Can I skip someone in the post order?
4 Posts
Ooc — Is
So much has changed since I lasted played RPGs ten years ago. I have a few questions. The first, I understand that new etiquette says that when Bill, Bob, Pam, and Sue are playing in a thread (originally posting in that order), that it should be continued. However, I was wondering what the etiquette was if Bob's character happens to ask Sue's a question? Does Pam have to post before Sue can?

Also, I've come across a few terms I'm not at all able to find the definitions to. They are Threadlog, Pawprints, (not used here but thought I'd ask) Storybooks. Could someone please define at least the first two for me please?

Also, while I'm at it, I was mildly concerned about graphics. In popular animal sim games I play, it is law that all photos, brushes, and related material be properly credited and copyright free. I haven't seen that evidenced here, so I must ask, what are Wolf's regulations on graphics, copyright, and crediting?
incautious red wrecking ball amwelles · amwelles
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
Quote:The first, I understand that new etiquette says that when Bill, Bob, Pam, and Sue are playing in a thread (originally posting in that order), that it should be continued. However, I was wondering what the etiquette was if Bob's character happens to ask Sue's a question? Does Pam have to post before Sue can?

Yep! That's just to ensure that everybody gets a chance to post. You can always PM the other involved players and ask to switch up the posting order. Most of us are lenient as long as you're friendly about it.

Quote:Threadlog, Pawprints, (not used here but thought I'd ask) Storybooks. Could someone please define at least the first two for me please?

The Threadlog can be found in the top navigation (right between "Messages" and "Quicklinks"). It's just a list of in character threads your character has been involved in for easy reference.

The Pawprints forum is where people store their record-keeping threads. I use mine for keeping track of what trades I'm working on for each character.

Quote:what are Wolf's regulations on graphics, copyright, and crediting?

When you edit your profile, there is an "Art Credit" field that you can fill out. I don't believe any official policy is enforced as far as photos go, but I always find Creative Commons photos to use via Flickr because I'm familiar with the laws and did a lot of research into copyright and photos. I do know that credit for drawn artwork is enforced.
Pregnancy timeline (RHC members only)
i know you're trying to fight when you feel like flying
184 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
1) Sue would still need to wait for Pam to post before Sue can respond, unless Pam gives Sue explicit permission to skip over her. Even if a question is directed at a single character, other characters involved might express interest in the question, become offended by the question, or add on to the question, so they need a chance to react to it as well even though it isn't directed at them.

2) Threadlog is just a list of threads you're currently involved in. The one here at WOLF is automated.
Pawprints is a term we use for a character tracker, it's basically a thread where you track various things for your character. At WOLF most people use their Pawprints to track trade progress, however, there are a few people who use it to track history or family.
I'm not familiar with Storybooks as an RPG term. I would imagine it's similar to either Threadlogs or Pawprints (or both?).

3) Images online are very difficult to govern, in our experience. We strongly encourage using only Creative Commons stock images and we have an "Art Credit" field in the profile to encourage giving credit where credit is due, however... it's very difficult to truly enforce it, especially when there are people online who just Google search images and don't even know themselves where the image originated. We strongly encourage not using images that are copyrighted and giving credit for said images, but it's not something we can police. Drawings we do enforce.

Shadow-posted! Fox covered it all. :)
4 Posts
Ooc — Is
But both explanations covered beautifully! So thank you both! Virtual cookies for all.

I did model my character off a photo I found on Google. It took several hours but I tracked down the photographer. Funny thing is, out of the millions of billions of photos, I happened to be attracted to one taken by a Coloradoan who doesn't live too far from me. His website just has the copyright at the bottom with no additional information. Now I'm not too sure if it's technically copyright infringement to create a character in a very close likeness to his photo. Laws are hard.
incautious red wrecking ball amwelles · amwelles
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
(December 24, 2015, 01:26 AM)Isabeau Wrote: Now I'm not too sure if it's technically copyright infringement to create a character in a very close likeness to his photo. Laws are hard.

It's definitely not infringement to base the color of your character off a real-life animal! It would be infringement to use any of those photos without permission.
Pregnancy timeline (RHC members only)