Phantom Hollow Heart sick an' eyes filled up with blue
31 Posts
Ooc — Van
Set in Phantom Hollow

His dreams were wild and unpleasant. Ghosts chased Boone from the spot that he lay, and his dead-sleep body twitched and flinched fanatically until the nightmarish images of his subconscious woke him up entirely. Startled into wakefulness, the pale dog peered into the darkness for a long time, reminiscing on the reality he had seen: his past and the fighting he had been forced to do in order to survive. His throat, all pink and gnarled beneath a thin sheath of fur, throbbed vaguely at the memory.

Deciding that he was going to get no more sleep in this hollow place tonight, Boone picked himself up wearily and began padding off into the darkened forest.

The sky was too heavily laden with clouds for him to see the position of the moon, but he imagined it was some time after midnight, or just before. The sounds of the night quieted as the predator walked through, though he had no intention to hunt or anything like physical activity. It bothered him, that two years after leaving Red View he could still have nightmares about it. The horrors weren't over, and he was beginning to think he would never escape them.
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
The blue-nosed wolf breathed in deep the crisp night air with an audible ahhhh. Lukas could find something to appreciate in most anything, and tonight the cool moist air was refreshing and delicately scented with the pleasing scent of the dark forest, and the white wolf was all too eager to take it all in. But even stronger than his fondness to check out new areas was his draw to other wolves. Lukas was a very social creature, and so when the faint breeze brought with it a whiff of another evening wanderer, he did an abrupt turn to chase it down.

His lissome legs carried him at a brisk lope through the woods, his athletic frame weaving around the trees with the grace of a cat. Lukas spotted the wolf and without hesitation (nor a second thought about the other male's doggish appearance) strolled up with a jovial "Hey!". He lifted a foreleg and reached out for a 'paw bump', should the other be familiar with the gesture and feel like returning it. "Nice night for a walk, eh?"
31 Posts
Ooc — Van
Boone stiffed at the approach of the other wolf. His tail went ramrod-straight and the fur along his spine began to prickle—but the snowy male was only bouncing, non-threatening, and excited. The muscles in his square body loosened quickly, and he nodded stiffly towards the blue-nosed wolf, who offered his paw in greeting. It was a strange custom, Boone thought, but he got the motion behind it and lifted his paw awkwardly as well, not quite using it to "bump" as he was supposed to.

"Howdy, young buck," he said, quirking his brow as he put his foot back on the ground. Boone wondered at him, thinking perhaps that this male had no judgmental attitude because he himself was an oddity—if not by appearance, then by attitude—but this was the type of company he liked to keep.

Even if he was a bit more lax in his mannerisms. Slowly Booner tipped his head at the charming, slim fella, and he pressed his faintly scarred face and pinkish ears forward interestedly. "Sure's a mighty fine night, I'd say." He hadn't forgotten his nightmares, but the dog was polite if nothing else. "That all you up to? Jus' walkin'?" he asked, not unkindly.
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
For some, having a gesture not returned (or at least not returned the way it was intended) might be awkward, but for Lukas, who had virtually no concept of awkwardness, it meant nothing and was not given even a second's thought. As the doggish male reached out, Lukas took the lead and bumped his paw against the other then put his paw back on the ground - and that was that.

"Only for now!" the white wolf quipped, his tail wagging amiably. "Until I find something better to do!" he chuckled heartily. Lukas was a thrill-seeker and adventurer, he was always on the look out for a good time, sometimes to the point of being reckless and irresponsible. "What about you? Just a-wanderin'? Or do you live around here?" He had no problem firing off the questions, and could sometimes be quite a chatter box. "Name's Lukas by the way, or Luke. Whatever suits ya!"
31 Posts
Ooc — Van
The male had an aggressively kind way of speaking. He was loud, especially in the quiet of night, and Boone found himself pulling his ears back slightly; though he smiled and didn't complain, like the gentleman he was. Besides, it wasn't like the guy was hurting anyone. He just seemed excited—and lively, if nothing else. "I'm just wanderin' m'self," he answered in a tone several volumes lower than his counterparts.

"Well met, Luke. I'm Boone," he dipped his head slightly, though found himself fascinated with how quickly the male revolved in conversation. Boone had a generally slow way of speaking himself; by comparison he damn near sounded retarded. "You don't smell much like others... You a lone ranger like me?" The wolf dog smiled with a kindness that didn't fully reach the golds of his deep, sad eyes.
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
"It's dandy to meet you, Boone," the blue-nosed wolf spoke genuinely and mirrored the other male's head-dipping gesture. His first response for the subsequent question was a brief shake of his head. "Not usually," he replied. "I'm looking for a spot to settle down. Aren't you? You're not just wandering around by yourself for the fun of it, are ya?" as a social creature, Lukas was far more suited to pack life than to that of a 'lone ranger', but he was an adaptable sort too and made the best of any situation he found himself. He could care for himself certainly, and found his own ways to entertain himself, but his heart was with others, which is partly the reason he greeted Boone with so much enthusiasm - it had been a while since he last spoke with another.
31 Posts
Ooc — Van
"I don't do it for no type of fun, but I think I been wanderin' so long it's just a habit now." The broad-shoulder wolfdog shrugged, separately gold eyes taking in the tall, slim male appreciatively. "I think I might be lookin' to settle down though. I met a pretty filly from a place called Bearclaw Valley. I ain't one to makin' rash decisions but I kinda liked the area, so it's on my mind."

