Sea Lion Shores Heh. That's Cute.
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap

Time to head back to the ocean. Kero vaguely remembered some kid mentioning saltwater was good for healing wounds. He didn't have one. He was still all in once piece, but he was curious as to whether or not the sea was actually useful for that sort of thing. Maybe he could cut himself on a rock or something when he got there. Try it out. 

He'd only ever been to the great blue waters once before. He remembered it being pretty silty, which made him iffy on the whole subject. Dirt in wounds was definitely not the best. He wasn't sure how sandy water would do either, but he figured he could at least take a look. 

Kero took the forest route, passing between two mountainous bodies before following a river towards the shore. He saw the ocean in the distance and turned south, passing across the land as he trailed towards the sea. It was a lengthy trip, but before he knew it the tree line was thinning and the green grasses became sparse, giving way to sands and taller, wispy reeds. 

The cinnamon wolf pressed forward, creeping through the seagrass until he came upon a rocky out cropping. And heard barking. What the hell was that? Crawling forward, he hooked his nose over a ledge and looked down to see a harem of sea lions resting on the shore. They were noisy and fat and lazy. He wasn't sure how all those words went together, but his eyes drifted to find a large male guarding his women. He was kind of a hulking figure, but there was a part of Kero that wondered if he could take him. 

He continued to observe. 
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle did not travel far most days, not with the little ones nestled sweetly in the fold. Today however, she ventured further out, a small jaunt on the beach. Tasking Charon and Levi to watch their siblings. While she tried to jump start her memories, and force herself to remember who the wolf was that she had smelled heavy on her husbands corpse. It made her ill really, to think of it. That she could not remember something as trivial as another's name and face. She knew the smell, but that was all. It must of been someone she had not meant often.

Thistle took a moment to look to the forest. The large trees, reaching up to touch the sky. The area where her husband had lost his eye, where he had decided to make their own pack. She sighed softly, she missed him so very much. Sniffing to herself she rubbed her face along the side of her leg. Forcing her legs in motion she continued on.

Thistle heard the sea lions and it was then that she saw another. Tip toeing forward with a small growl, and chuff she let him know she was there. Was this creature that killed her husband? She would find out soon enough, as she caught a whiff of his scent. No it wasn't him, she felt crushing disappointment, but she stood still looking at him warily waiting for him to turn and speak to her. At the least she could pass the day with some conversation.
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap
He watched the blubbery creatures below. They seemed a little... off? They waddled. They were slow. They wiggled like fat worms and barked like dogs. He wasn't sure what they were, but he also wasn't sure what to do about them, if anything. Could a wolf eat one of those things? From this distance, it was hard to get a gander on their size, but they seemed pretty hefty to him. If a wolf did manage to snag one... it might be possible to stay stuffed for a while...

His thoughts drifted, only to be brought back down to earth as a growl followed by a lighter sound came up from behind him. Kero turned, flipping his head around to look over his shoulder as a female tip-toed up behind him. He gave her the once over before he shifted, lifting to his feet a bit to offer up more space of the ledge if she wanted to take a gander. 

"You have any idea what those things are?" he asked, tipping his head down towards where the sea lions played below. This was only his second visit ever to the ocean. All this wildlife was new to him. "Do they taste good?" 
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle stared at the fat creatures below the overlook. Ugly things they were, sea lions she was certain they were called. They were slow yes, and large. But they could kill a wolf too, easily. The males especially, they were nasty creatures. And she had no idea, why the gods had saw fit to make them. She didn't understand what their purpose was here.

Thistle did not move any closer, but rather stood further back. She could see and hear what he saw well enough. She also didn't want to get too close to the edge in case he decided to push her over. SHe trusted no one really, anymore. Too many had betrayed her, and someone had betrayed her worse than anyone.

They are Sea lions. She looked down again at the ugly creatures. She grimaced in disgust. She did not like them. They taste strange, and their skin is a strange consistency. However, you cannot kill them very easily, and they could just as easily break your back.
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap
She didn't come any closer. Kero regarded her for a moment as his question drifted through the air. That look on her face? She didn't think too highly of whatever was over that ledge. Not only did she keep her distance, but she didn't make much effort to take a look either. Kerosene turned his eyes down towards the beach below. She wasn't coming near the edge. He got that. It was fine. But it meant he could steal a few more glances without an all-too-friendly shove or an up close and personal experience.

She named them. Sea lions. A somewhat strange name for them, but at least he had something to call him by. His ears flicked upon his head, turning to listen to her as she continued. Not the best to eat. Harder to kill. He tipped his head back and forth, considering it for a moment before he decided to take her word for it. Another time then. If he could get one alone, he'd be able to get a better measure on it and see for himself.

"Then what the hell do wolves eat out here?" he asked. She was only the second wolf he'd discovered by the sea and he didn't get it. The ocean seemed uninhabitable unless one could swim against the strong currents. As for food? The water was already impossible to drink. The wildlife seemed skimp, difficult to crack, or harder to take down. That made living somewhat of a hardship. "Water tastes like shit."

