Blacktail Deer Plateau Stairway To Heaven
Simply a pawn in the game of chess.
51 Posts
Ooc —
The beastly male scanned the area. A light dusting of snow covered the land, except for at the hot springs, but there only steam could be seen. He let out a huff, a foggy mist coming from his nose as he did so. Fury had not come across any wolf on these lands yet. It was like they were deserted. Strange... were the only words that he thought.

A strong scent hit his nose when he crossed the semi-frozen river and he narrowed his eyes. There was a pack here. There was mostly female mingled with a male, and Fury snorted. Obviously the woman rules here. His hazel eyes trailed up and down in the area around where he stood. He decided to continue forward.

Fury stood at the edge of the lands and howled, expecting to see a female come up and gape in awe at his size and cold eyes. That was all any wolf ever did. He did not mind that, though, for it kept others away. So they should.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
When Peregrine arrived, he was neither female, nor did he gape. He stood at the head of the path, dusky eyes glittering speculatively as he apprehended the beastly male standing near his borders. He then made his approach, his expression cool and his posture unwavering in its dominance. If he felt intimidated by the stranger's size, he didn't show it.

"What is your business here?" the swarthy male asked when he stepped within earshot.
51 Posts
Ooc —
The male did not wait for long, and it wasn't a female who had greeted him. If the ebony one had been threatened by his size, he did not show it. All he asked was what Fury's business was on his lands; he did not say they were his lands specifically, but his scent was familiar. He smelled entirely like the forest, and the forest like he. The scents were one in the same, and Fury wondered whether his mate smelled the same way. I wonder what she looks like.

A bored look around, and Fury rested his eyes on the Alpha male. He lowered himself in a bow. He would not fully submit, for this male was not his leader, and the peppered was unsure whether or not he would be in the future. Neither of them should receive satisfaction in the other's actions.

His voice was quiet but deep. A strange accent touched his voice, but just barely (kind of Russian). "I have come for homage. This forest is first place I found." It frustrated the male that he had to talk. It was not on his list of things that he liked, though at times it was fully necessary.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
The male submitted, almost mechanically, and Peregrine maintained his own posture. When the stranger spoke, he detected a slight accent. A look of confusion passed over his face—he didn't understand the other male's use of the word homage in such a context—but he wasn't the type to linger on such unimportant matters.

"What is your name? And what are your skills?" the Alpha questioned, keeping things simple, as always. He felt vaguely threatened by the stranger's sheer size, yet knew it would take more than brute strength to usurp him from his role as the plateau's patriarch. He tried to focus on how this man's enormous size could be of use. He would make one hell of a Warrior or Warden, that was for sure.
51 Posts
Ooc —
He meant he is looking for a home, but his words sometimes mean other things that what he speaks... I am sure you guessed that

The male was a very simple one, and one that got to the point. Fury's eyes wandered again, as if he were bored, but they ultimately rested on the black one in front of him. His eyes were a strange color he had not seen in a wolf before. Green-blue, were they? In the wolves he had met, eyes were yellow and brown, Fury's eyes being an oddity among them with their hazel color. He had never met his father, but he supposedly had colored eyes as well, a light green. His mother always told him that was where the color of her boy's eyes had come from, and, though he never spoke it, he disagreed. The green in his eyes were a mossy color, not light in any way.

Blinking a few times, Fury opened his mouth partially. "My name is Fury. I guard my mother my whole life and protect her." Essentially a bodyguard, though Fury did not know this word. Though he lived a sheltered life by only travelling by his mother's side, he knew much of the world. He had seen many places and fought many wolves, defending both his mother and her honor.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fury, as he called himself, was a man of few words—even fewer than Peregrine. The Alpha liked this about him. It would make this process that much more quick and painless.

"I believe that," he replied quietly. "Where are you from, Fury, and why did you leave that place?" Peregrine could guess, yet he tried not to speculate. Instead, his kept his eyes trained on the hulking, hoary male, growling lightly in his throat if the stranger's gaze ever crept too far upward.
51 Posts
Ooc —
Fury nearly sighed, but that was something that he always caught before performing. His mother hated unnecessary sounds. Though she was much smaller than he was, she was the only wolf that had ever instilled fear in him (so he knew what fear was). Where am I from? Fury was confused at this question. He was from the wild, of course. He roamed lands with his mother, discovering and rediscovering places along the way.

