The Heartwood Casual Greetings
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
@Caspian :D bad sorry!

Sebastian needed a break from his pack. The male wolf had been alone for such a long time it was quite difficult to get back into it. He loved it, but some day one just wanted to roam a different place than the lands you lived on. He didn't mind meeting other wolves, he liked it even. The tank of a male trotted over to a different kind of forest that he was used to. For a moment he was tempted to go to Black Feather to confront his father but he decided against it. It was not something that he could do without planning. His father was a cruel man.

Sebastian sniffled the ground as he casually explored the forest he discovered. He rather liked it here. Just walking around an exploring the neutral territory. He definitely smelled some game. Maybe he would hunt, and then eat it all by himself. Now he wouldn't have to give it up to the alpha's young. He was starting to get more annoyed by it.
3 Posts
Ooc —
He had met quite a few wolves in this place which he had come to know of as Teekon Wilds, they mostly spoke the common tongue but there were a few exceptions, though it was rather sad for the viking to have met none who spoke his tongue. Then, what kind of viking warrior would travel to such soft and green lands? For plundering, perhaps, but it wasn't worth the journey that took months even if these wilds were ripe for raiding. No, they would probably raid the lands near home instead. Caspian was a man of both north and southern blood, exploring blood and so, he was technically qualified to leave his home and explore.

The Scandinavian found himself at the edge of a forest's treeline, he could go the other way but there might be others of his kind here, though truthfully he had no idea why wolves would like to live in forests, simply flabbergasting to him. But Caspian strode in anyways, inhaling the scent of the forest and prey, he rather liked exploring but knew he had to settle down soon, wolves were social beings after all.

It wasn't long before he spotted a large greyscale figure, with a grin and a twinkle in his glacier-like eyes, he padded towards the stranger, though remaining a respectable distance away. Some wolves were touchy after all. "Hey, whatsup man?" If the pack wolf was the aggressive type, the trickster would have no problem defending himself, he was a viking.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian's nose stayed close to the ground. He nosed over every interesting object. Maybe some good prey was living here. His tail was up but in a casual manner. The tank of a male moved slowly, with great size came a slower body. Not that Sebastian was even focussed on speed at the moment. His head snapped up when he heard the greeting. The large male turned and let his pale eyes fell on the other. A male, pale in color. Interesting. He wouldn't mind to have a nice conversation with someone. It would take his mind of things. 

"Greetings," he returned and then wagged his tail ever so slightly. He stepped a bit closer but still kept himself at a polite distance. "Are you also looking for prey? Or are you just exploring like me?," Sebastian questioned curiously. When he himself was a lone wolf he was always looking for his father and his pack. Now he found it, he had calmed down much more, it also made his life so much more purposeless. He might needed to invest more in his pack and build a life. His pale eyes glanced over the white male, he seemed a loner.
309 Posts
Ooc — Soap
This thread looked lonely! Let's jazz it up, shall we?

South. There were supposed to be more green things and life to the south. Well wasn't that the truth. She'd hiked for what felt like centuries and climbed more slopes than she cared to admit. Of course, she'd also gone right back down those slopes and ventured into another valley of sorts were the terrain was far more friendlier for her cause. Herb hunting. At least in these parts the forests seemed like they wanted to be here. No lopsided trees or lack of trees to prevent her from finding want she wanted. Perfect.

She skirted the scents of a few pack borders and crossed a stream only to find herself within the heart of a thick wood. In the distance, a white wolf wandered and Citali kept her distance, passing the creature by as he wandered off on his own. She pressed onwards and eventually found herself in the presence of a burly male. My. Wasn't this area quite the hot spot? Seemed her solitary journey would be gaining a few passengers. 

"You see any goldenrod around here?" she asked, cutting to the chase of her personal mission as opposed to going through the tedious ritual of formalities. "Seems like I might could find it around here..." She pondered out loud now, thinking to herself as she scented the air.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
YES! Thank you! And lets make this a healer thread because I need a teacher for Seb haha. and make it to present day. 

