i will find another way
98 Posts
Ooc — Victoria
For @Summer ! <3

The morning was frigid, cold enough that in the cusp of the rising sun Sumayl could see his warm breath snake out from betwixt his lips in writing plumes of white steam. Still, the nipping cold did not keep Sumayl from his daily routines, though the idea of curling back up in his den did sound awfully inviting, though he resisted the allure. It wasn't like he had anyone to curl up to and so it was definitely more easy to resist. He had things to do, anyway, and lazing about in the cozy confines of his den wasn't at the top of the list. It was only after feeding himself that he set upon checking the food caches, mentally cataloging which ones needed more and which ones seemed, for the moment, to be okay. Giving that it was colder, Sumayl was hesitant to venture out as far as he had been before, unless he had a companion, such as Vienna. Even so, he did not want to run the risk of getting caught out of the territory by some monstrous snow storm or something. Instead, the Ostrega settled for tracking herds closer to home, keeping a keen eye on their movements hoping that they did not wander too far away from where he was, currently, willing to venture on his lonesome.

The caches weren't wanting for large amounts of meat, which was a good thing because these were the months with which Sumayl knew they would be hit hard, especially when circumstances gave cause for the wolves of the Sunspire to stay within the confines of their home. Or at least, it would give cause to Sumayl, though he would not obey a direct order given to him from the Alphess, though he was surprised given the highly ran tension between Jace and himself that Sumayl hadn't been kicked out. He was waiting for the day, never mind how morbid that sounded; for there was no doubt in the Ostrega's mind that Jace had warned Amekaze about him, given his tendency for insubordination and criticism when it came to Jace, who unfortunately for Sumayl was the Beta. Whatever. Jace could tattle on Sumayl all he wanted, and if it ended in Sumayl's ass in the snow, homeless then it wasn't like it was the end of the world. Sumayl had long ago accepted the fact that he wasn't valuable to these packs, that he was like a piece of clockwork that when broken could easily be replaced, it was how Sumayl thought the world worked, simply put, despite his penchant for extreme narcissism. Narcissism didn't always equal ignorance, and if there was one thing that Sumayl liked to think it was that he wasn't as ignorant as his arrogance sometimes made him seem.

After deducing that the caches weren't overly pressing, he instead turned his attention to the borders, figuring it wouldn't hurt to get a patrol in before the afternoon.

i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Thanks for starting!

After the confrontation with Jace that he barely remembered, Summer had spent many fitful days alone in his den going through the torturous process of sobering up. Never had he experienced anything so miserable. His emotions had gone haywire, anxiety, depression, an every terrible thought or feeling he'd ever had wreaking havoc, making him physically ill and restless and other words he'd never be likely to come up with to describe it.

And then, finally, he awoke to see the sunlight again. Summer blinked away the sleep from his eyes an licked his parched lips. After a long while he stood and on weak legs, he clambered out into the world almost like a newborn emerging from its birthing den fir the very first time. The sun hurt his his eyes, so he made his way to the river that courses through the spire by following his nose.

Summer drank his fill greedily once he reached his destination, stopping only to look up as the scent of another wolf caught his attention. He peered at the golden male for a moment, instinct wanting him to greet him so that he could get a gauge on Thu apparently new package. Instead, he turned back to the river and walking right in to give himself a very desperately needed bath.
Open for Commissions! PM me for more info :)
98 Posts
Ooc — Victoria
Sumayl's focus of attention was on the trade of Gamekeeper, though this was mainly because he was a excellent hunter and tracker and it had been his main co-rank previously. Starting all over from scratch was kind of a pain in the ass, but Sumayl had no qualms of showing off his skills and so he let his begrudging behavior on the matter roll off of his shoulders. Given his tenancies for insubordination it was probably a good idea to work his ass off to back up his words. After all, words were nothing, Sumayl believed, without actions that proved them to be true. A thirst stole a hold of Sumayl's greater attention span and though, at first, Sumayl deigned to ignore it for the sake of not wanting to have to start his patrol all over for something as insignificant as a drink, despite how close the river was, after a persistence Sumayl let out a soft noise of indignant annoyance and altered his course so that he ended up at the river, not too far, as luck would have it, from where he'd paused in his patrol to sate the thirst.

