Swiftcurrent Creek Only hate the road when you're missing home.
333 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
The days dragged by, and her heart was no less heavy. She'd begun to yearn for Shadow in ways she'd feared; fleetingly she would consider going back to him and begging his forgiveness, promising to never flee again. But it wasn't that simple. Paar missed him fiercely, the part of him shed learned to love, but knew that she could not accept his harsh, cruel Roman laws.

Paarthurnax steeled herself and pressed on, still holding onto the hope that her former mate would not seek her out. She didn't want to be found, not yet anyway, for she wasn't prepared to explain her reasons for disappearing without warning. Ultimately he would find her: Shadow was a skilled tracker, and her location was so predictable, but it took days to travel between the Creek and the Bypass. It gave her time to think, and continue to contemplate how to tell him that their brief relationship was truly over.

Until the day came when she came face-to-face with her spurned lover, Paar sought to integrate herself once more as a member of Swiftcurrent Creek. She was not sure who remained that she'd known during her previous time in the pack - Galileo, but Paarthurnax had not had the opportunity to get to know him. So she abandoned her little hollow late that cloudy afternoon and head off in search of company to settle her troubled mind.
<p style="font-size:12px;color:#000;text-shadow:1px 1px 8px #000;"><span style="font-family:georgia; font-size:12px;"><i><b><FONT COLOR="#5a0b0b">t</FONT><FONT COLOR="#5a0c0c">h</FONT><FONT COLOR="#590d0d">i</FONT><FONT COLOR="#580f0e">s</FONT><FONT COLOR="#56100f"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#551110">t</FONT><FONT COLOR="#541211">a</FONT><FONT COLOR="#531311">s</FONT><FONT COLOR="#521512">t</FONT><FONT COLOR="#511613">e</FONT><FONT COLOR="#501714">s</FONT><FONT COLOR="#4f1815"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#4d1a16">l</FONT><FONT COLOR="#4c1b17">i</FONT><FONT COLOR="#4b1c18">k</FONT><FONT COLOR="#4a1d19">e</FONT><FONT COLOR="#491e1a"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#48201b">i</FONT><FONT COLOR="#47211c">r</FONT><FONT COLOR="#46221d">o</FONT><FONT COLOR="#44231d">n</FONT><FONT COLOR="#43241e">,</FONT><FONT COLOR="#42261f"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#412720">b</FONT><FONT COLOR="#402821">l</FONT><FONT COLOR="#3f2922">o</FONT><FONT COLOR="#3e2a23">o</FONT><FONT COLOR="#3c2c24">d</FONT><FONT COLOR="#3b2d25">,</FONT><FONT COLOR="#3a2e26"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#392f27">a</FONT><FONT COLOR="#383128">n</FONT><FONT COLOR="#373228">d</FONT><FONT COLOR="#363329"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#35342a">g</FONT><FONT COLOR="#33352b">r</FONT><FONT COLOR="#32372c">e</FONT><FONT COLOR="#31382d">e</FONT><FONT COLOR="#30382d">d</FONT></i></b></span></p>
53 Posts
Ooc — Tokio
Hope you don't mind me! Trying to get 'Fari to meet his pack mates. And I've been wanting a thread with you for a while. :-)

The Shaman Apprentice had been out and about attempting to scavenge what medicinal and non-medicinal herbs and plants that he could before winter killed everything. As it was, the pickings were already slim, and he had already accepted the idea that he would have to make do with substitutes until spring came. It would have been easier, Nefarious knew, if Suluk would have let him take the stores he had already had in Akkuma, but his father had accepted no word of taking from Akkuma. Nefarious hadn't considered it theft if because if was his own caches that he was raiding, but even so, Nefarious knew better than to argue with the Warlord. Nefarious had never won an argument against Suluk, and had long since accepted the truth that he likely never would, no matter how old Nefarious was. Suluk was a commanding creature and one did not simply disobey without facing the consequences for the action; and more likely than not there was a life lesson wrapped in having to start his cache of poisons and medicines from scratch. Two years later and Suluk was still schooling Nefarious in life. Nefarious just did not wish to anger Sos or Atka for not being able to do complete rituals, especially if he was missing key ingredients. He did not know if the Great Bear Gods made exceptions.

It was on his search for things to add to his pitifully bare cache outside his den, that he came across the scent of a pack mate. One that, admittedly, he had yet to meet, which wasn't all that surprising considering his newness to the Creek. He paused, deliberating for a second if he wished to allow himself to be distracted by the opportunity to meet another pack mate, or if he wished to keep searching. The latter option seemed horrendously anti-social, and the Shaman didn't want to be seen as a hermit, though wild assumptions and rumors were likely to surface if his Shamanism was taken wrongly, which most of the time it was. For now, Nefarious kept it private, much as he did his chosen faith, unsure how it would be perceived by these wolves.

