Blacktail Deer Plateau All I ask of you
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
His mate concurred with him almost breathlessly, speaking honestly and even a bit tearfully. Those tears frightened Peregrine. Since when did Hawkeye cry? He'd never hold it against her if she did, of course, but it scared him because it was suddenly so clear how much they'd changed in the past month, entirely separately, and how different their relationship already was. It bothered him even more because, back in the day, he might've questioned those tears but he would've kissed them away; just now, he hesitated for several discomfited beats before reaching out to her.

"It does feel weird," he agreed in a whispered voice, much as he hated to admit it out loud. "I don't like that. It..." Peregrine trailed off, trying to search for the right words. Then, slowly, he said, "I'd never trade the kids for anything. But if we want to make this work, we both have to try harder. We can't neglect each other because of them; that won't work out well for anybody in the end. They deserve to have loving parents who love each other."

He thought of how he'd joked with Atticus about getting some and thought of asking Hawkeye if they could seek out a more private place and get intimate in the hope of rekindling their comatose romance. In the past, he never would've hesitated to try to get into his wife's metaphorical pants. But something stayed his tongue. He looked at her, strong but vulnerable, large but beautiful, and he just didn't feel that spark. That scared Peregrine more than anything else so far.

He didn't know what he should say instead but it turned out it didn't matter. Right then, a shaky, sharp howl rose into the air. It took Peregrine only half a second to place the voice. "That's Junior," he said quietly, his body going rigid. Osprey was no crier, so if she was calling out, she might have legitimately injured herself. Kisu was back there but they were her parents and Peregrine would never ignore the cry of his child.

His cool eyes sought his mate's and they exchanged a look. Peregrine's gaze looked torn, regretful and apologetic all at once. "I guess we'll have to discuss this later," he said in a thin, dry voice. He then turned from her and began to race home. He assumed Hawkeye would follow him, though perhaps not. Either way, their moment alone had been taken from them. They would just have to steal another some other day.
Messages In This Thread
All I ask of you - by Peregrine Redhawk - May 10, 2014, 03:15 PM
RE: All I ask of you - by Atticus - May 15, 2014, 11:58 AM
RE: All I ask of you - by Peregrine Redhawk - May 15, 2014, 03:15 PM
RE: All I ask of you - by Atticus - May 16, 2014, 10:29 PM
RE: All I ask of you - by Peregrine Redhawk - May 16, 2014, 10:36 PM
RE: All I ask of you - by Hawkeye - May 16, 2014, 10:56 PM
RE: All I ask of you - by Atticus - May 16, 2014, 11:26 PM
RE: All I ask of you - by Peregrine Redhawk - May 17, 2014, 01:05 PM
RE: All I ask of you - by Hawkeye - May 17, 2014, 11:38 PM
RE: All I ask of you - by Peregrine Redhawk - May 18, 2014, 10:22 AM