The Sentinels and i hope that kindness comes your way
and i hope that kindness comes your way
162 Posts
Ooc — L2D2
@Eilidh but anyone else welcome to cameo

chaos had slithered its scaly head into the heart of donnelaith -- that pale spectre and her companion had fled, but in the wake of her trespass an unsavory disturbance had festered among the members. tachyon was rattled by wednesday's brazen actions, and as a result he had assigned himself along the northernmost post where the shore dredged the forest. here he dedicated the entire of his energy reserves into fiercely lathering every inch of his body on every bramble, stone and root. the borders had already been reinforced, but this did not stop the pale druid from recanvassing the area. he slumped into an exhausted heap not too far from where the lick of brine lanced the air. here he rested, though his complexion was soured with a fretting expression. he was fearful something would happen -- and that he would not be able to stop it.

#brutalmode
currently weak health
mild powerplay/cameos of tachyon welcome (especially donnelaith members)
i gave until my soul hurt
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
I apologize for the delay. Thank you for starting! <3

Since the attack on Donnelaith, Eilidh had taken to scouting the borders. It wasn't her usual endeavor, but the pale child felt it was her duty to scent-mark the borders as much as the leaders, especially now that they had been breached. It would also give her an excuse to scout for herbs for Dante's sickness, the ones her mother had taught her about (being vague). But she feared they would be hard to find during winter, and Dante might have to suffer his cough until Spring came. Still, Eilidh kept a weathered eye out for the herbs, hoping that an early springmelt might reveal what she needed.

It was during such a tour of the borders that she found Tachyon collapsed near the northern edge of the territory, where woodland met beach-head. At first she thought him passed out from some illness, and she rushed over to inspect him. But as she neared, she realized that his chest rose with steady breath, and he was simply deeply asleep. With embarrassment rising, she turned to leave him be, and promptly stepped on a stick, sending a resounding CRACK through the air. Eilidh froze mid-step and closed her eyes, hoping she'd hadn't just woken the exhausted soldier from his slumber.
Trades
Caregiver (5/5) / Medic (1/10)
Naturalist (0/5) / Botanist (0/10)
162 Posts
Ooc — L2D2
no worries girl!

tachyon felt the weariness of his duties overcome him and a gentle sleep weighed his head drowsily downwards -- and he sank into sleep. he would have slept for a great sweep of the day were it not for a sudden crack that annihilated the silence -- he instantly flew to his feet in wide-eyed horror. had he dosed off and unwittingly let the enemy by? he was seized by a terror and a certain grief-stricken guilt -- he was about to cant his muzzle back to alert the donnelaith wolves of his folly until his frenzied gaze fell on a familiar figure. the pale waif that guarded deirdre. what was she doing out here?

sheepishly, he lowered his head -- though the surprised expression remained.
#brutalmode
currently weak health
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Tachyon flew out of his sleep, and Eilidh's eyes popped open to see alarm written over his entire being. He nearly howled for those of their pack to aide at the northern borders when his gaze fell upon her. Eilidh wrinkled her muzzle against the worry she had caused him, and felt her embarrassment redouble, ears flattening to her head. "Sorry!" she squeaked, feeling awkward and gangly all over again. What was it about these older guys that seemed to send her off kilter? Was it because they were more experienced than her in all things? That they'd likely view her as an adorable child? Some days she cursed her small stature, yet she knew it was a blessing to her. She need not worry overly much about aching bones or creaky joints in the years to come.

"I was just scouting for herbs and I found you asleep. I thought I'd leave you to it, you know, but I guess I stepped on a stick and it cracked and uhh." She pursed her lips, sealing them against the babble that seemed to flow at the moment. Eilidh cursed at herself. Nobody liked a bumbling fool, and anyway it wasn't like she was doing anything wrong! Why did she feel so stupid, then? "So yeah. Sorry about waking you." Eilidh ducked her head in much the same manner as Tachyon's, feeling utterly foolish and infantile.
Trades
162 Posts
Ooc — L2D2
now that he was awake, he found himself comfortable in the pale wolf's company. he had spent most of his days in solitary, pacing the borders or sitting just out of the den's reach. while these tasks were important, he didn't always feel as if he were fulfilled. a great portion of him dearly missed lusca and the challenges she provided for him. her wit was unmatched, and her needs pretty insatiable -- he had not ever recalled a day in his life he had been happier than during the tenure he served as her companion.