A quick glimpse was given as towards the cloudy afternoon sky as Nefarious deliberated before he decided that a break wouldn't hurt. After all, he'd been on the search all morning, thus far. Diverting his course he began to follow the scent trail finding it's owner a few minutes later. A moment of hesitation was given as pumpkin orange gaze found the woman, her sides swollen with the children she carried in her womb. A moment of doubt clouded Nefarious as he wondered if he would be attacked by some over protective mate for even just starting a conversation with her, but decided that conversations were harmless and he had every right to talk to a fellow pack mate. A soft chuff left the Kesuk's lips to announce his presence to her, though he stayed back, allowing her the option of either acknowledging him or ignoring him.

333 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
Yay! I was hoping you'd join, hehe. Wanna make this into a healing thread? Sorry that this one is short, also. :X

The appearance of another in her line of sight caused Paarthurnax to stop in her tracks, and she lifted her tall red ears to focus on him entirely when he woofed softly to announce his presence. Quickly she scanned his two-toned form - burgundy, fading elegantly to the pale, warm hues of his undersides - before looking upon his gentle features with uncertainty. His gaze was vivid against his dark mask, a vibrant shade of tangerine, though Paar's own fiery copper eyes were promptly averted as she realised that this male's status in Swiftcurrent was unknown to her. If he was of higher rank, the last thing she needed was to provoke him like she seemed to have done with Dovev.

But he did not advance closer. Instead he stood his ground, neutral and non-threatening. The sleek Frostfur stayed put, though the friendly sway of her feathery tail offered her newest companion the opportunity to approach if he wished to. Paarthurnax let her shoulders slacken and released the breath she'd held, allowing herself the cling to the hope that this wolf was one that Shadow hadn't gone out of his way to piss off.
<p style="font-size:12px;color:#000;text-shadow:1px 1px 8px #000;"><span style="font-family:georgia; font-size:12px;"><i><b><FONT COLOR="#5a0b0b">t</FONT><FONT COLOR="#5a0c0c">h</FONT><FONT COLOR="#590d0d">i</FONT><FONT COLOR="#580f0e">s</FONT><FONT COLOR="#56100f"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#551110">t</FONT><FONT COLOR="#541211">a</FONT><FONT COLOR="#531311">s</FONT><FONT COLOR="#521512">t</FONT><FONT COLOR="#511613">e</FONT><FONT COLOR="#501714">s</FONT><FONT COLOR="#4f1815"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#4d1a16">l</FONT><FONT COLOR="#4c1b17">i</FONT><FONT COLOR="#4b1c18">k</FONT><FONT COLOR="#4a1d19">e</FONT><FONT COLOR="#491e1a"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#48201b">i</FONT><FONT COLOR="#47211c">r</FONT><FONT COLOR="#46221d">o</FONT><FONT COLOR="#44231d">n</FONT><FONT COLOR="#43241e">,</FONT><FONT COLOR="#42261f"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#412720">b</FONT><FONT COLOR="#402821">l</FONT><FONT COLOR="#3f2922">o</FONT><FONT COLOR="#3e2a23">o</FONT><FONT COLOR="#3c2c24">d</FONT><FONT COLOR="#3b2d25">,</FONT><FONT COLOR="#3a2e26"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#392f27">a</FONT><FONT COLOR="#383128">n</FONT><FONT COLOR="#373228">d</FONT><FONT COLOR="#363329"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#35342a">g</FONT><FONT COLOR="#33352b">r</FONT><FONT COLOR="#32372c">e</FONT><FONT COLOR="#31382d">e</FONT><FONT COLOR="#30382d">d</FONT></i></b></span></p>
53 Posts
Ooc — Tokio
Sure! It's okay, and yep, that's fine with me. :D

Nefarious might not have ever had one on one experience with a pregnant woman before, nor, admittedly, had he ever dealt with a zealously overprotective mate — as to which he was hoping was not about to happen because the Shaman was in no mood to have to defend himself when he wasn't doing anything wrong — but he knew enough to firstly (and likely most importantly) give plenty of personal space. Pregnancy 101, though extremely awkward for both involved parties, had been essential in his training, if only because being a Healer sort of went hand in hand with Shamanism. Just as much as knowing how to kill with poisons also played it's role. Easily, Nefarious could save a life as he could take it though he did not actively go around boasting of it. The Voodoo had always been his favorite aspect of it but his Master had seen to teaching him all of it, the side of Shamanism associated with Atka and the side associated with Sos; and since Nefarious found a balance within the Great Bears he had learned both sides. Mostly, his decision to give the pregnant woman before him space was a common courtesy. Nefarious was nothing if not charismatic, and while he wouldn't consider himself a gentleman he tried to remember his manners. Suluk hadn't been stingy on Nefarious' lessons, much as Nefarious tended to moan and complain about them in his childhood.