Kero stepped away from the edge and made himself at home on solid ground. He dipped his head towards her, respectful of the hesitance she seemed to have towards strangers and allowed her enough space to visibly regain comfort. "Heard that waters good for wounds though. You know anything about that?"
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle really didn't like Sea lions, all honesty she thought them nasty and hazardous. She wouldn't want to meet one, especially during mating season. Goodness the males were absolutely crass and aggressive. Not that male wolves were much better during breeding season. But she supposed since she was a wolf, she was rather bias in that regard. 

Thistle didn't say that they could be killed with a group, and if they were by themselves. However, if those creatures were in the water, or they went after you as a group. Well, you were done for, and that was the light way of putting it.

Thistle chuckled at his question, Fish and the same things you eat, or at least my pack does. We are further that way and yes there is water, but we also have forest and meadows among our territory. She agreed quietly about the water. Shaking her head yes, it did taste badly. It could also kill you if drank too much, it not only dehydrated your body, but made you sick. It can kill you if you drink too much.

Thistle smiled softly and spoke even quieter. Yes as a matter of fact I do. It does help with wounds, but well it stings like you would not believe. It cleans them out though if it is all you have.
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap
Ah ha! So there was a pack somewhere by the water and according to this wolf, not far. He'd wondered. As much as the land appeared uninhabitable to him, it did seem as though there should have been more life within these parts. Thus far, all his travels to the ocean deemed this area a somewhat barren a void. The land was beautiful, but he seldom crossed another soul. Encountering someone else was always a rare treat. They always knew things he didn't.

For instance, near everything she riddled off was news to him. Wolves could be good fishers? This bit in particular perplexed him as he often struggled with it and gave up to peruse something he could chase on land. Like a rabbit. Fishing was not one of his talents. That others were adept was news to him. As was the suggestion that the consumption of too much sea water could kill a wolf. "good to know," he replied, storing the info away for later.

She spoke again, but more softly. Kero took a step towards her, turning his ears to more attentively capture what it was she had to say. The water helped, but it stung like a bitch. Kero grinned, nodding as he kept that in mind for another time. The boy he'd encountered had been right. His mother had taught him well.

Another nod and Kero drop down to his shoulders. Rump in the air, he stretched and cracked his muzzle apart with a yawn. "Would you believe it if I said this was only my second visit to the ocean?" A small tidbit about himself, but true. He'd only ever heard of the place until just recently. "There is still much about it I do not know." But her? She seemed well versed in these waters. Despite her distaste for the sea lions and her discomfort with him, she seemed very much at home within this place. "How long have you known the sea?"
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle could tell him of a time when three packs, made their home near the sea. However, her's was the only one left. Sometimes she was proud of that, others she wondered if they were glutton's for punishment and if they shouldn't move on. She didn't know, so she persevered, staying where she was and learning and watching and hoping. It was all she could do really.

Thistle nodded her head, Yes too much can make you sick and dehydrate you adn the sicker you are the more you vomit which dehydrates you even faster. It's a terrible, yet beautiful thing the sea. SHe grew quiet then and looked out over the sea and it's blue color. It was beautiful, but to love it was to be wary of it. The creatures that slide beneath it, and the waves as the crashed. It was dangerously beautiful.

Thistle smiled again and nodded. She could have said it stung like a bitch, but well one did not use such words. Not when they were a lady in polite company, though Thistle had been known to blister the rear end of her husband with some of her words. For a moment she lost her breath, as she realized she would even miss the fights with him. Her ears slid back her skull and then back forward as she tried to push the grief at bay for the time.

Thistle laughed softly her laughter carrying, Yes actually I can believe that sir. Forgive me, I have not been very kind. I am Thistle Cloud, alphess of Stavanger Bay. He gave something of his, so she gave her name in return. Thistle sighed softly, happily and a strange look came across her face as she thought about it. I was born by the sea, and then when I left my family to strike out on my own. I settled near the sea again. So I have always been part of the sea.
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap
Good for healing, definitely not good for drinking. What she mentioned about becoming sick, vomiting, and the eventual onset of dehydration made sense if he thought about it. There was something about the salty taste of it that had left him thirsty for something fresh the last time he'd tried it... which was hopefully his last. Drinking ocean water was a mistake he only wished to make once. He'd learned from it.

"A terrible, yet beautiful thing indeed," he repeated following her gaze with his own to look out across the water. She was pensive. He fell into an equally quiet state as he listened to the roar of the shore hidden beneath the barking of the sea lions below. He could see why it would be so easy to fall in love with a place like this. Easy... and yet difficult if only because it was not such a natural thing.

