Stavanger Bay just dead air
even if we survive
82 Posts
Ooc — Ash
For @Ragnar or @Thistle Cloud please. Other siblings (including adopted!) welcome too! :)

It was about time for Levi to learn a trade, so that morning he hung around the den, hoping to find Ragnar or Thistle Cloud to shadow for the day. Even though he never spoke aloud, there were ways he could communicate his intentions to others. Charon was pretty good at translating for him if anyone was confused, but his brother wasn't always with him. Eventually, Levi knew he'd have to speak out loud. He knew how to; as a younger pup he had spoken to his parents and siblings. After mother and father had left, he had even talked a bit to Liyani, before she disappeared.

But since then, Levi had been wordless. He hadn't been altogether silent, however; he still whined or laughed or growled, depending on the situation and how he felt that day. Most of the time he felt good enough to get out of the den and wander around. It was getting easier each day to go about his life, though he wasn't as energetic or lively as Charon. Levi didn't think he would ever be that way, but there was no telling how he would have been with a regular childhood.

Perhaps he would be a happy, energetic, and bumbling boy. As it stood, though, Levi was docile and quiet, a boy who was curious to a fault, but with little to say for himself. He knew that would have to change eventually, because not every wolf he encountered would entertain his silent ways, but it had worked for him so far. In that, at least, he was lucky. Levi sat near the den's mouth, nudging around in the sand for his favorite chewing stick, waiting for one of his guardians to emerge.
crash down like an avalanche
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle could certainly understand those who didn't speak. Gunnar, Gyda and Mercury's father was after all a mute. She had wondered if either of her babies would be born that way, but they hadn't been. For that she counted her lucky stars. To say she worried for Levi would be an understatement. He was a quiet boy, only spending time with his brother. It was a shame that she hadn't been able to devote more time to them. It really was.

Thistle came back to the den with something for the babes to nibble on. And it was with quiet surprise she came across Levi in all his puppy glory sitting outside. He seemed to be waiting on someone, but who she wondered. Having not spent much time with her, she thought perhaps he was waiting for Charon. Perhaps Charon was off with Gunnar as he usually was as of late. She nudged the child gently, Hello Levi. She did not expect an answer in return, but she still offered one none the less.
even if we survive
82 Posts
Ooc — Ash
After a while of digging for his stick, Levi simply sat in the sandy dirt near the den and waited. He didn't have to wait long for Thistle to show up with food in her mouth. He smiled when he saw her, quickly standing up and trotting over to her. She gave him a gentle nudge and said hello, to which he replied with a playful nip of his teeth on her chin and a head-bump to her chest. She was the first wolf he had seen and met after his own family, and he always liked her, even if they didn't spend much time together.

Though he was a quiet boy, he was curious. He tilted his head slightly, poking his nose toward the world outside their little den site, asking, Can we go out? He wanted to learn a trade, but he wasn't sure how to tell her that with his body language. He wanted to be helpful, to make a difference in his pack, but being silent wasn't doing him any favors. Maybe he'd have to actually start speaking soon, which wasn't his favorite thought of the day.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle smiled warmly at his greeting, he was a quiet soul. However, he was still a sweet child and one she hoped would grow and prosper. He was like her own, though admittedly she wasn't as close to him as she would like to be, Charon either for that matter. She would need to fix that.

Thistle saw him point towards the beyond and she debated whether or not to agree with him. She didn't know body language all that well, though spending time with Crete had certainly changed that a bit. She looked around Would you like to go on a walk or something today Levi? I can take you if you like? She smiled again and waited, she would gladly take him wherever he wished to go as long as it was within the confines of the bay's massive territory.
even if we survive
82 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Levi nodded and smiled, thumping his tail happily behind him. He and Miss Thistle hadn't spent too much time together, but it was good that she understood his body language. He knew eventually he would have to speak, but for now he was content with this form of communicating. Eventually, after months of doing the same movements, he would have to use words to convey his more complex meanings, but the simplicity of a pup's life and needs was covered by this basic form of talking.

He wondered where they would go today, and what he would learn. He needed to learn a trade, but what that would be, he didn't know. Perhaps Thistle could show him some, but he didn't know how to ask just yet. Maybe that would be the time he would speak, but it wouldn't be today. He wasn't ready for his voice to be heard above the din of the world.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
I'm sorry for my lateness I was very ill this last week

Thistle returned the thump of of his tail, with one of her own. She shifted her body, they would be able to understand him, but soon enough. As he got older, he would need to speak, or his meanings may become construed incorrectly. For now though, he was just fine.