The woman did not move, either, except for the sway of her tail that gave him the sign that the situation wasn't hostile and that, likely, he wasn't about to be mauled by anyone. Which was good because rituals were coming up that he didn't particularly want to miss. Taking the invitation for what it was the Kesuk ghosted closer to her, offering a soft smile, lowering his own stance in tender submission. He was ranked as Sigma upon his joining of the Creek which put him at the lower (if not lowest) point of the ranking spectrum. Which was okay. He was new meat after all and he would have to earn the right to hold a higher rank in the hierarchy — just like everyone else. It was strange going from War Prince to a nobody but that was the risk Nefarious had taken when he had left Akkuma. “Hello,” Nefarious broke the silence that hung around them, taking the initiative to speak to her, as he studied her with soft curiosity. She was pretty with her fire kissed fur that faded, much like his own though opposed to tan her fur faded to a snowy white. She was delicately built, he noticed, which made her pregnancy almost even more pronounced. Though Nefarious did not want to be rude and stare at her rounded sides, but it tended to draw the eye nevertheless. Outwardly, he didn't dare ask of it, because it wasn't really any of his business, so instead he settled for looking at her face, avoiding her eyes if only because he wasn't challenging her or anything.

“I'm Nefarious Kesuk,” In hindsight the word itself didn't give good leeway as a nickname given the synonyms of the nickname itself, but he had been a wicked little child, and in the some semblance the worship of Sos could be seen as malicious given that he was the Dark Father. He hardly ever introduced himself as "Anik" anymore, though forgetting his first name would be like forgetting Suluk — impossible.

333 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
Paarthurnax couldn't dismiss the young male's obvious curiosity as he eyed her subtly swollen flanks, and she managed to smile a little with her heavy exhale in amusement. She blinked over a shoulder at the gentle curve of her side to briefly observe her body's most recent physical change, and could have sworn her heart was set aflutter. With all the drama and chaos that her disappearance from Noctisardor Bypass had attracted, Paar's attention had been mostly directed elsewhere; soon she would bring her children into the world and no matter what, she would see to it that they had the very best start in life.

"I suspect I have about five weeks to go," she announced, turning her head to look upon the features of her two-toned companion once again. He avoided her gaze, much the same way as she made an effort not to meet his, and so decided to remain entirely neutral. Rank was not something she had to flaunt around and, presently, she was in no position to be demanding submission from anybody. She was a burden and an outsider to several wolves of Swiftcurrent, no doubt, and had a lot of work to do to earn their trust.

He provided for her his unusual name, and the crimson healer pricked a lobe curiously. Paar dipped her muzzle politely. "I am Paarthurnax," she said, not offering her surname - they were pack-mates, and she did not wish to build such formal relationships with her fellow Creekers.
53 Posts
Ooc — Tokio
Nefarious' gaze, having lingered upon her swollen sides as they had, had not been as subtle as he had hoped and the Kesuk had been caught red handed by her. It had been pointed out when she declared that she thought she had about five weeks to go before she gave birth. “I didn't mean to stare,” Nefarious moved in to seize the opportunity to smooth things over should she have been offended by his wandering eye. “I apologize.” It had been rude and Nefarious wasn't unaware of that fact. In the reality of things, it wasn't really that big of a deal that she was pregnant. Women found mates, settled down and gave birth all the time. After all, it was how she and he were there at the current moment. It wasn't his business, even though she was his pack member. It didn't really concern him and so the Shaman was willing to let it go, unless she fancied talking to him about it; but that was a conversation he would allow her to pursue if she wished.

Nefarious watched as she dipped her muzzle at his introduction, well mannered. She looked like she might be the kind of lady that was prim and proper — then again first impressions weren't everything. Her name was foreign sounding, but exotic, pleasing to the ear to hear as it unfurled from her lips. Whether he could pronounce it correctly or not was a whole other story. “Your name sounds quite exotic,” and there was no mistaking that it fit her with what Nefarious might have considered perfection. He suspected that like him she did not hail from these Wilds, though of course, he could not prove or disprove that theory. Nefarious wished to sate his curiosity, but for the sake of remaining charismatic kept his questions to himself, mostly because the bulk of them came across as prying to him and while he was interested in things like that, in learning about his pack mates the Shaman wasn't willing to push.

