Northstar Vale Wilder Mind
Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Private 

Scarlett trotted further up the mountain as the winds tugged on her fur. She knew that she would need to find some refuge soon with all these winds. Luckily the female was family with these mountains and a valley should be around here. The pale female made haste as an autumn storm seemed to be coming up. Scarlett had the idea of visiting some old friends at the plateau. She hadn't seen Koda and Kesuk in so long! And then there was Blue Willow, and even Osprey. She knew quite a few wolves in that pack. Still she wasn't sure if they moved on or not. Scarlett hoped they wouldn't hence the travels, but it seemed she would have to take a break in the valley.

Her small body made her way down into the vale as the rain was starting to come down. It wasn't that she minded rain, it was just that the mountains would be so slippery and terribly dangerous. With the heavy rains also came a lack of vision. She moved into the forest for shelter. She was shocked to see how many trees had fallen over. Like a giant wolf had pushed them over. Then she realized the horrible storm when her babies were only a few weeks old. The storm seemed to have done a lot of damage in this valley. Scarlett was relieved that this didn't happen in Bearclaw Valley at the time. She might not have been alive. The pale female tried to find some shelter under a few fallen trees that were still half suspended because some of the bigger tree were still standing. Her red eyes looking at the sky that clearly was starting to pour out all of its worth.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Steady had been mostly bound within the bordered of Silvertip Mountain since joining, except for the one excursion he went on to hunt down that cougar. He very much liked his new home, and hadn't really felt the need to explore the area outside, until now. He knew he wouldn't go too far, but his adventure bone was itching and he decided today was a good day to scratch it.

He could feel the storm brewing, but he decided not to let it deter her. He rather enjoyed the rain pelting his body, cleansing him, renewing him. He lazily strolled through the forest he had come upon after descending the mountain. The rain washed away any scents that might have been there, and so he hadn't noticed she was there until he was upon her. He stilled, his tail held neutral, his head slightly lowered, part with the weight of his wet fur, and part to protect his neck if she decided to attack.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.

Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Scarlett decided that she might as well rest in the only dry place. Her white body curling up and head resting. She was almost going to close her eyes until she realized there was someone standing before her. He was big and dark of color. Instantly a wave of panic went through her. Most of Black Feather wolves were black, maybe one came to kill her. She jumped up, not wanting to lay down to make the male see her as even more of a prey. Though once she was standing her height wasn't that impressive at all. She bumped her head in the process too.

Scarlett's insecure red eyes stared at him. Then she realized that the male was protecting himself too by holding his head like that. Scarlett stepped back still, head low and eyes still on him. Maybe her red eyes would unnerve him. Her tail almost lodged between her paws. She wasn't really a hero, she had never been too scared while she was traveling but lately, bad things seem to happen to her. She seemed to relax a bit once she realized that his tail was neutral. What a tense meeting. "Um.. Hello," she let out awkwardly, mostly because she was ashamed how scared she must have looked.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He may have froze, but she startled, jumping up and hitting her head on the dead tree above her. He winced, his own head hurting for her. She stilled after that, seemingly nervous. He caught a glimpse of her eyes, a shining red against her white pelt. They were captivating, but he was too respectful to stare.

She said hello, and his ears perked, his gaze going to hers once more. Hey, I'm sorry to have scared you. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going, he said apologetically. He sat back on his haunches, the rain still coming down, though he was partially covered by the forest canopy. It wasn't much, but it was something.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~

Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Scarlett relaxed once the male sat down and returned some words to her. The male seemed friendly which was more than she could expect from any wolf right now. "It is ... okay," she let out because she wasn't going to be mad about it anyways. She was not that type of girl. "I just saw a big dark shadow coming towards me and I just... freaked out too soon," she admitted feeling a bit embarrassed.

