The Sentinels in the land of gods and monsters, i was an angel
slowly drifting, wave after wave
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
Private 
she had returned from her time with skellige to rest a while beneath the roots of an ancient tree. here, deirdre thought of their conversation. her heart ached for the loss of lasher, still. succession was something that had never occurred to her, and though ambition rest within her she had no desire to fulfill it now. but he had put a thought into her head -- the idea -- and when she slept, she communed with the fair folk and the fae and the creatures of the forest foreign and known.

when she awoke, she removed herself from the earths hold. 'twas not the living, breathing forest she worried on, it was the wolves, her brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles. could they see her in such a role, ever? would they wish to?

the white witch followed the trail of her beloved brother. she was distracted, and wished to be near family. her nape still ached but there was no sign of her assault, and though she looked tired her gait was graceful and her stride was long.
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Constantine was not far -- his nose grazed over the berries that now spurted growth beneath the tall sequoias, his bright eyes drifting upward to sweep across the lands as foliage and life began to spring upon them once more. They had been stripped bare before -- weathered to nothing, as if winter had come upon them. With the land beginning to flourish once more, he could only hope it meant promise for the future of the pack -- they could not continue much longer like this.

The pale form of Deirdre was caught from the corner of his eyes. Her lissome form was grown practically to that of a matured she-wolf, and he felt a flicker of worry beat at his chest in worry that soon, there would be suitors knocking upon their door for her hand. He could not bare the thought.

But the thought never surfaced to a voice, and instead, Constantine chuffed a greeting to his most youthful sister -- his eyes sweeping over her to see how she was.
all you have is your fire
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
she saw him! and she bounded over any obstacle to draw near his side, lowering her muzzle to inspect his paw. deirdre was exceptionally watchful of this, now; he would not be taken from her yet! let me see, she urged him gently, looking up at him from beneath the thick, inkjet lashes that rimmed her emerald eyes.

she loved him so; he and eilidh were what she had left of the mayfairs in this place, though lasher was still here, surrounding them.
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
It was with grace and childlike innocence that the girl bounded to him -- unknown to her yet at the beauty she held, and as striking as she was upon appearance, the purity of her soul was immensely more beautiful. He cast her a small smile, his muzzle tipping down to sweep across her forehead with a gentle kiss before she demanded to see his previous injury.

Dutifully, and without question, the eldest Mayfair pushed his forelimb further out for her to inspect, knowing that she would feel her and Lucani's previous work satisfactory, as the pain now ebbed away.
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
deirdre grinned at his kiss, unabashed by it and ever receptive to the adoration of her siblings. she would have responded in kind were it not for the fact that her priority first was to see that his wound was healing well. and once she saw just that, she nodded. it looks so much better, and the relief was not at all hidden from her dulcet tones as she looked upon him to embrace him in a wolfish hug. he looked very much like their father, and yet she knew this was constantine--her relief in him being here with she and eilidh was palpable, and exuded in the gesture. her family were her pillars, and they kept her upright.

she withdrew to look at him, and then looked around the forest. do you have any dreams, brother? dreams you could achieve?
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
She verified his own thoughts, and the eldest Mayfair all but beamed down to the girl. "Because of you and Lucani," he murmured gently, offering his praise with one last kiss upon her crown.

Pulling back, it was her words that lured him to carefully study her, and motioning with his muzzle that the two could continue to walk as they conversed, he felt a pull of disappointment.

What did he strive for? What could he accomplish in his life that would leave him satisfied? He had left the Plateau before with the desire to seek knowledge of the world, and in turn, he had learned aspects to the art of battle, though he was young still. Then, he had ached only to be revived with his family.

It seemed fate was cruel that he would come to reunite with them only to have his father stripped from him and his mother to go missing. "I think I'm still figuring that out," he decided with honesty. With a questioning look, the youthful wolf waited to see where this topic had come from.
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
deirdre beamed at the thought of the handsome lucani, and nodded in agreeance. it was largely because of lucani, who knew what to do. deirdre was thankful to have learned from her; now, if it happened again, she would not be helpless in the face of it.

his words surprised her; she presumed that all those older than her had it figured out. she saw constantine as an adult, and so to hear him admit this caused her to wonder if she necessarily needed her eggs in any basket at all. perhaps not, but she did feel a desire--as surely as he once wished to roam, deirdre wished to someday rise.

do you know that in some cultures, children are born for a task? she peered between her paws for a moment, continuing, someone told me--they told me they thought that i was born to lead. she spoke this evenly, though stared at her paw like it were the most interesting thing in the world. i think that... i think that i would like to do that, constantine, when i am old enough to... she peered at her brother then, and tilted her head, wondering his thoughts on it. she was incredibly vulnerable then, but the wind rallied behind her, and the trees imparted their own opinion with a rustling applause.
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
She was entirely honest -- an aspect to the girl that warmed his heart to her completely, and at her words, he gave a gentle nod of his muzzle. It surprised him somewhat, that she sought such a role -- her skills laid with the art of healing, and her beliefs upon the very roots of what Lasher had taught her. He had not considered that she would hold the desire to be above others, and yet as he looked to Deirdre, he could only see the innocence of it all -- that she wanted nothing more than to bring her pack to it's truest potential, and be able to be there for tem whatever the cost.