But her? She seemed right at home. Comfortable. Her mood seemed to lighten the longer they lingered and while he missed her moment of grief, he caught her following laughter. Kero grinned lightly, ears lifting to swivel towards her voice as she spoke and introduced herself. An alphess? He might not have guessed, but now that she mentioned it he could see it in the way she held herself. "A pleasure. Kerosene," he returned, whispering the fullness of his first name for the first time since he'd entered these wilds. "Recently of the Spine."

She spoke more of herself; of her fondness for the sea. He listened, slightly mesmerized by the soothing nature of her voice as she mused over fond memories. "It suits you," he commented, glancing towards her. "I've always been a creature of the earth. Of forests and mountains. But the sea? There's thrall within its mysteries."

He quieted for a moment, regarding her as it suddenly dawned upon him as to her quiet nature. "You seem tired," he commented. No doubt the weight of leadership was a heavy one. He didn't envy her that role and yet he admired her for it.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle couldn';t know that the wolf in front of her had drank the sea water. She could however think those that did were foolish. It was not something she would ever drink. However, she supposed she could not hold them at too much fault. Especially, since she had the knowledge that most didn't have, being born near the sea.

She perked her ears forward listening. Well met Kerosene. It was a strange name, it was not a hard name to say, just different. Kerosene, what an interesting name. Most call me Thistle Then she listened further, she wasn't sure if she knew the Spine, it was so hard to keep track of those that were not hers. Recent of? Did you leave it behind for greener pastures?

She did not say much of his forests and tress, she too had them. She loved them just as fiercely as she loved the sea. Oh I am tired. I just had babies not that long ago, and soon after lost my husband to throes of death. So tired Kerosene is an understatement. She gave him a soft sad smile.
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap
His full name was strange to hear spoken out loud. He'd not offered it often so, when spoken, it was almost foreign upon his ears. It held an uncertain weight to it that was distracting, but he realized he'd offered it and that name was all she had to go by. She? She shortened her name for him, offering him something that was easier to speak. Thistle was still a mouthful, however, and it suggested a somewhat prickly something she didn't radiate. "Ever gone by Cloud?" he asked. The words fell before he thought to stop them.

So too, had his previous words been spoken without consideration. "Um. No. Sorry," he quickly apologized and went on to correct his mistake. "I misspoke. I mean recent as in recently joined. It seems I've wandered for far too long that I'm unsure as to how to refer to a new residence." A pack wolf now. He turned his stare towards the forests and the mountains beyond. Also strange; this new life of his.

They spoke of tiredness. He was not expecting to receive the reply she gave, but as she was offering, he nodded and paid closer attention. Her life seemed to be much of a whirlwind. In comparison, he had very little room to complain about his own fate. "My condolences for such joy to come with equal sorrow." Alone. She was ruling alone and raising a family by herself. Her burdens were heavy. He did not envy her.

"Kero," he offered, awarding her a shortened version of his name. "If it's easier for you." It was certainly more familiar to him and more at home upon his ears. "But your pack? Do they comfort you?"
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle looked at him strangely at his question, not because it was a bad one, but rather because it was different. She had never gone by Cloud, had never shortened it that way. She shook her head, No I haven't, but you may call me that if you like.

Thistle listened her ears forward her small paws digging into the sand and dirt gently, just working off a bit of nervous energy. She chuckled, Ah I see. Well congratulations for finding a home. Is it far your home? I do not know if I know it very well or even where about it is? I do not get far from here often.

Thistle smiled and dipped her muzzle, Thank you, my husband would not want me to grieve, for he is in Valhalla now. But thank you all the same. She grew quiet and thought of Ragnar and wanted to cry out in unfairness and grief. But she kept her words, and her thoughts ot herself on such things.

Kero. She tried out his name, tasted it as best she could. It worked for him, and she nodded it fit. They do, we are tiny but might and I love them all. They are wonderful in my time of sorrow, and all help with the babes.
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap
Ha. Permission to call her Cloud granted. In all fairness, it was a better nickname for her if only because her complexion seemed rather stormy. Filled with sorrow. A touch gloomy. Given the circumstances of her husband's late passing, he didn't expect anything less. Each wolf mourned in their own way and in their own time. He didn't fault her for that.

His ears turned as she asked more questions about his home. "About a day or so," he replied. The journey could take longer or shorter periods of time depending upon the number of distractions. Then again... she spoke of how she never really had an opportunity to travel. That made him very sad for her on a number of levels. Traveling was good for the soul.

"Why not? If you're ever feeling lost, the best place to find yourself again is in the middle of no where." Truth. In isolation, one had nothing but the company of themselves to entertain them. That meant there was lots of time to uncover bitter truths and sort through barriers one may not even know they had. "Consider it. Traveling. The best way to replace old memories is to make new ones." If her pack was strong enough, time away might do her good.

Speaking of, his time here was quickly running out. He'd reached the coast, explored it for a bit, and now it was best if he were on his way. He rose, lifting to his paws as he stretched once more and resigned himself to leaving. "A pleasure meeting you, Cloud. Best of luck to you and yours." With that, he swiftly departed and set forth towards his next adventure.

-Kero exits-