Sebastian was a bit disgruntled when the other male just left without answering him. The large grey male frowned, a bit offended. What had he ever done to this male to not even get a normal reply. The immensely sized male then realized it might be his size that caught the male off guard. It did happen at times. The male then blinked when there was another wolf instantly approaching him. He stopped a bit back for a moment to gather himself but then tipped his head at her question. 

"Goldenrod? I am not sure what it looks like. But it is used for healing right? I am trying to be a healer but---" But, well it was simple. The girl he had a crush on and he was learning the types of herbs from was dead. She ceased to exist. And given the fact that she poisoned herself didn't make her a good healer... right? Sebastian scolded himself for thinking like that. A soft sigh came from his lips. "The healer died. So I am left to figure it all out on my own," Sebastian admitted. He then glanced over the girl. "I'm Sebastian. I can help you look for this goldenrod?," he offered. "What is the use of goldenrod?"
309 Posts
Ooc — Soap
Yay! Healer thread! Totally down.

Great. He had no idea what goldenrod was.

She frowned, staring at him for a moment as she tried to decide whether or not he'd be useful in her endeavors at all. If he didn't know where to start, she'd be better off to continue her hunt alone. Except two wolves could cover more ground... And then he went on, asking if it was used for healing and that he wanted to become one...

Alright. He'd asked the right questions. He could prove useful. Why not?

She resigned herself to letting him help as he elaborated. The healer he was learning from died? "That's not all too uncommon," she murmured. Since most healers didn't learn the appropriate way to sample unknown plants, the foolish ones were more prone to consuming the wrong plant while grinding up salves and effectively resulted in ending their own life as opposed to saving another. A shame? But what could any wolf do? Dead was dead. There was no coming back from it.

"Alright, Bastian," she said, resigning herself to teaching him in this instance. He seemed a touch desperate and she could use the help. This was a mutually beneficial arraignment and she'd take full advantage of it. "I'm Citali. I hail from a distant pack where was was the best, if not most excellent student within my class and have since been regarded with high honors and tasked with extreme circumstances. I will say things only once and will not repeat myself so listen up."

"Goldenrod," she said, turning and taking a few paces towards the south. She paused. Then she looked at him. "When I walk, you are to walk with me and listen." She waited for him to catch up before she resumed her stroll.

"Goldenrod," she resumed "Is often mistaken for a weed. It grows rapidly in clusters and has a stalk-like appearance of anywhere from ankle to shoulder height depending on the age of the plant. It tends to bloom with multiple yellow flowers that bud along the stalk in late summer. Looking for it now, we'll likely only see the beginnings of buds, but it's scent is sweet. The leaves are long and narrow with serrations around the edges. Shouldn't be too difficult..."

Except he was a rookie, so he might need a little extra instruction... "Do not mistake it for ragweed. If when sniffing the plant, it makes you sneeze or agitates your nose, you've likely found the imposter."
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Yay! :D

If only Sebastian knew this was a pack mate from Nochtli. But he wasn't sure about her scent and if it was the same. And Nochtli hadn't really scented of any pack even though she claimed to be in one. Sebastian glanced at the lighter grey female. "Yes, Miss Citali," he spoke since she spoke about being the best. Sebastian had learned to respect someone that had mastered a skill so it was natural for him to show respect. Sebastian was also a follower, he didn't seek to lead. So when the female told him to follow he automatically did.

His tail hung low as his large gentle frame followed her. He nodded to tell her that he understood. "Yes, Miss Citali,' he spoke. Sebastian listened to the description. It seemed simple, so the large male started to look for the golden plant. He could understand the name now. Sebastian pushed his nose to the ground and tried to look with his eyes at the same time. Up ahead he saw some golden flowers and instantly trotted forward. "I think I found some, Miss Citali!," He let out. "What is the use of the flower?"
309 Posts
Ooc — Soap
Eee! He's so cute!

He was quick to pick up on her expectations and even quicker to fall into them without much hesitation. It pleased her greatly that he referred to her with such a title as he'd made it very clear as to who was teacher here and who would be doing all the learning. They set off, roaming through the forest in search of the goldenrod she was after.

She explained what she was looking for and soon her student set his eyes on a flowering plant. She frowned. He must have missed the part about this particular plant flowering in late summer and that they were looking for something with buds.

