Blacktail Deer Plateau On the borders
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
@Peregrine ^^ I was going to have him join Silvertip and still kind of want to if you are ok doing an inter-pack friendship.... if you would rather him join Blacktail though I understand =D

Taking in the scents, Dante slowly approached the border to the strange pack's lands, every sense on alert. He had been making the rounds, scouting these lands into which he and Helena had stumbled (she literally). There were so many packs here and yet all lived in relative harmony... it was baffling to him. What kept them from tearing each other apart, or the stronger from swallowing the weak? This kind of harmony was unheard of, at least from what he knew. Perhaps it was the fact that no pack seemed that much weaker than any of the others. From what he could tell they were about on equal footing with members save one, and that one was far removed from the others by waters. Or maybe they had struck an accord, the alphas of these lands.

Whatever the case, it was strange. Most pack lands he had skirted rather broadly, but these he let himself linger closer to, somewhat emboldened by the lack of confrontation from his previous travels. So far everyone he had met had been rather... well, friendly. He wondered if Helena was having the same luck. She was either charming the tails off of all she met or raising hell, he thought affectionately. He'd grown to think of her almost in the same terms he had thought of Tarin. It made him protective, though less so in her case. She, unlike Tarin, seemed more than capable of caring for herself. Still, though, he'd need to find her soon if she didn't find him first.

He wasn't about to enter this pack's lands, however. He had no desire to tangle with an angry alpha and had no need to travel through. Raising his head, he noted the position of the sun. Looked like he was spending another night on his own. Not that he wasn't used to it. It was wierd to think, but he had spent more of his life out of a pack than in one. Being alone was somewhat second nature to him now, though instinctually he did yearn for the structure and safety of a group. Dante was a wolf who liked to know his place. Calling his own shots was fine, but it was also lonely.

Well, I've seen all I need to see here, he thought to himself, turning to leave. Time to go find the squirt and plan our next move. He did know one thing for sure... he wasn't about to join a pack without her unless she decided that they needed to part ways.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
That's totally up to you! Perry doesn't usually make friends outside the pack. However, if this takes place before Dante joins a pack and they hit it off, he may remain pals. It all depends on how things play out. :)

Although there was no love lost between himself and Hawkeye at this point, Peregrine's anger had given way to a healthy dose of pain. How could she do that to me? he wondered, trying and failing to block out mental images of his brother mounting his wife (at the time). He closed his eyes and tried to clear his head, yet he simply couldn't derail this train of thought; it remained solidly on its tracks. Eventually, he gave up and let the mental movie play, causing his heart to twinge painfully in his chest and his stomach to burn like a vat of acid.

His eyes popped open suddenly when a light wind gusted against his face, bringing with it the scent of a strange wolf. From his perch at the edge of the plateau, he glanced down into the flat lands and saw a gray wolf wandering in the purple shadows of dusk. Peregrine's dusky eyes tracked him. Normally, he would've left the wanderer alone, as long as he left the plateau alone. But, happy for a distraction, the Alpha jumped to all fours and began to pick his way down to the borders.

"Hey," he called to stop the unfamiliar male from disappearing into the murky evening shadows.
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
This is true! If Dante joins with Jinx I doubt he'll be making too many friends with outsiders either. I've got another good while to be a loner though, so we can see what happens.

He'd been about to leave, but a strange voice stopped him. Dante turned, ghostly eyes watching the stranger approach from within pack lands. Hell, he thought, just my luck. For a moment he wondered if he should run... but there was no trace of hostility in the call. He would have thought they might chase him off despite the fact that he had not crossed. At this point he was still rather close to their borders.

Even as this strange male approached, he didn't seem aggressive. Well, nothing for it. Dante'd been a veritable social butterfly this past while, might as well keep it up. "Greetings." He dipped his head, but remained standing on the opposite side of the border. He didn't want to give this other wolf any cause for anger, for from scent he had a guess as to who it was he was addressing. Remaining respectful, he waited, wondering what had caused the other wolf to stop him if he was not to be chased out.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
The other wolf seemed uncertain as he turned to face Peregrine, as if wondering what the swarthy male wanted from him. Nonetheless, he returned the Alpha male's greeting. A short pause followed this as Peregrine realized he had no idea what he planned to say. He had no real reason for coming down here, no business with this stranger.

