Nova Peak What to do with the time
11 Posts
Ooc — Anthony
I would like leaders to join this one, but I'll leave it open for anyone interested in knowing Aro :3
This will be his joining thread to Nova Peak. It takes place somewhere around the northern edges of the territory, so probably.. Northern Sawtooth Edge?

[Image: TFwobqb.gif]

Wandering is heavy on the old, too cold and demanding, but never too solitary. Maester Aro had taken the few weeks of lone travelling to expand his knowledge on the native plants, being from a place far away himself, but he could only find the same variety that he was acustomed to encounter. Towering coniferous were abundant, just like it was back in the Grove, and the ocassional moss carpet felt like home too. Nothing felt too strange, just the way the old maester expected.

Aro, once a member of the Silvanuk bloodline, had spent years devoted to Mears Grove, a northern pack, a strong pack, but misfortunate changes in leadership had marked the end of its ruling over the land, and that way, releasing Aro from his oath of loyalty to the pack. It wasn't with joy that Aro decided to leave the place and look for a new pack to join in an effort to counsel it, but he did it regardless, knowing that it was his duty, and that otherwise he would have died in the desolated Grove, starving, dehydrated, eaten by cougars or coyotes, in his sleep. He wouldn't have had a chance of survival awaiting for a new pack to claim the land he was bonded to, so he stranded, from the wolves, from the forest, and he walked for miles looking for a new home. A new pack to serve.

The days of spring had ended recently, and the weather that would seem static for the un-trained eye, was clearly changing acording to Aro's observations. The last thunderstorms of spring were usually the heaviest of the year, and the old man was about to face the most intimidating one that he had seen in years. Thunders pounded from the far north, shaking the earth with their loud roar, it was only a matter of time until Aro found himself in the middle of an almost-apocalyptic rain. He had a keen set of senses except for his weak sight, and they were sufficient to keep the old man going for another couple years. Aro knew that his time in the world was limited, but he still felt motivation to live, to serve properly, and he would keep doing it until his last breath. It was only a matter of finding the right pack.

Walking down south, the maester found himself facing yet another mountain, not bigger than the ones he'd confronted during his long journey, but there was something different about this one speciffically. Wolves inhabited the territory, and their markings were stronger with every step the old man took forward. He wanted to prevent from crossing into claimed land, knowing very well that it wouldn't make a good first impression, so he kept wandering around respecting the territory, awaiting to be noticed by a warden, or maybe even the leaders themselves. If this was the pack he was going to pledge his eternal loyalty to he would need them to know that he was a wise wolf, and one that could and would help them in every way he could manage, whether it was in diplomatic affairs, medicinal and healing help, or even spiritual counsel, he would be there to carry on the job.

per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
The last few days had been chaotic at best. Kas had left her nieces and nephews unattended for five seconds and her brother and flown into a rage. He had forgotten his wife's pain and focused on her lack of protocol, which wasn't saying something; she knew Kieran would be by to check on the babes, like he did around that time every day. Scimitar didn't need to get his panties in a bunch. Yes, she should have called for someone, and yes, she should have waited, but her sister had howled in pain, and she wanted to make sure everything was alright. Without her, those babes wouldn't live long anyway. They were still suckling.

The weather seemed to suit her mood lately, as she stalked through the forest pondering her existence, thinking about all the ways she had failed her family lately. She was not fit to be a mother, that was clear enough. But was she fit to even love anyone? Her heart rode heavy in her chest as she patrolled the borders, fighting through fierce winds and the rising storm. The rain had not yet started, but she could tell it was coming, even at this distance. Perhaps the mountain would blunt its impact, but it was coming nonetheless.

Kaskara's foul mood didn't put her in any state to be speaking to lone wolves, but she was the only one out today, at least as far as she knew. Bazi was probably holed up in her den, snuggling her children, and Scimitar was probably plotting Kas's demise for leaving his children. She deserved it. With an annoyed huff, she stalked down the mountain toward the lone figure skirting their borders. At least he had the smarts to do that. "Can I help you?" she asked bluntly, but not meanly. She was in a "get to the point" type of mood today, and she studied the stranger with darker eyes than normal.
11 Posts
Ooc — Anthony
Aro was patient, very patient, and even with the threat of a heavy storm thundering behind him Aro awaited for a warden to atttend him at the borders. He knew it would only be a matter of time until the pack noticed him, so he was free of concerns.

The maester knew that storms carried with them a strong aura which easily altered the mood of even the most clever of wolves, so it wasn't a surprise to find himself confronting a snappy wolf either. She seemed to have a high spot in the hierarchy of the pack for the way she carried herself, so the elder bowed respectfully at her arrival. He studied her with a quick look, just to get the highlights of her. She was a bulky female, dark brown hair sprinkled with silver, and her eyes of orange gold had a peculiar speck of turqoise. He could easily tell that the female was a very physical one, probably a fierce oponent in battles, which gave him the impression that he was about to approach a strong pack.

Aro looked over his shoulder at the grey clouds in the sky, and then again into the warden's eyes as if stating what his problem was. He was a man of few words, but he liked to pick them carefully. "I am afraid that this old body is no longer fit to confront this kind of storms as a lone wolf anymore..." he woofed with his somewhat raspy voice.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
After a moment, she felt embarrassed by her bluntness. Kaskara had not meant to be so blunt or rude, but sometimes she curled into her own mind and couldn't see her way past the darkness threatening to close. Her brother was angry with her, and while she had deserved it, she wasn't about to admit that to him. Anyway, the puppies were fine. They were left alone for a fraction of a second, apparently. Scimitar had returned home right as she had left.

