my lungs will fill and then deflate
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
B)

Now, intellectually, he knew that this was silly.

Salt water would taste like salt, as the name would suggest. But the very idea contradicted everything he knew about either component. Water hydrated, salt dehydrated. Water flowed with the tides and the waning and waxing of the moon and salt as he had seen it before was solid as any other rock, though with a far more distinct taste.

Today, he had decided, was the day he would put all of his doubts about this "salt water" to rest.

Still awkward on the sand, he lumbered down the beach, across the sands. He waded into the waters, cold waves crashing against him as he hesitated one last time. Then, gathering his courage, dipped his tongue into the water and-

immediately recoiled, so strong was the taste. Sputtering, betrayed by his so-called worldly knowledge, he trudged out of the water bitterly.
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle was walking when she saw the southern gentleman in front of her. She did not increase her pace as she would come upon him soon enough. She had to fight to curb her smile at his ways. He was really going to taste the salt water. Goodness me, she snorted softly. She stood and watched and when he realized the awful taste. Her gentle laugh rang out across the land. She chuffed to him and sped forward to meet him half way. Laughter still evident on her face.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
hi!!!

Laughter rang out, and Aesop chuffed, the precursor to a bark, before turning around. He snorted, trying to push the little salt water that had sprayed into his nose out. "Thistle," he greeted, coming up the beach to meet her half way. While he was still a polite distance away, he shook violently, trying to rid his body of any trace of the ocean. Fucking traitor water. "Y'look well. You didn't, uh, didn't see much of that, did'ja?" Here he had the decency to look a bit embarrassed, just in case she did.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle was taken with further giggles at his snort. She tilted her head and continued forward a small smile playing about her lips. She had liked the southern gentleman immediately. He had been kind and she was pleased to give him a place amongst them. She didn't know how Ragnar felt about another male being higher than him, but well he was largely scarce lately. Certainly he was still there and his smell still prominent, but he was not as social as he had once been.

Thistle chuckled, but nodded. I did see that. Tastes yucky don't it. She threw her head back and laughed again. She wagged her tail good naturedly. It's okay if you don't grow up around the coast the curiosity is always there. Now you know not to try that again.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
Aesop pawed at his nose, as though trying to hide his face in his embarrassment. Clearly he's not too put out by being caught, otherwise he'd sulk more than mess around like he is. Still, he felt his face heat up a bit, and he smiled sheepishly at her. Aesop made sure that his posture was polite, submissive and appropriate between a wolf of his stature and hers, yet still friendly.

"Yeah, it does," Aesop said, wrinkling his nose in distaste, though he snorted a laugh as well, "learned my lesson, sure as hell. Had to see for myself, you dig?" Now he laughed, a full laugh, and gestured down the beach. "Got time for a bit of a walk?"
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
I'm sorry I've been so very sick

Thistle chuckled gently, his display of embarrassment made her chuckle. He was a nice wolf, she enjoyed his company. She did not hold it against him. Curiosity, was the reason, she knew so much about plant life. She had been curious, and now. Now she was an adept healer.

Thistle laughed again and nodded her head, I did She tilted her head and looked behind her. She could give some time to a pack mate, surely. Otherwise, what type of leader was she. Yes I have time for a walk.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
No worries! I hope you feel better <3

Aesop knew little of his Alpha, but he was still inclined to feel positively about her. After all, she had taken him in and given him a home, and for that alone he should have been grateful. And he was. However, he knew better than to take that for granted, as of now, she was his alpha and not his friend.

Still, he saw nothing wrong in taking strides towards getting to know her. He smiled amiably, then began to walk along the shore, taking care to keep alongside her. "So, Thistle Cloud, mind tellin' me a bit about yourself? How'd this whole operation," by which he meant the pack, "come about?"
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle did not draw lines in the sand. She could be both an alpha and a friend. She had proven it, numerous times with Surra and Julooke and others. It was hard sometimes, when she had to reprimand them, but thus far none of them had used their friendship. Hers and theirs to start anything, or act entitled, and for that she was grateful.

The other wolf was larger than her, which wasn't a surprise. However, he minced his stride, so that she could keep up. She was happy for this, and thankful. It was so hard to keep up with others that were so much bigger than her.

She frowned in contemplation, Well let's see. My name is Thistle Cloud Loðbrók, my full name. Most just call me Thistle. My parents are SpottedFawn and GhostTracker and I have 2 brothers Red and Shadow Dancer. I may have more siblings now I don't know. I left my parents when I wasn't quite past a year old and came this way. I first settled at Horizon Ridge, where I met Ragnar, he was actually a patient. One thing led to another and I became his wife. I have three children Gunnar, Mercury, and Gyda. The only one still in the woods is Gunnar. Mercury went to his father's home land, and Gyda...Gyda just disappeared. Her voice cracked on that, the grief still a little fresh about Gyda being gone. It hurt really.

