Porcupine Ridge All my life, I was never there
i know you're trying to fight when you feel like flying
184 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
All Welcome 
Familiarizing himself with the ridge would take many weeks, but Farstep meant to do it as quickly as he was able. From the point where he'd found Taggarik, he'd backtracked over the prospective alpha's tracks in the opposite direction, but had only covered two miles before he turned back. In those two miles, he'd seen many of the short spines that seemed to characterize the inner face of the ridge and had spotted at least one actual porcupine ambling along. He'd also heard the tapping of a woodpecker in the distance and had paused to listen for a while, only moving when he was satisfied that it was nothing threatening. Once along his two mile trek, the stale scent of a mountain lion's three day old scat met his nose, but with no other signs of a cat in the area, Farstep knew it must just have been passing through. Perhaps it was the same one he'd encountered at the basin of mud. The hair on his neck prickled but he moved on, unfazed.

When he turned back, he parted from Taggarik's trail of prints and headed higher up the slope, dodging miniature spires as he went. He moved up for about half an hour before the snow about fifty wolf-lengths away moved, and only then did his sharp eye catch the outline of the hare as it hopped nervously across the whitewashed ridge. He hadn't noticed his hunger before but the sight of prey made his stomach pinch and immediately he swept into a low crouch, tail held rigid and straight behind him as he crept forward.

He had noticed the hare too late to make a really stealthy approach, so as soon as it lifted its head and scanned the area with twitchy ears, the wolf broke into a run. He was a quick runner, reaching his top speed with an alarming immediacy, but the hare was too alert and got the jump on him. It tore off into a dense cluster of bushes that Farstep swung around, but the detour was enough to put the hare well out of his reach. He decelerated slowly until he was cantering with his tongue hanging out, half-hopeful that he would discover the hare resting if he kept going.

Maybe @Capriccio or @Terich-mir to meet pack mates? No obligation!
Messages In This Thread
All my life, I was never there - by Farstep - December 27, 2015, 09:54 PM
RE: All my life, I was never there - by Capriccio - December 29, 2015, 05:29 PM
RE: All my life, I was never there - by Farstep - December 29, 2015, 07:09 PM
RE: All my life, I was never there - by Capriccio - December 30, 2015, 08:11 AM
RE: All my life, I was never there - by Farstep - December 30, 2015, 09:34 AM
RE: All my life, I was never there - by Capriccio - December 30, 2015, 10:20 AM
RE: All my life, I was never there - by Farstep - December 30, 2015, 03:22 PM
RE: All my life, I was never there - by Capriccio - January 02, 2016, 04:08 PM
RE: All my life, I was never there - by Farstep - January 02, 2016, 07:38 PM
RE: All my life, I was never there - by Capriccio - January 03, 2016, 01:58 PM
RE: All my life, I was never there - by Farstep - January 03, 2016, 04:48 PM