The Sunspire why do piranha plant have bone in it?
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
All Welcome 
@Umi I backdated one day to allow for somewhat realistic travel. Let me know if I need to change anything!

reference
Date: August 7th
Time of Day: Early morning (during sunrise)
Cloud Cover: Overcast
Precipitation: None
Temperature: 57 °F 
Wind Speed / Direction: 10 mph / Southerly   
Viewing Distance: 10 mi

he didn't realize that he had an advantage over the wolves: climbing. he was a champion climber, top tier. but to him it had felt so normal. he just did it. he remembered that his best friend didn't like when he jumped on things.

maybe that's why he got booted from the home server?

nope-no, don't think of that. head empty, no thoughts. just climb. there's something or someone up near the end of this slope.
60 Posts
Ooc — Zina
From one mountain range to the other the cat had travelled. No territory she had yet come across seemed like the ideal place to settle. Her movements up the mountain had been swift and positive. She had wanted to catch the sun as it rose from beyond the valley and swung over the mountain pathways. She had sat in a prime position to catch this scene on a grassy knoll along the mountain steppes. Despite the cloud-coated skies, the lighting was excellent.

The light brought forth by the cool morning gave her full a wonderful golden halo. As she watched the sunrise, she heard a sound and jolted when a feline figure appeared on the slope. Previous encounters with males of her kind had left her with a small scar on her side. Though she was sure she had found no sign of a claim to these lands on her climb, her tail puffed up like a toilet brush and her ears swivelled backward.

Wh-who goes there? she hissed, feigning strength, clearly terrified.
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
he got distracted from his climb. his head lifted into the air as he caught the scent of something. there was another. some one like him, finally. younger, maybe? definitely smaller. definitely a girl.
OHMYGODITSAGIRL- he whipped his head around to see her, his own fur raised slightly. why was she scared of him? he was scared of her! he was terrified, really. shit, shit, play it cool — he wasn't ready for this at all. hey, hey woah, he said, both to her and himself. i ain't, i'm not gonnaa...uh...hurt you or nothin?
60 Posts
Ooc — Zina
The male had an odd tone. He didn't sound particularly threatening. If he wanted her off his mountain, this was definitely not the way to do it. Her tail swished of its own accord as she sized up the boy. He was the first younger boy she'd encountered since her brothers her left their mother several months before. She sniffed at him curiously, relaxing somewhat.

O-okay, Umi relented, blinking. She swallowed nervously, breathing deeply to compose herself. She straightened up after a moment, her goofy tail returning to a normal size. I'm Umi, I uhm, I came up here to watch the sun but clouds are in the way. Truth. She gestured with her nose at the valley below, now dipped in the golden shadow of cloud cover. Her gaze quickly returned to him, for though she was a trusting animal, she was not about to put herself in undue danger.
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
she calmed down, which was good. she wasn't threatened by him. but he certainly was, which...was different, maybe, than what she had felt. he felt jittery in a way that he couldn't really place, except for the echoing girlgirlgirl that was in his brain. did all girl pumas have blue eyes? shoot, this was the first time he met a girl puma. shit this was the first time he met another mountain lion period. 'm ben....benry he was able to hear her better, which was nice after hearing nothing but wolf-voices for the past few days.th-tha, that's cool. i, uh... i uhhh just came up here. he said, realizing just how lame he sounded.
60 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Benry. What a weird boy. He seemed as though he had just escaped something terrifying that might still be chasing him. Umi glanced past him, raising her head in order to see farther. There was nothing there. She wondered if he might be worried that she might attack him. The very thought was almost laughable given he carried a significant weight advantage over her.

Oh, do you live here? It was a question that she suspected the answer to. There was always the off chance he might just be trying to stake a claim to the mountain. I've been looking everywhere for the perfect place to settle, but everything is taken or the hunting areas are awful, she said, making a face like she'd eaten something bitter. It had been a bit frustrating. Lions and wolves alike were fiercely territorial and Umi just couldn't seem to catch a break.
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
no, i, uhhh, just came round. i just got, uhhh, got kicked out. it was the first time that he had said that to anyone else. why'd he say that to her? would she even know what he was talking about? he'd been the only mountain lion in his owner's neighborhood. did other people own mountain lions? we supposed to settle? he asked, genuine confusion in his voice. he could barely even handle the whole hunting and instinct thing. was he supposed to settle down? that...sounded right, he guessed. it seemed better than the wandering he was doing right now.
60 Posts
Ooc — Zina
You did? Me too.. Umi answered. They weren't talking about the same thing. While Benry had his own strange story, Umi had been forced out by her mother, who had told her that she was simply too old to be living at home. It had been time for her to make her own way in the world, though she would have happily stayed with her mother permanently, had she been allowed. And yeah, I think so, she began to clarify. My mother said that lions must find and hold a home range. That way, we learn how best to hunt and survive in a single area and can have cubs and be stable, she nodded, as if agreeing with herself.

