Blacktail Deer Plateau the passportal
812 Posts
Ooc —
You can't get rid of me! ;)

Tagging: @Dante @Blue Willow :)

Junior returned to the plateau a bit leaner and hungrier than she had left it, though still in relatively good health considering she had been on her own for several weeks now. She trotted up to the borders but did not breach them, instead folding herself into a seated position and tilting her head back to gaze up at the place of her birth. Neither her father nor her mother lived here anymore. Her brother had faded from the plateau as well. Yet her sisters lived here, as did her aunt and a smattering of other loved ones. At least for a little while — for the young Outrider could not say she would remain forever — she wanted to come home.

She didn't plan to howl for attention, yet she changed her mind when it began to rain lightly. Pressing her eyes shut, she tipped her head toward the gloomy skies and unleashed a short bay, requesting the presence of one or both of the plateau's remaining leaders. Junior then fell silent, pressing her forepaws together and wrapping her tail around her bony black hindquarters. Her mismatched eyes glowed hungrily in the dim, rainy air as she waited.
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
The rain falling on the plateau fit Dante's mood rather well. Dripping wet, he walked along the edge of the trees, enjoying the chill of the water and the energy that filled the air. True, it was a dreary day, but also peaceful.

A sound cut through the sound of the drizzle, a summons. Was that... Junior? Confused and more than a little surprised, Dante's ears pricked forward, picking up speed to meet the wayward girl. Had she heard what had transpired? And if so, what was she doing back here?

"Junior," he called out, greeting her warmly. "What brings you back to the Plateau?" He didn't say 'back home', though he wanted to. He wasn't sure it would be taken well seeing as she might not see it that way anymore.
aiming for Warrior, Guardian, and Advisor specializations
812 Posts
Ooc —
Hi, thanks for joining! :D

When Dante strode into sight, his fur was darker than usual, presumably because it was drenched. Nonetheless, he looked as handsome as ever. Junior's heart throbbed into her throat and her stomach did a few flip-flops. She wondered if he would be happy to see her, though he didn't leave her guessing. By his tone, he was surprised but delighted to see her.

"Dante, hi!" she said with a brightness that hadn't been typical of her lately. "The Nereides just didn't work out. I made a huge mistake going with them," she readily admitted. "I know about dad and Fox, so I figured... maybe I'd be welcome back here?" She looked at him hopefully, admiring his masculine beauty. Why on earth had she ever thought it was a good idea to follow a society of women who looked down on men like Dante?
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
of course! :D

Her enthusiastic greeting was a balm to him... gods it was good to see another familiar face. "I'm not even going to pretend that that is bad news to me, though I am sorry if you wanted it to work out." He was aware of Peregrine's feelings about the matter, but her father was no longer in charge. And Dante wasn't about to turn the girl away just because she'd chosen a path only to find it wasn't what she had expected.

"Of course you are, though I'm surprised to hear you heard. Who told you?" He hadn't expected the news to travel so fast.

He was extremely happy she confirmed that she was returning to them, hopefully for good. And if it wasn't for good? Just another test of leadership. He wasn't sure he had the heart to keep her from returning should she stray again, as her father had done, though he understood it. Flakey members weren't good for a pack. Another bridge he'd cross when he got there.
812 Posts
Ooc —
Junior didn't take offense at his words; in fact, they warmed her despite the chilling rain. She drew closer to Dante, not consciously but like a moth drawn to a flame. She smiled up at him, careful to avoid looking him in the eye, and nudged his chin. It was both a show of respect and a gesture of appreciation.

When asked how she knew about her father, her eyes gleamed. "I'm an Outrider, remember? It's my job to know everything that's going on." She chuffed. "I was exploring out that way when I ran into a busted-up Fox. We, ah, had some words, then I left and made my way back here. I haven't seen my dad."

Swallowing the lump that threatened to form in her throat, Junior said, "So you're Alpha now? I ran into Saēna and she told me how my dad basically blindsided you guys. But you totes deserve it."
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante still felt he would never get used to the displays of respect given him... they gave an uncomfortable reminder, despite the vast differences, to his position in youth. He would need to, however, for his fate was sealed. He had accepted the responsibility for this little family and he would carry it gladly, if awkwardly for a while.

