Sleepy Fox Hollow If you rearrange the letters of Peru, you could spell Europe
88 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Private 
dated around the 8th -- for @Padma <3

After talking with the leader of Diaspora, Timberlake traveled down into the valley that reminded him so much of home. He'd make his way up the mountains eventually, but for now, he wanted to rest a bit. He was tired, physically speaking, and mentally a little despondent from the lack of success in his mission after Whitebark Stream. This seemed like the perfect place to take a break.

He padded among the bare, frost-tipped trees, sniffing around for any game that made their burrows here. The scent of foxes was heavy; he supposed any rabbits or voles might well be picked over by the local vulpine residents. Perhaps a stray mountain goat was to be found? They were plentiful in Round Valley, anyway.

But his search proved fruitless, and all the walking around tired him out. With a sigh, Timberlake settled in the hollow at the base of one of the towering trees, nestled in the undergrowth. He placed his nose on his paws and his tail over his muzzle, his copper eyes glittering in the early spring sun. The lids began to droop, slowly. . .

Before long, he was snoring.
The black of heart
131 Posts
Ooc — Keg

oh hello! :) <3

           

She had ventured far this time. Farther than she had in a long while. Her pace was set at a leisurely stroll the young woman content to find her way slowly. Black Hat had agreed that a recruiting trip was in order, and while Padma wasn’t the most talkative or communicative, she needed the freedom to move an do as she wished. Besides she had no intention of milling about at the bottom of the hierarchy. No. Padma would prove herself worthy of a glorious title.

Slowly as she walked the trees grew taller and taller, blocking the light from the sky. The dimness of the hollow, cocooned her, and the silence permeated the air. Padma was at peace in the foreboding wood, when a snore broke the hush. Perturbed and only slightly curious, Padma searched for the scent of someone nearby. Dropping her nose to the ground, but her luminous amber gaze trailed around looking for the noise.

There was a familiarity in what she found. The scent reminiscent of sunshine and dried grass. Her brow scrunched as she hesitantly followed to scent. She wondered belatedly if it was Radcliff, the only brother she had left. Of course, their last encounter hadn’t gone to plan, and so she wondered if she should turn back now. And never know who it was that lingered in the shadows. But Padma could never hold off her curious nature, and so she continued forward. Finding a dark pelted boy, rather than the blond she had somewhat been expecting. He steps were weary, and Padma let out a hesitant chuff in their direction. “Hey.” She spoke softly, glancing around for anyone else that could pose a threat.

"it is if everyone dies alone."
"Does that scare you?"
"i don't want to be alone."
3/5
0/5

88 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
The chuff drew his attention from dreams, and he awoke with a snort, bristling. He rose to his paws, slightly unsteadily, to find a young woman staring back at him a ways away. Timberlake drew in a breath and stiffened—there was something familiar in her scent. Something—

But no, he couldn't know this wolf. She was littered in scars, missing an ear, rough as any creature out here. He wouldn't know a seasoned mercenary like this, right?

Uh, hi, Timberlake replied, stifling a yawn. His words were still muffled and slurred by sleep. Can I, uh, help you? He inhaled, and again that familiar scent. She was an enigma. He blinked somewhat rapidly, trying to clear his mind. Trying to get a clearer picture.
The black of heart
131 Posts
Ooc — Keg

           

He rose slowly, more slowly than she would have liked. But still he did. Her eyes narrowed of their own volition as she was able to observe the young man more closely. Who was he? She couldn’t place his features, or his voice, but she was sure he smelt familiar.

Remaining at a good distance just in case, Padma lifted her head. Holding it high. “I doubt it.” She answered his question, straight and to the point. There weren’t many who could help her, anymore. And even fewer who she would accept help from. She was a loner, through and through, and had no intention of being seen as weak. No, she could take care of herself just fine. “Who are you?” Padma knew the question was rude, she knew her demeanor spoke nothing of respect or kindness. “You smell….familiar.” She hesitated, unsure if she honestly wanted to know him. Given the number of times she had been hurt and the dangers that lurked in this dark world, Padma wasn’t so sure she wanted to remember who this man was.
"Does that scare you?"
3/5
0/5

88 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
She wasn't very friendly, but she wasn't like that one guy, either. Stand-offish, but not threatening. His eyes widened as she, too, admitted he smelled familiar. Even something within her voice was ringing a bell, though he didn't know. . .what. . .

(It couldn't be—right? He'd know his sisters anywhere!)

Timberlake, he replied, tail swishing gently behind him. Who're you? He almost held his breath as he waited for her response, too anxious to even contemplate inhaling again (and having her scent send him down an uncertain wormhole of could-be memories). He wanted to hear it from her.

Who was she?
The black of heart
131 Posts
Ooc — Keg

           

Timberlake. He spoke his name with confidence, as if it were the most simple of facts. As if it was the easiest thing to know. And to him it must have been; but to her… to Padma, the girl who found herself completely alone in the world, without kin, without even a single friend to call her own, a boy harboring her dead brothers name was the hardest of things to understand. Her shock was evident, her jaw fell and her limbs lost a bit of their tension. Confusion dawned in her gaze. “W-wh-what?” Padma gasped, weakly, a shake in her voice.