There were many lessons that her mother had taught her, but one she had failed to mention was how to handle male mountain lions. Catamounts in general were territorial, but Benry seemed... different.
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
wh- he said automatically as he processed her words. mother. the word was foreign to benry, more so than the rules of hunting and territory and interspecies relationships. mm, i can't, i can't uhhh.... he stumbled more than usual, further confused by the new information that umi presented. did everyone just know this? was this something that mothers did? tell their children about the rules? that's cool. sucks that he didn't have that. can't do the cubs thing. yeah. 'm a guy but i didn't, didn't, uhh, trans my gender so i don't have the...don't have the parts for it. he said. so wat am i 'sposed to do? just sit there?
60 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Benry stumbled over his words for a moment, and Umi couldn't help but bow her ears and twitch her whiskers sympathetically. He was so at a loss. It was this charming befuddlement that made her think, he is so cute. As he tried to explain, he only confused her. It seemed to be that he thought he couldn't "do cubs" because he physically couldn't birth them, which had her politely chuckling until he finished by asking a question. At that point, she burst into laughter.

I, heh— she giggled while trying to speak. I'm sorry, I just.. Didn't your mom ever give you 'the talk'? She looked at him expectantly, tilting her head. She was definitely not the one who could possibly tell him if he..didn't know. She was sure he would just naturally figure it out anyway.
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
nah, i don't, uhh... he smacked his lips together and licked them anxiously. i dun' have one. no mom. sad orphan hours. at least he assumed he was an orphan. that was the word for parentless children right? regardless of what happened to them. he shrugged, more embarrassed than sad.
60 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Oh... Umi blinked. She wasn't sure how to react. Who had raised him if not his mother? Father pumas were not exactly the type to stick around for their cubs. Was he raised by some other wild animal? She wondered if a cat had ever been raised by bears.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have assumed. It was a normal thing to assume, but still. He didn't seem to be in pain, flushed but still in decent spirits. She wanted to tell him that babies could only be made with both a male and a female, but he was such an oddity that she became more fascinated with him than tooting her own gospel. So if you didn't have your mother, then who raised you?
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
oh boy! backstory!

uh- he finds himself in a place that he hadn't ventured to in...ever. hazy memories of being smaller float to his mind, being wrapped in blankets with a bottle of something shoved into his mouth, feeling milk-but-not-milk foaming at his lips. lights shining on his face all the while. voices — two-legged voices, with all of those strange tones and inflections, coos and laughter; they were very very complicated. as he thinks about it, the more his mind goes fuzzy. he's squinting with the concentration of trying to remember someone, but can't find anyone, not a two-leg face or a cat face, not until his owner. and he was older then, not a baby, no longer drinking milk-but-not-milk. mmmmdunno? he eventually says, fleeing the recesses of his mind. he hated thinking hard. i had a....an owner tho. til they....uh... til they left me. he knows what happened. he doesn't know why. what'd he do wrong? he hadn't been bad since he was little. he wasn't able to sit on their lap like he used to, but he was still getting scritches and pets. he never hurt no body. not on purpose. i just kinda...kinda woke up here? not, uhh...not here here. he looks around. where'd he come from? down there? he looks west.
60 Posts
Ooc — Zina
*rubs hands together*

The lull in his words made Umi shift to thinking she might have made a mistake in asking. The pressured silence made her uncomfortable; she looked out toward the morning sky pensively before at last Benry answered in slow and bumbling terms.

Owner. She squinted, puzzled. Her lips tightened as she thought of what this might mean. The idea of anyone owning in any sense of the word was foreign. Like a proper feline, she was owned by none. Even her mother and other family had no real claim to her, else her mother wouldn't have disowned and pushed her away when Umi had come of age.

