Silvertip Mountain the towers of the mind
53 Posts
Ooc — Riven
All welcome, but intended for Aguta!

She could feel a presence here, and it caused her fur to raise in waves along her spine. The towering peak seemed far less welcoming than the one she had chosen to call home, but the winding pathways and visible caverns intrigued her. Were there spirits trapped here, doomed to forever wander the worn and cracked stone? Muirrin wondered if they would speak to her if she made her way to the top of their fortress.

And so with a hardened resolve, the born-again female began to make her way up a path. There was no way of telling if it was the correct path, if it would lead her anywhere—but as she was reminding herself so often, it was a start. As she traveled, she could taste the scent of other wolves... but they seemed stale, as if a pack had moved through the area. Though it gave her pause for a moment, Muirrin continued on; they seemed old enough to no longer be a danger.
<small><i>avatar by lieu</i></small>
49 Posts
Ooc — Charmy
tada!

bone of the father, unknowingly given
you will renew your son
flesh of the servant, willingly sacrificed
you will revive your master
blood of the enemy, forcibly taken
[size=3]you will resurrect your foe[/size]

After having been gone from the mountain for a few days, Aguta had eventually made her way back but only because there was still at least some touch of loyalty remaining within her. But since her return, she had not seen hide nor hair of the cousin she had been ordered to remain with. She hadn’t bothered with tending to the scent markers that she had so diligently placed along the base of the mountain because, honestly, it didn’t seem to matter all that much to her anymore. With her cousin seemingly missing, the large woman saw no reason to be bothered with much of anything at this point. Hell, she wasn’t even sure if she was going to bother remaining on this mountain to wait for her cousin’s return. She wasn’t the same pathetic creature that she had been when she graced the doorstep of her aunt so long ago.

Disappointment coursed through her body as she sought solitude in the shadows of the mountain. Unmoving, she watched from afar of the creature that came toward the mountain, taking notice that the wolf paused for but a brief moment at the dying scented borders. For a time, Aguta kept herself in the shadows. Her coloring hiding her perfectly, especially her natural (or unnatural?) stripes that littered her fur here and there. After several minutes passed, allowing the stranger to continue making her way up the side of the mountain, Aguta emerged from her hiding place. Without a word, the large female fell into step beside, but not too near, the stranger. Her tail was only slightly raised, but not in an aggressive manner. Now, had her cousin not gone missing in action, this could very well have been different entirely.

53 Posts
Ooc — Riven
As the wind caressed the mountainside, Muirrin thought she could hear whispers and howls emerge from the depths of crevices and caves that pockmarked this particular mountain... but like the scents at the base of the mountain, they seemed old and stale. Ghosts, she thought, a ripple of raised fur moving along her back once again. Still, she accepted their presence and pressed on. They had answers, she was sure, and they might gift them to her if she proved herself worthy.

Perhaps that was why the female did not start as another fell in step beside her, silent and non-aggressive, but simply accepted the company. For a moment, Muirrin thought it was one of the spirits come to join her—but a quiet taste of the air told her the other woman's scent was tangible. Not a spirit, then, though she might have answers to share nonetheless.

After another few heartbeats of silence, Muirrin ventured, "Can you feel them, too?"
49 Posts
Ooc — Charmy
you will renew your son

Although she’d been unsure if the stranger would go on the defense, or if she would welcome the company, even if remotely. Aguta did take notice that the other woman didn’t flinch when the large woman fell into step beside her and, for the time being, that was a good thing. Aguta was lonely and craved the company of others, even to the point of basically soliciting it from a complete stranger. This would probably have had a different start were her cousin not missing and the borders still held fresh markings.

“Since the day I arrived on this mountain,” she answered the question asked of her. It was eerie sometimes, feeling the ghosts of past upon the mountain, especially since she knew nothing about the past that revolved around it. “Sometimes I can hear them. Can you hear them?” Aguta cast a sideways glance to the other female, taking in everything about her face, including the vibrant color of her eyes. She didn’t feel threatened in the least by the presence of this woman, nor did she feel as though she had to go on the defense. This was not something that Aguta allowed herself to feel easily.

53 Posts
Ooc — Riven
Muirrin, having recently come out of isolation herself, was similarly thankful for the company—and that she hadn't been greeted by teeth, or aggression, or any other similar emotion. It was somewhat odd for the pair to behave in such a passion, but wolves were meant to live alongside one another. Loneliness and the need for the security provided by numbers perhaps made those without a pack more irrational in their behaviors... and so Muirrin did not judge, but offered a silent thanks to the woman that now climbed beside her.

"They sound like the wind, I think," she responded, accepting the other's answer as easily as she had accepted everything else that was odd about this encounter. Muirrin had learned it was best to have one's heart and mind open; for that's when truly amazing things could happen. "I don't know if I wish I could see them, or if it's best that I don't." She was relieved that the other had not reacted as though Muirrin were crazed, but the Blackthorn had a hard time believing someone could live here and not feel the ghosts that lingered.