but here was lusca's opposite -- kind, compassionate -- a pale beauty that stood stark against the cold darkness of lusca's familiar form. tachyon blinked for a moment, recollecting himself. "it's okay." he rose very slowly, stretching out his body with a stiff yawn. "what herbs? can i help?"
#brutalmode
currently weak health
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
She didn't know what to expect from him, this weather-beaten wolf who clearly needed a good night's sleep. He was weak and weary, a combination that lent little strength to a wolf's resolve, and yet here he was, guarding their borders. When he stood, his eyes traveled over her frame, and she ducked her head in embarrassment. Was he judging her? Or simply observing? Either way, she felt her body grow hot under his stare, but she found it was not an uncomfortable feeling.

Then he stretched and broke his stare, which released her from her trance, and she smiled softly at his question. She shook out her own fur, the golden cast shining in the morning sunlight, as she bobbed her head. "Sure, you can help, if you want. It's called, um, wild onions, I think?" Eilidh thought back to her conversation with her mother, and while they talked about a few plants that might help Dante, this one seemed to be the most promising. "Do you know what that looks like?" While she hadn't seen it herself, Blue Willow had explained it well enough that she felt she might be able to find it easily, if it grew here at all.
Trades
162 Posts
Ooc — L2D2
with a slow breath tachyon shook his head, ridding himself of the ebbing remnants of sleep. he was aware he may have made her uncomfortable -- ashamed, he immediately looked towards the ground and considered how to remedy his lack of manners. onions -- he knew those -- stringent to the scent and eyes despite an unassuming outer shell of debris.

shouldering a slow yawn he stepped forward and placed his snout to the snow-ridden ground. "i know what they smell like, at least." he hung back, wondering if she knew where a patch was apt to grow -- after all, she was much more familiar with donnelaith's realm than he.
#brutalmode
currently weak health
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
When he revealed he knew what wild onions smelled like, Eilidh smiled warmly and wagged her tail. "Well, that's more than I can say! I've never seen or smelled them, at least not that I can remember." She shrugged softly. She was young and most of her life here in these woods had been spent in the winter, so she didn't feel any shame in admitting that. "What do they smell like?" she asked, inviting him to follow her with a motion of her muzzle.

Then she set off again at her leisurely pace, nose ducked to the loamy earth. She hoped maybe they would be able to find some of this onion stuff, but if not, there was always another day. "I'm Eilidh, by the way. You're Tachyon, right?" She had heard his name from her father, she was sure, or perhaps someone else. Either way, she knew his name, and was certain he was a valuable addition to their pack, despite his gaunt appearance and recent joining.
Trades
162 Posts
Ooc — L2D2
tachyon's face flushed as he realized his social ineptitude -- had he truly forgotten introductions? his countenance simmered with shame and he directed his gaze sideways, fully aware of the faux pax he had committed. "good to meet you formally." he mumbled, still wholly chagrined by his lapse in etiquette. it appeared that eilidh did not harbor resentment for this and he quickly moved on, anxious to forge a new conversation. "uhh.. well.. they're not nice." he tried to summon the words necessary to articulate them. "if you spit them on a rock it makes your eyes sting. it's a stinging smell." this was a horrible explanation and he knew it, so he turned quickly and dragged his nose along the ground. "i've never really looked for them before but i've seen them in sunny areas and stuff.. they make for pretty flowers when they're bloomed. what do you need them for?" the pale wolf stopped and dug tentatively at a clustered plant he thought was an onion, though as he exposed the bulb it was apparent it was some wild flower variant.
#brutalmode
currently weak health
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
"You, too." She smiled softly, dipping her head to him. As they walked, he described the smell of onions, and how they made eyes sting. Eilidh frowned, not recalling ever seeing them before, and that frown deepened when he mentioned sunny areas. "Well, I need it for a patient's cough. Mamma says it should open up his lungs." They walked together, Eilidh feeling less insecure the longer they spent time together, her nose stuck tot he ground. "But we may not find it at all. At least not until spring." Whatever the outcome, she wouldn't say no to a bit of exploration around the area, and with good company, too.
Trades
162 Posts
Ooc — L2D2
feel free to PP!

