Moonlight on water
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
ooc: @Burke - set somewhere in the flatlands, near the Totoka river.

Catching sight of a moose was not a common event in these parts of lands. At least Osprey hadn't seen any up until today. A large young moose bull with an impressive set of horns had crossed the territory that belonged to the plateau wolves and after feeding on the bark of the barren trees and digging up some moss and old grass underneath the snow, it had wandered off. What he didn't know was that he had a "tail" ever since.

Osprey followed the amazing creature, keeping a safe distance, yet close enough to have a good look at it. She was amazed by it's size and strength and even felt a bit intimidated by it. She had heard stories of, how these seemingly slow and dumb animals, could easily bring a predator like her to death. Unless wolves worked in team, there was no possible way that a lonely soul like her could do it any harm.

Therefore she stayed close to it, quietly observing it.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Thank you for starting!

Burke had been traveling more the last few days. His scent was now mixed with all types of regions he travelled. There was still the undertone of swamp in his fur but there was also a mix of the saltness of the sea. The large male was on his way back to his home until a certain scent sparked his interest. He squinted his blue eyes briefly and then pushed his nose closer to the trail.

He had scented this before... But where did he remember this from? His stump of a tail rose when he remembered. It was of the female in heat. Sadly nothing happened because of those damn dogs. His wound had been healing well enough. It wasn't that deep. Burke instantly followed the trail the female left behind. A quirk of a smile appeared on his lips, one of his charming ones. He let out a soft chuff to announce his presence.
[Image: 141skqx.png]
Guardian, Mentor and Therapist
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey's days of heat came and went, leaving her very tired and with a lot of gaps in her memory. The good thing out of this all, however, was that no one in the pack was avoiding her and that she felt fully in charge of her mind and emotions. Now and then she would give in a childish game and burst of giggles, when awkward mishaps happened. There were moments, when a sight of a pack member made her heart skip a beat and she felt a fading memory of a love and affection, what seemed like having happened in another life. Then it woud be gone in an instant and she wouldn't understand, why was it so.

Therefore, when she found out that "the tail" had "a tail" and stopped to see, who it was, the gray male's appearance didn't ring a bell to her. During their brief encounter she had neither time to remember his smell, nor the chance to see, what he really looked like. Therefore she regarded him with a curious gaze, yet with a stance (ears up and tail raised at the level of her body) that told him to keep a polite distance. The moose was momentarily forgotten.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
The large male watched the smaller greyscale female. His blue eyes curiously on her. His nose moved into the air to smell her scent. He was clearly sniffing her out. Her heat was over, that he established soon enough. Burke then licked his lips with his pink tongue. "I think never were never formally introduced," he spoke, being utterly polite. Somehow he managed to sound charming. His voice wasn't as rough. The male was curious about this female to say the least. Would she remember what happened or did she remember his forward introduction.

He couldn't help but smile a bit when he realized where his nose had been. More than that he did not remember himself. The fight took most of his memory of that day. Curiously enough. Those damn dogs that attacked him. Luckily his wound was closed up and it wasn't serving him too much trouble. The male looked calm and relaxed like he usually was. Her heat had spiked some dominance in him but now he just left that aside. His size along was more than enough of a presence he believed.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
I think never were never formally introduced. The male said, making Osprey lift her eyebrows and give him an inquiring glance. She furrowed her brows then, while her mind searched through the files of wolves she had met recently, trying to find a fit between the looks, voice and manner among them. Sadly - there was none. She could have always checked the wastepaper bin were all the foggy, forgotten and deleted documents lied, waiting to be restored, but she had no desire to do that. Too much work and effort.

"I think that we have never met either," she said in an even voice. There were confidence in her words, which meant that she was not going to let the other party argue about the truth she had decided to stick with. "Traveller?" she went on and asked the easiest and most obvious question. Why else a wolf be alone in the lands?
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
I am actually laughing right now. Care for a pregnancy scare? :P

So the small lady didn't remember what he had done? Perfect. The grey male curved the corners of his mouth more. This would be an interesting conversation. "Oh, do excuse me. I might be confusing you with someone else," he instantly returned. He had to think of who he confused her with but that would come later. His voice was still charming and very husky. He might even fancy this lady a bit. She had some spice when she was in heat. He briefly thought of messing with her. Telling her that they met while she was in heat and she might as well expect his pups. Now he thought of it. That would be fun.

