Stavanger Bay left side drive (IC joining)
267 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Anyone welcome! :D

For one who wandered so often, Atreyu had a terrible sense of direction. It could be that that was his problem β€” he was a wanderer and didn't usually intend on returning back from where he had originally dispersed from. Yet here he was, back within Teekon Wilds' grip or, more specifically, Stavanger Bay's. Pale eyes studied the dramatically changed landscape; he had never seen the Wilds in the midst of winter. While the coast was relatively unchanged (just much cooler than before), the lands surrounding it from what he had seen were covered in a light dusting of snow, some lakes had even frozen over. Though, the boy hadn't really the desire to travel further inland, sticking close to the coastline. Here, it was warmer, the prey was plentiful (if you knew where to look) and the ocean didn't change β€” one could follow it for months and still find their way back home.

Something Atreyu considered the Bay to be.

Although he grew up in a nomadic pack, he had felt oddly comfortable in a stable place, a claimed land they could return to and roam wherever they pleased. Sniffing along the vaguely familiar shoreline, Atreyu followed the trails that led down the beach, picking up new scents along the way. He hoped they remembered him, if they were even still there. With a frustrated growl, he tried to push away the nervous tension that threatened to show on his face, ignoring the worrying thoughts. No, he stilled smelt wolves around, too many to just be coincidence. There was definitely still a pack here, he just hoped it was Ragnar's. Coming to a stop before the archway through the cliff that led into the territory, Atreyu stared, his usual confidence faltering. Should he call? Maybe he should just wait? Or just turn back? Would they accept a deserter? Taking a breath the boy let out a quick, uncertain howl for the leaders before turning on his heel and beginning to pace back and forth along the shoreline.
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle was patrolling the borders, content with how they were growing. They had more members, and they were beginning to thrive again. Now if only they could keep it that way, have it stay. She would be happy with that. As she walked she thought on different things, and some of her memories. She remembered some of the faces that had come and gone and she briefly wondered at them. Gavriil and Aine and the few others that came and went.

Dipping her muzzle to the ground, she continued on. Only to freeze when a howl resounded. She smiled another member potentially, how amazing was that. She trotted towards it with head held erect and a regal bearing. She stopped short when her eyes met that of Atreyu. Hello Atreyu. Then just like that she grew quiet and simply stared at him. Her gaze had hardened slightly, she hoped he had a good reason for leaving them, because otherwise her husband would not handle her letting him back in well.
267 Posts
Ooc — Laur
He didn't have to wait long. Atreyu stopped his nervous pacing as soon as a small figure appeared under the archway. He paused, one paw left dangling in the air and eyes watching carefully as she walked towards him, exuding authority. He knew who this was but her name escaped him β€” though he knew for certain this was Ragnar's wife. Her name was something like...Rosebud? Juniper berry? Inwardly, the boy frowned as he desperately tried to remember her name before suddenly she said his own, causing him to guiltily flinch in reply.

Like a scolded cub, Atreyu kept his gaze averted, both out of respect and because he did not want to meet her icy gaze. It wasn't like he had even been a long-term member of the pack, but Ragnar had accepted him when he wasn't even a yearling, they had given him food and a place within the pack. And, foolishly, the boy went ahead and wandered a little too far away, abandoning them in hopes of finding his own family again β€” not that he'd actually admit that. Like he had a better excuse, though. Summing up some confidence, the boy respectfully dipped his head to the woman, tucking in both his tail and ears. "Evening," he replied simply. He allowed himself a fleeting glance at her face, light eyes meeting deep azure for half a second before his gaze fell back to the ground. "S-sorry."
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle saw him flinch and she smiled softly, her heart softening just a little bit towards him. After all he had been young when he had first entered their borders. Had been a lowly peon. She tilted her head, as she studied him.

Thistle smiled her gentle heart completely softening towards him. It's okay Atreyu. So what brings you back? Do you wish to have a place amongst us again? She waited quietly, she sat to her haunches holding herself regally, but waited patiently. He could form his words, she hoped to calm him a little bit. There was nervous energy coming from him.
267 Posts
Ooc — Laur
He visibly relaxed as the female spoke again, her words softer than before. He felt the fur on his hackles slightly lower, not even realising they had been on end. Nerves were a strange thing to the boy, he wasn't often anxious and, when he was, the feeling was only fleeting. He didn't even realise he was going to be this tense upon meeting with alphas of the Bay. Surely they would forgive him β€” it had been a rather common occurrence within his tribe for members to disappear for weeks on end. But maybe it was different for a pack who had lay claim to a territory. The ones who left were considered traitors.