333 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
When he apologised for staring, Paarthurnax dismissed it. It wasn't that she didn't wish to accept it, but simple because she felt no need for one. She smiled warmly at the two-toned male, who fell silent, then made to change the subject by bringing forth the topic of her unusual title. "It holds no real meaning," the crimson Frostfur said with a casual roll of her slim shoulder, "I was named for my mother's lore. My siblings and I were either called after a dragon from her stories, or something in relation to my father's Persian background. But you are right: I am not of this region, and hail from the deserts in the South."

She pricked her velvet lobes, anticipating further curiosity regarding her unusual background. Paarthurnax was a sleek, elegant and obvious foreign beauty; it was perhaps her difference in appearance that drew Shadow's attention to her in the first place. Painfully the sleek mother-to-be recalled how bashful she'd felt when her former partner commented on how pretty she was, but she cast the memory aside. She had left Shadow for so many reasons, yet still Paar often found him at the forefront of her mind.
53 Posts
Ooc — Tokio
She dismissed his apology, and Nefarious decided that now was a good time to let it go. If she wasn't willing to make a big deal out of it, than neither was he. The exotic woman's smile was warm, Nefarious noticed, and softly the edges of his own lips curled upwards to mirror her expression. It was with curiosity that Nefarious' left eyebrow raised slightly when she admitted that her name held no deep meaning, that it was nothing more than lore. The Shaman himself held a name of his native tongue, Inuit, that he did not speak of mostly because it was something that he naturally coveted, reserving it only for the closest of family. Initially, Suluk hadn't meant for the affectionate nickname of “Nefarious” and all of it's variations: Fari, Nefari, et cetera, to become something of an alias for the young Shaman to use in place of Anik. Perhaps it was the fear that someone would realize the meaning of his “true” name and take advantage of the fact that he was deeply connected to both Sos and Atka. Or perhaps, Nefarious was overly paranoid and too proud of his spiritual and voodoo based connections with the Great Bears. Even so, he presented an enigma instead of his actual name while keeping the truth close to his heart.

Nefarious was fascinated by the religions of others, or lore, or faith or whatever word it was that they liked to call their beliefs. He liked to collect them, as he collected bones for talismans. He wanted to be a cultured individual even if his belief remained rooted by steel in Atka and Sos. There was nothing that said just because the Shaman didn't share the belief that he couldn't be interested in it as far as “stories” went. He had no intentions of converting himself, though the idea had crossed his mind that perhaps he could gather some more followers of Atka and Sos during his time here. He was a Shaman, but there was nothing that said he couldn't also become a Priest, especially considering that he was, presumably, all alone in his faith here.

Nefarious had been silent for a small while, absorbing her words. “Dragons,” Nefarious repeated with a small smile. There was nothing that said dragons couldn't exist in his own mind. “It would be rad to see one,” He admitted softly, hoping that his interest didn't offend her. Ideally, her mother's naming process sounded way cooler than his family's own, despite that Suluk had been spot on when naming Nefarious himself. “Sounds much more interesting than my family's own naming process,” Nefarious admitted to her with a soft little snort. Not that he didn't like his name (either of them) because he did, but he had to admit it would have been awesome to claim he was named after a dragon. Instead all he had was a name that pegged him for what he was: a proclaimed prophet of sorts.

Which in comparison seemed mighty boring.

333 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
The bi-coloured Frostfur's expression brightened considerably, keen to know that another outwith her family shared an appreciation for the mythical creatures she and several of her siblings had been named for. She recalled pretending with Nebuc as children that the lizards they lived alongside in the desert could grow to be as mighty and fierce as those of their mother's lore, that they would develop wings and colours as vibrant and beautiful as those in their imaginations. Those times had been simple, easy, joyful. Samarkand had provided a wonderful start to her life; she was ashamed to admit to herself that her own pups might not experience the happy beginning that she had.