The only place his eyes never wandered were down. He felt as if looking at the ground was a show of weakness and uncertainty. So, he held his eyes (with a bored look) at level with the Alpha's. "I come from no where and every place. I never have one to call 'homage'." He did not discuss that his mother had died, for it brought out anger in the male. When he was angry, he liked to fight. Now is not the time, he told himself, though it wasn't very convincing.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
It seemed Fury didn't understand that to look into an Alpha's eyes was to pose a direct challenge. When he insisted upon looking him full in the face, Peregrine's low, throaty growl rose in pitch. He wanted to ask Fury more about himself—where was his mother now and why had the two never settled somewhere?—but he refused to proceed unless the male withdrew his challenging looks. He wouldn't require anyone to bow down and lick his toes, yet he wouldn't stand here and let a stranger, no matter how gigantic, disrespect him on his own doorstep.
51 Posts
Ooc —
A quirk of the head came from Fury. He looked behind himself, wondering if there was another wolf there, though he hadn't heard anything. No one is here... he thought silently.

"I do not understand. Why must you growl in that way?" He wondered if his words were not clear enough. "I say I never had homage. Is this problem?" Oddly enough, his mother also hated roaming eyes. This he kept hidden from her, though, and he never learned that direct eye contact was not allowed. He found it to be more respectful.

Fury was not worried about the male. His eyes roamed to the right and then drifted back. He was becoming increasingly bored and held back the urge to just leave the plateau. The way that this male was acting was strange.
<font style="font-family:helvetica; font-size:12.5px; color:#4B0082;">Each of us can only deal with what’s in front of us.</font><p><I>Avatar by STEVIE!! :)</i>
561 Posts
Ooc — Sam
Hawkeye was not far off from Peregrine, and, initially, she stayed back. But usually she was the one to greet wolves at the borders. It was her job, not her mate's. So, she moved forward and pulled up behind Peregrine.

"Woah, you're huge." Were the words spoken from her mouth. The male was much bigger than she, and that said a lot. He was peppered and his eyes were hazel, with a bored look. Hawkeye wondered what he was like.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Peregrine didn't understand how a wolf could be unaware that a direct stare presented a challenge. Was it possible that his lonesome upbringing had resulted in such a lack of manners? Or did Fury know exactly what he was doing? As the swarthy Alpha deliberated, the fact that the stranger kept looking around, clearly bored, suddenly got on his nerves as well. His black fur prickled.

"No. I'm growling because, as a wolf, I take eye contact as a challenge to my authority," he replied stonily. If this guy was serious—and he didn't know the most basic etiquette about wolfish society—the Alpha didn't know if he had the patience to teach him. Because of his size alone, his social ineptitude could be downright dangerous to everyone else in the pack who subscribed to lupine law.

Hawkeye's sudden appearance triggered yet more defensiveness in the Alpha male. He knew his mate wouldn't appreciate it if he stepped between them, though the urge to do just that was very strong. Should Fury want to attack, he could damage the pups growing inside Hawkeye's belly, which made their presence known in her extended flanks. Peregrine was protective of the plateau but even more so of his mate and their unborn children.

"Hawkeye, this is Fury," Peregrine introduced them woodenly, a bit put off by her open admiration. In this situation, huge wasn't necessarily a good thing for them. "He doesn't speak very clearly and he doesn't know basic etiquette. If it weren't for these red flags, I'd say he'd make a great Warden..." He already sensed that Hawkeye would give Fury the benefit of the doubt, just like she'd done with Luxuria. He grated his teeth but stepped aside, clearly if reluctantly passing the baton to her.
51 Posts
Ooc —
Fury took offence to the words that Peregrine spoke. His accent thickened. "My mother teach me et-kit." Hazel eyes wandered to the female now that he was done speaking to the male. She was large. Not as large as he was, but very large for a female. His mother had been nearly half of her size. Her eyes were the color that he had imagined his father's would be.

Fury's eyes drifted to her belly. "You are with pup." He spoke gently, eyes softening. "My mother tell me pup are gift to everyone." His eyes rested upon her light green ones.
<font style="font-family:helvetica; font-size:12.5px; color:#4B0082;">Each of us can only deal with what’s in front of us.</font><p><I>Avatar by STEVIE!! :)</i>
561 Posts
Ooc — Sam
Hawkeye held down a laugh at the offence that was taken by the male. Apparently he thought he was doing just fine. His accent took her by surprise.

When he matched his eyes with hers, she was not threatened in any way. In her pack, eye contact meant respect, whereas here in the "real world", it meant the opposite.

