Redtail Rise burn like a fire inside
102 Posts
Ooc —
All welcome for any Redtail member though @Gunnar is certainly welcome Danni, but no obligation. I know you're busy!! :-)

A familiar scent had caught the ebony tyrant's attention and interest on his trip south, towards Stavanger Bay, but he had not wished to deviate from his course. Though Mercury did not have much of an idea of where he was going, or where he would settle — if he would settle at all — he needed to see Gunnar. There were many questions that refused to cease swirling around Mercury's mind, twining unfairly with his own unfair assumptions and worse yet feelings. Letting his emotions run rampant was never a smart thing, for it had caused much discord between him and his mother when she'd only been trying to tell him a truth though all he could hear was that he was a bastard son on top of the literal black sheep. Why Gunnar was not with the Bay, Mercury did not know but he had every intention of finding out. Perhaps Gunnar would not want to see him, but his quarrel was not with his brother. Trepidation gripped the smoky-black DiSarinno, causing the slowing of his steps, previously made with purpose, diminishing the distance between himself and the borders of a pack where Gunnar's scent was the strongest. He was still ways away from the scent markers wondering why he felt doubt now. What did Gunnar have to be bitter with him about? Gunnar had always been the favorite, or at least this was how Mercury chose to see it. 

It was understandable how Ragnar could have disliked him, a tribute to his blood heritage, but Gunnar had been blessed to look very much like Thistle, even Gyda resembled Ragnar in coloration despite that he was not her blood father, either. A rough noise left Mercury's lips, a sharp scoff before he took in a deep breath and left it out. Don't let your emotions get in the way. After all, he had no idea how Gunnar would take the news of his return to the Teekon Wilds and the only way he would know, the only way he deserved to know was from the wayward brother himself. 

Yet, as Mercury drew nearer, lowering his posture to a neutral, non-threatening pose, with a more than adequate distance between the urination markers and his physical body it was not Gunnar he called for. Instead, he sent out a general howl simply letting his presence be known. If Gunnar arrived, then great, and if he did not then Mercury would understand.
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Figured I'd throw Reek atcha! Hope you don't mind!

Although Smash had caught Reek in a relatively good mood, owing her acceptance to the pack on her brimming positivity and the fact that Reek's brief stint of leadership had just begun.  Paranoia had not yet had it's time to manifest.  However, given the time to take root, fear and worry can warp even the soundest of minds.  Five days into Saena's absence, and Reek had become obsessive over protecting his family. His constant patrols on the border were becoming longer, and his time away from the interior of the pack and his mate was ebbing away at the sake of duty, just as his stability was rapidly becoming more fleeting.

If there is a higher power, Lord help anyone who tries to cross the line of piss in the sand.

Reek had caught the scent of another, long before the howl even rang through the air.  He followed, hoping to intercept whatever perceived threat the stranger was.  When the stranger howled to summon a member of the pack, Reek was already close at hand, moving quickly to close the gap between him and the smokey-black wolf who laid behind the scent markers.

Although he may have not been the most intimidating sort, Reek approached with his tail high and ears forward as he glared at the new arrival. "What'd you want?"  He snarled, hoping the other would keep his explanation brief.  While normally a wordsy man,  Reek was no longer in the mood for pleasantries when the safety of his pack was possibly at stake.
102 Posts
Ooc —
Not at all! Thank you for joining! <3

There was a small lapse of time between when Mercury's howl had pierced the air to the arrival of one of the pack's members. At first, his heart beat stuttered with an irregular beat at the possibility of it being Gunnar, grasped tightly with breathless hope. Hope that was quickly smashed against the wall when the tyrant's sharp eyes of imperial green took in the figure of the other male as he approached, his posture eluding his dominance at every pore. This was recognized by the young bastard and he lowered his head to show that he accepted the show of rank, despite not being apart of his pack. Still, he could not help but wonder what had lured Gunnar to follow the scraggly male before him. Shorter than Mercury himself, thus shorter than Gunnar, of whom Mercury had always had height on. Where Gunnar was a tank, broad and brutish it was Mercury who was svelte, better for speed and for travel. 