"Usually I am not, but for now, I am," he returned. That sounded vague. He meant that he did not often travel but this week he was traveling. A soft pause came from him. "Actually... I think we have met. Your scent was different and we were both very hazy with hormones. Did you happen to be in heat recently?," he inquired, skillfully playing this so innocently. Nothing really happened between them but if the female didn't remember it would give a wonderful opportunity. "Because if you was... Then you might not stay the size you are now," he murmured. Burke was trying to argue with her about the truth. Because Burke wouldn't be Burke if he went against something.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Crap. Osprey's eyes narrowed and she scrutinized the male's face, searching for signs of bluff and lies. If he was playing a game, then he was good at it. If he knew that she had not been in her right mind recently, then they - in fact - had met. The bad thing, however, was that she couldn't remember for her life, where and when and under which circumstances.

Yet he seemed to be enjoying teasing her a bit too much and this gave her a notion that they might have met, but all was not the way he was telling her. Regardless - two could play this game. Now it was her turn to choose between scenarious: 1. Insult his manliness by telling that his performance then must have been very poor, since she could not remember him. 2. Tell him that she had met many men and any of them could be a father to puppies. 3. Play along.

She smiled inwardly and then said: "Well... if it was as you say and if that happens, I will have no other choice but to marry you."
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Burke slowly tipped his head a bit at the female's response. Unfortunately it wasn't the one he was expecting. But other than that, she didn't seem to remember what truly happened. The large male still looked amused though. "Oh really? You like to marry me now?," he returned to her. If the female would know what he was capable off she would run for the hills. She wasn't really into him at the time of her heat, which was saying more than enough. Burke decided to play along too. "And even though they might not even be mine, I would care for them. Because you know, that is who I am. I wouldn't want you to be exiled for getting pregnant of a stranger," he drawled. Oh how such a good actor he was.

Burke stepped forward and licked the tip of her nose. "Let's marry then. I'm Burke," he introduced on one of his sweetest tones. His eyes actually did turn softer. Even a brute like him wouldn't mind a female that would stick with him. Maybe give him a few sons. The large male watched her. That is what these true romantics wanted right? A male that would say and do such things even though they were strangers.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Playing the noble guy, how sweet... Osprey though sarcastically, while she listened to the big guy boast, how he would take care of her and of the pups that were going to be born. That he wouldn't even mind, if they weren't his own and so on, and so on. If she had been as naive as she pretended to be, then she would pounce at him and get the deal sealed right there and then. But her instinct told that this sounded too good to be true. Men weren't like that - they took pride in continuing their bloodline and they had little to no tolerance to those, who didn't belong to it.

"You are such a sweet and honourable man, Burke," she said in an innocent voice and her expression reflected true gratitude. For a moment he could believe that was true. "But you see... before we get married, I have to know, what is your opinion about polygamy," she asked him with true concern in her eyes. Somewhere in the back of her mind she thanked Peregrine for all his experience in relationships with both sexes.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Burke had a bit of the feeling they were both playing each other. Although he wasn't entirely sure. The female was rather.. convincing. He realized also that the female didn't gave her name. How smart. He should have used a different name. Maybe his second one. Oh well. Not that it matter that much. Burke almost wanted to roll his eyes at her first comment. But for once, he had to stay in his role.

"I only need one. My true love," he spoke passionately. He didn't know he could feel sick by his own words. He wondered how long his act would be able to hold up. He was not that good of an actor he always thought he was. Burke was also a bit of a hypocrite. He found that he could have several females to himself, but those females weren't allowed to have another man.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Oh, Romeo... my dearest, my darling... A little voice crooned in Osprey's head, while the one saying it was rolling around laughing. Her expression, however, was perfectly collected. She watched him declaring a true love for her - maybe people, who told that it could happen at first sight, were right. Burke managed to sound so passionate that she let her eyes grow soft and she tilted her head slightly to the side and looked as if she was moved by his words.