She nodded at his words. "Yes, I was taught the same thing about pups. They are a gift to everyone who witnesses them." Immediately, Hawkeye felt camaraderie with the male.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
If he hadn't felt like Fury was still a threat, Peregrine would've simply left. Instead, he lurked in the background, a bit off-put by his mate's instant camaraderie with the hulking stranger. He wondered why she was so open to outsiders, especially in her condition... yet he didn't voice his concerns out loud. He simply remained by her side, a silent rock of support, ever watchful and vigilant. If Fury touched a hair on Hawkeye's head—or even simply disrespected her—fur would fly. And maybe he'd be killed in the process but that's the only way anyone would ever get to his wife and kids: over his dead body.
51 Posts
Ooc —
Fury rarely smiled, but a small one twisted at the edge of his mouth. The Alphess reminded him of his mother. "I dare say your mate do not like me much. I say sorry for what I have done, but I do not know." His ears did not fully flatten, but they did slightly. Fury did not like the feeling of being stupid. He did not want to become angry around a mother, though.

He eyed her belly again. "You are due soon, yes? What is it we're having?" Children were one of the few things that brought him joy, especially newborn ones. If he became a part of this pack, Fury would do anything to protect them. As he said, children were gifts.
561 Posts
Ooc — Sam
A weak smile came from Hawkeye. "Is it disrespectful among wolves to make eye contact, Fury. Where I come from, and I assume the same for you, it is considered respectful. Not here." She knew what it felt like to be seen as an outsider, or someone who didn't do things properly because it was the way she was raised. At least Fury had someone to explain. Hawkeye had had no one, and she was still learning.

A chuckle rumbled her body. It sounded like he was talking about her and him having pups, but she knew that he meant her and Peregrine; once again, he was the same as she. They had spoken like that in her pack(s) as well. "We are having a boy and a girl. At least, I hope so. Otherwise we'll just have to give a boy name to another girl." Hawkeye figured that if they were not having one of each that they would have two girls. The Alphess did not know why she felt this way, but it was just a gut feeling.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Although Fury's evident enchantment with his unborn children made him seem less threatening, Peregrine didn't let down his guard. He remained mum as the giant talked to his mate, listening without talking, mostly because neither spoke to him directly. He felt a warmth bloom in his chest when Hawkeye spoke of their son and daughter and his dusky eyes lit up, yet still he remained as quiet as a monk.
51 Posts
Ooc —
Immediately, Fury pulled his eyes away from hers, and the first place they landed on was her chest. Blushing, he looked away. "I am sorry. I did not realize. I admit I do not know where I should be look now." Besides with his mother correcting him, Fury had never been embarrassed in his life. He realized that from this short encounter that he had feelings for the wolf before him. Never before had he wanted a female.

A boisterous laugh bellowed deep within his chest. "Oh ho, that would be grand. Female with male name. Ho ho." He pictured himself with a name like "Delilah" instead of Fury and laughed again. "It would be honor to defend you and your pup." He looked around, adding: "Your homage." Maybe my homage soon.
561 Posts
Ooc — Sam
Hawkeye took a step forward, wishing to comfort him, but she looked back to Peregrine and then stayed where she was. "Don't feel bad. I'm not mad at you, Fury." She looked into his hazel eyes, though they were now diverted somewhere else.

His laughter was contagious and she laughed out loud with him. "I suppose that might suck a bit, being a girl with a boy name. But she'd be tough as hell and knock anyone down who made fun of her." Hawkeye narrowed her brow and grinned with confidence.

"Well, I am okay with you defending my home. Your home, too, if you'd like." Hawkeye admired the strong male in front of her. She had always had a thing for larger males, and those did not come by her very often. He seemed wise and she could tell that he also analyzed the surroundings, though he made it seem as if he were bored while doing so.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Peregrine squinted as the two continued exchanging words. There seemed to be a connection between them and it unsettled him slightly, though he trusted Hawkeye. He had no idea of her boy crazy past, nor especially of her tryst with his own brother, or he might have felt significantly more threatened by her behavior toward Fury. As it was, he only felt it was a little distasteful for her to coddle a stranger so warmly, in front of him or otherwise.

But as with all things relating to Hawkeye, Peregrine held his tongue. He hadn't said a word since remarking on Fury's fitness as a Warden. It seemed now that Hawkeye would accept him and that he would follow this very path.

The Alpha male finally opened his mouth to speak at this juncture, yet something about the way Hawkeye looked at Fury—admiring him so openly—made Peregrine's throat tighten. Rather than rebuke her, he wanted to tell Fury to seek "homage" elsewhere. Actually, Peregrine wanted to bellow, It's home, you bonehead!

Instead, he clenched his teeth and maintained that same silence, only now it seemed almost ominous.
51 Posts
Ooc —
Fury noticed the tenseness held within the male's body and almost frowned. Then, he almost smiled. He had been right. The woman ruled over the land, her mate coming second, but he seemed to keep his mouth shut when it came to her. He loves her so, that he does not speak against her. Fury kept this information tucked away in the back of his mind.