Our leader was killed in a landslide and our friend Pump took over. Then she was however killed by a bear. And Ragnar after burying her, went in search of a new place. And he found this lovely bay, and we've been here since.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
Over the years, Aesop had learned to cut his stride so that now he did so effortlessly and, indeed, without thought. He often found himself peerless in size, all the more because he did not think himself a warrior.

Aesop listened to her attentively, humming his interest when appropriate. The information would prove useful, no doubt, as it was always good to know the history of wherever one had pledged his allegiance to. He tried to make sympathetic noises regarding her children, as the insecurity must be killing her, but he had never been good at offering comfort like this.

"Long story, then, huh?" He asked this kindly, as he truly was interested in her story. "I haven't really met your family, I guess. Ain't seen Ragnar or Gunnar, but I'm sure they're just as kind as you." Aesop let them walk in silence for a moment, then spoke up again. "So there are other packs in the area? Any nearby that are of any importance? Allies, enemies, the like."
1/5[Image: caretaker.gif]0/5[Image: naturalist.gif]
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle often found others to be three times her size. It was usual, and she did not let it bother her anymore. It had made her a little scared once upon a time, now though she knew that size didn't matter and she could take even the big ones down, with sheer determination.

Thistle was grateful for his noises of interest as well as comfort. However, she had learned she was much stronger than she seemed. Though she missed her children, it was not anything that she couldn't handle.

Thistle snorted at his comment of being as nice as she was, Gunnar perhaps, Ragnar no. They were so different it was rather scary.

Though I love my husband Aesop. It would do you well to not assume he is as kind as me, for he isn't. My husband is a viking, a savage and feral man. He is a good man in his own right, but he also is a no nonsense man. He has manners and the like, and he is not outright rude, but he has a firmer backbone than me. Forgives less than I do. She grew quiet, she hoped he didn't think badly of Ragnar.

It wasn't that Ragnar was not a good wolf, or a smart wolf, or a kind wolf. It was just he was ambitious, and serious and savage, and it was smart not to assume anything about him. You never knew what he was going to do.

She nodded her head There are many, but I don't know them. Gunnar and Ragnar would be the best to ask. I do know that we plan to have an alliance with Redhawk Caldera, we just have ot get a message answering their request.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
His ears flicked, betraying his interest. Truth be told, he'd been far more curious about Ragnar (and Gunnar, to a lesser extent) than he had expected himself to be. But thus far Ragnar had proven an enigma, a mystery, if only by virtue of being among the only packmates he had yet to meet. And truly there was no better source on the man, save he himself, than his mate. And from everything that he heard from her, were he a few years younger and a lot more reckless, Ragnar might just have been his type. It was always those strong (generally) silent types, and if they meant trouble, all the better. But Aesop was older, now. (Not to mention that the male in question was a complete stranger and also very taken by a women he very much respected.)

"I understand," he laughed, "no matter what he's like, I've probably met worse. Should I be takin' this as a warning, though? Have I been toeing a line or somethin'?" He snorted, keeping his tone light, though it would be nice to know if he was fucking up before he actually did it. Veiled threats, no matter how thinly they were, had never come easy to Aesop.

Aesop nodded at her explanation, humming pensively. Though he had decided not to give it much thought, his encounter with the coywolf was a bitter memory, and he wanted to at least know where she came from. He was not about to ask, though. Having gleaned little from Thistle's explanation, he quickly latched on to the next bit of information. "If you need a message delivered, I'd be pleased to have a chance to, y'know, do somethin' useful," he offered.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
There was no harm in curiosity, and Thistle knew many to be curious of her husband. Mostly because he was absent, and no longer in the lead. Yet he still acted like it, and she let him. Which truth be told wasn't very fair, but well frankly this was his pack. He formed it, he kept it together, so he deserved a little more leeway than most. Thistle would have merely shook her head, if the other told her of perhaps an attraction of her husband. It was no denying that he was a handsome man, she didn't doubt that even men could admire him.

Thistle chuckled and shook her head No you haven't. i am just letting you know. He is someone you do not want to mess with, or assume anything about. He will prove you wrong everytime.

Thistle frowned as she thought about it, I think Ragnar wanted to go himself, but I don't see why you couldn't go. Let me check with him first, and then give you the go or not? Is that okay?
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
At Thistle's confirmation that no, he was not in trouble, he allowed a relief-tinged smile to wind up his lips and break into a huff of a laugh. "Duly noted. I know the type," oh did he ever, "and I know my way around 'em. Though I gotta admit, I'm startin' to get curious about the guy."