"That's so sweet, Burke. No other man has said anything like this to me before," she told him being honest for the first time, since this game had begun. "But... there is a problem," she looked down at her paws, sounding very sad now. "You see I have two mates already - a wife and a husband. We are open about relationships, but, when it comes to marrying someone. For real - like you..." she looked at him, bit her lip and almost shed a tear. "We have to share. And in a more way than one. If you understand, what I mean."
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
The large brute of a male barked out in laughter. Okay he couldn't do this. He could not be sweet and compassionate. The male kept on laughing for a few moments before he turned to his cold and calm nature. "I do hope that you know that none of what I said was real," he pointed out. Still a bit amused by what happened. His stump of a tail held high once more and arrogance filling him. He held his head high.

He let her to wonder if actually something did happen between them. The female left while they were fighting. If she wasn't attracted to him while being in heat then it was just a losing game. Not that Burke was offended. He found himself very noble for not pursuing her anyhow.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Burke cracked and couldn't keep up with the game. He laughed, but Osprey watched him in a calm and serious manner. The fact that unwanted pregnancy was a very real possibility kept her in line. Somewhere deep she wondered, whether she really had hooked up with this brute, because he had recognized her one way or another. Of course, this whole situation could be a bad row of coincidences and he was mistaking her for another wolf.

"This is a "no" then," she looked unimpressed by his laughter and joke. She decided to keep it as realistic as possible. "I had to realize that you are just as judgmental, old-fashioned and close-minded..." Osprey turned her muzzle away and began to sob (she had no idea, where this much of inspiration for a theatrical performance came from, but it was exciting in a way). "...bastard as everyone else here seems to be! You just can't accept an alternative way of living!" she spat angrily and got to her feet, shot Burke an acidic glance.

"But you will be able to see your kids on the weekends," she calmed down and looked at him with tears brimming in her eyes.

ooc: I haven't had so much fun in writing. I keep chuckling at how Osprey and Burke react to each other. :D
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Me too! I am crackling up at every response!

The masked male kept his blue eyes on her, keeping this smile upon his face while she stayed serious. He still wasn't sure if she was acting or not, otherwise Burke had to give her credit, especially with her tears now. "Oh stop complimenting me, darling," he murmured in response, giving no regard to any of her tears. He was thinking of how he could make it even worse. He reminded himself he probably did have a bunch of that were his own.

"I admire your trust in me, why makes you think I won't kill the bastard pups at first sight?," he murmured. "I lied after all. I don't accept other males' pups." He looked with that wicked smirk into her green eyes, brimmed with tears. "No wait. I would make you deliver them, make sure you are very attached to them and then, then I will kill them. That would make a good lesson for you staying towards other males, don't you think Darling?"
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Crying was easy, once you learned, how to do it. There had been tears already and now with every Burke's cruel word Osprey broke down even more, until she was wailing out loud. Hormonal disbalances sometimes could come to your aid. She kept fuelling the streams of tears and bouts of sobs, remembering every single sad thing in her life. They came in rows and she cried and cried, until it was hard to tell apart, whether she was miserable for real or had got carried away in pretending. Maybe both.

Anyhow these kinds of emotional bursts can't last for very long and eventually she also calmed down. Her nose was running and she was still hiccuping, when she lifted a paw to rub her muzzle. "Mom was right then..." she said with a heavy sigh. "Men are made to break your heart... You are a cruel, cruel man, Burke," she said in a naive tone. "But I understand you in a way - what life it is, if you miss half of a tail. That must be an awful burden to live with. No one likes you and then you have to take advantage of married women. I feel so sorry for you," she engaged in the game again.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Yeah who loves a bunnybutt of a male anyways? :P

Burke noticed her crying was only getting worse. This was something he intended. Now her insults would hopefully roll out. Burke was all very curious towards female behavior. It was always so.. unpredictable. The large male studied her reaction. Her sobbing grew worse and worse to then have her calm down. He readied himself for her. "Mothers are always right," he returned calmly.