"I would be feared of your daughter. She would take me down easy." A lazy smile showed itself on his grey face, eyes lighting up somewhat. Children brought him joy that no one could match. They were so innocent and new to the world, and so impressionable and naive.

"I thank you both for letting me call these place mine as well. I will defend honor to death." His face became solemn, him reverting back to his cool nature. Emotion was not a thing he expressed often, unless it was anger (and he didn't count that).
561 Posts
Ooc — Sam
Hawkeye noted Peregrine at the corner of her eye, but shrugged it off. She knew he was just being protective of her, especially since she was carrying pups, but she could hold her own if needed. The Alphess could tell that, deep down, Fury was a softy, but there was a fire in his eyes even if they held a bored look. I wonder what his story is... she thought hard, willing the mystery to be known to her.

"Well, I could show you around, or Peregrine could. Maybe some male bonding time." Craning her neck, she winked at her mate, teasing him. She could tell that he already had a certain distaste for the male before her, and whether he was threatened or worried, she did not wish to analyze. He needed to get over himself if he was going to rule the pack.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Peregrine blinked when Hawkeye suggested that he give Fury a tour. He sensed something amiss despite her wink and teasing tone which made his throat tighten even more. Although he was usually quite happy to defer to her, Peregrine suddenly realized that his opinion didn't mean much to her. She certainly didn't seem to take it into account in this instance. She didn't view him as her equal or her partner, nor value his input. That was her prerogative but, suddenly, Peregrine didn't understand why he was the Alpha male then.

He swallowed thickly, deciding he would have to speak to her in private at some point. Although it hurt his pride and his feelings, he didn't hold it against his mate, per se. Perhaps Hawkeye would be happier ruling alone and being the sole ruler of the pack. Maybe it would make more sense if he stepped down into the Gamma position or something. He could still serve the pack as a Gamekeeper. In fact, it might even be worth it just to see the relief on his siblings' faces. Abruptly, he was giving the idea some very serious thought, when he'd never before questioned their partnership, not even during all the trouble it'd given him.

Of course, this was nothing Fury needed to hear. "Sure," Peregrine said simply, coolly. "And, for the record, Fury: I don't dislike you. I just need time to get to know you." He looked at Hawkeye strangely as he said this, again wondering why it was she befriended strangers so instantly, exercising no caution. It was just one more thing he would have to let slide, because he had no wish to second-guess his mate's actions or control her, nor did he honestly think she'd value his opinion on the matter anyhow.

Motioning for the new recruit to follow him, Peregrine began leading the way up to the slope to the plateau proper.
51 Posts
Ooc —
Fury shifted his weight when Hawkeye mentioned Peregrine give him a tour. She seemed to be teasing her mate, but the black male did not seem comfortable with this. The grey brute made his gaze wander, not wanting to stare and get himself involved in the situation. He found that such things were best to ignore and act like he hadn't noticed at all. She is pregnant, yet independent. Such is strange. He could have grasped onto her belly and ripped the pups from her, but she was not wary. He noted something in her light green eyes; they shone as if she could predict things or read thoughts. This made Fury uncomfortable, where he usually stood up to any challenge.

"I thank you again, kind Alpha," were the words spoken as he passed the female to follow her mate. Male bonding ...is odd. He thought that males becoming closer was a weird and not necessary, but he did not question his new Alphas. "How long is time where you two become mate?" He asked Peregrine, accent thickening as he climbed up the crag. The less he focused on speaking, the stronger his dialect became. The peppery male would have preferred not to talk at all, but silence seemed awkward in this instance.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Normally, Peregrine would've made a point to kiss Hawkeye goodbye before parting ways but, by the time he thought to do it, she'd already swept off on her own. His lips pursed as he listened to her footfalls fade. He frowned, his jaw muscles working. He felt a little weird about her right now, yet whatever his qualms about how she didn't treat him as an equal, he didn't love her any less. But she was gone now, so he turned to focus his attention on his new charge.

He didn't know why Fury wanted to know and part of Peregrine wanted to evade the question. Instead, he said, "We've been together about a month." It wasn't long at all, nor had they known each other long beforehand. Everything had happened so quickly, especially his ascension. In fact, he hadn't expected that part at all, in hindsight. Was today a day for revelations or something?

Pushing these thoughts aside, Peregrine gazed at Fury a long moment. Perhaps reading something on his face, he decided to take a page out of his mate's book and conspire with the gentle giant, despite his own natural misgivings. "Touring and male bonding are both lame as fuck. What would you rather do? I mean, I can show you around and all that but... personally, I'd rather do something else." He shrugged.