Redtail Rise Quest Complete
49 Posts
Ooc —
tagging Reek, but AW :)

Oliver dragged his sore, tired carcass back to the rise, clutching a large bundle of nettle plants in his teeth. Remarkably, after spending some time thinking back on his mother's lesson about the plant, he'd actually been able to recall how to properly harvest the plant without getting stung. The nettle leaves and stems were coated in fine hairs that irritated the skin when contact was made, so he dug up the ground so he could pick the plant at it's root (totally bsing this, I have no idea how to pick nettles without gloves). Nettle roots were useful too, he'd learned, though he couldn't remember what for.

He set the plants down and triumphantly howled for @Reek.
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
A few days had passed since Reek had sent Oliver on his trial run to find nettle leaves, and he waited patiently for him to come back with his bounty while the bedraggled beta returned to his normal duties: Patrol and general laziness.  However, a part of him half-expected the newbie to never return.  Whatever, no big deal.  His absence would be no skin off Reek's teeth.  But nevertheless, Oliver's howl rang out in the distance and Reek set off once again toward the borders to investigate.  To see what he had brought with him.

"You did the thing!" he shouted as soon as Oliver was in eye-shot.  Reek took note of the clump of plants he had dropped to the ground... The whole plant.  Faking brilliant. Perhaps he had underestimated the abilities of the newbie before he sent him out into the world.  Maybe there was more to this kid than the eye could see.  "You can leave those here... I don't really need 'em."

Reek's expression twisted into a smug grin.  His task had simply been a test, nothing more, to which the newbie had passed with flying colors.  "It was sort of for shits and giggles... I mean, I've already got a bunch," he mused, beginning to laugh.  "But, I guess you're in." Reek extended a paw and placed it on Oliver's shoulder and began to speak, "By the power invested in me, blah blah blah—" insert awkward pause, "stuff."
49 Posts
Ooc —
Reek appeared in short order, and seemed pleasantly surprised that Oliver had been able to complete his task. The skinny wolf stuck his narrow chest out proudly. "It was nothing," he said, even as he felt like keeling over from exhaustion.

So when Reek told him he didn't even need the plants, Oliver's jaw went slack. "Wait...what?" he asked in a small voice, sounding as if on the verge of tears. All that work had been for nothing? Did that mean he wasn't going to get into the pack? Oliver was quiet for a moment, then caught Reek's smirk and cracked up. "Man, you're kind of a jerk," he told the other male through his laughter.

He'd passed the Beta male's test, and was made an official member of Retail Rise. Oliver's tail thwaped the ground. "I am honored," he said, playing along with Reek.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Short post is short, but I'm exhausted.

The newbie looked proud to accomplish his meaningless task, however his demeanor changed as soon as he realized it's true nature.  Once he realized that it was just a part of Reek's game, he looked so disappointed and Reek had trouble holding in the laughter that was beginning to build.  But after a while it seemed the kid finally got the joke and he began to laugh and so Reek laughed along too (however, it was still at the other's expense).

"Not a jerk, an asshole.  There's quite a difference, and if you're going to be living with us, you best learn that out,"  chortled Reek smugly.  Speaking of learn, Reek knew very little about the newbie that had completed his initiation.  He didn't even know his name.  "You gotta name kid?  Or will I have to call you newbie for as long as you stay here?"
49 Posts
Ooc —
it's fine :)

Oliver smirked when Reek corrected him. "Sorry, my mistake," he said. He barely knew the ragged man, but Oliver enjoyed his humor and could see himself making friends with him. He wondered if he and Saena would get along just as well...

Reek then asked him his name, and his smirk faltered. Socially awkward Oliver wasn't the best at introductions "It's Oliver," he answered. "And you're Reek, right?" he'd already heard Reek and Saena call each other by name, so he knew the answer, but whatever he'd ask anyway.

Suddenly, his stomach growled loudly, causing Oliver to grin sheepishly. "So, um, about that big hunk of meat..."
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Finally, the newbie had a name.  However, Reek didn't intend on using it until another new wolf decided to fill their ranks. The nickname stuck, and newbie he would remain.  Then Oliver correctly assumed Reek's name and the rangy beta replied curtly with a nod. "Come newbie, make haste," he cried while beckoning the newbie to follow him into pack territory for the first time, and possibly toward the caches (if Reek felt like it once they got there).

"About that meat..." he began in a mock ponderous tone. "I guess you've earned something— maybe small game."  Reek then turned on his heels, and took off in a sprint toward the caches, simultaneously hoping the newbie would have the gall to follow.
49 Posts
Ooc —
Oliver started to chase after Reek, then put on the brakes, doubled back to collect his plants (he went through so much trouble, Reek was gonna use them, dammit!) and ran to catch up to the Beta male. "You forgot your nettles!" he mumbled through a mouthful of plants. He playfully whipped Reek's rear end with the leaves.

As they walked, Oliver gawked around at his new home. "Where is everyone else?" He asked after they'd been walking for a while.