Her decision was fair enough, and far be it from him to try to insert himself where he wasn't wanted. He imagined, though, that as sole leader, Thistle Cloud had many duties and little time. Anything he could do to help, he thought, would be appreciated. "Absolutely," he confirmed, with a resolute nod, "I just wanna be helpful where I can be." The idea of having something useful to do absolutely thrilled him, but he wouldn't be pushy. Never pushy, always casual.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle chuckled and dipped her muzzle. Many get curious about him. He is almost an enigma these days. She chuckled and shook her fur, happy to be enjoying the day. She wondered what he did, her husband when he wasn't present, but decided that as long as he came home at night, she wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thistle nodded I will ask him and let you know as soon as I know. You are a good addition, I am glad you have joined us Aesop. Tell me of yourself? I have told you of me.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
Aesop huffed a laugh, tipping his muzzle up to feel the warmth of the sun on his neck. This was all very pleasant, and he found that he quite liked Thistle's company.

Her words meant more to him than she could have possibly known, and when he smiled in response, it was genuine. "Now you're just flattering me," he deflected, but every inch of him made it clear that he was glad for the compliment. "There's not a whole lot to say. Spent my years wandering, goin' where the wind takes me. Nothing all too remarkable. No kids, myself."
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle had not found a wolf, other than Nerian that she couldn't get along with. Even in the end she and Nerian had been close friends. She had been jealous and there had been still dark thoughts, every now and again. But they had remained friends, until she had left them too. Thistle worried about her a bit, though to her dismay. She did not worry as much as she should have.

Thistle listened quietly and chuckled, the only time I traveled was to come here. And I have not traveled since. I have found I am a home body at heart, though if Ragnar were to leave. I'd follow. Did you like traveling? What made you decide to stop?
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
Aesop's simple presence was often offensive, by virtue of his personality and general ruggedness. There were also a good many wolves who were not so open-minded out there, ones who did not take kindly to Aesop's... preferences. Enough that he had learned to keep them hidden, a jealously guarded secret.

"Traveling was alright. Bit rough, sometimes, when you're on your own for months at a time, but you learn to make the best of what little company you have," he told her. "Yourself." He smiled wide, chuckling softly at his joke. "I stopped because it felt right, and I was tired. I like it here, so I guess I was right to do so."
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle would not have judged, she may have found it confusing, but she would have thought it through in time. After all, her husband had spoke of men and women in his culture that shared each other. All genders aside, she didn't think that Ragnar did that, but then again he had been okay with sharing himself. Though, she was a big no no and if any other wolf would have tried, he would have ripped their throat out.

Thistle nodded, she knew that very well. She remembered distinctly the lonely nights, and long days. The days when she dreaded the night, because it was time to be lonely. Then it would take her hours to sleep. I remember that well. She tilted her head and chuckled. I am glad you like it here. I like it here too.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
Wrap up soon?

Aesop nodded, smiling sadly.  In his days, it was not the night he dreaded, but the day.  The light the day shone on him and his problems was uncomfortable, serving only as a reminder of his misfortunes and shortcomings.  The night, however, brought with it a blanket of stars in which he wrapped himself.  When the seasons allowed, he traveled by night and slept by day.

He laughed and bumped her shoulder with his, gently, so as to not push her too much.  "You run a tight ship, Thistle Cloud," he said.  "I like that.  I'd like to stick around, this time."  His tail swished happily, trailing behind him as he walked.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Certainly :D new thread?

Thistle had grown up with brothers, and two very loving parents. At night they had all curled up together, no matter what. They had fought all day, oh well. Come night time, all differences were set aside. It was that she felt, she missed the most. And that which made the nights longer, and lonely.

Thistle grinned fiercely I'm a shield Maiden after all. Would not do well, to have an loose ship. You are welcome here for the rest of your life Aesop. She nudged him friendly, and kindly. It was good to have such loyalty, among her ranks. Wolves that liked it here and would make it a good home, for future generations.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
Way ahead of you!  I stole your AW B)  Short post to wrap up.

He smiled softly at her words, heart warmed by them.  They meant far more than he had expected them to and sparked in him a fierce devotion, a bone-deep loyalty driven by instincts as much as friendship.  Was he so easy to win over?  Apparently.

"Thanks, Thistle," he said awkwardly, hoping his appreciation was known.  They walked together for a time longer, strengthening their friendship as they talked about nothing in particular.  And when they parted to return to their duties (or lack thereof,) Aesop returned to his den feeling quite content.