Silvertip Mountain The panic of your dreams keeps you awake
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
All Welcome 
Niita had chosen a rock for her bed. It was a flat outstretched rock that ascended upwards into part of the mountain, creating a sort of corner that she put her back to and slept. The pale waif had no reason for a den, she no longer slept enough to need one. 

Her dreams were haunted by memories, haunted by the dead. It was one such dream that woke her-the sight of Lifa's crumpled tiny form had her lurching upwards with a yelp. Several moments of panting fear later, Niita shook her head and got to her feet.

She found herself leaning against a bare tree, its skinny branches scraping lightly in the breeze. The stars winked at her from above, the arctic wolf stared up at them and pondered if her family was up there as she had been taught as a child.
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Always restless, Phocion found himself this night traveling the perimeter of the mountain, eyes scanning for any bit of nocturnal prey he could stumble upon. He much preferred night to day; the sun was becoming more garish by the day as spring had now dissolved into summer. Besides, the stars were nice to look at, winking down at him as if they held some sort of secret between each other.

He was about to travel further upward when he caught wind of an unfamiliar scent--another wolf. A growl rose slowly in his throat before further inhalations told him this was a Silvertip she-wolf, albeit one he had never met before. Relaxing, he started to pad toward the source of the smell until he came upon a white wolf, blue eyes fixed on the sky.

Quietly, Phocion walked to where she sat and parked himself next to her, lifting his gaze as well. "Good night for stargazing," he remarked, still looking up. "No clouds, no rain. The moon is particularly bright tonight." He looked back down and cast the female a sideways glance. She was pale, even paler than he, and her eyes were impossibly blue, and incredibly beautiful, at that.

"I don't think we've met," he said, smiling at her. "I'm Phocion. I assume you're new to Silvertip." Belatedly, he noticed the stiffness of her posture and realized something must be wrong, but he didn't pry--for now.
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
She tensed upon hearing another, glancing away from the bright lights as another male-one she had yet to meet-appeared. He was pale though not as white as she, his fur was more of a cream color. Niita nodded in greeting as he sat by her. 

"It is. There appears to be more of them up here, perhaps that's only my perception." Niita tried to add to the conversation, though she hadn't spoken to anyone in a long time. Her thick accent was present, overpronunciating some of the words as a result.

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Niita." Again she purposefully left out her surname as she introduced herself. "I am new. I assume you're a night owl like me?" 
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Her voice was alluring, a thick accent he could not place giving all her words an exotic tinge. He realized he had been staring at her speechlessly when they were thrown into awkward silence; she had finished talking several long moments ago.

Phocion laughed sheepishly. "Yes," he said quickly, trying to hide his embarassment at his open captivation, "I am a night owl. I much prefer the stars to the sun."

"Where have you come from to settle here?" he added, changing the subject. He had a feeling she would not give him the full story--her body language was full of hesitation--but that didn't matter to him. A brief overview would do, and besides, he wanted a handle on where her accent originated.
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
He stared at her for several long moments, filling her with unease. Her shoulders hunched upwards a bit, wondering if he had seen the bite mark on her neck and if that was the reason for his outright staring. Phocion seemed to snap out of it, laughing lightly and beginning to talk once more.

"A place far from here, a pack called Asmundr." The word was thick, guttural as she said it. "What of you, where have you come from?" Niita cocked her head curiously, a smile flitting across her face.
Her heart was a secret garden and the walls were very high -- except for the one who held the keys to the gate. 
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
"Asmundr." He said the word aloud, rolling it over his tongue and probably butchering the pronunciation. He then went on to answer her question. "Oh, I came from the mountains down south. My mother died when I was young, so I've been alone for most of my life."

Phocion said all this so matter-of-factly that he wondered shortly whether he was starting to really get over it all. It felt more an old scar than a gaping wound now; it had been knotted over by years of laughing off his misfortunes or avoiding the subject entirely.

"Do you like it here at Silvertip? Getting on with everyone well?" He sure hoped she had gotten off on a better foot with the others than he had. Surely she would have--this female was sweet, with a kind mouth, not a sarcastic upstart like himself.
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
"I am sorry to hear that. My mother died when I was young as well." Niita admitted empathetically, nudging him in an attempt to offer solace. Phocion seemed not to care that his mother died but perhaps that was just his way of speaking.

"I have only met three of the wolves who live here counting you, but I think I get along well with them. I like it here. It has a certain beauty to it." The pale waif shared her thoughts on the place from when she was joining, remembering how she had perceived it to be a dangerous sort of beauty.
Her heart was a secret garden and the walls were very high -- except for the one who held the keys to the gate. 
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
He closed his eyes for an instant, savoring the feel of her muzzle on his pelt, then opened them again with a smile. "I'm sorry about your mother as well. Do you have any other family still living?"

At her compliment on Silvertip, he nodded, gazing up at the summit, high above their heads. "You're right. It's gorgeous here, in a very wild way. I know you said you're a night owl, but you should check out the sunrise sometime. When the light hits the peak. . .closest thing to heaven I've seen."