After a few beats, he settled on asking, "What brings you this way, stranger?" Did you know my wife spread her legs for my brother? a voice inside his head, unbidden, wanted to ask. Of course, Peregrine didn't actually say this out loud and made his best effort to shove that thought back in the filthy pit from which it had risen.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
As a pause lingered, more measuring than awkward, Dante took some measure of the stranger. He was pretty much on par with Dante's size, an imposing presence. And yet Dante felt at ease. He didn't have that guarded, accusatory tone that he normally met on pack borders. Instead he almost seemed hesitant.

Did he just want to talk? His question made sense in context, but to Dante it didn't seem as though the other wolf really cared. If he did it would have been asked with a lot more purpose. Not that he minded, of course. In a way he understood. Over the past few weeks it had been refreshing, talking with strangers. They had no preconcieved notions about you, no real expectations. Yet another reason Dante was simply toying with the thought of putting down roots here.

"Just passing through, for the most part. I'd heard there was a pack this way, thought I would see for myself. No worries though, I'm not here for any trouble." He looked over across the plateau. "The name's Dante. Beautiful lands you have here." He hesitated. "Not to be forward, but I'm surprised you didn't have my hide, not that I mind. I'd heard some of the packs in these lands were less than kind to those who got too close." He shrugged. "Not that I blame them."
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
The male spoke in a smooth, almost serene manner, which calmed Peregrine's nerves and, for the moment, kept that ugly voice at bay. As he talked, the swarthy Alpha subtly studied him, memorizing his features and categorizing his scent. He didn't know why, except that it was something to do to keep his mind busy.

"Thanks," he replied, then introduced himself in turn: "I'm Peregrine. This is Blacktail Deer Plateau." He paused. "And I guess you just caught me in the right mood; some days I'm territorial to a fault and others..." He trailed off, shrugging. "And I bet that's Jinx you're referring to. I've heard she's ridiculously territorial, which is hilarious to me, considering the time she trespassed and I served her own ass to her on a platter," he mused.

Shifting his weight from his left to his right leg, Peregrine wetted his lips, tipped his head slightly and asked, "Are you affiliated with a pack?"
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"Suppose I should count my lucky stars then. I'd have hated to stir up trouble. Well met, Peregrine." Seems he'd been caught in a social mood... normally Dante didn't talk this much. It had been a good day though, and he'd gotten used to being around Helena and her companionship. Wandering alone, one almost forgot how to speak if they went long enough. Besides, wolven got strange sometimes with too much time to their own thoughts. Dante had seen it before and hoped never to have to endure that.

He chuckled at the irony of Peregrine's next statement. "I can imagine that gave you quite a laugh. Somehow I doubt she was laughing so much though." Jinx. He wondered which territory she had settled in, but didn't ask. Instead he responded to the next question.

"Not at the moment. My friend and I just got to these lands not too long ago. You have many packs, and I'm not one to take the choice lightly. Which really explains my being at your borders like a creep, in any event." He smiled nonchalantly. He figured Peregrine might understand, it was logical to want to explore the options. "I've learned it isn't wise to put your life in the control of an Alpha without serious consideration. I hate breaking vows once I've made them."
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
"No," he agreed, "when she left, I'd torn off half her face and her tail was stuck to her belly like sap." He smirked ever so slightly at the recollection. It hadn't been so long ago, yet it was ages in canine years. And though the thought of Jinx made his lip curl inwardly, he didn't actually hold a grudge against her or her pack mates, so long as they maintained their distance.

"Well, those are good values to have," the swarthy leader said, an ear flicking in response to a noise off to his right, though paid it little attention otherwise. "What are you looking for in a home? I'm not typically one to make sales pitches—no need, as we do well enough without any bullshitting—but I can tell you about the plateau if you're interested."

Silently, secretly, he added an addendum to that: Anything to keep me from picturing my brother's red rocket angling for my wife's pink socket. He couldn't remember where he'd heard that... ah, he'd overheard Bones say that once and it had stuck with him. It had been a kiddie joke at the time, something that had amused him, but right now it just made him feel sick to his goddamn stomach.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"Sounds like quite the picture". Dante couldn't imagine, having never met Jinx. His next question caught Dante a bit off guard, causing him to pause before answering. He'd been doing the scouting, trying to gather as much information as he could about each without entering their lands, but did he really even know what he was looking for? It wasn't like there was a checklist he had stored away. But he really didn't have a good idea.

"Suppose if I knew the answer to that, I might have found it by now." Dante responded, thoughtful. "I guess it's something that I have yet to come across. I mostly know what I'm not looking for." Not home, he added silently, though he wondered that he still referred to it as such. He had been a pup when he left... the whole wide world was more his home than those packlands.

