BWP: EXTINCTION
September 04, 2019, 05:54 PM
Indra
Easthollow
Family
Hello friends!

You may remember over the summer, voting for our 2019 BWP event here. Our last selection, "Natural Disaster", was unanimous... so, without further ado I present to you....

[Image: bwp.png]

This BWP is Earthquake themed with a special twist on additional natural disasters, destruction, and a wide-scale famine / food shortage - basically, it kind of sounds like end of all wolf-kind, right? As with all of our BWPs, this event is voluntary and does not require mandatory participation. That being said, players are welcome to organize or have their own offshoots of the events that transpire here, so long as it falls within the spectrum of each Phase (detailed below).

This BWP will feature five phases, each spread out over the course of a few weeks, with the exception of the first phase, which will last one week. This will allow for players of all activity levels to participate. Our first phase will launch starting next week (9/9/19), with each phase consecutively ramping up in severity. New Phases will be announced via @The Narrator account. Players are welcome to create their own random events with The Narrator account as well.

Small seismic events of minimum magnitude that will last exactly one week. Your character will notice small, infrequent quakes that start in the morning, and sound like distant rumbles  – these will last only a few seconds in duration, and may be perplexing but cause no long term damage.

Region-wide seismic events of large magnitude. These short events become large scale; quakes are now several seconds to half a minute long, rolling, and frequent; grinding, cacophonic, loud rumbles that are alarming and cause panic.  These underground shifts have caused massive ground ruptures and may impact access to territories and/or water sources. Prey and large game thin out board-wide.

Continued large scale events: tsunamis, flooding, landsides.. Packs may have pack activities/random event threads denoting major change in territory!
Prey / large game are now scarce and only able to be hunted in TN threads (posted at random - thread locations MUST be rolled).
  • Coastland Territories: tsunamis, large waves, submarine landslides that flood coastal territories up to two territories from shore-line.
  • Water-bound Territories: faults in ground lines cause ponds to flood and/or drain, major river territories become flooded, silt and clay impact local hunting grounds and bog them down with soil liquefaction; impacts territories touched by water sources. All coastal areas are suggested to become temporarily uninhabitable. Neutral territories abutting coastal areas now all have silt/sediment damage and soil liquefaction. Major flood hazard with rushing water, drowning risk to nearby territories.
  • “Dry” Territories: faults in ground lines cause landslides, mudslides, soil erosion; monuments may topple and cracks appear in the ground – none to exceed 20 feet in depth * - may cause woodland collapse and trees to fall.
  • Mountain Territories: major rock falling hazards, landslides, mudslides, water sediment pollution risk and/or loss of water due to immense collapse of flood plains, volcanic risk in volcanic areas.

Territories should now have full impact of earthquakes, with some continued seismic activity on a small scale. Landslides cause food shortage, sickness, and lack of egress. Dry areas have water decrease and increase in wolf population leading to major conflicts and possibility of disease transmission. Collapse zone: one random territory (rolled) will feature major collapse and sickly NPCs / no prey at all - bordering territories impacted.

Aftermath is wide-scale destruction of habitable areas, with flood areas becoming stagnant stretches of water. Starvation, sickness/fever/disease. Very limited prey opportunities. No further seismic events, but characters in collapse/major floodzones still struggle with upheaval and destruction.

Want to participate as a contributor to The Narrator's random events/posts? Player participation is thoroughly encouraged! Simply request access to TN's account, and post a random event of your choosing. This event is supposed encourage site-wide participation, and one of the ways I thought that would help is by players having their own directive/contribution to the BWP! Keep in mind that your territory must be rolled for (unless you are a PM posting in your own pack territory), and all post content must match magnitude/severity of the current phase.

In addition remember there is no forward dating to circumvent the phases allowed in this BWP.

Questions, concerns, comments? Please post here! <3

now the wren has gone to roost and the sky is turning gold,
and like the sky, my soul is also turning.
September 04, 2019, 06:29 PM
Maegi
Blackfeather Woods
Nona
Quote:. . .and one of the ways I thought that would help is by players having their own directive/contribution to the BWP! Keep in mind that your territory must be rolled for (unless you are a PM posting in your own pack territory), and all post content must match magnitude/severity of the current phase.

