Dawnlark Plains Whied we leef home?
193 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Private 
For @Jhala @Reek @Astik any of them, or all! :D

Tapat was a mess as soon as his parents were leaving the safety of the grotto. The young boy had not been as playful or blissfully enthusiastic after the attack. He had stayed in the grotto, in their den, hoping that he would not be attacked. He saw the outside world as unsafe. He linked the outside with the attack. To his horror his parents wanted him to follow outside. They were the only wolves he knew and trusted. His short term memory wasn't working well and it didn't help that the attack was branded in his long term memory.

The pup eventually followed them because his parents and brother were also making him feel safe. So if he would stay alone he would be worse than to be with them outside. That thought helped but the pup was quick to jump and hide when the wind howled or when ice was creaking under their feet. Tapat was nestled to one of his parents's side or trying to get under their belly as they walked. He was in luck that both parents were large so he could get under them still. "Whied we leeef home?," he asked perhaps for the 12th time that day. He kept forgetting and perhaps that was another indicator that something wasn't well with the pup.
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
The boy wasn't right. There was something off about him and Reek had known for quite a while, but as he aged it became much more obvious. First, Reek equated his son's memory issues with him being young. Kids had short attention spans and information went in one ear to only spill out of the other. That was normal, he figured. In fact, as a child, Reek himself had trouble paying attention. But Tapat was different, the kid just couldn't hold on to anything for longer than a few minutes. Over and over, he repeated questions -- and each time Reek would give the same answer.

"I already told you buddy. We can't stay at the grotto because we don't have enough hunters to make it though the winter," he explained for the umpteenth time. "That's why we gotta find a new home." He looked down and smiled at the boy who weaved between his legs. It was all for them.
193 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Tapat felt very save between his father's legs so he kept walking there. He looked up and then frowned. "I did?," he questioned. The pup looked troubled for a moment. He forgot again. Why did he keep forgetting things? He didn't know why. Astik didn't forget. "I'm sorry, Daddy," he spoke defeatedly. He padded along, deciding it was vital to stay close to his parents.

"So, we dwidn't leave because of the attak? Because it wasn't safe wight? Are we going somewher safe now?," he asked. Maybe he had asked that too, he wouldn't know. He hoped not. He felt really stupid when others told him he already asked certain things. He was pretty confident he hadn't asked this yet. Then the question slipped a bit from his mind. Of course the boy knew he was different. "Daddy," he asked softly. "Why do I keep forgetting things?,' he asked. "Am I bworken?"

Tapat was very confused because he could remember his papa and his mama and of course Astik. But he couldn't remember locations or things he asked. But then he could remember the attack and be scared it happened again. He didn't know why. He was rather confused by it.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
He nodded. "Yes, we're going somewhere much safer," Reek answered with a gentle, reassuring voice despite not knowing himself if what he said was truth. As a father, his job was to comfort his child -- to make him feel safe above all else. He knew he hadn't felt safe ever since the time Laurel attacked him. Lord knows, the boy deserved some stability. Unfortunately, with leaving home behind Reek couldn't offer stability. In fact, he was leading them into quite the opposite, but he told himself that this would be better for the entire family in the long run.

It was clear to see that Tapat was frustrated with his persistent memory issues. In fact, there were times that Reek found it frustrating himself, though he never let that on in any way. He bit his lip in an uncomfortable display. "You're not broken Son," he answered. Problems aside, Reek loved his son unconditionally. In his eyes, Tapat was perfect. "You're just a bit different, that's all." He smiled and tried to be as reassuring as he could possibly be.
193 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Tapat looked at his father with widest eyes when he told him that he was not broken, just different. He felt different but he was not sure if that was a good thing. His father and mother seemed love him very much. Tapat glanced at his father. "So different is not bad?," he returned wanting to make sure before he would forget again. "Will you help me remember that it is not bad, Daddy?,"he asked. He didn't want to come over as stupid. If only he would have a name for this!
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Reek shook his head. "Different isn't bad at all," he answered. Of course, different could be a hindrance, but some of the best wolves in Reek's mind were different. He thought briefly of the late Pantaleimon, who's gender confusion could definitely be construed as different. Differences aside, Reek didn't let his old friend's oddities define him. He instead thought of his kindness -- which Reek too saw in Tapat.

"I'll remind you every day if I have to." Reek smiled. "And so will Mom." He figured the boys were lucky that they had two positive parental figures in their lives. It was unfortunate that he couldn't provide the same for Laurel, but Reek could only do so much.
193 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Tapat's tail started whipping behind him and then he nodded. He was glad that his father wasn't mad at him for being different or that he wasn't annoyed by all his questions. However he didn't get an answer why he would forget all the time. Couldn't it be healed? He hoped so. Tapat brain filled with questions again but his father's words soothed him. He snuggled close against his father and gave him little licks.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Wanna push this to 10 posts so we can use it for pack formation?

His son fell silent, needing no more explanation on his peculiar condition. This pleased Reek, because addressing a subject like this was always difficult, even if Tapat was completely agreeable. Someday, Reek knew that his son's memory issues would have to be addressed in depth, as his father would not be there for him all the time -- nor could he. Reek, after living a rather chaotic life, was now in the throes of middle age. Despite his own primal fear of his own mortality, Reek knew he would not be around forever.

As Tapat weaved though Reek's legs, he stumbled awkwardly over his son. "Walk at my side Bud," he bid the boy. "We've got a long way to go." He couldn't trip over his son the entire way, or at least, it wouldn't make a comfortable trip.
193 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Definitely!

Tapat looked up his father's words and moved from under his belly to his side. He was small and the winds instantly tugged on his coat. He disliked traveling. Though there was some conflict within him. The traveling was something he disliked but he also remembered their home and the cave from which he was scared to get out of. He had been out of the cave for days now and nothing happened, at least nothing he could remember. So that would mean traveling was not so bad, and that he wasn't going to get hurt anymore. That soothed him.

He tried to keep up with the big steps of his dad. "My pawss awr cold," he responded. "Mai tail tooo," he added. "Anwd my noos. Anwd my earws." Tapat was never really one to complain. And now it was more like a statement than an actual protest. He could feel his paws, nose, ears and tail being cold from the wind and freezing temperatures around them. "When will we gwet to ouwr new home?"
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
You can fade with your next post if you want!

The boy drew away, and finally Reek could walk unhindered. He still kept his strides small, just as Jhala and Laurel did, so the youngsters could easily keep up. Try as he might to make the burden as light as he could for his two boys, Reek knew that the road was not a place for children. It was harsh, uncertain, and unforgiving. It was an inhospitable home, far beneath what they deserved. Yet, it was all Reek could provide. For how cold he was himself, Reek could only imagine how much it worse it was for the child.

He was unsure how much the boys would be able to take.

"Soon," he settled. There really wasn't much time to spare anyway. Reek looked to his son and tried to reassure him with a smile despite the fact that he could not reassure himself. "But you're home whenever you're with me and your mom -- anywhere." As long as the family stood together, they would stay strong. Reek was sure of that.
193 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Tapat's eyes went wide with his father's reminder. He instantly felt better about being in the cold because he wanted to be with his family. He was very attached to his papa, mama and his bother. So he would never want to leave them. At least Reek motivated Pat enough to start walking with some more activity. The youngster seemed easily motivated with the mention of family. "Okay, Papa," he agreed. He could only agree. It felt like he was home when he was with his family, otherwise he would feel desperately alone. Tapat slowly forgot about the cold and stayed motivated enough to keep up with his dad.

- end <3 -