Her question was fired back at her, but she almost couldn’t believe it. “I-I…I’m…Padma.” Her name hung awkwardly in the air. It had been so long since she had dared to think her family might return. Believing herself to be an orphan without relation nor belonging. A meaningless wayward child.
"Does that scare you?"
3/5
0/5

88 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Her shock was his shock, and it increased tenfold as she gave her own name. PADMA?! he exclaimed softly, weighty for all its hushed reverence. He stepped toward her, and then stopped. Another step. Another stop. 

This scarred, unfriendly girl—this was his sister?! Padma?! What on earth had happened to her? Where had she been? Did she know where their other siblings were?

Timberlake swallowed, blinking back the tears that had brimmed suddenly in his eyes. I missed you so much, he managed, choked. I've been looking for you everywhere.

He stepped forward again and relaxed his posture, allowing her (if she wanted) to come into his embrace. His sister.
The black of heart
131 Posts
Ooc — Keg

           

He was hesitant to come toward her, and Padma was equal as hesitant to allow him to come closer. She was brave enough to hold her ground, as she watched him with wide eyes. Tears pooling. She wasn’t sure what finally clicked, as she took a few rushed steps toward her brother. Her family. “Timberlake… I thought you were dead. I don’t understand.” And she didn’t. Her brother was suddenly before her, tangibly in front of her.

She sank into his fur, head pressed against the underside of his chin. He had taken after their father, his stature larger than her own. Even if their height difference wasn’t significant, Padma was more than happy to play the little sister card. This was her big brother. And despite the distance that had fallen between them, and the length of time since they had last seen each other there was still a bond between them.
"Does that scare you?"
3/5
0/5

88 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
She became even more real as she pressed against him. . .so real. He hadn't ever really thought she was dead, only missing, but the two states might as well have been interchangeable in such a huge world. She was found, she was alive, she was here.

I'm not dead, Timberlake sniffled, cuddling closer. We're not dead. Padma. . . He pulled back very slightly, allowing himself to look her over. So changed—the changes outnumbered the familiar things about her. Only the scent had remained the same.

His words stuck in his throat; he cleared it, shaking his head in astonishment. What happened? he whispered, eyeing the worst of her scars. Her ear. . .gone. Padma, who hurt you?

He was ready to go out and beat them up now.
The black of heart
131 Posts
Ooc — Keg

           

He affirmed what Padma could easily tell, her brother was alive, she could only nod into his chest before pulling away. The young girl she had once been, foolish and reckless, resurfaced. As if she had never run away, as if their family have never been torn apart.

Of course, he asked after her ear. Padma’s amber gaze flicking up as if to look at the vacant spot on the top of her head. She hadn’t been able to hear out said ear for awhile now, and often forgot most people had two fully functioning ears. It’s not as if she could see it herself. She hummed to herself thinking of the best way to word the attack that happened so long ago, that changed the happy go lucky girl. “To be honest I don’t remember much from that night. He surprised me, and at the time I couldn’t defend myself.” There was a nonchalance tone in her voice, the encounter only vague in her memory. She still had nightmares of the event, of shadows lurking in a dark void, but very little concrete memory remained. And the young woman had long since come to terms with what had happened. Her plans for the man, should she ever encounter him again, were gruesome and violent. “It happened so long ago now…” Padma drifted off slightly, thinking of the past. Where she had been a year ago.

Shaking her head of such thoughts, Padma returned to the present. The here and now. With her brother. “Where did you go Timberlake? What happened to you?” After the fire, everything was a blur, and she hardly remembers the last time she saw her sibling. Surely his path had been just as disastrous as her’s….right?
"Does that scare you?"
3/5
0/5

88 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
An uncharacteristic rage rose up within him as Padma told her story—rage and shame. He hadn't been there for her. He could have protected her (or so he told himself). He blamed himself, and he blamed the bastard; if he ever ran into the perpetrator, Timberlake wasn't sure if he could hold himself back.

I'm so sorry I wasn't there, he growled, hot tears pricking at the corner of his eyes as he stared down at his sister. I—you—I'm— He swallowed, at a total loss for words for a few heartbeats. I'm sorry, Padma. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

She asked him the question he expected, and like Padma, he hummed in brief contemplation. I went with Eventide to Round Valley—where our extended family lives, he added, by way of explanation. She wouldn't know that, would she? Yet now Round Valley was more a home than anything else could be. Dad's sister, Sunspot. . .she kinda runs the place. Lots of our cousins are there. . .

Yearning filled his face quite suddenly, and Timberlake felt his breath catch. Come back with me, Padma, he pleaded. It's so good there. Everyone will be so happy to have you. It's beautiful and safe. . .and I'll be there. Come back with me.

When the siblings parted, things had been left undecided. Would she choose this new life, or would she choose family?