King Elk Forest Granddad isn't doing so well
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
Burke's ever grim face scowled as he shot daggers at the world around him. He squinted his eyes trying to see better but things were getting blurry lately. The old man was fuming because he felt mentally alright but his body just wouldn't cooperate. His whole body was starting to decline. Burke huffed, stepping forward at a stiff pace, he liked to think he was going fast but he was going at the pace of a snail. This might be for the best as he stopped just in time before he walked into a tree.

The old man groaned. Maybe it was better that the male couldn't see so well anymore, as he wouldn't see his own reflection as well either. Burke had aged heavily since the summer. The incoming cold made his body burn more of his fats. His winter coat wasn't coming through as it did the previous years. He was turning into a skinny old man that stiffly waddled through the forest. His square tank-like body had given way to a gangly body. Burke was stubborn enough not to call for help. But he did realize that he would need to find his den to have shelter from the cold. He turned around and squinted his eyes further to try and find something familiar. His nose wasn't helping either. A low grumble in frustration came from the male's throat. Was this how he would go? His body too old to continue while his mind was still too stubborn to continue.
[Image: 141skqx.png]
Guardian, Mentor and Therapist
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist
truthfully, she had been hiding her face from him.

she had craved the audience of mato's grandfather since her return yet she knew if he shared the same opinion that delight and mato had held, he would be furious with her.  so she avoided him.

yet she figured — honestly — she could not hide forever.  so this morning she sought him out.

she found him slowly moving through the trees, patches of fur falling out of him where winter coat should be growing in but wasn't, the grey in his fur more apparent than ever.

Burke?
[Image: 70c0c50922211f79c19a9fbb2dbe797a.png]

1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Everyone still welcome to see old Burke struggling xD
Burke didn't really hear the other approach. When she spoke, however, Burke turned and squinted. He couldn't really make out at first who it was. But he did know that it was a female. He took a good whiff to tell him that it was Brienne. He hadn't seen her in a long time. "Eh?," he groaned and then squinted his eyes.

"Brienne? Weren't you like gone or something?," he spoke. He wasn't really up to date with all. He did know that he hadn't seen her in a long time. The old man's body was lightly trembling, he couldn't control it. He wasn't sure if it was the cold or not. Burke took a step forward, trying to see if that helped to see her better.
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist
Mobile post! I will do formatting later.

---

She moves closer for him, watching him shiver and squint. A pang of guilt grips her throat. If she had been here, could she have taken care of him? Given him company?

His words, she thinks, are not intended to be harsh but they hurt just the same. "Yes. I strayed outside the borders and was captured, injured." 

She doesn't know if he can see her limp and the gashes or not. She doesn't know if he knows about them, about her and Mato. It doesn't matter.

"Can I do anything for you?"

1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Burke frowned even deeper when he heard that she had been staying outside of the borders and was captured. The old male let out a loud huff. "Who did that?! I should hunt them down and injure them too," he spoke passionately. It hadn't been a secret he had drawn a liking to Brienne as a mate for his grandchild. Still, it was clear that the old man couldn't do anything he said. He couldn't even find his way to his den.

Burke let out a soft puff. He didn't want to admit that he needed help but then again, he was going to freeze to death if he didn't get any shelter soon. "I can't seem to find my way back to the den," he admitted to her quietly. "If you could guide me back?" The older male couldn't see her injuries but he would probably notice when they would walk together.
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist

the expression on his face soured even more and for a moment she worried that he was going to be mad at her, too, but with his outburst she could not help but to smile, just a little.  

burke had been the first one to really express worry or anger for her in her return. delight had been guilty and mato had just been angry with her.

but she didn't need to worry the old man with that.  she didn't know if she could lie and pretend like everything was just peachy but she wouldn't burden him with it now.  maybe if he perked up, in the spring.

i took care of them, she said, but mato told me he would make sure everyone who travels outside the borders of tindome goes in pairs now.

when he admitted to her he could no longer see something inside her hurt for him (and a little bit for herself, too — how could the only person on her side be actively dying). yes, of course, she said without judgment, do you need anything else?  herbs?  more bedding for warmth?  whatever she could do for him. she desperately wanted him to make it through the winter.
[/ooc]
1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Haha, totally him.
Burke thought he saw that familiar smile. The elder was glad that she seemed happy to see him. He disliked the idea that others had it out for them. Their pack was already relatively small. He wasn't sure what their exact member count was now.

"You fought them off, eh?," he questioned. He almost sounded impressed. Almost. Burke wasn't one to be quickly impressed. He was glad that she was back though. "That is smart of Mato. He will be alright," he nodded slowly.

Burke was glad to hear that she would help him back to his den. Briefly, that frown vanished from his face. He started to follow the shape that he thought was Brienne. "Herbs? Nah. Bedding would be nice for the old bones, though now it is winter most is frozen. So don't bother," he spoke. He still didn't want too much help. He liked to think that he was fine.
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist

yeah, she begins, but then she doesn't know what else to say because yes, she had ran them off.  timid, doe-eyed brienne had fought and possibly even killed someone and although it was probably nothing to the seasoned grandpappy it was everything to her.  guess i did.  they roughed me up pretty bad though.

she rolled her shoulders, letting her breath hitch.  she had to be careful with her words if she were to keep the incident, the return from burke.  sorry. i wouldn't want to smother you, she says and laughs for the first fucking time since she's come back to this godforsaken forest, because honestly how casual was this?  the corners of her mouth quirked up before she let them go again, quickly.

thanks for the company.

1,707 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Therapist
Master Guardian
Burke grinned a bit. He liked it when females could stand their ground as well. The male had always liked his strong females, like Malice, and his previous wife Meldresi. He wondered when he would die if he would see her again. Did he want to see her again? He wasn't sure. "Well, next time you will have the upperhand, I'm sure."

Burke's pace was quite slow but he was getting there, inch by inch. The older male crackled a bit, it was almost like laughter. "I will call you out on it if you smother me too much," he returned. Technically it should be Malice doing all of this. She was just doing her own thing. Burke couldn't blame her as he could see she didn't want to hang out with an old male. "Likewise," he admitted and then showed a more genuine smile.