Initially, the other male, while having caught the golden Ostrega's attention Sumayl couldn't be bothered until after he took care of his own needs. Bowing his head towards the water, Sumayl lapped at it eagerly, though not as eagerly as the other had previously been. Golden gaze went to the younger male with casual curiosity as the ebony creature stepped into the water. A small shiver slithered down Sumayl's spine as he considered how cold that water would feel rushing over the warmth of his body. It had to be freezing cold figuratively, if not literally. “Are you trying to catch a cold?” Sumayl couldn't help but ask aloud. Granted, a bath would be nice but there were hot springs that were a much better choice further south if Sumayl was being honest. Then again, that was just his personal opinion.

i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Summer closed his eyes as he stood in the numbing, icy waters of the river, as though he were merely relaxing in a sauna. He opened them again only when he heard the other wolf speaking to him. He gazed at the golden male wearily, pondering his words slowly in his barely working mind.

"That would be nice," he responded after a moment, "I feel like I've been stuck in a volcano for the past week." Summer sank further into the river until only his head was above water. Then, with a deep breath, be submerged himself fully. It was only a few seconds later that he re-emerged and gulped in the fresh, cool air with renewed vigor. He gave his head a good shake, droplets of frigid water splattering in glittering circles every which way, whether that was on/at his packmate, he barely even noticed.
98 Posts
Ooc — Victoria
Sumayl didn't intend to sound like a parent, and in reality, the idea that he might have came across as such was enough to make the golden Ostrega cringe. Not that he didn't like kids, and not that, someday he didn't eventually want to be a father, but knowing how much he hated being told what to do by adults, or chided or whatever, made him sorry he had even opened his mouth to begin with. The other male was young, though Sumayl couldn't pinpoint an exact age. It was simply, easy enough to tell that the ebony creature currently standing in the river, was at the very least younger than Sumayl himself. Then again, a cold wasn't nearly as bad as pneumonia or whatever else the boy ran the risk of currently catching drenching himself in frigid water like that. The other, though, didn't seem all that concerned with the prospect of getting ill from the chill, responding that he thought it would be nice, and going further to explain that he felt like he'd been dwelling in a lava pit for the past week. “Fevers?” Sumayl inquired, mentally figuring — though he was no medic — that if he'd already been ill it would skip the cold and jump straight to pneumonia. His knowledge of such things came from his foster mother's near constant nagging and worrying over the things that he, and his siblings got themselves into growing up. Of course, being young was enough to give a false illusion of invincibility, though Sumayl, deep down, knew better. His biological parents hadn't been old and yet they had died tragically in the forest fire that had turned his life upside down. To this day, it haunted him, gave him nightmares, and made him terrified of fire. Sometimes, even, lightning bothered him, knowing that it could start fires and that it was close enough.

Since the Juvenile didn't seem inclined to care Sumayl rolled his shoulders in a simple shrug, muttering a “Whatever, kid,” under his breath. It wasn't Sumayl's job to take care of him, so in hindsight, he couldn't be bothered to care beyond the initial warning. Not to mention, it was easy to assume that most kids were like him: even if he was told he wasn't likely to listen. Sumayl learned his lessons the hard way because he was pigheaded ...which was still pretty true, despite that he was well into his adulthood. For a moment, Sumayl hesitated on if he should just leave and let the ebony boy go, golden gaze watching as he ducked his head under the water, seemingly content with his frigid swim/bath, though he stayed stationary when the Juvenile gave his head a shake, splattering Sumayl, who offered a disapproving frown, with icy droplets. “So what's your name, kid?” Unless of course, he didn't mind Sumayl calling him “kid” all the time. Sumayl wasn't the greatest with names unless it was important for him to remember them, in which case he applied the extra effort needed. "I'm Sumayl." The golden Ostrega offered, in case an incentive or pressure of society expectations was needed.