"How could I forget?" he asked, smiling cheekily back. He appreciated her incorrigible spirit, he'd seen it as a pup of course but now it was growing into a real independence.

"I am, though as to deserving it, that we'll find out. But hey, if I royally screw it up, at least the next one will know what not to do." He was joking, of course, but he was serious about the first part. Only time would tell if he had made the right decision in stepping up.
812 Posts
Ooc —
Junior frowned theatrically at him and made a scoffing noise in her throat. "'Course you deserve it," she assured him. "You won't screw it up," she added. "I should know, I'm an authority on the matter." She laughed, then batted him companionably with a paw. Although he was an Alpha now, she didn't think Dante would mind her lack of formality. He might even appreciate it.

"It's raining," she told him as if he might be unaware of the cold water dripping over their backs. "Wanna head up to the plateau? I'm getting cold, brrr." Junior gave her body a shake, sending a bit of water flying and causing her fur to stick up in bladed black spikes. "I'm freezing, actually. Do you care if I stay with you tonight so I don't turn into a wolfsicle?" The idea of coming home to curl up near a favorite pack mate was a warming thought in itself.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"Oh, are you now? Well then, I guess all my worries are gone. Thank you wise one," he threw back, smile widening as she buffeted him lightly with a paw. Truly he did appreciate the humor, it was a nice break from the somber affair of changing leadership and minds in turmoil. The rift caused by Peregrine's departure had left more than a few broken hearts behind and all Dante could do was try to pick up the pieces.

Honestly....... he had forgotten about the rain. "Sure thing," he said, knowing the mild look of surprise at her words probably gave away this mistake. Honestly the thought of sharing a night next to someone was nice. He hadn't done so since parting ways with Helena. "You are more than welcome. Though there is one slight problem with that plan. I still haven't quite obtained a den yet." God he had commitment issues. He just hadn't gotten around to picking out a permanant sleeping space yet, even though winter was drawing closer. He'd a couple usual haunts for when the rain came down, but they weren't really large enough for two. "Any ideas?"
812 Posts
Ooc —
She wasn't sure if he would welcome her company, though Dante accepted quickly. He warned her that he didn't have a den, though. Junior wasn't particularly concerned about this. After spending night after night alone in the wilderness, she had become something of an expert at finding makeshift shelter. She figured that, even if they couldn't find somewhere they both fit, at least having each other for warmth would make up for the lack of cover.

"It's cool, we can keep one another warm. Although... there's a thicket toward the back of the territory if you don't mind trekking all the way back there." It wasn't far from that den that led into the grotto, though Junior dismissed it as a possibility. She wasn't a fan of entirely enclosed spaces like that and, despite all the time that had passed, she still wasn't willing to share that particular discovery with anyone but her siblings.

"C'mon," she said, smiling and nudging Dante. She swore she felt a little charge of electricity pass between them any time they made contact. She brushed past him and began to climb up to the plateau, feeling her heart thumping in her chest. Not only was it wonderful being welcomed home by the likes of Dante, it was a great feeling just coming back here and walking this age-old, familiar path.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
>:) poor Junior with this blockhead.... In fact poor anyone with him lols

If there was electricity between them, Dante failed to feel it, though it wasn't Junior's fault he had the same level of awareness and reception to such things as a rock. Unfortunately for Junior, she was pretty much in the little sister range for the new Alpha, a fact that would without doubt not make her happy.

Blissfully unaware, Dante agreed and followed, allowing her to take point. He was never choosy about where he settled down for the night, nor so proud that he needed to lead.
812 Posts
Ooc —
Wanna fade this? I'd love another sometime soon! :D

She crested the head of the towpath and paused, taking a deep breath. The view would have been better if not for the dark, rainy air, yet she wouldn't let it dampen her spirits as it did her pelt. Exchanging a quick glance with Dante — she wanted to be sure he was right behind her — Junior kicked up her heels and began galloping through the woods, toward the territory's rear wall and the warm, (relatively) dry thicket that waited for them there.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante shook his head, smiling as Junior kicked up speed into a gallop. Following at an easy lope, he kept her in sight, but did not try to keep up. As he did so, he reveled in the energy of the rain-filled air, his eyes scanning the territory - his territory - while keeping Junior in periphery. Somehow, at that moment, he felt some peace in how things had worked out.