Blacktail Deer Plateau PACK HUNT β€” Let nothing come between this and me
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
This is an optional pack hunt. Rounds are open and will last four days. This activity will count toward EXP. :)

Peregrine spent the morning herding blacktail deer as orange light broke over the horizon, casting everything in a molten glow. His breath streamed from him in a silvery cloud as he ran back and forth through the wood, positioning them where he wanted them. Satisfied with his work, he then galloped to the other end of the plateau, sending quiet yips into the air as he went to alert his pack mates of the opportunity. He needed to wrangle at least a handful of them for the hunt.

The swarthy male then circled back, sides heaving as he stood tall and proud just beyond the range of the grazing deer. His tail waved slowly and he licked his chops as he waited for his wolves to arrive and gather 'round him. Soon, they would combine forces to bring down fresh meat for the pack and Peregrine would really prove himself as the pack's new guardian, hunter and Alpha male.
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness, I am stronger than you know.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue Willow heard the yips and though she was unsure if she could help having never brought down anything larger than a rabbit, she knew she had to at least try. Peregrine knew very well that she was not very good at hunting large game, so she was sure he would be able to help her find something to do to help.

She let out a yip in return letting him know she was coming to help and trotted towards his scent. She arrived and showing her submission to the newest Alpha male she waited for his orders. "Hello Perry She hoped that it was still what he wanted to be called if he wanted something different she would be sure to accomodate, she was happy for him and her alpha female. Having one you loved was always wonderful.
18 Posts
Ooc — Amy
Why was his damn rest always interrupted!? Kuno lifted his head from his paws and let out a small huff. The new alpha male, Peregrine, was calling for a pack. He wanted to hunt, wanting to feel at least somewhat useful until the time came when he could show his strength in battle. His small disability would make both difficult to do, but he would manage. He had sparred with Peregrine, and though he took more than he dealt, he was proud of his remaining abilities. After all, he would only improve with practice. The male heaved himself up, heading following the scent and sound of the other male. If it was a hunt he wanted, it was a hunt he would get.

Eventually, Kuno caught up, and was pleased to see Blue Willow was joining the hunt as well. This was to be the third time he encountered the female, and was hoping it wouldn't be the last. Having received a glimpse of her personality, he craved to see more. Although he was not sure if this was his wicked personality shining through or something else, it was something he so dearly wanted to see. He had a feeling this wolf could help him forget his scars and blindness and recover from the fear and hate of the past. It was only a matter of time.

Kuno glanced between the two wolves, wondering if they were the only ones who were to be hunting today, or if more were on the way. He could scent deer, and quite a few of them. The alpha had done a bit of work rounding them up, he didn't recall this many being together in the time he had been in the pack. This hunt was certainly something he was looking forward to now.

set by Emy

<font style="font-family:helvetica; font-size:12.5px; color:#4B0082;">Each of us can only deal with what’s in front of us.</font><p><I>Avatar by STEVIE!! :)</i>
561 Posts
Ooc — Sam
Hawkeye flew through the forest as soon as she dumbly realized that Peregrine had called. Hoping she was the first one to arrive, she was slightly disappointed that Kuno and Blue Willow had come before her. She nodded to Kuno and the female he sat beside.

Approaching Peregrine's side, she bumped her forehead to his cheek. "I see you have been busy rounding up the herd. There are more than I figured; this is good news for the pack."

The dark she-wolf was excited to hunt big game; her skills were well-practiced in the way of killing. Her large form made her slower than others, but her preciseness in striking was unrivaled.
sorry for party rockin'
133 Posts
Ooc — Emy
Though partially incompetent in the way of hunting Ariston wasn't one to shy away from opportunity. He craved a place in the world...recognition among the faces that made up his pack. Putting himself out there, regardless of potential embarrassment, was the surest way to solidify his relationships with his peers.

He arrived as one of the latter wolves and made his approach with calm, steady steps that belied the nervous fluttering of his heart. Of all the canines he found only one of them to be a stranger - a comforting realization for sure - and he paused within the confines of the group and chuffed to them as a whole in lieu of worded greetings.

set by Emy

3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Only four wolves responded to Peregrine's call to arms: Blue Willow, Kuno, Hawkeye and Ariston. The Alpha male regarded each of them with appreciation and respect, nodding his swarthy head and waving his tail in approval. Hawkeye already possessed his heart in a way no one else ever would but the other three would be lifted in Peregrine's eyes today. As far as he was concerned, they were the most useful members of the pack and, in days to come, their ranks would reflect that.