i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
The wolf didn't seem to be too interested in talking to him, which Summer was perfectly content with. He did not much like being referred to as "kid" repeatedly, but he was in no mood to do anything about it. He just turned to look tiredly at the golden wolf. "Summer," he replied after a moment. He turned and walked steadily back up onto the shore, shaking the water free from his belt as best as he could as he went.

He looked at the stranger--no, Sumayl--again as he stood upon the shore. "Sumayl," he said slowly, "You at all interested in hunting down some food with me?" Summer was in no shape to hunt on his own. In fact, he probably wasn't going to do the golden wolf a whole lot of good either. But, it was certainly worth a shot. He felt as though his stomach were on fire from hunger.
98 Posts
Ooc — Victoria
When Sumayl didn't receive a response to his inquiry involving potential fevers — for what else would make the boy feel like he was housed inside a volcano? — the golden Ostrega shrugged it off. It wasn't his business and saying that he cared was a false implication. In some way, Sumayl supposed he did care because the other was a pack mate and if he died then they'd be down a wolf but he didn't truly care on any personal level one way or another, as cruel as that sounded even to his own self. The boy gave his own name in response to Sumayl having given his, Summer. It was easy enough to remember if only because it was a season and accordingly a word that Sumayl knew well. It also, as chance would have it, happened to be his favorite season, followed closely by fall. “Do you have any siblings named for the other seasons?” Sumayl couldn't help but tease the boy lightly, even though he felt only slightly rude after words. Apparently, not rude enough for him to rectify it, and even though it felt rude it had been something of a genuine question.

Whether the boy was insulted by Sumayl's teasing inquiry regarding his name or not, Sumayl really didn't care either way, and turned his attention instead to the question that was presented. “How long has it been since you've eaten ki-Summer?” Sumayl caught himself quick, eyeing the boy up as if he could tell if, anything, he'd eaten recently. Luckily for Summer, hunting for him was something that Sumayl could do. “I'll help you out,” Sumayl responded simply. “I'm going for the Gamekeeper trade so anything I can do to help me earn it, the better.” It still seemed a little redundant that he had to re-prove himself, though Sumayl understood. These wolves didn't know him and for all they knew he could have been blowing smoke out of his ass when he told them he was a damn good hunter. He hadn't been lying, but there was really no better merit to test his word than to make him earn what he wanted.

i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Summer felt his head swimming again. He peered at the golden wolf as he asked his question, a smile cracking across his lips. "No, I have no siblings," he replied, completely unaware that he was speaking to one at that very moment, but such was life. If his packmate was being rude, he had no idea of it. He wasn't so sensitive to take the question as a slight. Even if he was, he wouldn't have had any idea in his weakened mental and physical state.

"I feel like it's been weeks," Summer admitted, taking a deep breath, "I really appreciate your help, even if I can't offer too much of it myself." Summer looked off towards the higher peaks, then along towards the forests and their winding streams. "This time of day, the herds would be higher up the mountain, grazing when the wind is so calm such as now. I don't know how much help I'd be in taking down such game, but if you believe you can bring a doe down on your own, I'd be happy to lead you."
98 Posts
Ooc — Victoria
The boy admitted that he had no siblings, and Sumayl took his response to mean that he didn't hold his teasing against him, or perhaps in his state simply hadn't picked up on it. “Sometimes I wonder what that would have been like,” Not that Sumayl didn't love his siblings to the ends of the universe and back because he did. He might have been third born of his litter but he was fiercely protective over them all, whether they needed it or not, and though part of him enjoyed being away from them, he also missed them with a fierce yearning. “I've got three litter mates and three foster siblings.” Seven of them must have been a massive handful to Takalv and Harlyn and sometimes Sumayl wondered, as he looked back, how his foster parents had had so much patience — especially with him. Sumayl liked to think he took the cake as the rebellious, dominant child, causing trouble when he had no other options of getting attention for the fear of becoming one of the invisible ones. “It probably got pretty lonely though, huh?” To Sumayl, the idea of being an only child sounded depressingly lonely despite that it also sounded pretty good, at the same time. All he had to compare it to was his own experiences growing up, which, from the sounds of it, were vastly different.