Who is rolling for territories to be affected, and what is the roll criteria?
September 04, 2019, 06:35 PM
Indra
Easthollow
Family
(September 04, 2019, 06:29 PM)Maegi Wrote:
Quote:. . .and one of the ways I thought that would help is by players having their own directive/contribution to the BWP! Keep in mind that your territory must be rolled for (unless you are a PM posting in your own pack territory), and all post content must match magnitude/severity of the current phase.

Who is rolling for territories to be affected, and what is the roll criteria?

You (or whoever is operating/posting the TN account) roll! I trust you guys! You can select which region you want to post in (IE, Sequoia Coast), but must roll for which territory. So if Sequoia Coast had 16 territories, you'd roll 1d16 on Tabletop. Whatever number you get, corresponds to the number from the (alphabetical) drop-down when you do a new thread in that region (IE, Ankyra Sound would be first for Sequoia Coast).

This is more so to prevent any overflooding (no pun intended) of negative events in any one specific territory.

I've already rolled for the "Announcement" TN posts that get the BWP rolling. Stay tuned for those!

September 04, 2019, 06:42 PM
Maegi
Blackfeather Woods
Nona
Gotcha gotcha. Thanks so much.

One other thing -- will major changes to territories be noted in their descriptions? I thought the precedent was not to change them (the descriptions) UNLESS in the event of a BWP.

Sincerely, the girl who burned down Dawnlark Plains only for it to mysteriously be unblemished within narrative days later
September 04, 2019, 07:08 PM
Towhee
Asterism Grove
Kilonova
Picture this: the entire Sequoia Coast region gets taken out by a tsunami and we open the mysterious lowlands to the southeast.

(This is me musing as a player, not a CM, lol...)

-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.
Members of AG are welcome to power-play Towhee (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not she's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!

September 04, 2019, 07:24 PM
Cryptid

I wanna help with TN posts!!
September 05, 2019, 09:01 AM
Praimfaya
Pledged
Roangeda
(September 04, 2019, 07:08 PM)Towhee Wrote: Picture this: the entire Sequoia Coast region gets taken out by a tsunami and we open the mysterious lowlands to the southeast.

This would be awesome, ngl. It’d give us a chance to make + play in new territories.

trigedasleng · linkon's 'speech' · common
hover over trigedasleng for translation · read about linkon in pri's personality section i

roangeda · green-lit · adoptables

━─┄ you were born
to rend galaxies from the sky

September 05, 2019, 09:14 AM
Indra
Easthollow
Family
(September 04, 2019, 06:42 PM)Maegi Wrote: One other thing -- will major changes to territories be noted in their descriptions? I thought the precedent was not to change them (the descriptions) UNLESS in the event of a BWP?

Since it is a BWP, there may be updates to descriptions pending CM approval. The main objective is not to make any territory permanently ineligible for potential pack forming! So while I want everyone to have free license to write what they want if they volunteer as a TN contributor, remember that if it impacts the entire member base, to check with the CMs first. IE no deciding that Ankyra Sound just crumbled into the sea and doesn’t exist anymore. ;)

At the end of the BWP we will go through the territories hit and see if any updates need to be made.

September 05, 2019, 09:23 AM
Maegi
Blackfeather Woods
Nona
(September 05, 2019, 09:14 AM)Indra Wrote:
(September 04, 2019, 06:42 PM)Maegi Wrote: One other thing -- will major changes to territories be noted in their descriptions? I thought the precedent was not to change them (the descriptions) UNLESS in the event of a BWP?

Since it is a BWP, there may be updates to descriptions pending CM approval. The main objective is not to make any territory permanently ineligible for potential pack forming! So while I want everyone to have free license to write what they want if they volunteer as a TN contributor, remember that if it impacts the entire member base, to check with the CMs first. IE no deciding that Ankyra Sound just crumbled into the sea and doesn’t exist anymore. ;)

At the end of the BWP we will go through the territories hit and see if any updates need to be made.