If Burke was really honest he actually liked his docked tail. It gave him something different from all the other males. Along with his battle scars that littered his body. "I bit off my tail myself," he explained and was back to grinning. He remembered the day well when his tail got stuck and he had to bite through it if he ever wanted to be freed. It was his own therapy of strength. He was the strongest. Survival of the fittest. "I don't believe you have a mate, or several even. Males would run away with all of your over-emotional behavior. Even the nice guys. Just being honest with you, babe. You will never get a mate if you don't get that crying under control."
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Mothers are always right. Burke was right about this one. They were - except the kids rather than obeying, wanted to try out in practice - make mistakes only to arrive to the same conclusion. MO hadn't been of romantic sort and hadn't sugarcoated the nature of relationship between the two sexes. Yet she had never told her about "them breaking hearts" - this was something she had come up with inspired by the moment.

The news that he had bit his own tail off were a bit surprising and made Osprey glance up at him and eye curiously. Then Burke made a mistake, he probably hadn't intended to make. Run away - two words only were needed for her memory to recover a scene that had taken place during one of the nights she had spent out in the wilds. There had been three males fighting and her fleeing the scene. She also remembered the dislike for the biggest one of them.

She took off the mask of pretence and revealed her true face - a sly smile appeared in her lips and her eyes were glinting in a held-back laughter. "So, Casanova," she said with a tinge of victory in her voice. "Now, I recall you... Did those dogs whoop your ass? Never stayed long enough to see the outcome. Though it would have been exciting," she asked him in cheeky manner, her tone indicating that she so wished that he had got a good kick.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Burke watched the grey's expression change. Okay, she was or dangerously good at acting or she was just remembering what happened that day. They seemed both themselves now which he somehow liked. No more pretending. His gut feeling had been right. The large male slowly smirked. "Oh yes they totally did," he returned. "I mean I am such a breakable pup you know. Plus they didn't had their balls anymore. They weren't as affected by your ripe scent as I was," he spoke. Burke once more just played with her. Normally he would say he won but somehow he felt that had no effect on the female.

The masked male stretched himself, the wound on his scruff was almost healed. That was all that mattered. He couldn't care less of what the female was thinking of him. Why should he even bother changing it?
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
"I am glad they did," Osprey said satisfaction of the news evident in her features and voice. "I mean, man, you were rude," she continued, remembering his very straightforward approach with no regards for the other person's private space. Even if it was the season, when many things that usually weren't allowed and accepted, were. She had disliked him a great deal then and forgotten about him. Now - even though he was not included in the list of her possible future husbands, he at least didn't mind her making fun of him. It appeared that he was unaffected by her nastiness just the same way his attempts at romance didn't interest her at all.

"Going for the deal and have it done... Where's the romance, flowers, sweet words and nonesense, long courtship?" she listed, sideglancing at him to see his reaction. None of this was meant seriously, she was having good time teasing someone. "Or are you so irresistable that ladies swoon before you?"
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Burke ignored he comment because the next topic was far more interesting. Maybe his old Alaskan home was different form finding a mate here. Sometimes a willing female would elope with him form another pack. It happened when he was a mere two year old and starting a pack with his brother. Several females joined them without really knowing the two brothers. With mating all the same, if one was in heat Burke was not going to be all romantic towards that said female.

"Interesting topic. Yes, actually. Like I said before I just acted on instinct. I don't know about the other males but when I smell that, my mind will only focus on breeding. You seem to be confusing two things. While you are in heat I do not see a partnership in it. I see week of constant pleasure and possibility on creating a new generation. Maybe for females it is different. Surely, some males do stick with the female after their heat but that is not what I do." Burke looked at her. Now wondering about the female's perspective. "And to come back to your question. I do have ladies who offer me their.. services. They don't swoon for it, they want it. We just use each other for coupling," the male shrugged.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey had acted on instinct too - she had been more welcoming to men and shown more interest, she had approached them, shown affection and felt very much in love. Yet she - even in the haziest and most confusing moments - she had not gone to men and stated openly to eff her there and now. No - she had been playful, she had been eager to get to know the other person by "exploring" their body and scent, she had exchanged sweet kisses and tender touches. It wasn't like she didn't care with whom she mated, the person mattered, even more - whether she liked him or not.