Scarlett worried her bottom lip for a moment with her teeth before she gave him another good look. "If you are not going to hurt me you can take some shelter here too," she spoke, which was such a naive thing to say. The girl luckily wasn't thinking about it too much. She was a very trusting female after all.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He could see her relax, and Steady was glad for it. He didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable. He nodded his understanding about how she got freaked out. Again, completely my fault, he said with empathy. I usually know what's ahead of me when I'm walking. It's a wonder how I didn't walk right into a tree, he said with a grin, trying to lighten the situation a little.

She offered him shelter with her, with the condition that he wouldn't hurt her. I assure you, I won't hurt you, he promised. He hesitated a moment to give her the chance to change her mind before he slowly moved in beside her, hunching his body to fit in the small space. He laid down on his belly, his paws and tail tucked as much as was possible for his large frame. Thank you, he said, his gaze moving to her. For a moment, he allowed himself to study her eyes. He had never even heard of a wolf having red eyes, let alone meeting one. Knowing he was being rude, he adjusted his gaze to look out at the woods surrounding them. I'm Steady, by the way, he introduced himself.

Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Scarlett had to laugh a bit at his comment and relaxed more. He was a bit of a joker too, how fun. Scarlett scooted more to the side to give the big male some room to lie down too. "I'm glad you won't hurt me. That wouldn't be very convenient," she admitted. Scarlett felt a bit awkward. The last time she was so close to a male it was when she was still in love with her mate. Now she was alone and rained down. She eyed at the male next to her. He was big, and young. Scarlett quickly pushed that thought away.

"I'm Scarlett," she greeted in return. She noticed that he wanted to look at her eyes but he was polite enough to do so. "You can look. I mean, others always look at my weird eyes," she muttered and then battered her warm red colored orbs at him. She then even smiled at him a bit. She was never very proud of her eyes, they were the reason why she was bullied so much in her family pack. Luckily she never had to experience that again. Wolves were much more accepting here. "Are you in a pack?"
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He liked her laugh, partly because it let him know she was beginning to relax with him. She even shifted over a little to give him some room. He tried not to take up too much room, since this was her spot, after all. He grinned at her somewhat joke. No, I'm sure it wouldn't, he said playfully.

She caught him looking, but didn't seem to be offended by it. Still, he didn't want to be rude. They're unique, not weird, he corrected her. She was not weird at all, at least not to him. He caught her smile, and returned one of his own, capturing her gaze. No, not weird at all, he said softly. He almost got up the courage to tell her he thought she was beautiful, but didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable.

He nodded when she asked if he was in a pack. Yeah, Silvertip Mountain. My brother is the Alpha there, along with his mate, he replied. What about you? he inquired.

Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Scarlett decided that she had nothing to be scared off. The female was starting to get fully relaxed and then hummed softly. She was glad to know that. The male confirmed it a few times now so she didn't feel threatened anymore. She looked away a bit shyly at the compliment. She took it as a compliment. "Thank you," she spoke, she would have blushed.

Her ears turned towards him. "I haven't heard of that pack!," she returned, but it had been a long time since she had traveled all around Teekon. Then she got get kids and well, after that her days of traveling were gone. She always wanted to be a mother and have the perfect picture with a loving mate. But none of that happened. She was another though, and it was far more tough than she imagined. Oh well.

"I am in Phoenix Maplewoods now. Behind these mountains. I also ran a pack before, but yeah, that failed. I wasn't so good at it," she explained with a bit of embarrassment. She wasn't even sure why she said all of that. Maybe to show him what kind of female she was, not a very dominant that is. "Isn't it weird to have your brother as the alpha? Or aren't ranks that important in your pack?," she asked curiously.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He smiled when she thanked him, but he didn't say anything else. He got the feeling she didn't get compliments very often. Or, maybe she did, but her shy nature made her seem more innocent.

She hadn't heard of his pack, and he hadn't heard of hers. I haven't heard of Phoenix Maplewood, either, he admitted. Where is it from here? he asked. She confessed she had led a pack, and his ears perked in interest. What happened? he asked when she said she had failed at it.