he brushed his nose along the ground, snuffling with excitement as the two of them vied for contention in discovering the elusive green onion. the pale druid bounded from tussock to tussock, supplanting his long and slender nose in each frond as if to suck forth from the dirt the plant's name, origin, and purpose. eventually he tired, though he made note of a promising swale of damp earth where he suspected in the late spring there may be something of interest. he smiled guiltily, his tail swaying as he admitted defeat. "well - maybe it isn't the right time for them?"
#brutalmode
currently weak health
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
They roamed the area in companionable silence, their noses to the ground. Occasionally Eilidh would call him over to investigate a plant or stem that was unfamiliar to her, but all the while they seemed to come up short. No wild onions for them today. When Tachyon lifted his head and smiled, offering a small suggestion that perhaps it was too early in the year, Eilidh finally had to admit defeat. Perhaps you're right, Tachyon. She smiled at the fellow, wondering about him. Where had he come from? She knew he had been rescued by Pearl and her Pappa, but why had he needed rescuing in the first place?

How are you liking Donnelaith so far? The question was an innocent one, though she glanced slyly at him from the corner of her eye. They continued to walk despite not finding their quarry, but Eilidh had slowed her pace to something more leisurely, and hoped he would bide some time with her this afternoon. I hope the upset of the attack doesn't drive you away... Eilidh giggled softly, a quiet sound that flew away on the wind, before she turned her eyes ahead and wondered at herself.
Trades
162 Posts
Ooc — L2D2
tachyon found himself enjoying their efforts, even if it hadn't yielded them the onions they sought. there was always another day -- and besides, eilidh was provingt o be good company. as she walked past him he got up hurriedly, bounding after in a playful lope. she had slowed her pace considerably and he followed suit, enjoying their stroll through donnelaith's splendor. he tipped a singular ear towards her as he considered her inquiry - and he answered truthfully: "i really like it -- it's finally starting to feel like home." he ducked as they passed under the lengthy arm of a crooked fir. "besides, the food's not bad." he joked lamely, referring to the small amount of weight he had recently been able to acquire due to lasher's generosity. as she mentioned the attack his face darkened, though not out of fear. "it won't. if anything, it will make me adhere to donnelaith faster." he felt his hackles raise and his chest puff as he recalled the threat the pale wraith had placed on precious deirdre's head. "what about you, were you born here?"
#brutalmode
currently weak health
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
She was glad for Tachyon, for feeling at home within the bounds of Donnelaith. She chuckled when he made a joke about the food, eyeing him briefly to assess the truth of it. He had gained a bit of weight since the first time she'd seen him, and he was as handsome as ever. The food's not bad, huh? she asked playfully. We've got the best food around! Fresh hare and deer, and fresh fish, if you like that sort of thing! She laughed, thinking about the creatures Dante had mentioned. Plus we've got these crab creatures near the beach, too, though I have no idea what they are.