Shaking the thoughts away, Atreyu remained standing as the alpha relaxed onto her haunches with all the grace and bearing of a queen. He had only met her a few times but it was quite obvious she was a powerful wolf despite her small frame. Perhaps unable to physically overpower someone β€” besides, would one even need to be able to with Ragnar by their side? β€” but a stare was really all she needed. Instinct pulled at him to completely roll onto his back and beg forgiveness but the boy stood stock still, not wanting to give up his dignity yet. "I..." he began but his voice betrayed him, rising sharply in pitch as it broke. Too late β€” dignity gone.

He frowned in frustration before starting again. "Yes, if you would have me."
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle watched as he lowered his hackles and visibly relaxed. Good she smiled glad he was finally easing up, the nervous energy had made her on edge. Thistle did not consider those who left traitors, but her husband he was a different ball game. It was probably in Atreyu's favor that Ragnar had stepped down for a small amount of time.

Thistle was not a harsh alpha by a long shot, and she was not as confident as she seemed. She had however learned quickly to put on a brave face and persevere when others came knocking at her borders. She had grown into her own while queen of the bay. It was a strange feeling, for one. Thistle fought to keep her smile from showing and her laughter from the small crack in the youth's mouth. It betrayed his age and his tension, but she won.

Well what skills can you offer us? And are you going to stay this time Atreyu?
267 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Another pang of guilt gripped his conscience at her questions. He was surprised she hadn't asked where he had been but also thankful. He wasn't even entirely sure why he had left in the first place. Stavanger Bay was the perfect place, he should have just ignored the homesickness that had gripped him the night he slipped away. He hadn't even found them after all that. The only thing he had to show for his absence were the nicks and scrapes on his paws. The boy took a moment to arrange his thoughts before he looked up to the familiar face, still unable to recollect her name. What was it?

"I've gotten good at hunting," he offered with a sincere grin. It was the truth, too, though by hunting he meant only the small game one scoped out if they were feeling peckish. Having travelled during the crucial months where pups were meant to be out learning how to hunt with a pack, Atreyu had missed out on the important lessons. But she didn't need to know that.

Giving a roll of his shoulder, the boy added, "I can fight, too." Another half-truth. While he had been almost full-grown when he had first been accepted into the Bay, he had shot up a tiny bit more β€” though still falling short of the average male's height. He had also developed a bit of muscle around his chest and shoulders, thanks to his wandering. Though with all his confidence and newfound strength, the boy would have no idea what to do in an actual fight. His fighting consisted of teasing already pissed off badgers and trying to coax ravens into swooping him.

With a solemn dip of his head, Atreyu, once again, pledged his allegiance to the Bay. "I promise."
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle would not lie, the curiosity was there. She really wanted to know where he had been. However, she also felt that though in one argument it was her business in another it was not. She wasn't sure if she even had a right to ask, and it could have been for any reason his absence.

So is that a trade you will be pursuing or just something you are better at? They always needed gamekeepers, especially with little ones in their folds, and hopefully more to come. I am sure you could use improvement as we all can. SHe grew quiet listening to the rest.

You can fight? Can you fight well or just enough? and I feel you may have to prove yourself all over again Atreyu. We trusted you and you left without a word.

What did you see in your travels? Learn any lessons? She was trying to find out where he could fit and by asking so many questions she was hoping it would help her get a clearer picture.
267 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Trades, he had forgotten about those. He vaguely remembered Ragnar telling him about them when he first had come to the Bay; he had expressed interest in the trades that dealt with hunting and scouting the lands. While Atreyu could not remember the titles, he gave a swift nod in response, adding a somewhat sarcastic tch at her mention of needing improvement with hunting. She hadn't seen his hunting yet! True, maybe he could use some practice with the big game β€” not to mention hunting with a pack, too β€” but voles, crabs and fish? Not even a challenge. Unfortunately, those things weren't enough to sustain a pack of wolves on. However, that hadn't even occurred to the boy yet.

He dipped his head in shame as she further spoke, feeling a little interrogated. While he knew he had to prove himself again, he was rather offended. Was his word not enough (despite the fact that he had already given them reason to doubt his trustworthiness)? Wise enough to not voice his thoughts, lest he jeopardise his acceptance into the pack, Atreyu flicked his working ear as he listened. Lessons? Well, he knew now that a roaming pack was near impossible to find. He'd never admit it aloud but he still missed his family, even though he now had a new, non-blood related one. Well, that was if the woman accepted him. Speaking of, where was her mate? Or were they both Alphas β€” or Jarls or whatever they were called?

