giggle cut-mid iggle, his jaw clapping shut with a snap. mcexcuse, what, come again? love?

like his legs had come out from under him, rannveig was forced to sit. and he did so, primly -- stiffly even, as if the movement had been rehearsed a thousand times and therefore, had lost its fluidity.

his gaze raked across his brother, just to make sure there wasn't part of his brain spilling from his ears, or he hadn't sustained massive internal trauma.

"love?" rannveig scoffed, pulling his head back and pinning his ears.

"gay."

help me inhale,
and mend it with you.

192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
"wow, thanks for the advice," cut back velen a second later, though he was amused at rannveig's reaction in all truth. "but, uh, yeah. warm, fuzzy, all that shit." he pressed on, lunging toward another seabird to frighten it from the nest, and reached in to crack the eggs between his teeth. "also —" and here the ceto paused.
he was unsure of how rannveig would react to knowing ford had offered him the ruins of donnelaith to rule, him and not their brother. while rannveig had never evinced any sort of desire for leadership, velen was afraid the knowledge would place a wedge between the two. it was something he could not have, and so he went on with a simple enough amendment. "if i took over the sentinels, would you come with me?"
129 Posts
Ooc — lauren
a second totally unnecessary denouncement of velen's sexuality was about to press from rannveig's tongue, halted only by the shift in topic to something way less hilarious.

velen was leaving. the grin fell from rannveig's face. suddenly his world, so small and cozy and close, was at peril. he had always thought they were the three musketeers, the inseperable trio.. being forced to pick between them, or worse, being forced to say goodbye for one possibly forever, made rannveig's spirit flag. "i don't know." rannveig conceded, looking away with growing frustration. "i just thought we'd always be together, the three of us."

help me inhale,
and mend it with you.

192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
rannveig at once seemed dejected, irritated; velen regretted mentioning such things to his brother. but perhaps it needed to be said. "i want to lead at the sentinels, where mom was born," the ceto explained. "not far from ford, and with his blessing. i would never abandon him, or you."
unsure if that would placate rannveig, a sigh passed from the ruddy throat. "do you know smokestep fucked this place up when he led?" velen revealed, thinking of what the woman from rusalka had said.
129 Posts
Ooc — lauren
rannveig didn't love the direction this conversation had taken - from love to something a bit more serious.. departure. he tried to rally his spirit, but the idea of no longer seeing his brother around speared him. who else got his insufferable sense of humor?

even if it was a lifelong dream of velen's to lead the sentinels, rannveig was selfish. he didn't want his world to change, and that's what it was doing - changing. he bit his lip, unwilling to disappoint his brother but also not wishing for any of this to come to fruition. "i mean. you do you." he supplied, and his wishes for his brother's happiness was genuine. it was just that he was conflicted, by you know, his own selfish wants for happiness too.

thankfully, velen changed the subject again; smokestep wasn't a wolf that rannveig had thought about in some time, and it was a welcome change of topic. "no? what did he do?"

help me inhale,
and mend it with you.

192 Posts
Ooc — ebony
happy for the change of subject, velen rolled his shoulders. "not too long ago, this woman from a pack up the coast, rusalka, stopped by. she seemed pretty upset," the boy mused. "turns out she was part of the crew smokestep had here, and he just up and disappeared. then a bear came." an incredulous laugh broke from him.
"so we should probably keep an eye out in winter. fuckin' bears, can you believe it?" a dancing expression was passed to his brother; velen wanted to lift rannveig's spirits, and bumped the other male's shoulder as he spoke.