Lost Creek Hollow when she came back
blood canticle
393 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Private 
looking for a @Gannet if/when you have time :3

true to his word, gannet had visited often since ashlar's birth, bringing food, offering conversation, and now the boy was a month old and quite fond of the kind, pale man. mona too had grown fond of gannet, though she was always careful to couch it in a consistent sort of gratitude.
today mona lay outside her den, blinking dozily in the april sun to which little @Ashlar had already succumbed. he slept curled inside the den, where a ray of warmth puddled around his small body. the young mayfair's jaws split in a wide yawn; she lay her muzzle across her forepaws and soon joined him in a light slumber.
[Image: footer3.png]
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
always!! <3 quick reply so I don't lose it

Their small family was not conventional, but somehow, it suited him. He didn't know nor care about the opinions of the rest of the pack - Liffey had been shocked, but how could anyone not be pleased? Mona seemed happy to share his company, and Gannet was definitely happy to share theirs. And Ashlar...

Gannet hadn't really felt a feeling of protectiveness like the one he felt for the small pup. It was an attachment that was different and outside the normal bounds he felt. Ashlar was neither friend nor not friend, but something more. He was Gannet's responsibility more than anything the pale boy had ever held and he nursed a fierce but quiet love for him.

Today he was stopping by to perhaps play with the latter, but when he saw Mona napping in the sun, he stopped uncertainly. He didn't want to disturb her, but he did sneak forward, peeking into the shaded entrance to see the child sleeping as well near the front. Later maybe.

He turned to go, but as he passed into the shelter of the trees, his shoulder caught a branch with a crack. He froze, then glanced back apologetically, hoping it hadn't been enough to wake either up.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
(Most thread titles come from Into the Fire from the Scarlet Pimpernel)
blood canticle
393 Posts
Ooc — ebony
mona started fiercely, lip curling as scarlet hackles leapt to life upon her shoulders. yet it was all for naught; it was gannet, looking rather sheepish some feet away. "oh!" the little cardinal exclaimed, steadying herself immediately and giving an encouraging wave of her plume. "i suppose ... i was dreaming, maybe."
a quick peek inside the den told her ashlar still slept; mona crept away from the mouth of it, as not to disturb her son's slumber with her voice. "are you well, gannet?" the she-wolf asked softly, a gentle smile upon her muzzle as she looked up at him.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
His ears fell back apologetically as she started awake with a growl. It had been enough and he felt badly for doing it. She seemed most days like she could use the rest, and he did not like to be a bother.

Sorry. He said, chagrined. I just wanted to check. I didn't mean to be loud. If she wanted him to leave he could, he didn't mind.

Today is good. It's warm. He'd been well because of that. He kept his voice low, so that at least he maybe wouldn't wake them both up. I was running. It was a habit he'd picked up when he needed to exercise his leg and one he had kept because he just really enjoyed doing it.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
blood canticle
393 Posts
Ooc — ebony
not at all did she want the man to leave. mona's days were spent almost solely with ashlar for company, and the need to talk to another adult was pressing. "i miss running," she murmured, pressing beneath the trees a few paces more so they could talk at a normal pitch while remaining in sight of the den. "i have run 'round most of the teekons," the cardinal mused, settling herself beneath a pine. 
was she so old now, to only have her memories of that time? ashlar would be large before mona knew it, and there would be time then to pursue what she had loved. for now, mona was content to sit in the pleasant warmth of the day with gannet, eyes half-closing as a breeze passed through the canopy overhead.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She didn't send him away, and seemed content staying awake as she remained sitting. Gannet walked over and sat down next to her, shifting to get more comfortable. His leg had healed long ago but it still sat awkwardly stiff, especially after a long run.

I used to travel. I do sometimes, but before I chose home. He had seen so many places when he had, and he couldn't say he never would again.