Keeping quiet for now, the boy instead offered another nonchalant shrug. "I travelled along the coastline," he started, gesturing to the ocean that spread out beyond them. "And, uh, well I found a few caves. And cliffs. And a place not too far from here, it was a sort of beach with so many rock pools!" He added, his voice rising in excitement as he recalled the small cove the he had come across just before reaching the Bay. He wondered if he should travel back there, having been too tired and hungry to really scope out the place the first time he came across it. "You have to be careful there," he continued, not really stopping to wonder if the Alpha was all that interested in hearing about rock pools. "The rocks are really sharp but there's like, fish, in the pools. Fish. Not small fish, either. Big ones! And weird starfish things. And shiny pebbles. They could even have been gems!" Atreyu then forced himself to stop, glancing back up at the brown-furred leader with a slightly sheepish grin.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle raised a brow at him, but otherwise didn't say a word. Everyone could improve always, it was the way of things. She could always learn more, gain more, teach more about healing. Just as everyone could always learn a little bit more about hunting, and fishing and other such things.

Thistle saw him dip his head and she sighed softly, upset that she had hurt him somehow. She ghosted forward and touched the side of his face gently with her muzzle. A motherly touch she supposed it could be called. I am glad you are back Atreyu. I am merely trying to find the best place for you among us.

Thistle chuckled at his enthusiasm. Rock pools can be dangerous, but their pretty. I believe my son Gunnar loves them. Please welcome home Atreyu. I think we'll have to keep you a little lower in the ranks for now. I suggest earning a trade if any interest you, there are others amongst us that can help you earn them. I can help with healing, caretaker and warden, Ragnar can help with outrider and warden. We are always in need of gamekeepers perhaps you can be the first to hold the trade. She smiled at him kindly.
267 Posts
Ooc — Laur
As she brushed her slight muzzle against his face, Atreyu respectfully pinned back his ears and licked the underside of her maw in submission. He took the gesture as a sign that he was welcome to rejoin the pack. After all, if he wasn't, he was sure they would just chase him right back out of the territory. While he hadn't seen it himself, he knew trespassers and traitors alike were dealt with roughly in the Bay. Atreyu personally couldn't wait to deal with his first encounter with a trespasser. Woe be to anyone who dare step foot into their precious cove.

After his exuberant description of the rock pools, the Alpha laughed in response, gaining another grin and a wag of his tail from the boy. He took note of the name of her son, Gunnar, and sought to seek him out one day. He wasn't sure how old he was but perhaps he could convince him to come along and find the little cove again. What pup didn't like an adventure! Tail still waving, Atreyu attentively listened to her explain who could help with certain trades. While he was disappointed he would be put in the lower ranks (honestly, what else did he really expect?), he was determined to earn one of the trades to prove his worth. "Gamekeeper," he tested aloud, gaze rolling to the sky in thought before returning to the woman's dark blue eyes. "I like it!"

Dipping low in a bow, Atreyu then thanked the Bay's leader for her forgiveness β€” grateful, too, for her coming to meet him and not her much larger husband. "Thank you," he offered. "I'll try my best...Thβ€”...Sβ€”...uh..." he stumbled on his attempt at formality then, not quite remembering her name still.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle was pleased that the boy didn't seem so upset anymore. She hadn't like to see him so down hearted. Thistle was rigid in the way they dealt with trespassers, just as her husband was. They took captives or they killed them simply put. And she was thinking of allowing those that caught the trespassers to keep them as their own slaves, she would have to speak with Ragnar about that one.

Thistle nodded I am glad I think you will make a good gamekeeper. Gunnar is also working on that trade, perhaps you could work on it together. Ragnar to I believe. She wasn't sure if her husband had completely given up on the trade of counselor in lieu of the gamekeeper one, but she knew he wouldn't mind hunting with the youth.

She laughed again and wrinkled her nose in a teasing gesture, Thistle Cloud, but just call me Thistle. She didn't hold it against him, after all he had only met her once for maybe five minutes so it was perfectly acceptable that he didn't know her name.
267 Posts
Ooc — Laur
At her encouraging words, the boy felt a small spark of determination alight in his chest. Of course he would make a good gamekeeper, but to hear someone else say it pleased him to no end and made him all the more committed to achieving the trade. He gave a soft huff of laughter at the mention of her son again; perhaps he and Gunnar had some common traits and aspirations. It made him wonder who else was located still in the Bay, if he would remember any familiar faces. At that thought, Atreyu recalled the girl he had encountered last time when he sought acceptance into the pack, the haughty one with the gouged out eye. Would she still be here? He hoped not.

At her tease, he gave a shrug, silently thankful she didn't seem to mind that he had forgotten her name. "I knew that," he mumbled to the ground, though a sheepish smile still danced across his features.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle wagged her tail, Alright follow me we'll get you some food and a place to sleep. You can start gamekeeping tomorrow. She turned towards the center of the pack lands. She would help the youth find a place to den down. And some food and then let him to himself to get situated again.