Mercury's eyes rose only slightly when the male snarled at him, asking him what he wanted in what Mercury considered to be the most undiplomatic greeting he'd ever heard. He'd had a more diplomatic greeting from the Northmen, which was something for the Vikings were not known for being all that hospitable. In fact, it was their feral and savagery that they were best known for: nothing short of heathens. Despite his disgruntled feeling, Mercury was determined to play the silver-tongue, or at the very last be pleasant. “I just want to talk,” Mercury offered his intentions, figuring it was better to answer his question first before offering any sort of explanation. “I had scented my brother on your border markings, perhaps you know him? His name is Gunnar. I don't have to speak with him, but I would like to know more about your pack, sir, and if...maybe you may have room for me. I don't expect to be let in on word of faith, I have many talents I could offer you and yours.” It was a... start to making his case.

Mercury wasn't even sure that Gunnar would want him here, but he desired to be with family and  the wound of betrayal ran too deep and was too raw yet for him to return to the Bay other than to visit, should his mother even want to see him after everything he'd done and said.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Whoever this kid was, he certainly understood the merits of brevity.  Reek's stance remained unchanged for the bulk of the youngster's explanation, however after hearing that he was Gunnar's brother, his forceful stance dropped a bit.  Although Reed didn't really know Gunnar personally, as he'd only seen him around pack lands briefly, the fact that this visitor had a family member within the pack allowed Reek to relax a bit.  However, without speaking to Gunnar directly, the validity of this wolves claims couldn't be validated, however, the raggedy wolf decided to humor him and take his word at face value.  

In truth, Reek would have turned this wolf away without a word if he hadn't mentioned his kin residing in the pack.  He simply would have howled for Arion and watched the stallion run him out.  But, even in Reek's paranoiac state, he knew the Rise needed all the able bodied wolves that they could sink their claws into... especially now in the wake of the disappearances.

"You're in Redtail Rise," Reek explained, keeping his gaze locked on the slate-black wolf.  "I can take your brother a message if you want.  Or, you can stay... we do have room.  First, you need to prove yourself to me... What are you good at, how can we use you?"  
102 Posts
Ooc —
Mercury could feel the older male's gaze, as if it were a tangible, physical weight placed upon him, bearing down upon his shoulders. He would not break under the weight. He had survived much worse than the assessment of a stranger, surely, this he could endure and would pass. It had never occurred to Mercury that he might not be believed — though it would, perhaps, not surprise him considering he and Gunnar looked literally nothing alike — as being Gunnar's brother. After all, who in their right mind would make such a wild claim? Especially when the chances of getting away with such a falsity was next to impossible. The scraggly looking male introduced the pack. Redtail Rise. This was his first time hearing of it, but he took little stock in his own memories. After all, everything was fluid — an ebb and flow not unlike the tide of the ocean. Regimes rose and fell everyday, and in all honesty whether the pack was new or old meant little to Mercury. A pack was a pack.

“No,” Mercury declined when the offer was made to take a message to Gunnar. “There is much to tell him but he should hear of my adventures from me, personally, and me him.” Besides, he did not like the idea of a complete stranger knowing just how dysfunctional his family was. Lodbrok (or DiSarinno, in Mercury's case, having denounced his Lodbrok title and his Viking name) business was to stay strictly within the family. He would not intentionally bring the type of harm to his mother that giving out confidential information away so easily. “I will do whatever you ask of me, whatever it takes.” Mercury vowed, ears slicking to rest at half mast atop his skull. “I am a trained Warden, and I am particularly suited to being an Outrider.” His long legs and svelte form ensured he could move with speed to deliver messages or information. “I am practiced at being a Naturalist though that area could definitely use some more attention.” And Mercury was willing to learn.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Short post is short. It's late and I'm exhausted, but I just wanted to keep this moving so I can get you accepted ASAP!

A warden.  Now, more than ever, did Reek need as much help on the border as possible.  He had worked himself into the ground with his endless patrols.  Someone to help share the load was a necessity, especially now with the disappearance of the sisters.  "A warden, eh?" he affirmed from behind a thin smile.  Certainly there would be a place in the pack for this newbie, that is, if he could gain Reek's trust.  "We need that...  We could put you to work as soon as possible.  If you want to stay, you're going to have to earn your keep."