"Indeed. I wish they were real," she said softly, and her features softened. Her father sprung to mind, and Paar wondered if he'd heeded her advice to return home to her dam and tend to the latest additions to their growing family. Having failed to share with him her pregnancy, he had little to remain for - Paarthurnax had made it perfectly clear that she was not going to be budging from the Teekon Wilds. Casting her concerns aside, the crimson sandflower focused on her bright-eyed companion who mentioned his own family's apparently un-exciting naming process, and sparked her curiosity to learn more about him. "Is that so?" Paar asked, opening up the opportunity for him to explain.
53 Posts
Ooc — Tokio
I can't tell if this post got extremely weird, or deep. Or both, lol. xD

Gaze of pumpkin orange lingered upon her face, as softly as a gaze could linger, watching as her expression seemed to illuminate, Nefarious assumed, from his ability to believe in creatures of mythology. He believed in many things that others might consider mythology, though he would probably sacrifice anyone who called Sos and Atka mythological to Sos himself. How could something be mythical when he'd seen them with his own two eyes? Then again, Nefarious wasn't the kind of creature to spurn and slap a label of imaginary onto something simply because he hadn't ever seen it before. Perhaps that was because Atka and Sos had opened his mind to many impossibilities and gave him the courage he had needed as a child to accept them, and embrace voodoo and the weight of holding the knowledge to both save a life and end it. There were times, not often and fleeting when they did hit, that Nefarious wondered what kind of wolf...what kind of man he would be if Suluk hadn't found him and taken him in. He remembered nothing of his biological parents, nor of himself to the point of being hungry. Not even a name lingered.

“How do you know they're not real? They could be. Maybe somewhere else in the world. Or maybe they're just really small nowadays.” Faith was a delicate subject, and a touchy subject for some, but he figured if it was something she wanted to believe in then...why not? Reality was different to everyone. The Shaman had learned that reality was just a perception, an interpretation that could be manipulated, and as long as he or in this case she thought something was real then no one else could tell her with certainty that it wasn't. Nefarious could see Sos and Atka, hear them even, but to the others that couldn't ...they wouldn't believe obviously. It was sort of the same principle. It didn't always work like that, granted, but most of the time things were just psychological.

Figuring that he was already getting to deep, and likely prying in things he shouldn't the Shaman let it go, eager to move onto the next subject which happened to be about her mother's naming abilities, which Nefarious thought were quite exceptional. Parrthurnax left an opening for him to elaborate, Nefarious assumed, upon Suluk's own method of naming his children (adopted or otherwise). His older brother, Arux was named after a brother of Suluk's that had been sacrificed to Sos, which was easy enough, and a sister named after Suluk's guardian after his parents had left: Janelle Akna. No one had ever claimed that Suluk was overly creative, though it appeared that he had put the most thought into Nefarious' own name, which might have instigated some sort of favoritism despite that Nefarious had not been of the Kesuk's own blood. “My older brother is named after a deceased brother of our father, and my sister is named after my father's foster mother, and my given name is quite a literal interpretation of my particular skill sets, but my nickname stems pretty obviously from my behavior as a child.” Nefarious said with a small laugh. He didn't mean to be so elusive and enigmatic with the vagueness in which he presented her a response with but his name was something he had came to covet, intending to share only with close family. Mostly of Suluk's design to “keep him safe” from other followers of Atka and Sos. Or something like that.

333 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
Her father had believed in Gods. Several of her siblings had too, but religion was not something that had been forced upon her while she was growing up. Much like her mother before her, Paarthurnax opted to believe in reality: she followed her instinct, and did not let anything else sway her. She focused on learning from her elder medic, not the teachings of her religious kin. If she had been born to a sire and dam of the same background, perhaps her outlook on life would have been very different, but Paar was thankful for Nita's wish to let her children seek and find their own paths rather than allowing even Xerxes to force his religion down their throats.

Throughout her relationship with Shadow, she'd opted to steer clear of bearing his traditions and beliefs. She expressed interest in those he followed, of course, for she was curious and wanted to respect his choices. Paar did not take his surname as he probably desired her to, deciding at once upon their official mate-ship that she would continue to call herself a Frostfur.

Nefarious' surprise in response to her comment regarding the dragons brought none to her, and she regarded the younger wolf with quiet contemplation. She knew that religion was a touchy subject for many, having faced awkwardness often among her former pack-mates in Samarkand, but she knew how to approach the situation gracefully. "Apologies," the crimson sandflower offered with a gentle smile, "I opt to believe in only what I can see. I meant no offense. But you are right - those are possibilities to consider."