“Don't worry about it,” Sumayl brushed off the kid's talk of not being able to offer much help. Sumayl wasn't overly worried about the help Summer was, or was not able to offer him. “I was a Hunter or Gamekeeper I guess is the term around these parts, in my last pack and sometimes taking things down by myself was necessary,” So, it really wasn't a big deal to Sumayl. His odds were a little off at the prospect of taking down a doe by himself, but he was confident enough in his abilities. The biggest part would be getting her separated from her herd and the buck. It would make the deed much easier if he didn't have an angry buck charging after him, attempting to smash in his rib cage with his antlers. Not that does couldn't do their own amount of damage with their hind legs and hooves, but isolation was always a hunter's friend when it came to prey. “Show me the way.” The Ostrega invited, assuming that, that was what Summer had meant when he said “lead” Sumayl.

i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Summer said nothing when Sumayl offered his thoughts on the subject of siblings. In truth, it had been terribly lonely, especially since his parents had gone from his life so early in his life. The sound of having six whole siblings and half-siblings was wondrous to him. How different his life would have been with so many to love and care for, and to do so for him in return. He gave a small shrug when the golden wolf asked about the very thoughts that had been on his mind, forcing a smile of reassurance. It had been tough, but he had survived. There was little point dwelling on something he could never change.

He was pleased to hear that Sumayl had some experience already with gamekeeping. The Sunspire could never have too many hunters under its peak, especially with Winter so soon upon them and too much of their time searching for their foolish alpha. The Ostrega gave the amber-touched wolf a grin and turned to canter off, up towards the peaks.

The journey hadn't taken them too long, for Summer was well versed in the paths that littered his kingdom home. They passed through the Oasis and wound their way up into some of the lower crags until finally the rocks cleared away into the vast valley of Echoes, nestled at the feet of the towering giant that was The Sunspire. Just as the boy had suspected as he pulled himself and Sumayl up to a stop upon to peak of a small ridge that lined the southernmost dip into the valley, a herd of deer loitered innocently amongst the long streams that stretched across the plains, just waiting to be preyed upon.
98 Posts
Ooc — Victoria
As much as Sumayl's siblings had gotten on his nerves, as much as they had fought with one another growing up, he wouldn't have traded those memories or them for anything. Though, with no doubt, there had been times, in his anger at them he had wished he'd been born an only child — as all siblings did — but he had never truly meant it, and reflecting back upon his childhood he was glad that he had not been an only child. He could not truly imagine it but even without that ability it sounded terribly lonely. His siblings had helped shape him into the man he had became and for that he was grateful. Sumayl caught the Juvenile's smile of reassurance and shrugged, accepting it.

Sumayl followed after Summer easily, his steps casual and evenly paced, not wanting to exert too much energy especially because he was going to have to chase and tackle whatever it was Summer wanted to eat by himself (or so Suma assumed). Not that Sumayl minded — in fact there was no time that Sumayl could recall in which he didn't want to show off his prowess to another. The day he was not eager to show off was the day in which the Apocalypse would surely be upon them. The journey was short, and Summer seemed to know his way around The Sunspire extremely well, and when Sumayl joined Summer upon the small ridge, his golden gaze was immediately drawn to the herd of deer that the boy had his mind on.