Good deal. Thank you for being so responsive!
September 05, 2019, 12:15 PM
Outie

(September 05, 2019, 09:01 AM)Praimfaya Wrote:
(September 04, 2019, 07:08 PM)Towhee Wrote: Picture this: the entire Sequoia Coast region gets taken out by a tsunami and we open the mysterious lowlands to the southeast.

This would be awesome, ngl. It’d give us a chance to make + play in new territories.

ugly sobbing @ bye bye coastline but also REALLY big eyes for the mysterious lowlands. would love to help with territories too!
September 07, 2019, 06:44 PM
Bronco
Firebirds
Youth VIII
Just a-wondering...

Generally, animals are pretty keen on picking up on disasters and such before they actually happen; would it be safe to start having a general feeling of unrest start creeping in between today and tomorrow? I realize those threads might not count toward BWP threads, but just to make some IC stuff interesting (and have characters say "I TOLD YOU I SENSED SOMETHING!!!" afterwards), and maybe even create some "DOOMSDAY IS COMING RUN AWAYYYYY" among more sensitive/excitable wolves that just start to get the paranoia rolling, it might be kinda neat, if it's OK, to maybe have characters start to feel....Odd, starting now? I realize that the first week is smaller stuff- but even before things like that occur, animals tend to sense it and get nervous. 

For example; Thresher has lived by the coast for most of her life. I suspect that marine life would likely act different in the advent of such a disaster as well- mass beachings for whales, seabirds flying the eff awaaaay, lack of crabs along the shores, etc. So she'd probably notice that, and it'd make her feel as though something's coming.
September 08, 2019, 11:48 AM
Indra
Easthollow
Family
(September 07, 2019, 06:44 PM)Bronco Wrote: Just a-wondering...

Generally, animals are pretty keen on picking up on disasters and such before they actually happen; would it be safe to start having a general feeling of unrest start creeping in between today and tomorrow? I realize those threads might not count toward BWP threads, but just to make some IC stuff interesting (and have characters say "I TOLD YOU I SENSED SOMETHING!!!" afterwards), and maybe even create some "DOOMSDAY IS COMING RUN AWAYYYYY" among more sensitive/excitable wolves that just start to get the paranoia rolling, it might be kinda neat, if it's OK, to maybe have characters start to feel....Odd, starting now? I realize that the first week is smaller stuff- but even before things like that occur, animals tend to sense it and get nervous. 

For example; Thresher has lived by the coast for most of her life. I suspect that marine life would likely act different in the advent of such a disaster as well- mass beachings for whales, seabirds flying the eff awaaaay, lack of crabs along the shores, etc. So she'd probably notice that, and it'd make her feel as though something's coming.

Since it's starting tomorrow.. I don't have a problem with it. Type away, ladies (and gents)!!

I think animals generally pick up on this stuff because, the actual physical manifestation of a storm is it's last symptom, so to speak. IE barometric shifts, distant crackling of thunder, etc, all precede the actual storm. So they hear the crackling before us, or feel the temperature drop/barometric shift -- it's not so much that they're psychic, but that they just have significantly better sense of hearing, smell, and are more in-tune with their environment since they live in it instead of little cubicles. :)

I imagine the same goes for scary earthquakes!

September 09, 2019, 07:21 AM
Indra
Easthollow
Family
We are live, folks! Check out the three new threads, and keep an eye out for more!

Anyone interested in participating as a contributor feel free to PM me!

As a reminder, please don’t forward date threads to circumvent the current phase. Thank you <3

September 09, 2019, 01:34 PM
Maegi
Blackfeather Woods
Nona
Not sure whether to post these in Skin Submissions or here...but as we get further along in the mass destruction and chaos, here's a few banners we can perhaps use.

https://imgur.com/pALKp4m
[Image: pALKp4m.png]

https://imgur.com/chlwNaU
[Image: chlwNaU.jpg]

https://imgur.com/VBuHT9H
[Image: VBuHT9H.jpg]
September 09, 2019, 02:22 PM
Indra
Easthollow
Family
(September 09, 2019, 01:34 PM)Maegi Wrote: Not sure whether to post these in Skin Submissions or here...but as we get further along in the mass destruction and chaos, here's a few banners we can perhaps use.

https://imgur.com/pALKp4m
[Image: pALKp4m.png]

https://imgur.com/chlwNaU
[Image: chlwNaU.jpg]

https://imgur.com/VBuHT9H
[Image: VBuHT9H.jpg]

These are AWESOME! I’ll add them to the fall skin roster. Thank you Miryam!