Content to keep from delving deeper into rocky waters, the mother-to-be moved once more onto the topic of Nefarious' family's own ways of naming their pups. He said that his siblings had been named for notable relatives, something Paar herself had never quite understood - surely new life deserved a new name, not one borrowed from another? "Your given name? What might that be?"
53 Posts
Ooc — Tokio
The fire kissed woman offered him an apology with a gentle smile that let Nefarious know he may have stepped some sort of boundary that she did not wish to cross with his words, speaking that she believed in only what she could see. “Don't be ridiculous, I'm hardly offended,” The Kesuk responded with demure swiftness, wanting to aid in defusing any misunderstandings that may have occurred. At least now, though, Nefarious knew better than to speak about his own belief in faith. He had assumed upon his arrival in Swiftcurrent Creek that he would have to keep it on the down low, though such a thing felt like an insult to Atka and Sos. Despite that he saw the bears through his day to day dealings with the world, it was true that it was not a gift that all wolves who followed the faith was bestowed; and as far as Suluk was able to tell him it was a rare thing to be connected to both of them. Nefarious could understand her way of thinking though. It was hard to believe in something that you could not see, or feel. To a certain degree, the Shaman agreed. It had taken a couple sightings of Atka and Sos, and a few more months to initially conquer his fear of them before he fully believed and jumped into the arts of voodoo and shamanism.

To say that Nefarious did not expect Paarthurnax's following question wouldn't be the complete truth. It did not come as a complete surprise, though deep down, Nefarious had been hoping his vagueness did not spark the curiosity, despite that he suspected it would have. It usually did. Nefarious should have been good at side stepping it, and typically, he was. Usual routine was simple enough: admit that the right to know his true name, given to him by the Gods through Suluk, was something that he was to covet like a stolen secret. Though it sometimes weird-ed out those who had asked, the subject was typically dropped. His gaze examined Paar, brow furrowing slightly as he attempted to figure out why he suddenly had the urge to just tell her. Perhaps it was because she didn't believe, and likely wouldn't believe and so he felt that giving her his true name would have no real bearing. She wasn't going to take advantage of his gift, and anyway, Nefarious wasn't the small, helpless and frightened child he'd been when Suluk had found him and took him in, and introduced him to ...everything. Nefarious was a man grown and could take care of himself, with words, poison or (and this was typically a last resort to the Shaman) physical confrontation. He wasn't afraid anymore, and it seemed silly, now that he thought about it, to continue to hide his name.

He had done it for so long that it had become nothing more than habit. That “Nefarious” had became a character in and of itself: a mask that he wore in the face of strangers.

“It is Anik,” The Inuit name rolled off of his tongue as if it had been his native language, though instead it was a secondary one. “It means Seer, or Prophet. I suppose I should explain that it lies heavily in my beliefs and faith, but I won't bore you with the details,” Nefarious respected her right to not believe in anything in particular so considered that avoiding details was the best route to go. The Shaman was left with an odd feeling then, like he was left standing naked in a crowd of people. He felt exposed to Paar, though all he had done was give her his true name. In hindsight: it was small, literally nothing and yet he couldn't help the way it had left him feeling. Slightly chagrined with a dash of trepidation, doubting his decision simply because he felt that he could trust her without any rational proof to back up the gut feeling.

Nefarious couldn't deny that the exotic woman before him left him feeling ...charmed. Like a cobra put in a trance by music.

333 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
Paarthurnax abandoned the heated topic of faith, wishing not to pursue it further. Everyone was entitled to believe what they wished, regardless of what another might think. Her heart did ache at the thought; religion had been one of many reasons that she and Shadow could not be compatible. Her former mate had been so devoted to his Gods that at times, she wondered if he could love her as fiercely. It was ridiculous to compare herself to creatures she could not herself believe were real, and she'd tried to express interest in them, but ultimately his outlook on life was just far too different to her own.

"Anik," she repeated with a warm smile, "it is a good, strong name." The crimson beauty eyed her young companion curiously, her feathered tail lashing thoughtfully about her haunches. "So, Nefarious is something of a nick-name? Was it tradition in your home for all children to inherit a new name as they grew and developed personalities?" It was not uncommon for pups to live out their first few weeks or months of life without a title. A name was important: it was something that a wolf would live with for their entire life, so she understood that some parents wished to make time to find the right ones.
53 Posts
Ooc — Tokio
The topic of their names was a fresh reprieve from the obviously austere difference of thoughts on religion, and respectful of her thoughts Nefarious made a mental note, should they cross paths again, not to bring it up. It was hard, sometimes, when it was such a massive chunk of your life, though in retrospect it was as simple as not saying anything. In the reality of things, keeping it “on the down low” wasn't a massive deal, considering that Nefarious had already resigned himself to avoiding speaking about it given that he had no idea how the wolves of this Swiftcurrent Creek would take his religion. Not to mention he did not know if they were tolerant of such things, or not. It wasn't something that Nefarious could ascertain in a short amount of time, either. Though Nefarious would not go so far as to keep it a secret — after all he was an adult and was hardly ashamed of his beliefs, he could, at the very least, keep it hushed. If they were curious they would ask, and if they weren't he would probably become the pack oddity with his voodoo, curses, and talismans. Coming from a pack that openly required the faith to a pack who, likely, knew nothing about it was a massive culture shock but one that Nefarious was confident he would be able to get through.