"Yeah... a lot, what you say is true," she agreed. "Yet for some heat is a few days of fun once a year. I believe that some special treatment beforehand is well-deserved, even if you don't stick around later," Osprey shrugged. She knew that there were wolves, who mated all year around, yet there was no such desire in her. When the season was over, the appeal for the process was lost. "But, what do you care - you can have fun all year round," she said. Men...

"So - I was right," she returned to the subject. "You are Prince Charming." Saving needy girls from the clutches of beasts called lust and desire. "How many girls have you saved already?"
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Burke watched her in curiosity. "Well, you can have fun like that even when you are not in heat," he returned with a shrug. Look at Tanith. She hadn't been in heat but she had coupled with Burke several times already. They probably weren't going to stop it either. Burke had to admit that he liked to just go to her for sex and not have to do all the romantic stuff before hand. "But that confirms that you don't have a mate who satisfies you. Do you crave for a mate or are you fine with being single?" Burke sounded genuinely curious now. He wouldn't mind to get some knowledge of the female brain.

Slowly one of those wicked grins came upon his maw. "Countless." Burke actually did lose count of how many he had. Especially in his time when he rules with his brother. He did not only couple with all the females in their pack Burke was also known to sniff out lone wolves and couple with them. Who knows, maybe Burke fathered a whole army by now. Burke wasn't much of a family man. Females would care for the pups. He would just father them.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Some females could have fun outside the heat, some were like Osprey, who felt neither wish, nor need to have it. In comparison to her brother - she had a more traditional view of coupling and the purpose of it. Pleasure was a nice benefit, but children were the main goal. Why were there so many people, who considered that this kind of physical interaction outside of the seaon was a neccesity or a sign of ultimate love, she couldn't tell. It occurred that maybe their lives weren't that exciting and this probably was the only way the got the "kicks".

"Or this proves that my life is interesting and fulfilled as it is," she countered Burke's argument with no desire to delve deeper in this subject or argue. It was clear that they lived on two different plantes already. "Oh, the lucky vixens," Osprey said with a crooked grin. "And besides having sex all the time - do you have any other interests in life too?" Because now it seemed that all Burke did and his only purpose in life was purely to keep the demographic situation up.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
One of the lighter dots on Burke's brow raised at the female's spoken words. She sounded like a virgin. If only she knew what she was missing out on. "Perhaps," Burke returned with a light shrug. He didn't mind a bit of coupling to relax. Burke actually had to laugh at her comment. It did sounded like he was always having sex but usually he was not. He was an ambitious wolf. He worked hard for his pack.

"I do not always have sex. I do have other interests. Ones that definitely not interest you. I mostly work around the clock for my pack, making strangers go off our lands. I can't grasp the fact that a stranger would approach a dark forest which is also heavily scented by all off us. Guess those wolves are stupid," Burke commented. He had also shown interest in the dark brotherhood but he wasn't telling a stranger that.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Burke didn't seem convinced by Osprey's words, but, whatever went on in the man's head didn't matter to her. They were different and there was no reason to argue, who was better and who worse. Both were right and wrong about certain aspects in life. Yet she was glad that in all her seasonal madness she had not been saved by this hero. The idea that you were one of hundreds he had pleased (according to him) and left afterwards was not very nice one. It sort of made you look as an object.

When he told that he had other interests in life, Osprey face changed a little - You don't say... she thought - and a grin tugged at the corners of her mouth. "That's a good and valuable job," it really was, yet the way she said didn't sound as a compliment. "Yet how can you defend your pack by being far away from it?" Blacktail deer plateau was the only pack in the near vicinity, therefore she had deduced that he must be from another one that wasn't located anywhere near.