"I believe many cultures hold that tradition," he confirmed, a gentle smile easing his features. "And I also believe you would be a fine leader one day." One day to him only meant when she was of age -- whether she felt that at 12 months, or years from now, only she could gauge that. "Which friend was this? Anyone I know?" He was uncertain only of how the topic would feel to Donnelaith's current leaders -- surely they would not see his little sister as a threat to their current crowns?
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
deirdre smiled to him, her anxieties washed away and delight flooding her features. perhaps you could teach me how to be a good one, and then, maybe aria and osprey, too! for her dreams were harmless; deirdre sought what she had been told was birthright, and if it was no dream of constantine or eilidh, then surely she could follow this one through to its completion!

his query she answered with a smile. his name is skellige. he taught me to fish, and saved me, once. i asked the spirits for aid and they brought me lightning and the cairn. there was a man who told me he knew where emaleth was... i hesitated, and he tried to pull me to go with him... but skellige saw that he did not succeed. he wishes to create his own pack nearby, she tried to recall where and could not think of it, and would like, one day, to be our ally when that happens. he said that war would never touch donnelaith--i would never see it here, and so he promised that, if we were to become allys. and he wished for us to rule together. deirdre smiled at the thought. i, here, and he, there. it was all innocent to deirdre, who thought the idea a good one. but she looked to her brother now as an adviser, and tilted her head to hear his own thoughts.
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
While he hoped the conversation had not transpired within the tall trees of their home, for it could only hint at disrupt amongst their current ranks, he was even more displeased with the true source as Deirdre's tale wove forward. A frown clouded his features like a storm, his eyes flashing with worry as the girl mentioned an attacker -- and while she also held a savior, the more she wove before him, the more a certain dread began to fill the heart of the Mayfair man.

Manipulation would be easy for an innocent like his sister -- she saw the harm in none, and hoped only to instill her good to the world. How easy would it be for a stranger to try to seek a bargain with her, promising her that she should be the leader of Donnelaith, when it would certainly suit his needs better?

"Dei," he murmured, stricken that another had attempted her harm, and instantly the man paused, his larger form wrapping about her in an embrace. His nose scoured the fur along her nape now, seeking for any grievous damage anywhere, though coming with none. "Deirdre.. I'll be honest with you, I do not trust this." He paused then, hoping he could get her to understand. "Where does this other pack wish to settle? If he desires no war, why would he not seek our current leadership to tell them?"
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
she was investigated briefly, and she stretched so he could see the length of her. she was only bruised, and her feathers had surely been ruffled, but there were no other signs of gluskap's attack to her person. as he continued to speak, deirdre peered to him. he has not been here very long. perhaps he, too, did not know exactly what he wanted from this life and has just decided. brother, if it would please you, i would have you meet him. even aria and osprey. he does wish to settle near, but why should this be a bad thing? i aided him when he was injured, he taught me to fish... he seems to be a good man. she did not think herself a bad judge of character, but deirdre was, of course, open to criticism. it was why she spoke all this to her brother in the first place! she wished for his counsel, his aid, and his perspective. she was guileless and a woman without wile; he was wise to the way of the world, and of places near and far.
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
He was reassured only that no harm had come to her, and when she spoke that the stranger would openly speak to the others of her pack. He eased a gentle sigh then, untrusting still, but more open to the idea. "Of course," he determined then, his muzzle dipping down to nudge her cheek gently before he pulled away. "I think that would be the best course of action. When shall we set this meeting for?" He certainly desired to waste no time, and was keen to see how his sister felt on the topic -- studying her for only a moment before finally answering her. "It could only be bad if they hinder our resources -- and if they threaten us over them." There was a reason packs did not inhabit land close to one another -- it seemed strange to the dark Mayfair that this other was so determined to settle near them.. but perhaps, it was still a respectful distance.
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
she smiled, truly filled with glee that her brother would desire to meet the man who intended to become their neighbor and in the same vein, her husband [though he had insinuated and said as much, deirdre did not know this was what he had meant]. at his inquiry, she looked thoughtful for a moment. when the moon is at its next waxing crescent--does this work for you? regeneration, spells of attraction, it boded well and was two nights from this day. it was not an ample amount of time, but she wished her brothers schedule to be open and did not know, yet, where skellige had deigned to settle for certain. as he spoke of the negatives, deirdre nodded in understanding. times had been hard of late, but he had helped her, guided her, when he could have left her for death or starvation. he could teach us the ways of the ocean and to hunt well within it in those times, as he did with me. donnelaith will remain a sanctuary; his being outside would ensure no others who would wish ill against us, for the land we hold and its power, would ever succeed in removing us. this was her belief; war would not touch this land, except for the warriors they would heal of skellige if ever they needed such a thing. but donnelaith, she knew, was its own entity. and yet, it could be a superpower of the shoreline. though the notion was enticing, she knew their slip of the land would be a mystery to most except for those who heard its call, and wished that most of all.
[Image: BCay9TG.png]
in oceans deep. my faith will stand
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
He nodded at her suggested meeting time, feeling his own nerves flicker with apprehension. He did not speak them aloud – and yet, when Deirdre began speaking on such a heavy reliance upon this pack now guarding them, Constantine’s solid gaze found hers, his brows lifting upward. “You wish to use this pack as protection? To rely on them?”