He motioned with his muzzle for Luke to join him as they continued walking, and he found that he quite liked the jaunty blue-nosed wolf at his side. "Y'found any packs 'round here to your likin' yet?"
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
I like Boone, cool character :D

Lukas nodded his head thoughtfully, understanding what the dog-like wolf meant by his wandering having become almost a habit. He had met many traveling souls who had grown into that lifestyle, some even preferred it to pack life and could not imagine themselves settling down anywhere. "Sounds like a nice place, go for it!" Luke encouraged. Unlike Boone, he hardly thought too long on anything. He was impulsive by nature and tended to roll with whatever life sent him. Had he met this 'pretty filly' and had she extended an offer to join her pack, he very likely would have right then and there. He had no attachments, he was a completely free spirit, so what did he have to lose? If it did not suit him he would carry on looking for his next 'adventure'.

"You're the first wolf I've met here," the Bluenose shared. "but I reckon I'll find my place. Heck, maybe I'll start my own pack. I have no idea. I just go where the river carries me."
31 Posts
Ooc — Van
Thank you! I've been living in the south for so long I figured it was about time to play a southern wolf lmao! Luke is a ball of fun <3

Boone only smiled Luke's encouragement. While he tended to roll with the dust and get caught up on rocks and grass, his companion seemed the type to blow with the wind—high up and enjoying the view above everyone's head. It was the kind of spirit her envied and was attracted to. He found himself wondering when the wind would pick up again, taking Luke with it.

It was something about the male's energy that livened Boone and made him forget being down in the dumps just a half hour ago. His trot had likened to the wolf's beside him, and they were both moving at a happily careless pace. "You gotta bright head on your shoulders there, partner. I always had a grand plan in the back of my head to run a spot all mine. Y'know... welcomin' in all those oddballs and cowboys like m'self."

He wondered why he hadn't done it, in all the time since he had left Red View, but he supposed he had been too depressive and unstable to be any sort of good leader. Besides that, he had always seemed pretty content to be a follower wherever he fit in. He thought about Scarlett's advice, but didn't bring it up as he was inclined to. "I gotta make a name for myself 'round here first though. Let all these big bad wolves know that I might look some like a dog, but I ain't no mud-blooded pushover."
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
Oh right on! I love cowboys and the southern way of things. I needed a light-hearted character is why I made Luke. It's always so awkward trying to establish new characters though, trying to feel them out to match what you had in mind. Or it is for me at least haha!

Luke grinned as Boone complimented the head on his shoulders. "I learned a long time ago that life is more fun and you see a lot more if you keep your head up," he shared with a sage nod. Luke had seen hardship and endured the chaos of anger and sadness, knew the dark cloud that never cleared above your head when you looked at life through a lens of pessimism; and now he knew better. His mannerisms were a bit odd, a bit too light for some, but in the past couple years they had served him well.

He listened attentively his companion spoke of 'big bad wolves' and how he was not a 'mud-blooded pushover' despite his doggish looks. Luke was not the judgemental type, and although he looked like a wolf his blue points were enough to garner negative attention from some, but he let it slide off his back. Why? "Are they really worth it? Luke tilted his head to the side, his gentle silver gaze on the other male's face. "Let them think what they want, I say. I got better things to do." He swished his tail in a flourish to emphasize his point, casting Boone a wink.
31 Posts
Ooc — Van
Lmao, no I know exactly what you mean. It's weird because you're like... "I designed you, now do as I say!" and your character's all... "F*** you, I'll do what I want!" and you can do nothing but watch xD

Boone supposed he had been laying too much stock in other's opinions of him, but it was a difficult habit to shake when the first half of one's life had been spent under constant ridicule and torment. He was better at it these days, not nearly as expectant of the worse as he used to be, but the nightmares still came and the uneasiness was still buried in his bones. He couldn't expect anyone to understand -- they usually didn't bear the same half-buried scars he did. Physical or mental.