The wolf before her spoke gracefully. He was older than her, older than Kieran even, and although he seemed healthy and strong, he spoke as if he had seen the world and never wished to see it again. That intrigued her, but for now she had to focus on the task at hand. "Not many are suited to the life of a wanderer." Her gaze strayed from him to the storm clouds hovering over the ocean, threatening to move inland. "What is your name? I am Kaskara, Beta of the pack here on Nova Peak."
11 Posts
Ooc — Anthony
"But not all are suited to live among others." the elder said, not really trying to imply anything, but speaking a fact as the wise wolf he was. It usually bothered others, but Aro knew that he had the intellect in his advantage and that all they thought of him was meaningless.

"Aro Silvanuk, Maester of Eldfell." he introduced himself, bowing in respect and aknowledging the female's status as Beta. "I was hoping you'd take my knowledge and talents in return of a permanent home. My vows as a Maester require me to be loyal to a single pack and its leader, but since my previous pack disbanded my ties to its leader were broken. he explained. Aro usually expected wolves to know what a maester was, he was proud of his title, but it wasn't always the case.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Though it was true that some would take his reply as insolent, Kaskara understood him, and simply nodded. Sometimes she felt that she did not belong here, with this pack of family. She felt like an outsider, especially when her brother was angry with her for something she had done out of love. Love for both the pups she cared for and the mother whom had been in anguish. What was she to do, leave Bazi to her grief? No. The pups had been fine, had been protected. Nobody was coming into the heart of their pack to hurt them. Scimitar needed to let go of his paranoid ways. They no longer lived at the creek, and their lives were a thousand times better for it.

Though she didn't know the exact meaning of the title maester, it sounded an awful lot like master, and that word she knew. Eldfell was likely the place where he had lived before, the pack that had disbanded. Kaskara barely understood that pain, and some of her foul mood lifted at the thought. She had not gone through as much as this wolf, and she would surely survive her brother's temper. "I am sorry for your loss, Aro. Can you tell me of your talents and knowledge?" Whatever he knew or had an aptitude for, she needed to know. Otherwise, it was an older man's mouth she had to feed. Though she missed Galileo for his wise words, she wasn't quick to trust an outsider, especially an older one.
11 Posts
Ooc — Anthony
Aro met Kaskara's colorful eyes for a brief second, after which he bowed his head in gratitude for her respects. It was not like Aro had lost much actually, only a place where his talents were of use, but it had been a loss nonetheless, and he would seek to get it back in Nova Peak.

"A maester is a healer by trade, primarily, and my knowledge is the result of years of studies. I am a herbalist and botanist, I am an expert in wildlife matters and I have studied the lunar cycles and stars for years. I study nature, and nature is my knwledge." Aro explained with calm voice, not minding doing again even if he had many times before. "I also served as an advisor to the leaders of my previous pack, but that level of trust comes with time, I know." he said completely confident that he would get there one day. He was a patient wolf.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
It seemed this elder had skills and knowledge mostly vacant at the peak: healing, herbs, plants, wildlife, and stars, as well as advising skills. Kaskara had lived her share of life and could give advice when needed, but a wolf of his age, well...he could offer so much more. And he was smart, to boot. He knew when to bow his head, when to offer up his own knowledge about pack goings-on. Aro knew that he would have to earn his keep before he'd become an advisor here, especially to her brother.

But that mattered very little at the moment, aside from her brief mental note. Today was about accepting a new member into the pack, and she thought he'd fit the bill. "I believe we could use a man of your skills, Aro. We are lucky you happened by our mountain." The thunderclouds rolling in the distance spoke of the threat to come, and she yearned to find shelter before the threat was realized. "It will take time for you to become fully ingrained in the pack, but you are welcome. My brother, Scimitar, and his mate, Bazi, are the alphas here. The rest you will find out on your own." It was not a threat or a challenge, but Kaskara knew Aro would find his way around the pack eventually.

"Do you have any questions? I'd be happy to answer them while I give you a tour." She then let her lips part sightly in a smile, her mood lifted yet again at the thought of another body among theirs. True, he would probably not be very useful in a fight, but like Paar before him, he could heal the wolves if it ever came to that.
11 Posts
Ooc — Anthony
Seemed good to fade it here :)
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I should have more time for new threads now :P

Aro knew that he wouldn't be a very physically productive member of the pack, he had resigned to it a couple years ago when his hips had started giving him trouble, but he didn't mind. He had been a strong wolf in his youth, capable of taking down fierce and big opponents, but his biggest strength had always been his mind, not his muscles.

Kaskara expressed her conscent for having Aro as a member of the pack, and with a warm smile the elder bowed his head in greatfulness. Once again he would be able to perform his duty as Maester, the only thing that had ever made him feel complete.

Aro cautiously listened to all the information the Beta was offering him, making sure to remember the names he would need later on. He also made a mental note to meet the rest of the pack, but he wasn't eager to trow himself into a crowd of people, he wasn't that sociable. One by one he would get to know the inhabitants of this lovely place, and slowly he would get used to the life there.

The Maester followed Kaskara on the tour, making a couple questions as they came to mind, but overall everything was clear to him. All he needed now was finding a den for himself and he would be good to start looking around for useful plants, but that would have to wait until the storm had passed. The thunders in the far background roared fiercely, but it was safe to say that this place was now home.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
I'm going to post one more time to get to 10 replies. :)

Her wardening skills were rusty, but she had at least been able to practice on this newcomer. When he thanked her for letting him live on their peak, Kaskara smiled and howled into the dark and charged sky. She was letting everyone know of the newcomer, and thanking the gods for his presence. The storms were rising and she needed to get back to her niece and nephews, to her brother and his mate, to make sure all was right with the babes. But she did not skimp on the tour for Aro, nor did she ignore any of his questions. Kaskara may have been a blundering fool sometimes, but she knew when to mind her manners and do her duty.