With a sigh, she shook her head. "No. That's tapertip hawksbeard," she identified for him. "That plant is no more than a good food source for elk, deer, and the like." A shame really. She wished all plants held some sort of usefulness in the art of healing, but some were just lying around to distract from the important plants. "If you were a hunter, that would be more important to notice, but for now, pay it no mind."

She turned away from that particular specimen and continued. "Again. We're looking for a budding plant. That means without flowers. Sweeter scent, though that won't be quite so obvious until they're in full bloom. Seek a stalk with long, narrow, serrated leaves." She mentally sighed. "Try again."
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
He is! Big teddybear! >D

Sebastian quickly made a note of what the female said. He didn't want to do it wrong again. Luckily Sebastian had an amazing memory which probably wouldn't get himself mistaken for that plant again. He remembered the scent and the look of the plant, knowing it was not goldenrod. The male turned his body more to his teacher. She did make wise points even for a hunter. He liked her input already. "Yes, Miss Citali,' he spoke politely once more. 

Sebastian wanted to be anything but his father, which he could remember as a brute. Especially how he treated him, or well, not treated him. Sebastian had been always ignored by him, thinking it was on purpose. The large grey male looked like a younger version of his father with a tail. Sebastian still thought to confront him but he might also not do that. He didn't need to man's approval... right? The tank of a male then focused on finding the right flower.

Eventually between a few different flowers he found a budding plant that had the narrow leaves. "Miss Citali!," he called out, his tail wagging a bit. Once he would find the right plant he could get the scent and the looks of it, which would be far easier since he would know where to look for. 
309 Posts
Ooc — Soap
He took his error in stride and proceeded, moving on to seek the proper specimen. Citali roamed, drifting through the forest at her own pace as she lingered in his proximity and searched for herself. Her nose lifted, scenting the air as she passed between trees and turned her eyes towards the ground. Somewhere around here... The environment was within the right climate for this particular herb...

Her attention was captured when he spoke her name again, this time with much excitement. Her ears lifted as she altered her course and moved to join him. Her eyes observed the plant he'd found and it was definitely within the realms of what she had described.

"Sniff it," she encouraged, wishing for him to learn from his own experiences. "What sort of scent does it have?"
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian looked up at his new teacher and them moved his nose closer to the plant that he thought he found. He took a deep sniff, which made him sneeze before he smelled more carefully. The large male then realized it was a more sweeter scent. "Sweet?," he then spoke a bit questioningly. Not as sweet as honey smelled but it did... smell like a lighter version of that. He glanced at her not wanting to be wrong again.

She still hadn't told him the use of this plant and he really liked to know now because it seemed like a lot of effort to look for it in the first place. Sebastian kept his pale eyes on the female hoping that she would tell him what they were used for. "Is it the right plant?"
309 Posts
Ooc — Soap
One deep sniff and the wolf sneezed. Citali's eyes narrowed as she observed the plant, noted what it was, but said nothing. The best learning came from experience. If he could describe it out loud, he would be more likely to remember it. Well, if he was an auditory learner. If he was kinesthetic, this likely wasn't the occupation for him. Visual? He'd be fine.

"Describe its leaves for me," she insisted. She wasn't going to reveal what it was until he had a real handle on the plant. "Height. Health." She rambled off a few other things worth noting. "Is there any evidence of dryness or bugs?"
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian looked at the female, almost wondering if she was blind. It seemed that she wasn't helping him confirm if it was the right plant. Sebastian looked a but troubled. "They are like you said they were. Long, narrow, serrated leaves," he cited her words. Sebastian then glanced at her at the next questions.

"It reaches my shoulder and it is all green, no rotting brown spots or bugs moving over it," he confirmed after an inspection with his eyes and nose. "How do you know a plant is dry?," he then asked. Sebastian had no clue. He was grateful for this wolf since she would be the foundation for all his knowledge.
309 Posts
Ooc — Soap
She made a warm noise as she further observed the plant he'd found. Her eyes traced over each part as he spoke on it, nodding lightly as he proved he was learning how to get a better handle on plant life. She parted her lips, ready to congratulate him on his find when he asked an intelligent question. Citali quieted for a moment, smiling lightly as proceeded to reward him for his thoughtfulness with a reply.