"I'd enjoy hearing more about here from the source, though. Can't pass up an offer like that." Dante sat, prepared to listen to what he had to say. It was good to hear that they didn't need to glaze of the facts... he hated dishonesty, even for such a reason as recruiting. Some could be really two-faced about the whole thing. He wondered at that, though... how packs like that could survive without strong leadership. Then again, he wondered how all these packs around here survived without tearing one another apart. He took that to be sign number one that these lands were definitely not like his birth pack.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Dante obliged him, seating himself and offering his unwavering attention. Peregrine followed suit, dropping to his haunches and facing the other male. He found himself catching Dante's eye and peering into that spectral gaze. "You have pretty eyes," he blurted without thinking, then went a bit wide-eyed, laughed awkwardly at himself and added, "No homo."

Clearing his throat, the Alpha male thought where to start. "We're called Blacktail Deer Plateau. I'm currently the solitary Alpha. My former mate, Hawkeye, founded the pack and ruled beside me. Our mate-ship ended and she stepped down, though the two are actually unrelated. I have a Beta, Blue Willow, and the ranks include several warm bodies, including one of my brothers.

We don't ally ourselves with any of the other packs in these parts,"
he continued, "though I don't discourage mingling or anything quite that controlling. I run this pack like it's made up of wild wolves." He paused, eyes glittering at his ironic statement. "And though I don't push any trade in particular—so long as you're working toward something, that's great—but we will always have plenty of space for hunters and guardians in particular."

Peregrine stopped there, giving Dante room to ask questions, should he have any.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante was a bit surprised by the compliment, but pleased. Compliments were a rare thing for him... he was used to just kind of blending into the surroundings. Sure he'd had nice things spoken of him, but they were mostly of the type 'mellow', or 'reliable', or even 'agreeable'. Not generally physical. "Thank you, I could say much the same of yours." He noted the addition with amusement... no homo. He didn't feel the need to add such a thing, he assumed the other male would take what he wanted from it.

He figured that Peregrine was probably used to getting compliments, he really was a lovely specimen. Yet still very easy to talk to. Dante could see himself getting along very well with this other male. But friendship? Maybe. After all, the conversation was going well. Dante just had a hard time really connecting. He was well aware of this fact, it was one of the things that made him rather unmemorable. It was something he was working on... he just hadn't gotten very far on that whole improvement front.

As Peregrine spoke of the pack, Dante could see that he did take pride in his home. An admirable trait in an Alpha. If the leader didn't love the pack that was usually the first sign to cut and run. He was a bit curious when he mentioned his no-longer mate... it was unusual for such a thing to occur amongst their kind, but manners declined any sort of reaction. Those types of things were better left alone unless brought up by those directly involved. "All good traits for a pack," he responded, somewhat impressed with the Alpha's direct manner and description. And an alpha, he thought silently. Honestly, he liked this wolf... but Helena had equal say in where they stayed, and he would have to discuss it with her before joining up with a pack. "And those jobs both seem right up my alley, I make a better fighter than scout. Though I'm sure that's self explanatory." He smiled good-naturedly. It was a trade-off he'd gladly take, he enjoyed defending when the cause was worth fighting for. He liked to hear that though... that defenders were worth more than fighters. Dante didn't like much the idea of taking the fight across borders, an ideal that these wolves seemed to share.

"I guess my main question would be, what do you feel your pack has that others in these parts do not?" Dante met his eyes briefly, not a challenge, per say, but more to show the directness of the question. He broke the contact after only a moment, flicking his black-tipped tail. He was curious as to what the response would be. It was not only in praise of your own pack that character was shown, but also in your criticism of the competition. Dante wouldn't judge his bias harshly, after all, they were rival packs. But still, he was curious.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
"Strength," he answered promptly, "and a tightly-knit core. Even with the Alpha pair dissolving, we haven't faltered. In fact, I'd say we're stronger than ever before. Individually, the plateau's wolves are powerful. Together, as a team, we are indomitable." Peregrine paused thoughtfully. "Even with others moving in close to our territory, we don't bother worrying about them as we are fiercer than any competition. We will kill them directly if they come too close and indirectly by dominating the local resources."