Usefullness had been decided, now for trust.  "Tell me kid, you got a name?" he asked, lowering his stance into a more comfortable position.  
246 Posts
Ooc — Will
Just gonna shove him here for one post :)

Arion usually did not allow his emotions to get in his way when he worked, he had grown up to believe that feelings were just defects, things that had absolutely no use in life. They ruined you and made you miss the most obvious things, they were dangerous. His time in Redtail Rise had somehow made him slowly unlock the door that had always kept his feelings at bay, but when the disappearance of the sisters set in, he locked it up again.

The stallion devoted himself to patrolling and hunting, devoted himself to serving the pack and doing his duty. He did not let himself get sidetracked, did not let himself succumb to the draw of resting. He could not afford to be lazy, not when his leader entrusted him and his friend to take care of the pack, not when Saena had vanished for a longer time than expected. But that day, Arion was far away from the borders, so when the howl rang through the air, it took time to arrive, especially when his legs were practically dead.

But Arion did arrive, though he lingered in the background, honey eyes taking in the forms of the smoky stranger and Reek, ready to jump in in case anything happened. But the older man took care of things and appeared to not need help, with one last glance, the Greek turned around and retreated but made sure to keep close in case something did happen.
102 Posts
Ooc —
There were many useful skills that the Vikings, Dagrun in particular, also a bastard like him. It made sense that out of the numerous men and women that Mercury could grow close to, it was the burly bear of a Berserker. Mercury did not keep this at bay with the intention of being secretive, but simply because being a Warden would show case these things well enough, should it come to a battle. He had much to do, of course, having to actually earn the trade and bear it in title as well as skill — same went for Outrider and Naturalist, but he intended to focus upon one at a time, and from Reek's admittance it was something they were sorely in need of, speaking as he did of putting Mercury right on the front lines, not that the DiSarinno would shy away from such a thing. It was a sure fire way to prove himself, and he would rise to it, should he have been accepted.

“I would expect no less,” Ragnar had not tolerated idleness, nor insubordination, and these beliefs and teachings were something that Mercury would carry with him for likely as long as he drew breath. Despite being a bastard son, there was some usefulness to what the platinum colored Viking had taught him; though it was Dagrun that had taught him discipline. “My name is Mercury.” The skylark introduced, sheepishly, hoping that his failure to outright introduce himself to begin with did not bode ill for him.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
One more post should do it!  Welcome to Redtail Rise!  Remember to post in the pack meeting thread when you can: it's forward dated for the 25th so the timeline will match up!  I'll shoot @Saena a message to get your user-group status updated along with a rank!

Unfortunately for Reek, trust was not something that was earned in an instant.  No, Reek had concluded that this, Mercury, would have to be watched from afar until he knew to whom his loyalties where subscribed to. If the kid had any sense to him, he would understand.  However, Reek did see fit to give the youngster a chance to become one of the rise, to become family, in due time.  

"Alright Mercury," began Reek as he strode forward to close the gap between them.  "You've earned this much.  My name is Reek, temporary leader of the rise.  Saena is our Alpha, but while she is away, my word is law.  Understood?"  The raggedy wolf nodded his head and a terse simper formed across his maw.  "Welcome home."

"Go introduce yourself to the others," he continued in a tired deadpan.  "Then come find me.  We'll get you started on a shift."  And with that, Reek turned on his heel to continue along his obsessive patrol.  "If you'd excuse me, I need to finish what I started."
102 Posts
Ooc —
I'll go ahead and have this archived then. :-)

The older male moved closer, breaching the silence with an introduction: Reek. He was not the Alpha, though he was temporarily in charge. The instructions were simple enough: until the return of Redtail Rise's true alpha he was the one whose word he was to obey. “Understood,” Mercury mimicked with a stern nod, dipping his muzzle low, ears splaying to either side of his head before they twitched forth once more at the 'welcome home'. What a strange thing, Mercury thought, though it was not entirely unpleasant. He had had many homes in his short life, and he hoped that perhaps settling with these Rise wolves would produce what he was searching for. Not that he had much idea of what he was looking for, only knowing that he would finally cease to feel restless once he did find it.

“I'll see you in a few hours then,” Mercury concluded watching as Reek dissapeared to finish whatever Mercury had called him from. With a last look at his temporary leader's retreating form, Mercury turned his attention to the vast stretch of land that the Rise wolves occupied and began heading forth, into the heart of the forest to go about seeing to Reek's orders.