He shook his head when she asked if it was weird. No, not really weird, I guess. Ranks are important, and I make sure to respect him and his, but aside from that, we have a friendship. He hoped that made sense. So far, there had not been an issue between him and Fitz, and he hoped it would stay that way.

Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Scarlett looked around to tell the right direction of her pack lands. "They are West from here, or no, North-West," she corrected. She liked the maplewood pack. But in the beginning she liked all packs. Duskfire and Bearclaw, in the end they all failed her. Scarlett didn't have such a great past. She looked at her paws. "My mate just left while I was pregnant, he came back when I was close to giving birth and after that he left again. I had to run the pack and there was this other male ... he liked me but only wanted to be alpha if I would be his mate and.. It wasn't fun," she spoke in a soft whisper. She tried to love him but she couldn't switch it on or off. "In the end it didn't work," she explained.

She nodded softly. Steady didn't seem like the guy that would overthrow his brother for more power. He seemed like a loyal guy. Scarlett liked his calm nature, and was relaxed now. She shouldn't have startled herself so much by only seeing his big frame. "That is nice. I'm glad. In the good packs you have a friendship with the alpha," she agreed on him.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Steady looked in the direction in which Scarlett said her pack was. He hmmed before suggesting, Isn't that northeast? he asked. He could be wrong, but he thought he was right. Silvertip is the other way, north... West? He was fairly certain he was right, but stranger things have happened than him being wrong.

He was quiet as she told her story, frowning sorrow. He couldn't understand why a male would leave his family, not once, but twice. And then she had a potential co-Alpha, but it hadn't worked out. I'm so sorry to hear that. A male is a coward if he leaves his family for no good reason, he said, his voice strong in his conviction. And, then, what kind of male gave her an ultimatum like, Be my mate, or I won't help you run the pack. As for the other one... He's a coward, too, if he can't step up to help the pack, no matter your mateship status. He was blunt, and honest, because those kind of males were some of the lowest kind to Steady, and he simply did not tolerate them.

He nodded, I agree. Alphas should be respected, of course, but the pack becomes stronger, more close-knit, when the leaders aren't all business all the time. They were family, after all, and Steady sort of expected some similarity among them, regardless of ranks. Providing, of course, respect was still given by all. That's what made the difference.

Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Scarlett blinked and looked over her shoulder. "Yes! Sorry you are right. My bad," she returned. She hadn't traveled in a very long time if she couldn't separate east form west. She tipped her head. "I see everything above the mountains north, and under it south. So if the mountain is on the other side of this range I would call it south west perhaps," she admitted and then smiled lightly at him. This guy wasn't bad at all. Scarlett even enjoyed talking to him.

Scarlett's ears fell back. "Well, he said it was a good reason?," she offered. "Apparently his sister returned, who they thought was dead. But I was in my last month of pregnancy and I needed someone to hunt for me. I could have died," those last words made her sound so small. She battered her red eyes at him, and later on she was left again and had to deal with Raziel. It was so much trouble. "Yeah, maybe they are," she whispered. "But it still didn't make my life any easier. I thought when you would have a mate you would things together and love each other..."

Scarlett nodded softly. "I think so too," she returned and quirked up her lips. "So your brother isn't all business then?," she inquired. Saena was mostly all business, though Scarlett did feel she could go to her alpha and do something fun. Maybe, or maybe she wouldn't.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He gave a sheepish smile as she admitted her mistake. He didn't usually correct others, but knowing one's direction was a very important thing. He tilted his head as she explained how she managed her directions. It confused him, but if it worked for her, then so be it. Interesting, was all he said, with a smile.

His stance, however, would not change on the males she was speaking of. The excuse her mate had given was a poor one, in Steady's opinion. I was missing my sister, as well, when we got separated while traveling. I had no idea what, if anything, had happened to her. But, instead of leaving, I enlisted the help of a friend to go and find her. Leaving a mate in her last month of pregnancy would never be the answer to his predicament. If he knew his sister was alive, that should have been enough to ease his mind until his family was taken care of. The conviction was strong in his voice, but he was careful not to raise it. He didn't want to scare her. Mates are supposed to stand by each other, he said softly, thinking of Mason and June's mother. She had left them when they, and Fitz, had needed her most. What was with wolves these days? Did committed mean nothing anymore?