Instinctively, Sumayl began to search for the weakest link, looking for the youngest or the sickly. Either made an ideal target, though it was the herd's Buck that he would need to keep an eye out for. Sumayl wasn't entirely eager to go head to head with one, especially with an impressive trophy of antlers atop his head. The easiest thing to do was to attempt to seclude the target and chase them away from the herd in the confusion and fear that took them over. “Which one did you have your eye on?” Sumayl inquired in a low voice, wanting to get all the details before he charged head first into the heat of it. Hunting was about precision and execution. Normally, Sumayl would have been watching the herd for days before making his move, watching their patterns closely. He did not have this luxury now and so turned to Summer to fill in the blanks.

i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Summer kept his eyes glued to the herd even as Sumayl joined him. He wouldn't be taking down their prey that day, but that didn't mean he was no longer a hunter at heart. He would help the golden wolf in any way that he could, and one of those would be by helping him pinpoint a mark.

It seemed Sumayl had the same thought. He narrowed his sharp yellow eyes as he scanned the herd, waiting patiently for one of them to show their weakness. The pair stood in silence for a few minutes before finally, Summer spotted something that intrigued him. He leaned over to his counterpart and bumped his shoulder gently against him in order to subtly get his attention.

"That doe near the edge of the herd..." he whispered, "It keeps lingering by that log near the stream while the rest of the herd is slowly moving away... It may have a fawn hidden there. Let's move down there and see if the doe will move back to the herd or if she'll stay by the log. If she stays, I'll draw her away and you can get in at the juvenile." He was strong enough to avoid getting himself killed by the doe at least, although this late in the year, her young was likely large enough to pose somewhat of a challenge even if it was weak enough to need her attention still.
98 Posts
Ooc — Victoria
Though it was very likely that Sumayl could have pinpointed a deer to take down himself — that was apart of being a hunter, after all — the golden Ostrega couldn't help but think that it was perhaps, only polite that he allow Summer to choose which he wanted. The prize, providing that Sumayl was actually successful at taking it down, would end up being Summer's to snack on or conserve or do whatever he wished with it. Polite wasn't something that Sumayl did often and it felt strange to offer a courtesy now, but he did it anyway. After all, it wasn't like he was doing this without gaining anything from it. It wasn't an entirely selfless act. He was getting the chance to prove his prowess as a hunter, and hopefully help to earn his place further within The Sunspire; something that he needed to do considering the fact that he liked to get into verbal fights with it's Beta: Jace. Not a great start, Sumayl had to consider.

Sumayl was broken out of his errant thoughts when he felt Summer's shoulder nudge against his to get his attention. Sumayl's gaze followed Summer's own, ear cupping towards the youth when he began to speak, pointing out his target. Sumayl found the doe Summer made reference too easily, eyeing her, and looking for signs that the youth was correct: that there was a fawn she was keeping hidden, tucked away, foolishly by her side, away from the herd as if that was going to protect it. “Sounds like a plan,” Sumayl broke his silence to murmur as he began down the incline, his eyes trained on the doe, taking the initiative to head down first, knowing without needing to look back to confirm that Summer wasn't too far behind.

i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Leading and instructing others was something that seemed to come naturally to the young Ostrega. It was a trait that his father had had when he was young, but that he'd lost along the way. Dhani had been born was a great amount of potential that he'd never managed to live up to in all of those years. His demons had gotten the better of him time and time again in ways that Summer had never and would never know. The young wolf lived his life now in a way that he hoped would make his father proud, little realizing he was also making his way to reach the potential Dhani had always wanted for himself and then for his son.

Summer merely nodded as Sumayl agreed to the plan and set off. He too began to make his way down the slope in the golden wolf's tracks, arcing away upon reaching the bottom to play the herd dog to keep Sumayl's path clear to make the kill. Working together, the two managed to seize their quarry and share in a feast. The young dawn didn't provide too much of a meal, but it gave Summer enough strength to return home and sleep off the rest of his hangover.