what do i do after all this survival?
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Read Only 

Mature Content Warning

This thread has been marked as mature. By reading and/or participating in this thread, you acknowledge that you are of age or have permission from your parents to do so.

The participants have indicated the following reason(s) for this warning: Implied Suicide

The light of day is slow to rise against the wispy, gray clouds that block out the sky. Darkness looms over the redwoods further inland with the threat of a storm later on in the day. Antumbra watches as they continue to roll in and the promise of wintry doom comes their way. Wind blows a biting wind and she closes her eyes, turning around so she can face the angry roil of sea below the tall cliffs of their northern claim. White caps break far enough back to expose the danger below, impacted by the storm that has yet to arrive.

Antumbra has had a weird feeling for a while now but in the last few days, it has become clear. The abundance of visits by the former commanders had started to wane off again, fewer and farther between, but when they came they made it known. A few words of encouragement to point her in one direction or another but each visit became shorter and grimmer, looming in the back of her mind until she woke up this dreary morning and feeling nothing but emptiness.

Fitting.

An ear flickers behind her seconds before she hears a chuff. Robin stands sentinel behind her, head and tail up with pride. The question burning in his gaze is met only with a nod of affirmation before he turns to go.

There is no coast below the cliffs. Rage in the wake as they beat again and again against the stony face, but the cliffs do not cave beneath the pressure. It accepts the duty, as she always has. She thought the detachment from former commanders would leave her hollow but there is a comfort in knowing she has still done her part. Her heart swells in her chest as she leans forward, a heavy but steady beat of her heart lodging in her throat. Her children are grown and capable and Drageda will be better in their hands and the next commander will steer them with her aid on the other side. If there was one thing she’d had to pick to be proud of, it is her eldest three. Through all their love and loss over the years, they are together again where they are strongest.

Antumbra takes a deep breath of achingly cold air and closes her eyes, feeling the wind whip by her ears as she flies into the sea and—

We were never meant for mortality.
Trigedasleng · Common
all that wanting, all that aching, all that capacity for love:
it never belonged to you in the first place