"Better things, huh?" he mused, smirking to himself as he trotted at his companion's side. It were mostly females that had ever shown Boone a bit of kindness, so he was a little surprised at this rapid comradeship formed between them. "Now what could possibly be more fancy than one-uppin' all the suckers 'round here?" he laughed.
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
They got a mind of their own, they do! My first character, Jaws, didn't fit my first design of him, and isn't fitting my second design of him that closely either. He is his own creature. LOL

"What's better than wastin' time on a bunch of ass lickers?" Luke's face cracked with a devious grin. The blue-nosed wolf was all about a good time, and he had a message to share with his companion. He stepped ahead and turned so that he was strutting backwards, his head rigorously tossing from side to side as he hummed a tune, before breaking in a loud song. "Lemme hear ya say, yeah yeah yeah!" His voice was sonorous as he poured his heart out. If there was one thing Luke loved it was singing, and he was good at it.

"When it comes to livin' life: if it ain't broke - we gonna break it, if it ain't took - we gonna take it, if it ain't drunk - we gonna drink it, we're hellbent on a hell raisin' good time!" Luke's figure rocked with the beat of his song, his body as animated as his spirit, paws scuffing and tail shaking. "Don't worry 'boout what we did yesterday, don't care what tomorrow's gonna bring. Right here, right now's where were gonna stay, so come on if you're with me lemme hear ya say... Hell yeah 'till the day I diiiiieeee!" As Luke's song came to it's finish he threw his head back and trailed it off with a drawling howl, punctuated with a rowdy "woo!" as he stamped his foot down.

It did not matter that it was night - he'd wake the whole forest up and invite everyone to join in and carry one whether they did or did not. Living in the moment - that was better than trying to get ahead of a bunch of folks that were worth less than the shit you left on the ground earlier. Being happy when they wanted to see you crash.
31 Posts
Ooc — Van
It is a constant battle, for sure. Don't you just love planning things one way and then watching as they spiral outta control lol?

Boone watched Luke humorously, but was genuinely shocked to watch the male break out into song. His siblings had been happy like this, down south, with their wolfish appearances. This reminded him of watching them, and he felt happy to know the boisterous male who took him back to the few peaceful moments he had spent with his family. The male danced, thin and athletic and fine-boned in a way that Boone admired with mild envy. He wished mostly that he didn't look like a damn dog.

"Woo!" he punctuated a beat after the male, wagging his tail back and forth at motor-like speeds. His bi-gold eyes were wide and energetic, and he found himself more amused now than he had been most his life. The last time he had probably felt this giddy was the day he'd took his first steps out of Red View. Or the day he'd met Miss Darling Petrova. "You sure got some damn good moves there, Luke. Don't mind hearin' you howl a tune neither," he grinned graciously, glad for once that he wasn't alone tonight.

Usually he preferred to suffer alone and in silence -- it had always seemed the safest way to do so. But Luke was not this way. This was a guy who knew the pointlessness of suffering; and it was making Boone happy just being in such a pure vibe.
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
sure do lol.

Luke was positively delighted that his song and dance was well received, and even more so that his wandering companion gave a little woo of his own, and it showed in the vigorous wag of Luke's tail. Boone complimented his moves and the blue-nosed wolf raised a paw to his chest as he spoke. "Why thank you!" He then stepped back in line so that the pair could continue along at their previous pace. "I find it does a soul good to sing and dance from time and time, you know?" Whether Boone knew it from before it did seem that he knew it now: the doggish male's mood was bolstered by Luke's performance. Watching and listening was one thing - it was even harder to stay down when you got to shakin' it and singin' it. Song and dance were one of the earlier methods the Bluenose adopted to cope with the challenges life had thrown at him at an earlier time.
31 Posts
Ooc — Van
"I wouldn't know actually," he said, though his tone lacked the distinctive air of solemnity that usually came with such a phrase. "The only wolf I ever heard sing was my mama, an' she only did it to wrangle me and my siblin's up for bed." He smiled fondly at the memory, or perhaps he was just smiling at Luke. "I can tell now though -- if you been a-singin' like that all your life, I can see now how it did your soul. Plenty good, if I don't say so m'self." It had been a while since Boone had felt so at ease with another wolf. Even though he had enjoyed Scarlett's company, it wasn't like this.

"Where you come from, Luke? Do all the wolves there sing like you?" he asked conversationally.
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
"Never too late to start," Luke encouraged his companion, giving his brows a waggle. He did not really expect his friend to start belting out a tune like he had, but perhaps the seed of suggestion would be planted, to later sprout in the hybrid's mind. "If you heard my mother tell it, she'd say I was singing before I was talking." Luke chuckled. Even from birth he had a penchant for song and dance, but it never blossomed in full until he was older and called upon its almost magical ability to heighten his mood and keep his head up.

"I was born far up north," he shared, "but not so far that the ice never melts...." Luke's words trailed off into a yawn. "Whoops," he grinned. "I guess time finally caught up with me. I think I'll go catch some shuteye. See you 'round!" With a wave of his tail, Luke departed the ranging cowboy and sought a warm sheltered place to sleep the rest of the night.