His sweet sister – and yet he wondered now, if her naivety of the world would be her downfall. He would not bring himself to say it, for he could not shatter her heart or dreams.. but her words only proved how young she truly was, and her lack of knowledge of the world that surrounded them. Never once did it occur to him that he was perhaps overly cynical at such a youthful age.
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
no, brother, not rely, she hummed to him, seeking to temper his frustration with a well-meant kiss to his sharp jawline. i only know that we here are not fighters, and wish for no wars. donnelaith is a safehaven, it is not the place you spoke of when you returned to us. i do not think donnelaith would displace any who comes too close unless they were a true threat to us, and he is not that. he is no enemy, and does not mean to become one. she spoke to him from her heart. donnelaith would sooner leave the wood, she imagined, than fight against skellige and his subordinates. and if there needed to be no fighting, and the others only meant well, she felt that it was not such a bad thing, their settling where they had chosen to.
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
He was soothed by her words, but his soul remained skeptical on the matter of the strange pack settling so close. She tempered him with a kiss – stirring a gentle chuff from his lips as he considered her words. “I would never have Donnelaith become Tartok – but I would not wish to see our pack put reliance upon a pack that sets up at our doorstep.” He paused then, giving his muzzle a quick shake. “But I will not judge him until I meet him – and I think it best you inform @Aria and @Osprey of what you know. Leadership of this pack is upon them – it is not either of our place to make these decisions.”

His nose tipped downward to nudge her gently, knowing his words were likely not what she wished to hear. One day she might very well lead them all – but for now, the decisions of these matters were not trust upon her. And he would not see her bear the weight of them.
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
we would rely on no one, she gently pressed, though she could understand his discomfort towards the wolves of the bay setting up camp so near to donnelaith and so would not even think of arguing upon that point. she knew the benefits of them coming to live where they would, though now she pondered on what her brother said. alright--we will meet him together sometime, soon, deirdre caused her heart to settle at the thought. constantine would feel at peace upon meeting the man, surely? skellige was a brute, but he was a good man, a man that had saved her many a time when he had no need to.

as far as informing aria and osprey, deirdre nodded. i had presumed he might wish to meet with them, first. i will speak with them, too, if her brother saw that as the best course of action, she trusted him implicitly. the days following this one would be busier than she could know, but her intent was good, and she spoke with the desire to truly do this. she sighed worriedly at his words, thinking that perhaps osprey and aria both might not be so keen on the neighbors who would soon settle upon the bay... but her heart believed that they would meet him, and come to know him, and see the good of his being there. deirdre selfishly wished for skellige's nearness for many a reason--he was a giant shadow that had only brought her safety and happiness, and she only ever thought of him with fondness. i always want to do what is best for donnelaith, she told him, her eyes warm; this place was a sanctuary, to her, and she truly meant no harm to ever be done to it.
579 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Wrap up?
She assured him all would be well, but he remained unsettled. Only until he met the man and knew a true alliance was maintained between them would he feel at ease, but none of this was in his power – a thought that was becoming more frustrating, given his now adopted role as guardian to his youthful sister. Deirdre did not need a puppysitter – she far looked the aprt of an adult. But their conversation only today reminded him of how innocent she truly was, and not yet within the adult ranks, he believed his position to look after her as his primary course.

It was far harder to do, when he held no authority.. but nor was he one who had sought it before.

“I know,” he murmured softly in response to her expression of doing what was best for their pack. “Just remember, Deirdre.. you should aspire to be within leadership one day, but you cannot make such decisions without the blessing of Aria and Osprey. They are our leaders – father trusted them both enough to be so.” With that, the man made to sweep a gentle kiss to her forehead before nodding in a direction down a winding path – perhaps they could walk and allow the serious conversation to drift elsewhere for now?
826 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
WOW . FADING WHAT THE

deirdre took his words to heart, nodding and keeping them in her mind to remember. she would look for her elders for wise advice, knowing that they could tell her what she wished to know when she needed to know it. she would seek aria and osprey after their own meeting, but on this day something would distract her from her task. deierdre wanted to do right by her brother, and hummed, i hope to never disappoint you, and the duo continued to walk and talk with one another.