Porcupine Ridge Discontent is the First Necessity of Progress
<b>OOC Planning:</b> No.<br> <b>Major Powerplaying:</b> No.<br> <b>Minor Powerplaying:</b> Yes.<br><b>Sparring:</b> Yes.
45 Posts
Ooc — Isabelle
Title comes from this quote, by Thomas Edison, "Restlessness is discontent and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure." No need to match the length. Ellie wanted to think a lot and she sort of took over here...

Ellie was restless today. Her meeting with Peregrine, despite ending in a terrifying run for her life, had put some kind of need in her for her to prove herself. This both pissed her off and made her secretly... well, she wouldn't call herself happy, but at least her life had some kind of aim now. She was beginning to feel the itch of non-belonging. She wanted to be part of a pack again. She wanted to be part of something larger than herself again. But first she needed to figure out how she could contribute anything to her pack. She knew she would never make the best fighter or hunter, but no one in her future pack needed to necessarily know that, as long as she was doing something.

She had climbed this mountain as a testament to her newfound determination. And as a reward, she got to see the beautiful view below, though her muscles screamed angrily at her. To be truthful, she didn't give a rat's ass about the view, and she kind of hated herself for climbing up here, but she had done it. And, if nothing else, it had proven that she could put her stubbornness to good use if she really wanted to.

Ellie lay down to rest then, and to think about her next move. Where would she go? She had no idea where the nearest pack was, or what she would tell any Alpha she met in order to gain entry. Obviously, she needed to avoid telling anyone that she wasn't good at what most wolves were good at. She would tell them only of the skills she did possess, determination being one of them. She was also a good Outrider, which she already knew, since she had been plenty of places and enjoyed exploring. She could be a good Caretaker. She'd watched over pups before and knew how to keep them out of trouble and entertained. And she knew how to be blatantly honest with people, which might make a good Counselor. Those were the skills she had, and those were the ones she would flaunt.

Satisfied that she had found an answer to her problem, she gave a short howl of delight, secretly hoping it might attract the attention of any nearby wolf. Because -- first and foremost -- she needed to work on her being-nice skills.
But in the silence I heard you calling out to me
263 Posts
Ooc — Ashur
I was wondering if you could lighten Ellie's language for this thread. I get uncomfortable with too much swearing. Also, it's quite fun when character's think too much, is it not? Mine do that way too much (:

One minute he found himself lost in quiet contemplation, the next tearing across the western field that struck a grassy path to the mountains at the vale's edge. He could still hear the howl ringing in his ears, and Malachi moved with a swift pace despite the roaring of his heart. He ignored the fire that crept over his legs and pressed them on and on, unwilling to slow for the femme who gave the cry. Perhaps if Malachi had noted the delight that laced the howl, he wouldn't have pursued her shout with paws so quick. But the male could only imagine the cry of danger, and the lean male pressed himself on.

Malachi cursed himself when he finally arrived at the peaking rocks and scanned the ground every this way and that with darting eyes. Seconds passed and he hustled his quivering legs around the base of the peaks before pausing to scent at the air. Earthy rock hit his nose, then the coolness of the mountain stone. He concentrated harder and soon noticed a warm smell intermingled with both. Malachi shot open his eyes and tilted back his head to peer toward the top of a nearby peak. A flash of tawny fur signalled the femme's presence and Malachi released the breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding when he saw her safe at the top.

Well, as safe a wolf could be on a mountain ridge.

"Hey! You alright up there?" he howled to her. Concern still laced his face from his previous thoughts of her imminent doom.
Trades
[Image: warden.gif][Image: naturalist.gif] 1/5 | [Image: chronicler.gif] 2/5
<b>OOC Planning:</b> No.<br> <b>Major Powerplaying:</b> No.<br> <b>Minor Powerplaying:</b> Yes.<br><b>Sparring:</b> Yes.
45 Posts
Ooc — Isabelle
No problem! I'm sorry this post is so sucky and short. >.<

Ellie gave a "Hmm?" when she heard a male voice asking if she was alright, and looked down to try and pinpoint where it was coming from. Down below, staring up at her, was a wolf. She blinked in slight surprise, having not really expected anyone to show up, and then broke into a smile when she realize that her howl had worked.

"Yeah," she called down to him. "I'm fine." After a pause, she added, "Why don't you come up here? I'm lonely. We can talk."

In truth, she didn't care much either way whether he came up to talk to her or not -- though she got the feeling she would be at least slightly disappointed if he decided not to. She had howled to call the attention of anyone nearby, after all.
But in the silence I heard you calling out to me
263 Posts
Ooc — Ashur
Thanks! And I think your post is totally fine (:

Malachi watched the ridge with an unwavering stare. Moments passed, but soon the tawny wolf popped her head over the ridge and quickly met him with a smile. The ease in her voice confirmed the truth of her words, but he did not trust her safety so easily.

Her invitation came as a surprise, and the grey wolf met her words with a tilt of his head. After so many moons alone the prospect of company made his paws itch with a desire to bound up the craggy mountainside without a second thought, but the outcroppings looked perilous at best. Why the tawny woman had decided to climb up the slopes alone baffled the patchwork male, and he found himself shaking his head at her offer after a moment's thought.

"Ah, I'm afraid I can't join you today, miss." He coupled his reply with an weak smile before shuffling his feet away from the ridge. Her proximity to its side unnerved him, and he decided to stay nearby in case she did fall of its face. "Just howl if you start to slip, and I'll see if I can catch you." He shot her an uncertain grin and, with a bow of his head he backed away from the woman and left her on the ledge. Yet the Kalderon did not abandon her entirely and spent the remainder of his quiet afternoon around these strange outcroppings, keen to remain within her vicinity until he knew the tawny woman had made it safely down to the ground again.
Trades
[Image: warden.gif][Image: naturalist.gif] 1/5 | [Image: chronicler.gif] 2/5