This brought his conversation with Liffey to mind, and a troubled cloud crossed his expression. Do you think you'll leave, once you can? He wouldn't mind the answer, but it would be good to know.
blood canticle
393 Posts
Ooc — ebony
caught off-guard by gannet's question, mona's ears splayed somewhat in a consternation she had not meant to show. however, reflective of her maturing self, the girl did not immediately speak. the hollow was uncomfortable without indra, that much was true, but it was not a bad place to reside. she had the attention of her leaders and gannet's care; she was not alone, in truth.
"i'd never considered leaving before," mona answered truthfully, turning her murkwater eyes upon his own. "it seems unlikely, now that i have ashlar." and you, but the little cardinal wisely did not add that part.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Oh, good! He had figured Liffey to be wrong, but her words had made him doubt, and the relief was palpable as she said she planned to stay. That's good, he expressed, smile spreading again. I'd be sad if you left. I want to see places, but I like this home, and you, and Ashlar. Openly honest as always.

He didn't consider his travels to be leaving, since this was a place he always intended to return. And eventually, if he went to learn things, perhaps she or Ashlar or both could come with. They could meet the Firebirds, and the Redhawks, and his family could know them. Then perhaps Ashlar would have more friends out there as well. Gannet would like that.
blood canticle
393 Posts
Ooc — ebony
"oh?" mona answered, timidity spreading wildfire under her cheeks. surely gannet meant that in a most friendly way. all the same, it was nice to hear. lost creek hollow was her home now, regardless of where indra and laurel decided to settle. she missed her friend dearly, and hoped that the wandering children had been found, but this was ashlar's birthplace, and in her son a singular, tight root had been laid.
"what sort of places?" came her eager inquiry, hoping to dispel her brief simpering in the last moment and focus them both on one of her favorite subjects: discussion of traveling.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He didn't notice any affect that his words might have had, but he was glad she now knew. She and Sarah and Liffey and perhaps Rannoch were his primary bonds here - the rest he just did not know well. Oh, and Ibis, though she seemed more like him in that meetings made her quiet.

New places. He responded unhelpfully. That wasn't the extent of it, though, and he could explain more. Different wolves have different things they know. I want to learn and bring it back. He'd met some who were adept at hunting deer in the heavy snows of their home, and others who could navigate wastes using only the stars. What could he have learned if he'd asked about healing from them? Then I could teach. It was a big goal, bigger than perhaps he could comprehend now. But it seemed worthwhile and like something he would enjoy doing, so he was set on it.
blood canticle
393 Posts
Ooc — ebony
"like you teach ashlar," mona murmured softly, murkwater eyes falling thoughtfully on gannet. perhaps that was the pale wolf's calling: to instruct. whatever it was, it had benefitted him greatly, for his skill both in his own life and with her son showed plainly. a small curve of her lips; she looked away and toward the den, where movement announced that ashlar had awoken.
"he never sleeps for long," mona mused to gannet, her jaws splitting thereafter in a yawn that she tried sheepishly to hide. "would you like to come say hello?" she knew he must get on, but she was enjoying his company, though she did not wish to hold gannet all day.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet nodded. That was a thought, too. Perhaps, when he was older, he'd like to learn medicine as well. Him and more, he agreed, happy that she seemed to agree with the idea and think that it was a good one. Gannet was not the type to need validation above his own, but that didn't mean it wasn't welcome.

Gannet's entire demeanor lit up at the prospect. I can watch, if you want, he offered, and while he meant now, it was also something that extended. If she ever wished to, he'd sit for her. Today however he was glad she seemed intent on coming with, because he enjoyed talking with her just as much as Sarah. They understood him, and he never felt pressed or nervous in their company.
blood canticle
393 Posts
Ooc — ebony
wrap up and have another? <3

mona was taken off-guard by the man's offer, but it caused a flush of delight to course through her. ashlar was very fond of the pale wolf; she could see he was quite affectionate toward her son as well. or perhaps she should think of ashlar as theirs, now that gannet had taken up an equal role in the boy's parenting.
whatever it was, mona nodded happily, eyes sparkling with a welcome. she would remain here, perhaps gather herself for a nap in the shade while the two played, and not for the first time was she struck with a sheer bolt of gratitude, that gannet existed.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
definitely! I'll start us one soon (unless you get to it first)

This seemed to make her happy, and Gannet rose and slipped into where Ashlar had been sleeping. He greeted the pup with a small bark and a playful tussle, then settled in to spend some time there. It was good that Mona was able to have time to rest; he remembered how he had been in the time his leg was broken, cooped up and unable to leave. It had been a dark time, and such things were not good for any wolf.