Stepping into the space beside his mate, Peregrine nipped at her cheeks and growled wordless love notes in her ear, then refocused his attention on the matter at hand by addressing their three subordinates. "Thanks for coming. You will be rewarded for acknowledging your Alpha's call..."

"Now, since there's five of us, we'll need two chasers and three attackers." Another leader may have let them choose their roles but, as a seasoned hunter, Peregrine knew best where everyone would fit into the scheme of things. "You and you," he said, dusky eyes flicking to Blue Willow and Ariston. "You'll be the chasers. After Kuno, Hawkeye and myself have hidden, you will reveal yourselves to the herd and chase them in our direction. We'll ambush our lucky target."

"We," he continued, talking to Hawkeye and Kuno now, "will range around the other side of the herd and position ourselves along a line. When the chasers drive the target toward us, we'll move to close. I'll be in the middle position. You take the left," he instructed Kuno, "and you..." He nudged Hawkeye's muzzle, "you'll be the wind beneath my right wing." This he whispered so only she could hear; nobody else needed to be privy to Peregrine's sappiness.

Turning to address them as a group again, Peregrine said, "Any questions? Concerns? If not, let's get to it."
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue Willow had no questions or concerns. She stood at the commands given and waited to begin chasing. This much she knew she could handle and with the help of the other male, that she had yet to meet personally, Ariston she thought she had heard his name, but could be wrong. She had been happy to see Kuno come to the call of Peregrine. She hoped that she would not mess this up, being this her first hunt of big game and all. She was beginning to get excited, she was sure it was the adrenaline of her wolf blood pumping, but she was antsy to get started. She would wait for the final command to begin once the other three were in position to attack.
18 Posts
Ooc — Amy
Kuno gave a nod to Hawkeye as she came in, sitting with Peregrine. Seeing the familiar white wolf also relaxed him a bit. He was familiar with all the wolves, and therefore wouldn't have to worry about the past repeating itself. When it became clear no one else was coming, The plan was laid out. Kuno didn't have any problems, and was glad he was to be on the left side of the target. That would keep the poor animal on the side he actually had sight in.

Kuno waited to see if anyone else had anything to say, his paws now itching to start. He wanted desperately to show that despite being handicapped, he was still useful. Not only did he want to prove this to his alphas, but to himself. He gave a quick glance to Blue. She seemed just as eager to get started as he was, which made him chuckle a bit to himself. This would certainly be an interesting hunt.

set by Emy

sorry for party rockin'
133 Posts
Ooc — Emy
Ariston considered himself most fortunate that Peregrine was already well aware of his lack luster skills of hunting prey on land. He was offered a role more suited to beginners, one not typical of his combined physical stature and health, but he accepted the task with a satisfied nod. He then looked to his partner, a soot colored female, and smiled in encouragement as a potpourri of excitement and trepidation swirled on her subdued features.

"Let's do this," he murmured softly to acknowledge Peregrine's final sentiment before turning and padding to Blue Willow's side in order to wait for their cue.

set by Emy

<font style="font-family:helvetica; font-size:12.5px; color:#4B0082;">Each of us can only deal with what’s in front of us.</font><p><I>Avatar by STEVIE!! :)</i>
561 Posts
Ooc — Sam
Hawkeye nearly giggled at the dorky sweetness of Peregrine's words. She was happy that she would be one of the attackers; speed was not one of her attributes due to her size, but she was confident in the precision she had while killing. Her eyes never let her down in that aspect.

"Alright, let's go then!" She finalized everyone's words with her own, showing that she was a leader in this as well.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Everyone seemed clear on his instructions, so it was time to get underway. "All right, you two," Peregrine said to Ariston and Blue Willow, "hang back and give us fifteen minutes to get into position. Make sure to make lots of noise; we need to hear you just as much as the deer do."

Swinging around, he motioned for Hawkeye and Kuno to follow him as he led them on a wide arc around to the other side of the herd. En route, he inspected the various individuals to select a hopeful target. Truth be told, they would go after whichever deer fell most accurately into the trap they laid, yet Peregrine would do his best to put himself and his fellow attackers in position to herd his choice prey.

"Hey," he said after Kuno had moved off to his spot but before Hawkeye had a chance to go to hers. The three of them would form a sort of line the deer would be forced to cross. "Let's beast this thing. P.S. You're hot." He snickered and then loped off a ways, screening himself behind some brush and keeping his dusky eyes fixed on the herd even as he hunkered down to wait.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue Willow smiled one last time at Ariston, offered a smile to both her alpha's and Kuno and she went into position. She waited the allotted 15 minutes and for her fellow pack mate to get in place beside her. She whispered quietly, "You ready? With a small quiet laugh she let instinct take over and she went after the herd, heading them towards her other pack mates.
sorry for party rockin'
133 Posts
Ooc — Emy
"Ready Freddy," he murmured under his breath at Willow's quiet invocation. Her sudden start made his first steps falter from the surprise but he was quick to cinch the flaccid swinging of his limbs...pulling his shoulders tight to brace for the more sure footed leap that landed him square at the huntress's side. Ax matched his pace to hers, their footsteps drumming in harmony, and when they burst from the foliage the unrelenting coordination of their approach was a thing of savage beauty.