They walked together, and Eilidh felt more comfortable around him as they continued. The afternoon sun was warm against her pale fur, and she reveled in the sunlight, glowing with warmth and life. When he asked if she was born here, she shook her head. No, my brothers and I were born on Blacktail Deer Plateau. That's where we lived before. She grinned, turning to glimpse him. We moved here about two moon cycles ago, right before the deep snows fell.
Trades
162 Posts
Ooc — L2D2
as the sun broke cover and the two walked, tachyon felt his fur flush with warmth. they ducked under a sweep of fir here, around a moss-littered stump there -- if nothing else, at least the wandering enabled him to become more familiar with the territory. the entire time he had his inward ear turned back towards eilidh, and an encouraged smile grew on his muzzle as she laughed at his pathetic little joke. "oh -- crabs? theyre scuttly spiders and they have big arms to pinch you with. great if you want your meal to fight back." he had learned the hard way that crabs were not really easy game and required more of an expert approach. "i can show you if you'd like, but you gotta promise to keep your nose away from them." he would hate to be responsible for anything happening to her lovely features, after all.
#brutalmode
currently weak health
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Eilidh laughed warmly at his description of crabs. Scuttly spiders? She had seen spiders, and of course they scuttled to a point, but spiders with big pinching arms? Eilidh couldn't imagine it, so she shook her head with a chuckle. Scuttly spiders? Are you sure? She bumped her shoulder into his playfully, and felt her body alight. She blinked away the feeling and surged ahead, trying to hide her confusion. After a moment in which she calmed herself with a few deep breaths, she turned back toward Tachyon. Could you really show me? her eyes here bright as she looked at him hopefully. Are they active this late in winter?
Trades
162 Posts
Ooc — L2D2
slight pp of them going to the beach?

tachyon blushed as she teased him, feeling childish for the strange description of the crabs. his grin widened as she showed interest -- while he was not the most skilled hunter, crabs were always fair game. with a grin  he dashed off towards the direction of the shore with his tail streaking behind him. in his excitement he didn't consider his manners -- the poor woman would probably be bemused by his sudden scamper towards the water.

when they arrived he set his nose excitedly to the sand, trailing along the swash-line where bubbly foam still rimed the damp sand. "theylf ushuelly hidngg in hholesf." he mumbled, his nose to the ground obscuring any intelligible words. he lifted up his head from the sand abruptly and repeated: "usually in holes near the water. if you see seaweed, flip it over and stuff. sometimes they're against the rocks in small tide pools."
#brutalmode
currently weak health
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
<3

Eilid followed Tachyon, her heart and body feeling lighter than it had in days. With the tension of the intruders weighing heavily upon them all, Eilidh felt slightly guilty for enjoying her afternoon stroll with the pack's newest guardian. But how could she not enjoy it? He was a clever and helpful man, and even if they hadn't found what they were looking for, Eilidh knew he was going to keep an eye out for those wild onions for her. She laughed at his muffled words, nosing the sand as she walked, flipping over seaweed and rocks as instructed. She didn't find anything, but eventually she moved onto the tide pools, and found a wealth of creatures within.

Tachyon! she said, excitement evident in her voice and body language. Her ears perked forward as she ducked her head closer to the water. What were these creatures? Some scuttled about the pool, while others swam, and some even darted quickly from one wall to another. The tide was out, so it was easy to see the tiny universe held within this pool, and Eilidh smiled widely at the plethora of life she found there. Are any of these crabs?
Trades
162 Posts
Ooc — L2D2
the male followed behind the young female, his gait lolling and leisurely. it was not often he was rewarded with such thrilling company, and he relished it. as the pale beauty investigated the rippling surface of the pool he mimicked her, bringing his muzzle down into the glittering water. beneath the rippling waves a myriad of things moved: gently undulating kelp, vibrant sea-shard green and pale red. small minnows, the sun catching their darting forms in sharp bursts. rustling just under the sand were small shoals of crab and shrimp alike. he peered into the water for a moment before his ears fluttered forward -- just under eilidh's nose a small pale crab scuttled. "look!" he whispered, raising a paw towards the direction of the side-winding creature.
#brutalmode
currently weak health
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Eilidh was aware of Tachyon's closeness, and aware too that her body responded to his every move. She had never felt such a magnetic pull before, but it was there beneath her skin, pulling at her very being. She was lost in thought looking at him from the corner of her eye when he exclaimed and pointed toward something beneath her nose. Eilidh took half a step backward to get a better angle and looked into the tidepool to find a tiny, nearly white creature scuttling along the bottom of the pool. She cried out softly, and looked up at her friend with a smile. It's such a tiny creature! She'd have to bring Dante out here and show him where to find crabs. This one was small, but his large claws promised he'd be bigger.
Trades