He had dialed back the flirtation with this female and wondered why. Perhaps Steady had beaten the impetuousness out of his young mind. He almost laughed aloud at that. That, and this young lady seemed shy--he didn't want to frighten her off by being too forward.
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Do you have any other family still living? 

"No. They're gone too." The words were hollow, ringing with a sense of loss Niita still felt-even after nearly two years-deep in her chest. She couldn't look at him, didn't want to see any pity or anything of the sort on Phocion's face, instead she looked upwards once more. 

"I will have to watch it sometime." Niita assured, though she probably wouldn't watch it tonight, today? Perhaps another night, one where she woke closer to dawn. Her sleep schedule was erratic, there was no telling when she would awaken and when she might sleep peacefully.
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
"I'm sorry to hear that." Her gaze turned away from Phocion, so he knew she didn't want too much sympathy, but he needed to give some sort of apology.

She looked very tired, as if sleep had eluded her for days. He frowned, wanting to offer her some sort of solace but not finding anything to offer. Finally, a lightbulb went off in his head.

"There's a cavern close to here, full of crystals that light up like stars when the moon shines inside," he said, pointing with his nose in the general direction of the cave. "If peace is what you seek, you will find it there. It's quite extraordinary." He had half a mind to visit the place himself.
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Her ears perked in interest when he spoke of a cave. How peculiar, a cave of crystals? Truth be told, Niita could use some peace. It was what had brought the girl to Silvertip in the first place: peace.

Niita stood, shaking the dirt from her pale pelt. "Lead the way." She inclined her head with a smile, gesturing for Phocion to lead the way.
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
She rose to her feet quickly, and he grinned--she didn't take much convincing. And truthfully, he thought as he got up and stretched a bit, Phocion was eager to explore the glass cave. He had passed by a couple of times but hadn't had the time to step inside. "Takes a bit of a run to get there, but if you're up for it. . ." he called over his shoulder to her, voice trailing off, before turning his head forward and taking off.

He made sure not to run too quickly; it would be quite rude of him to leave his cute new friend in the dust. He kept his ears pricked backwards, listening for her footfalls behind him. The two pale wolves streaked through the darkness of the Silvertip forest, rushing nimbly through the trees.

After a short journey, Phocion caught sight of the cave, and slowed his pace, eventually coming to a halt at the mouth of the cave. Looking back at Niita behind him, he smiled. "Here we are." He could already see the thousands of glittering quartz rocks inside, reflecting the light of the moon and stars. He took his first step into the place. It was like stepping into a dream, a glittering fantasy.
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Getting to her feet, Niita only chuckled as she began to race after him. She was determined to keep up, certain she was fast enough. The run was quiet, she was not too winded by the time they reached the cave.

Seeing the glittering of the quartz cave, Niita fell silent. It almost felt as if she weren't breathing-she was too afraid she would disturb this beautiful place. The moonlight reflected off the glassy stones, seeming to make the two wolves' fur glow and rainbows bounced off the ground. Never had Niita seen such a place, it was almost unreal in its beauty.
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
"Whoa-hoa," Phocion said, letting out a long whistle of appreciation. The sound reverberated off the cavern walls, echoing over and over and over. He turned back to Niita. She looked ethereally beautiful here, her pale fur gleaming in the moonlight, eyes lit like gemstones and full of wonder. "I take it you like it here?"

He began to step nimbly around, looking up at the crystal stalactites that hung from the ceiling. The grim part of his brain imagined one of those pointy things snapping and falling to pierce him through, pinning his body to the ground. He shuddered briefly and stood still, returning his gaze to his companion.

"Down south, I found a cave like this," he said, beginning to reminisce. "A buddy of mine and I were looking for food when we stumbled upon this gorgeous cavern. We returned there every night while I was still staying in that area and stayed awake until the sun rose, trading stories."

Phocion sat down, stifling a yawn. It had been a while since he had slept. "God, it is peaceful here, isn't it?" he mused, closing his eyes in momentary bliss. He opened them and smiled at Niita. "I hope you find it as peaceful as I do, my dear." His tone was light and playful, spoken with a wink.
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Is he..is he flirting with me? The thought made Niita a bit wary, she had only known Phocion for about an hour after all. Niita was severely inexperienced with men, the males she had grown up with were all taken or she had viewed them as siblings rather than potential partners. The pale waif couldn't truly tell if he was flirting or not.

Niita pushed aside the uneasy feeling, smiling at him in a friendly matter. "It is. I've never seen anything like it." Niita settled down as he did, across the cave albeit, curling up and drawing her tail up over her nose.
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
The girl got up and sat on the other side of the cave, and Phocion frowned slightly. Must be shy. His naturally flirtatious nature was beginning to creep back into his words; he needed Steady here to crush it, he thought, and resisted an audible chuckle.

"Sorry if I come across as too forward," he said frankly to her, voice echoing in the cave. "I'm kind of a coquet. Not one of my better qualities. Trying to be better, though," he added wryly, with a small laugh.