September 12, 2019, 09:54 AM
Towhee
Asterism Grove
Kilonova
This is a really rough idea but I was thinking of creating a Choose Your Own Adventure account for the duration of the BWP, selecting a few volunteers and then dropping into folks' BWP threads with prompts like this example:

Quote:Scene: Your character is hanging out on the coast.
Scenario #1: The earth rumbles ominously.
Scenario #2: The earth rumbles ominously and the ground begins to shake crazily, causing your character to fall over.
Scenario #3: The earth rumbles ominously and the ground begins to shake crazily, causing your character to fall over. Before he/she can find his/her footing, a tidal wave hits, crashing over his/her head.

Even though a prompt would always include an "out" so that it can be ignored in the event a player isn't interested, I was thinking we'd only post prompts if the account is tagged. That would take out the randomization but would ensure that everything is consensual.

Thoughts?

-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.
Members of AG are welcome to power-play Towhee (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not she's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!

September 12, 2019, 10:27 AM
Okeanos
Pledged
Neverwinter Forest
@Towhee i think that'd be really fun tbh! esp since i'm not a fan of death rolls, but i do like the idea of adding some kind of random chance/random elements :3
September 12, 2019, 10:35 AM
Indra
Easthollow
Family
Yes please, Kat!!! I love the idea.

September 12, 2019, 01:09 PM
Towhee
Asterism Grove
Kilonova
If we did do it, I'd need a few volunteers to write and post prompts. Would anyone be willing to do that?

@Ibis I can't help but tag you. Feel free to tell me to stuff it, of course, I just think you're brilliant at engineering whumps so I immediately thought of you. :)

September 12, 2019, 02:09 PM
Ibis
Lone Wolves

(September 12, 2019, 01:09 PM)Towhee Wrote: If we did do it, I'd need a few volunteers to write and post prompts. Would anyone be willing to do that?

@Ibis I can't help but tag you. Feel free to tell me to stuff it, of course, I just think you're brilliant at engineering whumps so I immediately thought of you. :)

Thats sort of how we did events on Origin! Design a series of events with some options. Very fun!
September 15, 2019, 02:38 PM
Indra
Easthollow
Family
Phase Two has officially started (9/16/19) -- I likely won't be able to post tomorrow, so I had to post them tonight. Hope that is okay! <3

https://wolf-rpg.com/showthread.php?tid=36655
https://wolf-rpg.com/showthread.php?tid=36654

Special thanks to Fira for helping write one of them!!

September 15, 2019, 03:18 PM
Basil
Lone Wolves

This is a really neat event but i have no idea what it exactly means. Does the event only occur in the specific threads and anyone that lives/travels in that area can post there? Or can anyone put in the effects in their new (or old) threads?

Thoughts  
Conversation
~The strength of the wolf is in the pack, the strength of the pack is in the wolf.~
September 15, 2019, 03:50 PM
Arcturus
Moonspear
Beta
(September 15, 2019, 03:18 PM)Basil Wrote: This is a really neat event but i have no idea what it exactly means. Does the event only occur in the specific threads and anyone that lives/travels in that area can post there? Or can anyone put in the effects in their new (or old) threads?

Hi! It's a "board wide plot" (BWP for short) so, it impacts the board as a whole but we still try to make it "opt in" so members who don't want to partake don't have to., so to answer your question, anyone can put the events in their threads too.

The 'main' events come from the Narrator Account, but players are welcome to add their own additions, in their own threads or posting as The Narrator. You can have Basil, for instance, have a thread where a big quake happens near, or rockslide, or whatever.