Paarthurnax repeated his name, recapturing his previously wandering attention, causing the Kesuk's ears to cup forth, orange gaze focused upon her. It was strange hearing someone else, someone that wasn't closely related to him speak his given name. Nefarious wasn't sure how it made him feel, hearing her repeat his given name, rarity that it was. In fact, she was the first that wasn't a Kesuk to know it. A small part of Nefarious feared Atka and Sos might come and devour him for telling it but neither came. The air was still and frigid, and everything was as it had been. When Paarthurnax went on to compliment the name, Nefarious was at a loss on what to say as a response. He wasn't sure if he should thank her or not, though the act of thanking seemed silly if because Nefarious hadn't picked his own name. It was the one that had been chosen for him. Even Nefarious had been chosen based upon his own actions and behavior as a child.

“Thank you,” The shaman murmured, not knowing what else to say, and knowing that he didn't want to leave her feeling slighted when she'd complimented his given name. “That is correct,” Nefarious responded at her question regarding 'Nefarious' being a nick-name of sorts. It was more than that from Suluk's reasoning, a masquerade mask of sorts, intended to hide the dreams of the Great Bears that everyone considered to be “visions”, but he didn't feel like getting into all of that. Nefarious didn't want to have to explain that his father was a possessive individual and that his possessiveness did not fail to grasp it's hooks into his children. “Not really, no. I think there were a few that did, I think a cousin of mine did, but for the most part no.”

333 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
He thanked her, and she accepted it with a polite bob of her pretty crown. Compliments came easy to Paarthurnax, who'd lived almost her entire adult life having them spoken to her; it brought her no shame or awkwardness to share her honest opinion of someone, as long as it was a good one. Truthfully, the crimson sandflower found that she much preferred this male's given title, though she would make an effort to call him Nefarious as he had introduced himself as.

"Shadow" had not been her former mate's true name. Later into their companionship, the ashen brute had confessed that his real calling was something else entirely, but Paar never did speak it in his presence. She felt that she should have, given their bond, but he'd chosen to bear his informal name for... some reason.

Despite finding comfort and the potential of a new friendship in Nefarious presence, Paarthurnax felt great guilt for allowing her abandoned lover to dominate her thoughts. She blinked, seeking the look upon her comrade's handsome features, and let a thin smile tug at her lips once again. "I have a selection of names in mind for my own pups," Paar said gently, sorting them in her mind: Odahviing, Durnehviir, Relonikiv, Akatosh, Krusiikrel... there were many to choose from. "I am not sure which I prefer, though. My mother always said that I would know when I looked upon them for the first time." She had her firm favourites though, and of course held dear the ones that Shadow himself had hinted at. Moving on from the topic of her children, for she did not wish to bore Nefarious with her hopes and dreams, she asked: "do you intend to pursue any trades as a member of Swiftcurrent?"
53 Posts
Ooc — Tokio
Though saying “thank you” for something that he had no control over felt ultimately odd to the shaman, pumpkin gaze lingering upon her, watching as Paarthurnax bobbed her head in a polite manner in response. She seemed like the kind of woman that was used to receiving compliments, and not for any other reason that she just had that look. It was true that her beauty would be hard to rival, and thus, the Kesuk did not know any females that he could openly compare to her for outer beauty, as shallow as it sounded (and accordingly seemed), she easily took the cake, so to speak. Nefarious was sure, though, that Paar had other assets than just striking physical beauty; but just because the shaman's first love was voodoo and his faith didn't mean he was blind or in any shape impervious to feminine charms. He wasn't, and he found his newly meant pack mate to be quite charming, though back pedaled as quick as he could from that particular thought given the fact that she was quite pregnant which insinuated that she had a mate, and surely said mate would not be overly fond of the idea of some other male appreciating his mate's beauty, or finding her charming despite being heavily pregnant as she currently was.

Paar spoke again of her unborn children, stating that she had several names in mind for her children. “Will you follow your mother's tradition of being named after dragons?” Despite that it, truly, wasn't any of Nefarious' business he was curious, and didn't mind. He left the invitation open for her to elaborate and tell him if she wished too; or not if she did not wish to become that personal. After all, Nefarious understood that they were still strangers. Never mind that she knew something that hardly anyone else did about him. He still felt naked knowing that she knew his true name, and worse yet contemplated telling her that she could call him by it because he had liked how 'Anik' sounded spilling forth from her lips. He had gone by “Nefarious” for so long, though, that to decide to shed it in favor of 'Anik' felt like taking off armor in the middle of a war. Nefarious wondered if her mate would be there for the naming processes but decided, on a haunch, not to ask.