He shrugged at her question. Well, he is... And he isn't. He seems to know when it's okay to just be one of the pack, and when it's time to be a leader. That wasn't exactly something you could teach easily. It came with experience. Fitz had a good head on his shoulders, and a lot of common sense. Steady was proud to follow him.

Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Scarlett's ears fell back as Steady kinda made her feel worse when he spoke about his opinion that Kove had left her for a month. She worried her bottom lip for a moment and glanced at Steady. "I guess you are right," she muttered to him. It only made her distain for Kove leaving her worse. The wolves around her didn't seem to approve of his behavior even though Scarlett wanted to think of it as justified. Scarlett felt slightly sick when thinking back at it. Maybe she had been too nice, yet on the other side she hated their break up. Maybe she didn't deserve that kind of mate.

Her ears now hung more to the side as she glanced at the other, rain still coming down. "He sounds like a good leader," she spoke. "I'm glad that you feel at home in your brother's pack without feeling too much rivalry. Sometimes that could also stain a family," she returned. She tried to smile a bit and not be such a downer.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Steady could tell he wasn't making Scarlett feel better. In fact, he could swear he made her feel worse, which made him feel horrible. I'm sorry, Scarlett. Sometimes I can be strong in my opinions, and I just don't know when to shut up, he said, apologizing. He hoped he hadn't completely ruined this meeting.

He nodded in agreement with her. Yeah, I think so, he said easily. He could also concur with her next statement, as well, nodding again. Yes, it can. Maybe if I was a different wolf and was hell bent on leading, it could cause some problems. And maybe if Fitz was a harder leader who liked to push his weight around just because.... He trailed of, trying to imagine what their lives might be if they were opposites. He shook his head, and smiled at her. I'm thankful were not those wolves. While Steady might one day want to try his paw at leading a pack, he was very content to support his brother in his leadership. Besides, he wouldn't seriously start thinking of his own pack until he had his own family, and that seemed eons away.

Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
She shook her head. "No no! It is fine! It is just that I realized that you were right, and the truth isn't always the nicest thing to hear. It is just a sad thought that I had a mate that was like this. Not sure why I deserved that," she admitted and glanced away. That sounded sad again. This Steady must probably think that she was some depressive wolf to be around. She was normally so positive. That was how she was before her whole relationship failed.

Scarlett placed her head down on her paws, the rain was becoming less, only the winder still tugging on the trees around them. She yawned. "Would it be okay if I took a nap?," she asked. Scarlett was so naive in trusting strangers. She barely talked to this man really, but Scarlett liked to think that he was a goodguy. "Not that you aren't interesting! you are! But.. I'm tired," she admitted, feeling awkward now. She didn't want to insult him.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
She confessed that she thought he was right, but she couldn't understand why she had deserved to come second to anyone else. Steady shook his head. You didn't deserve it, he said softly, his voice just loud enough to be heard over the falling rain. Bad things happen to good wolves, not because they deserve it, but just because bad wolves exist. He hoped that made sense. He didn't think less of the female he had just met because another male had chosen to treat her badly. He hoped, though, that she realized she didn't deserve that.

He was a little surprised that she was asking if he minded if she took a nap. Had she had a long day? He shook his head. No, I don't mind at all. I'll keep a look out while you rest, if you like, he offered, ever the gentlewolf. He chuckled when she tried to tell him he wasn't boring. No worries, he said easily.

Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Scarlett was grateful for his words. They did her better than the last, even though she didn't saw Kove as a bad guy maybe he was one after all this time. The light female disliked to think of him as bad. Still it made her think of how other wolves were treating her. "Thank you Steady," she spoke, a more in general thank you for all of his words. She then rested her head down, she was travel worn and Steady would keep watch. She closed her eyes trusting him in this moment.