He snorted softly, a memory coming to mind. "Few months ago I fell for this girl. Head over heels. So I told my friend how I felt. He got angry and started to snap at me. Big burly guy. Ended up pushing me into the pond we were walking next to. Turns out, it was his little sister. Whoops."

Phocion rose to his feet with another languorous stretch, hopping onto a large rock, then another, and surveying the scene from below. He laid on the cool stone and placed his head on his paws, staring down on Niita. "Anyway, I'm harmless," he continued softly with a smile. "You don't have to be wary of me. All it is is my mouth gets ahead of my brain when I'm with a pretty girl.

"Let's change the subject. How come you decided to settle here on the mountain, if I might ask? There are several other packs very close."
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita's cerulean eyes tracked his movement across the cave, fur prickling upwards as he got closer. She chuckled lightly at his story, wondering how someone could mess up that badly. "How did you not know they were related? You were friends?"

"I choose this mountain because it was here and it was the first place I came across." Niita shrugged her narrow shoulders slightly, truth be told she most likely could've made a home with any pack. Silvertip Mountain just happened to be the one she found first, she wouldn't have traded for another pack anyhow.
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
He laughed at her response to his pond story. "You're telling me," he teased, rolling his eyes at himself. "No, I had just known my friend for a couple of weeks. Truth be told, I haven't really had very many long-term friends. People in my life have come and gone."

Phocion then nodded at her answer to his earlier question. "Yes, that was my thought process when I arrived, too. Plus I thought the mountain was pretty." He grinned. "But I'm glad you're here. We're glad you're here."

He sighed, looking down at his paws for a moment. Finding June's body earlier still weighed on his mind, even though he had never met the girl.

"There's a lot of pain in this pack, Niita," Phocion mused, his voice a little sad. "They just lost their alpha, and we found the body of another member a few days ago. . . You can see it in their eyes. They're lost. They're broken.

"I suppose that's why I've decided to stick around. They need us. They've lost too much recently to bear losing more. I think this pack can be the greatest in the land, it just needs to heal."

He looked back down at Niita, who lay with her snowy tail curled around her nose. "Sorry, I'm ranting, now. Not very polite of me to go on and on." He paused for a moment. The night breeze came through the cave mouth, touching his face like a gentle kiss. "The air is getting warmer. Summer is coming. Do you like summer, Niita?"
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita lifted her head up to stare at him, wondering where his thought process was going. Maybe he ate something weird.. He didn't seem inebriated, Phocion just seemed a bit all over the place.

Niita hadn't yet learned about FitzDutiful nor June, but she felt a stab of sympathy for the pack. Is Zaria his mate? Are the pups his children? Niita reminded herself to pray for the wolves of Silvertip Mountain later, she would pray to her ancestors to bring them peace. 

"Well, I'm not going anywhere. Maybe we make this pack great together." Niita smiled up at him, confident in her words. She had only just found her new family, she planned to be here for life.

"Summers here seem to be much different than Asmundr. The summers there are brief and even then it's still cold, the permafrost never fully melts. Here, it's very hot and dry." Niita compare the differences aloud, wondering if summers here would be harder for her.
249 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
"Great together. I like the sound of that!" Phocion said with a broad smile, though he felt a bit troubled. She looked up at him as if he were some sort of alien. Did he look or smell funny? Had he lost his touch with the ladies? He shuddered to think so.

Whatever. It would be something good to sleep on, to think about in the morning. "Oh, understandable," he said, responding to her comment on the summer. "On the bright side, the herds might come back in a couple of months, so it will certainly be a summer to remember. I'm sure you'll handle the heat fine. The mountain summit stays pretty cool all year round, so you could camp out there for the season," he added, his voice teasing.

Stifling yet another yawn, Phocion blinked sleepily down at his new friend. "Well, Miss Niita, I'd very much love to continue this conversation, but I feel like I'm going to pass out any minute now," he told her, his words starting to slur together in his weariness. "Going to sleep here for the night; the crystal light will lull me right to sleep. You're welcome to stay, too, if you'd like. I'll stay up here; you can stay down there. Don't worry--I don't bite. Or sleepwalk," he added, chuckling.

"Goodnight, my new friend. Let me know if you need a tour guide to explore the rest of this land," Phocion offered with a gentle smile. His eyes closed almost involuntarily, lids drooping heavily down as he began to relax into the rhythms of slumber.

Last post from me! Feel free to fade and/or archive! :)
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita watched him settle down, smiling at his earlier comment. Even if he made her a bit uneasy she could count Phocion as a friend. It was good to have friends again. 

[indentNiita lay back down, pulling her tail over her muzzle once more. "I wish I could say the same.." She whispered to herself before calling out a louder, "Goodnight."

The pale waif closed her eyes, hoping that her dreams left her alone while in the company of another. Niita didn't want to scare Phocion by jerking awake with a yelp or having a night terror.