Paar's following question was a switch of topics, this time moving to any trades that he was looking to earn in the Creek. The concept of trades was awfully similar to Akkuma's universal co-ranks though unlike his home Swiftcurrent Creek did not have specific co-ranks tailored uniquely to the pack itself. So, Nefarious was left to try to pick three that were relevant to his training. “Primarily my focus will be on healer. I was a medic in my previous home, which is basically the same thing,” Just a different word for it, in reality. He did not confess that he was more than just a medic, but it was a relevant term without going into the messy details of faith, religion, and voodoo magic which he knew that she did not believe in. “I have to do some recon and find out what's universal, and what's indigenous to this specific area. Once I learn what's poisonous and what isn't it should be no problem earning it.” For the most part, it was learning the indigenous plants, and their uses.

“After I earn that I'll probably turn my sights to warden as a secondary.” He admitted simply because there was nothing to being a warden. Suluk had forced his children to make the rounds in Akkuma all the time and he knew how to handle different situations that could potentially arise. That left his tertiary trade, which was still a large unknown.

“What of you?” The shaman returned the question with soft interest. “Do you have any trades, or any that you're working towards?”

333 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
He asked after what she planned for her own childrens' names and she smiled, though it did not quite reach her eyes. Paarthurnax had discussed pups with Shadow on several occasions: what they might look like, who they would take after most, what they wished for them to know, what they would be called. She held to heart the title he'd wished for a firstborn son, Traianus, and she'd once imagined this boy to be as powerful and bold as his father before him. Now that she knew of what Shadow was truly capable of, Paarthurnax could not doubt that she feared her sons would grow up to believe themselves to be as arrogant and cruel.

"For some of them, yes," she admitted, "their father wished for some to be named from his own heritage, but..." Paarthurnax averted her gaze downward, feeling her heart swell with the too familiar ache of remembering that her perfect little family was not meant to be. Her children would not have their father permanently to guide them, and for that she felt immense guilt. "Forgive me. Their father is no longer in the picture." She rolled a shoulder, surprised at herself for so openly telling this fragile information to a wolf who was practically a stranger. But there was finality in Paarthurnax' words, a tone that suggested she was done talking about the matter, and she was keen to move on in their conversation again.

Nefarious admitted his desire to pursue the healer skill, and at once her eyes were lifted. She sought the male's tangerine gaze, "I was trained in the ways of healing as a youngster, and held the title as I progressed into the adult ranks. I'd be interested in sharing what I know of the useful plants in the area with you, if you'd be so kind as to teach me a thing or two about what knowledge you gained from your homeland?"
53 Posts
Ooc — Tokio
Nefarious' ears cupped forth to listen as Paarthurnax responded that some of her children would be named following her mother's tradition but then admitted that their father wished for them to be named from his own heirtage — understandable to the shaman given that it was ony fair they split the traditions evenly, after all Nefarious himself was named for tradition; and he was not even a Kesuk by blood. The shaman's attention was caught by the way his lovely companion's word faded ending in a but — rarely a prelude to anything good — and felt a soft pang in his chest for her when she admitted that the father of her unborn children was no longer in the picture.

In a way, this knowledge assuaged any guilt that Nefarious had felt at having appreciated her beauty, and brought with it a relief that he wasn't about to be torn apart by some possessive and over protective mate. It had to be hat for her, Nefarious considered, being an only parent but he felt with an assertion that he should not have had being as new as he was that the Creek would take care of her and that she would never truly be alone.

Regardless, Paar's tone suggested that she did not wish to speak of it further and Nefarious was willing enough to let it drop. He was curious, of course, but never curious enough to pry into affairs that did not directly concern him. As it was, he was mildly surprised that she had opened up for him and told him as much as she had — though in hindsight it did not bare a direct difference from his own admittance that Nefarious was not his true name. The desert woman's gaze held his and the offer she extended towards him was one that he could no refuse even if Nefarious had wanted too (which he didn't). He could teach her some thugs about his knowledge learned in Seahawk Valley and in exchange she would teach him about plants indigenous to these Wilds. Nefarious could not find a downside to this exchange and so spoke, "You make an offer I cannot refuse," with a soft smile to accent his words. "When would be the best time to start for you?" After all, he had nothing to do but she likely did and so the shaman was more than willing to allow her to set the place and time where their first lesson would commence.