"My name is Muirrin Blackthorn, by the way," she added as an afterthought. "I think if I can get to the top, they'll give me guidance."
49 Posts
Ooc — Charmy
you will renew your son

It was strange for her to even remotely consider the company of a stranger like this, but loneliness was a terrible thing, driving one to do things that they just normally would not do, such as now. A silent nod of agreement was given. She hadn’t thought of it like that before, that the ghosts of the mountain sounded like the wind, but it made sense. It was definitely something to absolutely consider, though, and something she would quite likely give some more in depth thought to once she was entirely alone again because that was inevitable.

A slight shudder ran down Aguta’s spine at the thought of actually seeing the ghosts of the mountain. Granted, she sometimes saw Sos but, in her opinion, that was something entirely different, but was it really all that different? “Aguta Tartok,” she gave her name in return. When she had first abandoned her family name given to her by birth, it had been a little weird and she would occasionally forget, using her Kesuk name. But over the prior two years, it was no longer something she accidentally reverted to. Tartok was her name. Tartok was what she was, through and through. There was no doubt about that in her mind at all.

She continued to climb the side of the mountain by Muirrin’s side. “What guidance do you seek from the ghosts of this mountain?” she inquired, wondering if that was a question that was too bold or not.

53 Posts
Ooc — Riven
The conversation moved and flowed as easily as their pawsteps, and Muirrin soon forgot the ache of her muscles as she pushed them and stretched their capacity—for the climb of her own mountain, in the east, was far less demanding on the body. She thought the spirits here, of the wolves that had lived here long ago, were similarly stronger and hardier for it... perhaps that was why the lingered still. It was more difficult for the natural world to push them from the mortal plane; especially in a place that overlapped so closely with the otherworld.

For a moment, after Aguta's question, Muirrin was uncertain whether or not she wished to answer—or, rather, whether it was in her best interests to answer honestly. Though everything between them thus far had come easily, the Blackthorn had quickly learned from Scimitar that boldness was not always the favorable option. That she held an intensity that made others uncomfortable, and until she knew them well, it was best to present herself a great deal more guarded. She glanced at the dark woman, assessing her silently, and decided that she would trust. If Aguta believed in the spirits and could feel them, Muirrin wished to have her as an ally—even if the woman chose not to follow her.

"I have spent most of my life searching for a path," she explained quietly. "I think I have finally found it, but I wish to be sure. Our ancestors, whether of our own blood or further removed, have the wisdom I seek." There were darker, trickier spirits—this Muirrin knew—but while this mountain felt eerie, it certainly did not feel evil.
49 Posts
Ooc — Charmy
you will renew your son

Having traveled up and down this very mountain almost every single day since her cousin had selected it as their home, Aguta was unfazed by climbing it now. For the last two years, she had traveled up and down steep mountain sides, fully recovered from her tumble down the Tartok mountain (save for a slight limp that would never go away) and succeeded in overcoming the fear of the mountain that her fall had instilled into her. The scarred female was definitely physically fit, that much was certain.

She remained silent while the other female answered her question. For a bit, Aguta wasn’t certain that Muirrin was going to actually answer. When she did begin to answer, the scarred female remained silent, listening. At the moment, it was just the two of them, not including the spirits of old. That meant that Muirrin had Aguta’s absolutely undivided attention, which was a good thing. “But why the spirits of this mountain?” she further inquired. “Are there not spirits on the other mountains in the area? Or is it because this is the tallest?” Aguta knew that if her cousin wasn’t missing, this hike wouldn’t be happening. But since her cousin was missing, Aguta had no problem taking this walk with this stranger.

53 Posts
Ooc — Riven
"Would you believe me if I said it just... feels right?" she answered the dark woman's questions with one of her own. If they did not stand as equals for the moment, Muirrin might have shrank away for her insubordination—but she honestly didn't know how else to answer. She was sure that her mountain had ghosts and spirits of its own, but they seemed more reserved and more difficult to reach. It was as if the door to the Otherworld was open a bit wider here, or that there was a legion of spirits that existed here rather than a handful. Muirrin explained as much, no longer fearing that the woman might judge her.

Perhaps it was odd, then, that Muirrin wasn't looking to claim this mountain. If she sought answers from its spirits, if they were that powerful—why not? This might have been another question from the dark woman's lips, and if it were, Muirrin most likely answered honestly. It was almost too powerful here. It almost terrified her. It would be dangerous to show such fear, however; they would feed off of her, and lead her astray.

When they reached the highest point they could muster, Muirrin explained the ritual she was about to perform. A meditation that could not be disturbed. A meditation that could take weeks, or months, or year. Who knew? The agouti Blackthorn shrugged with a roll of her shoulders, and as night fell she settled into silence but for the wailing of the spirits.

It was dusk when she emerged, and the dark woman that had been her guide was nowhere to be found. Muirrin left the mountain whole and alone.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »