Blacktail Deer Plateau A slamming door and a lesson learned
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
@Lasher and Blue Willow! (Tag after haha)

If you all have time (I know you said you do but always anyway<3)

After his argument with Mordecai (well, his loss of temper maybe moreso), Dante knew he needed to find his Betas to let them know that Mordecai and Harlyn were gone. He held no regret for his actions whatsoever, even after a little time had passed. Mordecai's final words had indeed struck a nerve and it still twanged angrily, stopping any retrospection. There was sorrow in losing two capable members, but that was the length of it.

Unwilling to search the lands for a while, he sent a call requesting their presence. This was worth the summons and they deserved the knowledge as soon as possible. If either returned, they were not welcome within, and both Lasher and Blue needed to know why. He paced the trees near the edge of the rendezvous site as he waited, restless.

i was born to the witch boleyn
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
he had not shared many words with dante since the silver man's return, but had kept distance betwixt them, assuming that the moonkissed alpha wished time to gather his thoughts, to mend. the ash had sprouted with tiny green seedlings, and yet the beta had not seen osprey again, nor shar-kali, and his heart grieved for them both.

he lay in a half-doze among the growing bodies of his children, but came awake as the alpha's summons rose for himself and blue willow. glancing about for his mate, the earthen wolf set off at a brisk pace to attend dante, halting a few feet away with a single wave of his dark plume. he fixed his eyes upon the alpha, and was silent.
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
danni if you wish to feel free to drop in still whenever <3

Lasher was prompt in coming, and though Dante knew this news was important for all, he decided not to wait to start the discussion. He wasn't sure if Blue Willow was tied up and could find her later to inform. He was too agitated by the whole thing for patience, depicted clearly in his inability to sit calmly while waiting.

"Lasher," he greeted him, warmth in his voice but no smile. This was not glad news he delivered. Rather than mince words, he got straight to it. "Mordecai and Harlyn have chosen to leave us." He then stopped, allowing Lasher a moment to take that in before explaining fully. The anger still existed, and he did not bother to hide it in the words as he spoke. It was obvious the parting had not been amicable.
aiming for Warrior, Guardian, and Advisor specializations
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
dante's face was drawn, tension set in the handsome planes, and lasher's ears fell back to cup his skull. the reason for the alpha's words arrived soon enough; the beta shook his head, lips thinning into a grim line. mordecai had not only departed them; dante would not act in such a manner if the ostrega and the healer had not angered him in some way.

"what did they say?" taltos muttered, training his eyes briefly on the silver face. already he dreaded the answer, but he stood fast, awaiting it all the same.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante took a steadying breath when Lasher asked for the full of it, the thunderstorm within still coloring the encounter with a darker tone. He knew to speak too uncharitably of the duo would not be wise, but he couldn't stop the edge that clipped the words, angry and a bit derisive.

"That our conflict with the Caldera was too much to deal with, and their home here not worth what was spoken of in the meeting." His ears tipped back as he recalled the conversation. Had it been a simple matter of wishing to branch out, a desire to take charge of their own instead of follow, things would have been different. He would have been sorry to lose them still, yes, but not felt nearly so enraged. "Apparently this has been their plan for months, yet they chose to inform us only now." He wondered if Lasher would see this in the same light he did - as a betrayal of trust that had been freely and generously given.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
lasher gave a low growl at dante's words; mordecai had been a man whom the beta had trusted, with whom his children had played and hunted. such plans could have been laid before the feet of the leadership and accepted graciously -- dante, himself, and the willow were not unreasonable beasts. "traitors walk among good creatures always," he muttered, scuffing at the dirt beneath his paws aimlessly.

he wondered if the two would go to peregrine -- of course he would welcome them, defectors from the pack who so hated him, and that which the caldera loathed, in his mind. a long sigh escaped him; lasher glanced to his alpha. "i am sorry, dante," he murmured somberly.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
They were of a like mind, as was usual. Dante could only nod in agreement at his observation, black mood on the subject telling him to hold silence now. A weariness had taken hold in him as well, now that the news was given, and he had to extend some effort now in accepting the apology and formulating words to respond.