He went silent for a few beats, then continued, "We also have a bright future. I'm not sure about the other packs—I don't concern myself with them much—but we have four strong, healthy pups here. One day, one if them will rule in my stead, I'm sure. I'm very proud of them."
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
So, not only brawn, but with a touch of wisdom also, Dane thought as the alpha spoke. His talk of dominating not only through violence, but through resource use, was one many would not take into account. Most wolves thought with their claws and teeth, that the only way to beat an enemy was in combat. True generals, though, knew how to use other methods to either take what was not theirs or keep what was. It seemed the focus here was on the latter. And though that may not be the title here, Peregrine seemed a true General.

He was surprised to hear, though, that Peregrine didn't take an active interest in the packs surrounding. How could he be so assured of his pack's station if he did not know the strengths and status of the surrounding wolves? It could show either an admirable confidence or a severe flaw to let one's pride make such statements. Dante reserved judgement, though... again, he didn't know these lands, nor would he presume to anytime soon. "As I am sure you should be. A bright future is a great strength and shows that a pack is truly thriving." A child's inheritance. Peregrine spoke so proudly, with such hope and happiness for the future, yet it sent a small barb to Dante's core. Had his own father done as such, perhaps things would have been different.

"You paint a pretty picture, good sir," Dante said, smiling. "But with a wolf like you at the helm, how could it not be? You seem truly capable, I respect that." He tipped his head in a salute. "In all honesty, I in no way see the appeal to your situation. It is a lot of responsibility, but you wear the burden well." Dante could tell, by how he held himself and spoke, why it was Peregrine's pack looked to him as leader.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
"Yes," he agreed with a dip of his hoary muzzle, "we have laid down roots that will grow into a powerful tree that will flower and bear fruit over the years... at least, that's what I hope for." Peregrine's eyes twinkled as he spoke so... grandiosely. It certainly wasn't typical for him, yet something about Dante inspired his highest manners.

The swarthy leader accepted Dante's flattery and praise with a small smile and another nod. "Thanks, Dante. What do you mean, though, when you say you don't see the appeal of my situation? Do you mean leadership or something else?" he pressed, merely curious.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante enjoyed hearing Peregrine talk of his pack. This was a true alpha, to speak with such joy and exuberance. His eyes were alight with it, and his love for his pack was obvious. This talk was making the life of a loner seem all the more, well, lonely, but Dante was very glad that Peregrine's pack was doing well. In fact, surprised at how glad he was. He really liked this male, and the fact that his happiness made Dante glad showed that he already considered Peregrine somewhat a friend. Normally it took a few conversations for such a thing to occur.

"I'm sorry, I mean no offense. I've just never held any aspirations towards leadership. In my home pack, I should have inherited the role of Comm- Alpha, but obviously that did not work out. I would rather someone more suited to making such decisions make them. I would make a terrible leader." Dante smiled sheepishly. He had almost slipped, but corrected himself. Obscurum ranks were unknown here. Thank heavens for that much.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
"No, I'm not offended at all," Peregrine reassured his companion, then fell silent to let him finish before adding, "It takes a lot of intelligence and humility to acknowledge your place in life. I feel like many of us place a lot of emphasis on power and leadership. But a leader is nothing if he doesn't have loyal followers. We can't all be Alphas, nor should we be. There's nothing wrong with being a Beta or a mid-ranking wolf or even an Omega. Each has his place in the pack."

Dante wasn't the only one taking a moment here and there to marvel at the camaraderie developing between them. Peregrine rarely gave strangers the time of day, much less befriended them. He supposed that Dante's lack of pack affiliation helped his case, yet still... it was almost like there was a spark between them, a certain chemistry. Peregrine naturally didn't apply any romantic connotations to it. He just simply thought he'd found a cool dude with whom to shoot the shit... or whatever.

And as much as he was enjoying his new acquaintance's company, and as thankful as he was for the distraction from the grotty thoughts plaguing his mind, Peregrine knew it was time to return home to his kids. "Dante, my man, it's been a great talk. But I have my dadly duties to return to." His lips twitched into a faint smile. "Maybe I will see you around," he said with a glint in his dusky eyes. He nodded to the lone wolf, then turned and slowly began padding up the plateau.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"I agree completely." It was nice that Peregrine had the same outlook. Some looked down on a wolf with no ambition, would call him a coward or weak because he chose not to aim for leadership. Dante saw it as wisdom that he knew where his strengths lay. Besides, if he ever did go for the role, he would be miserable.

"It really has been. Have fun with the kids! Hopefully our paths will cross again sooner or later." Perhaps sooner, Dante thought. He had a lot to think on these next few days. A lot to think on.