The ungulates wheeled and the sliver of silence preceding their retreat fell away to the bellow of terrified prey. The world was suddenly alive around him and he felt invigorated by the cries of their horror; his jaws parted and he unleashed a fearsome roar from his chest that both spurred on the herd's retreat and alerted the ambush party that they were well on their way.

set by Emy

561 Posts
Ooc — Sam
Hawkeye shushed Peregrine, urging him to focus on the hunt. She was getting hungry, and with hunger came agitation.

The desire to show her pack that she was an excellent striker also came, and she wanted to focus as well. If she was not fully attentive to what was going on, she might make an error and look like a moron in front of the members that had come along for the trip.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
I power played a bit toward the end. I hope no one minds. :)

The three larger wolves lay in wait. In Peregrine's case, his every muscle twitched with anticipation as he waited for Blue Willow and Ariston to play their part, pushing the herd toward the ambushers. He panted, shifting restlessly, his eyes, ears and nose all tuned to the finest pitch.

Finally, they came in a thunder of hooves and frantic bleats. Peregrine heard them before he saw them, though the deer quickly fled within visual range. He waited until just the right moment, then sprang out of the brush, launching himself at a doe that had veered in between himself and Hawkeye's position.

Go get her! his eyes said as the mated pair briefly made eye contact before they crashed into her from either side. Peregrine's jaws sank deep into the deer's shoulders and he went limp, his body weight dragging downward to slow her forward momentum. This would allow Hawkeye, Kuno and the others to overtake their prey and bring her down to the ground.
561 Posts
Ooc — Sam
Hawkeye shot forward, momentum pounding with her body. She launched herself upward and slammed her teeth into the neck of the deer. The black wolf knocked the wind out of herself while taking down the the animal with Peregrine's help of slowing the beast down.

Her heavy weight had sent them crashing into the snow, creating a small snowstorm around them.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
I am assuming that this will be my last post and Peregrine or hawkeye will wrap up the thread? Let me know if not please :)

Blue Willow continued chasing them, being mindful to stay out of the way of flailing hooves and shaking heads and as she yipped at their shoulders back legs she watched as her two alphas jumped into action followed by Kuno and she stayed back a ways still forcing the chase, but allowing them to perform their duty now, as hers was done, but she would take a bit out of the prey if needed.
sorry for party rockin'
133 Posts
Ooc — Emy
The explosion of wolves from the underbrush was impressive and, with the sound of shrill bleating filling the air, a huge success. Ariston wheeled off to the side to avoid tangling himself in the fray of alpha wolves as they fell against an unfortunate victim; he was entirely breathless and thus of little use in wrestling their bounty. Fortunately Peregrine and Hawkeye were both capable veterans of the hunt and did not require him. Wheezing somewhat, but recovering with youthful aptitude, he settled on his haunches and watched the short melee with interest flicking in his eyes.

set by Emy

3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
You're all welcome to post one last time or just leave it here. I'll archive this in a few days. :)

In only a few moments' time, the deer lay on the ground, her struggles coming to an end as Hawkeye's fangs sought and drained the fount of lifeblood in the doe's throat. Almost as soon as the carcass settled in the snow, the Alpha male reared his head and warned the others away from the kill with a throaty growl—all but Hawkeye, of course, whom he favored with an admiring lick and a whispered, "Good kill, babe."

Turning to face the trio of subordinates, Peregrine gave them a stony look. "She eats first," he told them imperiously, "and myself after her. You're then welcome to eat according to your rank." His ears pinned back to show them he meant serious business and that any attempts to feed early would be met with his savage teeth. "There's plenty to go around," he added finally. All five would leave the site with full bellies, with plenty left to cache for later.

Before he turned to oversee his mate's meal and join her, the Alpha's gaze swept his three other pack mates once more. "You've all done an excellent job," he told them, making sure to meet each of their gazes and wave his tail approvingly. Peregrine then turned, pinned a swarthy paw against the deer's haunch and ripped into the meat with ravenous, feral gusto.

Current time: April 28, 2024, 02:58 AM Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2024 MyBB Group.