"Plants will begin to yellow as they die," she announced. "At least these will. Those with trunks and bark have other signs, but most herbs have green stems and stalks when they are healthy. If they yellow, the plant is starting to die and the yellowed parts are no longer useful. The rest of it? This yellow depletes whatever healing properties it may have. If they die further to the point where they brown and wither, the plant is useless."

She looked to him, making sure he was still paying attention. "You've found goldenrod," she congratulated. "As is, the leaves and buds can be chewed into a pulp and applied to wounds to prevent infection. When the flowers bloom, its petals can be chewed to provide relief from a head or tooth ache. Careful. Goldenrod is very potent and if overused a patient can develop an allergy to the plant. Save it for extreme scenarios."

Citali tipped her head towards the plant. "Uproot it. Take it. This one is yours."
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian gave a few serious nods to show his teacher that he was listening and understanding. That latter was the most important part after all. It seemed logical but it was good to know that green plants that looked yellow weren't good anymore. Sebastian quickly understood that it was about the green of the stem and leaves. Not the the actual flower pedals. Sebastian's tail instantly started to wag excitedly when it was confirmed he found the the goldenrod. This plant hunting was challenging but super fun! Sebastian liked the reward of finding the right plant. "Leaves and buds are against infection and pedals are for tooth and headache. Got it," he repeated.

Sebastian carefully unrooted the plant and then pulled it free. Yet.. this smart wolf knew that if he would remove it, the plant would die right. "Could I plant it in my pack's territory? So it will keep on growing? Because if I leave it out of the soil the plant will dry right?," he then questioned.
309 Posts
Ooc — Soap
"Mm." She made a warm sound to let him know he'd repeated the information correctly. It was a shorter version of the truth, but truth enough. He was listening. That was all she needed to know. What he did with that information was up to him. If he was truly aspiring to be a healer, he'd best remember all she said, not just his condensed version.

Alas, she was ready to move on and find her own version of the plant. She shifted, moving as if to leave when he asked her another question. She pressed her eyes closed and counted slowly to ten before opening them. Moving plants... this would open up another dialogue.

"If your home is not too far from here, you're welcome to try. Careful while digging it up. You'll want to preserve as much of its roots as possible. If you pass by a stream, dampen the roots or they will dry and it likely won't thrive in its new location. Make sure the new soil is of similar caliber to its native home or it might die during transplant."

She thought on it. A dying plant was different than a dried plant. Ugh. So much to explain. "If you unroot it and let it dry naturally, they tend to retain a light greenish color and are still usable. A plant that yellows tends to be more of a defect with the overall health of the plant." There. It was her simplest explanation.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Thank you for this amazing thread! <3 

Sebastian nodded once more. "I think I will try that," he spoke thoughtfully. He would need a cave or a den to get a storage and maybe even planting a lot of plants together so he would have an inventive supply. That would be great! Sebastian carefully held the plant he had gotten and wanted to dampen the roots instantly and plant it, so it wouldn't dry out. "I understand, thank you greatly for sharing your knowledge," Sebastian thanked the other wolf. "I won't bother you no more and go take care of my plant," the young wolf returned.

The large grey male nodded the other goodbye with several other thank you's. He was hoping that he would see Miss Citali again. She had so much knowledge about plants and healing that she could be a perfect teacher for him. Sebastian had the biggest victory smile as he carried the plant back over the Caldera Borders. 

Sebastian Exits. 
309 Posts
Ooc — Soap
With a few words of thanks, it seemed as if they were done here. Lovely. She lingered for a moment, watching as the wolf proceeded to uproot his plant and moved on to more lofty thoughts with as to what he intended to do with it. He proved himself to be a bright student. If all of them were as disciplined an eager as he was... she might even consider teaching.

Brushing off the thought, she left him to his business and continued about her own way. This mental inventory she was collecting with as to what grew where was brimming with the possibilities an options with as to what she might be able to provide considering her... unusual circumstances of this venture Tezcacoatl was on. Hopefully his foolishness would pass, but until then? She was still the medic on his team and she could still provide. These lands were rich with remedies.

-fade thread-