She turned and looked around, Shield-Maiden's sorrow was always pretty. Come with me Levi. I think you will like to see the waterfall. You mother and I found it. Would you like to see it? She tilted her head, and wagged her tail. Hoping that he would come with her. She wanted to share with him something that, she and his mother had shared.
even if we survive
82 Posts
Ooc — Ash
At then mention of his mother, Levi was momentarily confused. Wasn't Thistle his mom? But then as memories came back to him, slowly at first, and yet still very vague, he could recall the other wolf he knew, the lighter colored one, who had gone missing when Kevlyn did. With a sad smile and a nod, he stood to follow Thistle. He wanted to see whatever she wanted to show him, and he'd follow every direction and rule to do so! Levi wasn't much right now, but he was a good boy.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle would have gladly taken up the mantle of mother, if that is what Levi wanted her to be. She didn't mind, and Julooke had been her very best girl friend. She brushed her muzzle across the top of his head gently, licking the side of his face. Then with a small cant of her head, she lead him towards the forest and it's secrets.

Stepping over vines and tree roots, she looked up at the top of the trees, bare now in their winter glory. But come spring they would be thick with foliage and pretty green leaves.

When spring comes, it is beautiful here. She led him further into the middle of the forest and stopped as the edge of the waterfall came into view. It fell down the side of the trees, in all colors of white. Frozen solid and beautiful, but cold and unforgiving. She looked back to make sure the child was following her and she offered him a smile, and stood at the edge far enough away, that he wasn't near it.
even if we survive
82 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Levi followed Thistle closely, his eyes and ears open to everything around him. Though he didn't speak yet, he absorbed the knowledge imparted by the world and through word of mouth. He wasn't stupid, just quiet. When they arrived at the waterfall, Levi's face split into a huge grin. This was beautiful! The water was frozen and it fell in sheets of ice over the rocks, tumbling beneath its protective cover into the iced pond below. A few yards down the stream liquified again, a sight that confused him. How could it be solid and liquid in the same area?
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle watched as the youth absorbed everything. She smiled softly to herself, she knew very well that he wasn't simple. No he was probably very smart, beneath that quiet exterior. She shook her head in delight.

Her eyes danced merrily and she smiled, when his face brightened up. She watched the brows raise in confusion, and she chuckled. She leaned over and looked down, ah yes the ice to liquid. She spoke softly, "Since the water is always moving, and moving fast there, it doesn't get to become ice to often unless it is very very cold. We have had a mild winter.
even if we survive
82 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Wrap this up?

Thistle smiled at his question and pointed toward the water where it flowed quickly and explained that since it didn't get very cold, the water didn't freeze. Levi nodded to show his understanding. He grinned, turning back toward Thistle Cloud, and bounced on his front paws. He was excited! He liked learning new things, but the day was wearing on; soon they would have to return to the den for bedtime. For now, though, he was ready and rearing to learn anything new she wanted to show him.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
of course and updated one perhaps?

Thistle chuckled to herself at his exuberance. It made her day, to see him so happy. She motioned for him to follow. She took careful paw steps down the side of incline, staying far away from the water's edge. Keeping a weather eye on the little one. One time Julooke, your mother scared me to death. When we first found this, it was warm. She took a running leap and flew right over the edge into the water. It was fun, come summer if you remind me. I will bring you and Charon to do that too. Would you like that Levi?

Thistle did not mind taking the place of the child's mother, however she was determined to speak up about Julooke. To keep her alive in their hearts and minds. She wished, she could speak more on Verrine as well, but alas she could not.
even if we survive
82 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Levi grinned at the thought of his faraway mother flying into the water, scaring Thistle at the very sight of her. At Thistle's suggestion that she bring him and Charon back here in the spring and summer, Levi nodded; that would be fun! He would like to swim in its depths, to understand what happened beneath the water's surface, and find out if any fish lived in this tiny pond. He didn't know what to think, but followed Thistle along the stream, his entire attention rapt upon her words.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
They traversed the river for a bit. She pointed out the herbs, and fungus and animals she knew. Other than that, it was bare, and there was not much about them. She looked at him, and smiled. Shall we head home Levi? Come back another day?

She did not wait completely for his answer, before she started turning towards home. She would explain the plants and trees that were about. There was not many area of foliage, but there was some bits and pieces to show him. Mostly were dead for now, thought they would begin to grow soon. She actually could not wait, to share in that world with her adopted and biological children.