Blue eyes followed his gesture toward the west, but what he said didn't compute. Owner? I don't understand, she said honestly. You forgot? How could he have forgotten where he came from?
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
she had waited for him, which he liked. some people got too upset when he paused — though this was an extra-ordinary situation. he felt more comfortable talking. they were...naked? like...like a baby bird? or a lizard? no fur. but they wore pelts on top. the pelts were weird things. they never smelled like any other animal other than his owner, himself, and the others. when he was smaller, he'd find his way into the warm pelts, when they were taken out of the strange vibrating metal box. his owner'd warm up blankets for him when he got too big for the basket (he might have broken one once). they only...only walked on two legs. the...the other two...they had like...squirrel hands? grabby grabby. he sat back and raised one paw, flexing it to emphasize his point. 

i... he searched himself again. his head was hurting. i was nappin... and and, they woke me and pet me...and i felt something bite my leg....and i got suuuuper sleepy. boooooo, got...got freeeaken bamboozled, man. he shook his head. then i woke up here.
60 Posts
Ooc — Zina
[Image: hooman.png]

Umi tilted her head. Then she tilted it more. And more.
What a weird looking animal.
She looked at his flexed paw. ...Weird, was all she could manage. A real photograph of what Benry was describing probably wouldn't have been any less weird for her. The strangest beast she had ever encountered had been a sea lion, with porcupines as a close second.

The lioness listened to the rest of his strange tale of falling asleep after being bitten by something, then waking up in this area. Her jaw was wide open at that point in disbelief. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard, she said. She could tell he was telling the truth despite its insanity. His nature was so bumbling and odd that she didn't believe him capable of making up something quite this crazy. Abruptly, she closed the distance between them and sniffed at his shoulder and side with hardly an inch of space. She felt her whiskers graze his fur. She did it to confirm he was actually a lion and not.. something else.

Umi stood back again, settling herself on her haunches. Weird. You smell like everyone else, she confirmed, rather puzzled.
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
I cannot tell you how much i laughed when i got this in my inbox

that's wha 'appened... he shrugged. he knew it was strange, and the likelihood of someone else also having that happen to them seemed rare. but he didn't have any better words to describe what had happened either. sure if he was someone else he'd be more eloquent, but he'd always got his point across.

he flinched at her sudden closeness, then froze at the minuscule brush of her whiskers on his fur. this encounter was novel enough for him, being the first time he had a conversation with one of his kind, but for her to get this close? it did something to him. he really couldn't place it - he wasn't one to have strong emotions. it unsettled him, the jolt that hit his stomach. what the hell... uhhhhhhhh.... he began to drone, his brain shorting out.
60 Posts
Ooc — Zina
:D
Benry froze. At first, Umi was very confused by this. Then, as she sat there waiting for a response, her nose told her all that she needed to know; there was an intoxicating nature to his scent. It was something that made her feel excited and rather giddy for no apparent reason. She did not make the connection that she, too, had an effect on him.

Umi let loose something that sounded halfway between a purr and a growl. She threw herself onto her side, apparently comfortable, lifting her head only slightly to speak to him. So you don't live here and you don't really know how you got here, she said, rolling over casually. She lifted her head again to look at Benry and speak. Can I find you here again then?

The lioness was surprised at herself. She did want to see him again. It was strange. He was clearly a friend, not a foe, but that was true for wolves she had met as well. This felt...different. She liked this boy. Hm. She liked this boy.
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
if cats could blush, benry would be beet red. he'd finally gained the presence of mind to stop his droning, clamping his mouth shut with an exaggerated flourish as he stared at her wide-eyed. she rolled onto her side, a position benry himself had been in many times, but it was different with her. she was comfortable enough to lay like that in front of him. him! a boy. crazy. mmmmyeaaahhh.... he'd like what he'd seen of the mountains so far. the air was nice up here and the stones felt good on his paws. and if she was here? well. yeah. of course he'd stay.
60 Posts
Ooc — Zina
We can set something new up whenever :D
Benry exhaled a funny-sounding yes. He had a voice that droned deep and long with practically everything he said, but she was sort of learning to like it. Rather abruptly, Umi pushed her paws under her and stretched herself, first forward and then back. She gave a yawn as she did so.

Well, I'm gonna catch some breakfast while I still have energy, she said. An afternoon nap was sure to come later in the day. Perhaps mountain goat would be on the menu today. She was feeling rather agile. I'll see you 'round, she beamed at him, her tail wiggling at the end like he was the most interesting thing in the world.

She moved slow to listen for his reply, then swiftly disappeared beyond the rocks and slopes.
Boys. She liked boys!