"We will be stronger for it," he finally said, tone sure but mind far less so. He did not doubt it was a good thing they had left, if they did not feel this their home, but now they were few. Many of the newcomers had yet to be established, and so many came and went like the wind. How long before only their triumvirate remained, before even the children had moved on to bigger things? It was a sad thought, but one he needed to consider moving forward. Yet he did not shy from the idea as much as he thought he would.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
a thought had been expanding in lasher's mind, one of rebirth and renewal, and with the abandonment of a warrior and aspiring medic, their ranks had dwindled further. there were not many joiners upon the borders as of late. he sidled toward the silver man, pressed his muzzle briefly against a hard-muscled shoulder in a show of silent solidarity.

"have you thought of relocating, dante?" the beta asked suddenly, words following one another in a tumble. "i love this place; it was here that i adored peregrine, blue willow. it was here that my children were born. but it is also a place of dismal memories and painful recollections," he added, casting a look over his shoulder in the direction of the burned area.

"if we removed ourselves, we might be able to breathe anew. no one need know where we have gone, save for saena; the children are old enough to travel. we could move to the north, farther from the caldera, into the lands yet unexplored. it would be a great undertaking, but it may revive our spirits."

as the last echoes of his words fell away, lasher sought dante's eyes, searching them for an answer he himself did not have.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
A relocation. The thought was one he had considered a time or two, but to hear it spoken aloud shocked him into silence a moment, any return gesture of affection stayed by pure surprise at the notion. He had figured it to be a sign of frustration for himself alone, the fleeting desire he'd had to move on, and assumed the others to be content here. Lasher was one of the last he thought to suggest such a thing, but this brought it once more into the realm of the possible.

He'd determined at the time the lands were not to blame, after some thought, for their situation. And he still did not know that he believed a move would magically solve any of the issues that occurred. In fact, it might be the final stroke to sever them. There was no telling what might occur and claiming a new territory was risky, difficult business. His mind couldn't comprehend right now what it might entail, or even where they might go. Nor did it wish to.

"I will think on it,"
he said quietly, now acknowledging the touch with one of his own in return. The words, despite his own reservations, were true. He would consider it and hoped that the Betas too would think some on the details of such a thing. It wasn't an undertaking he could make alone. "We would need the support of all, but who knows? Perhaps that is what we need." If it was what his family wanted, he would not refuse it of them. But his doubts remained that the nature of their problems could be solved by more distance.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
exultation beat in his breast, and was not quelled by dante's quiet words. the silver man had not condemned the idea outright -- he would consider it -- and lasher's mind began to search the memories of the places he had been, and ponder the safety and welcoming nature of the areas he had not yet explored. his shoulder gave a twinge then, as if to remind him of his middle-age. such a trek would toll his body, but it would be welcomed, if only to escape the sour air that had settled on the plateau as of late.

"no matter what is decided, this place will be loved forever." here was where the mother of saena and pura was buried; where memories had been created, etched indelibly into the earth. it would not be easy to leave behind this land, but perhaps it would be worthwhile in the end.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"It will."  There had been many bad moments, true, but so many more good ones.  Leaving would not be easy.  Not only were there memories here to hold - those lost, if they indeed still lived, likely would not know where to find them should they return.  He did not hold much hope for this, and it was not a conscious reason to stay.  Yet it was one of a few hesitations he held.

"Thank you." The man's support meant a great deal. He hadn't been sure how the news of Mordecai and Harlyn would be taken and was glad Lasher did not lay blame at his feet. He hadn't expected it of course but one could never truly tell what lay in another's mind until they revealed it.
aiming for Warrior, Guardian, and Advisor specializations
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
"of course, dante. you have done well by us and i trust in your decisions," lasher rejoined quietly, meaning each word. his thoughts traversed inexplicably then to caiaphas, queen of the amazons' strand -- he had not heard of her since his jarring conversation with the bird upon the sand, yet in his heart he wished her well.

his mind tested the lingering ache in his hips, the base of his spine; he wondered if he was not too old to trek the unexplored lands in search of a place for the blacktail wolves, should they choose to relocate. swiftly and silently was his wish, if the gunmetal man so consented.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
wrap?

He heard the heartfelt sincerity in Lasher's words and it heartened him in turn.  Even if he felt he'd failed on multiple accounts, it could at least be said he had helped to build something here.  And that he had done his best in all.

"Join me in a hunt?" He asked suddenly, ready to leave this heavy talk behind and share in some time otherwise occupied. It had been a long time since they had hunted together.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
yes <3

the man nodded, flexing his dark-hued legs with a smile. "it would be my pleasure," reaching to nudge dante briefly, the beta fell into step with his leader, and turned their talk to lighter things as they searched for their prey.