Her trust was not broken because once she woke up the storm was gone and the first rays of daylight were seeping in. Scarlett wanted to thank him again, so she stayed laying there for a moment enjoying the morning sun. She decided that Steady was her new friend.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He smiled when she thanked him, nodding in appreciation, but didn't say anything else as he watched her lay her head down and go to sleep. Steady sat up, and for the most part, kept an eye out for anything unusual or threatening. But, every once in a while, he couldn't help but look over at Scarlett and imagine what it would be like to have a mate to look over. While Steady was ready for the responsibility, it seemed fate had other things in mind for him.

The rain eventually gave way to the sun. Steady knew when Scarlett's breathing changed, indicating she was waking. He made sure he wasn't looking at her then, not wanting to make her feel uncomfortable. Instead, his gaze looked out among the trees, the birds and squirrels coming out of their hiding spots and beginning to make noise as they scattered about.

Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Scarlett stretched her legs a bit before glancing at Steady. He was still awake. Her red eyes looked around at the valley, which was actually cute beautiful. She pulled herself from the shelter and shook herself out. "I think I can travel some more now," she smiled kindly. Her white coat shining in the sunlight. She wasn't sure if she wanted to say goodbye yet. Steady was really nice. "In which direction do you need to travel?," she questioned, kind of hinting at a possibly that they could travel together.

Scarlett always liked to make new friends and it seemed that Steady was becoming one in her eyes. She liked it better than being alone. Traveling could be fun but traveling together was definitely more fun and more interactive.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He allowed his gaze to move to her when she started to move, returning her smile as she said she was ready to travel more. If she had admitted aloud she didn't want to say goodbye yet, he would have mirrored the sentiment. They had just met, but there was an instant connection, chemistry. At least, for him there was. It was interesting to him. This morning, he wouldn't have imagined meeting a new friend.

She asked which was he was going, and he pointed his nose northwest. Home is that way, he said, before looking back at her. Do you have to head home? he asked. He remembered she said her pack was in the opposite direction of his, so if she said yes, they would have to part ways. Steady had been gone all day, which he hadn't done since joining his brother's pack, and he didn't want them to worry by being gone any longer than he had to. Still, he kind of hoped she had a reason to head the same way he was.

Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Scarlett looked at the big dark colored male and quirked up her lips as he pointed out his direction. "Great!," she smiled to him. "I am traveling to Blacktailed Deer Plateau," she spoke with a hum, which meant they could still chat and hang out. Scarlet got to her feet, shook out her fur and then stretched herself. It was cute to see since it was clearly a whole ritual. She was going to travel in the same direction as him, and it was making her feel much safer for now.

Steady seemed like the guy that would protect her even though they just knew each other. In that aspect he reminded her a bit of Kove, he protected her too from the start. He had been so kind, in the end he wasn't, but hopefully that wasn't the case with Steady. "Ready to walk?," she offered.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
His ears perked and his eyes widened when she said she was heading in the same direction as he. Great! he said with a smile. Steady nodded when she asked if he was ready. Yup! He set off, matching his pace with hers.

So, what's in Blacktailed Deer Plateau for you? he asked, hoping the question wasn't too prying. He remembered she said her home was in the opposite direction they were traveling, and he was curious as to why she was going. But, he knew it wouldn't be any of his business, and if she said so, he would take it graciously.

Mama Bear
1,006 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Scarlett was pretty stoked too that she had a travel buddy now. "Well there are some friends of mine in that pack, old friends. I haven't talked to them much but I'd like to visit them," she explained without even thinking that the question could be intruding her privacy. She didn't mind sharing that with the male. "And you know to explore at bit. I have been in my packlands for so long, a change of scenery," she hummed.

Scarlett kept to his pace, though him having a bigger body she did have to trot a bit faster than normal, she did't mind. "Though I can't take too long because I still have little ones back home," she then replied.