Redhawk Caldera who are you talking to
<span style="font-family:times; font-size: 8px; color: #222; letter-spacing:1px;"><i>Lumen soli mutuum das</i></span><br><br><b>Deceased.</b>
78 Posts
Ooc — Java

He was in the eastern forest, as per usual. For the past few weeks Amon had been frequenting the area where his dear brother Donnie had found him, in part hoping not to find anyone, but also sort of... Wishing for something to happen. Maybe if his fool of a brother showed up, they could chat; he could get down to the root of why the old man was so keen on ruining his life. They had been family once - bound by blood, by creed, raised in the same environment and eager - but that had faltered. Whatever semblance of family linked the two of them, it had faded quickly upon Amon's expulsion from the Guard.

He sighed a heavy sigh, and began tracing a route through the trees. His frequent patrols in the area had amounted to a few natural paths being created; his wide body and heavy steps created natural corridors. The forest was frosty today, even under the afternoon sun, and covered in half-melted ice crystals. Everything shined. The trees held stars in their boughs, but Amon did not see this - he traced a route he had walked so many times before, and breathed a billowing puff of white; it was good that Donnie hadn't returned. It was good that the caldera was still safe from the greedy reach of Firebrand Guard, but... Amon firmly believed it would not be for much longer. Perhaps they waited for spring?

2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
It was one of those winter days that seemed to be cold and hot at the same time; the afternoon sun was high in the sky, warming the charcoal fur along Elwood's back, but at the same time the landscape still glistened with frost and snow. He was meandering through the forest, admiring the way the tree limbs had crystallized. Here and there, he spotted melting icicles, though he knew that when night fell they would freeze once more.

With a crunching of his paws, he continued east, heading towards the borders. He planned to perform one of his brief patrols -- thirty minutes at the most -- then return to his den, perhaps for a nap. When he intercepted Amon, however, he was happy to pause and greet his packmate. "Amon," he called out to the older wolf, who was shuffling through the show ahead of him. Perhaps he would be willing to accompany him to the outskirts. "How are you?" Elwood asked once he was closer, hoping that he wasn't interrupting anything.
<span style="font-family:times; font-size: 8px; color: #222; letter-spacing:1px;"><i>Lumen soli mutuum das</i></span><br><br><b>Deceased.</b>
78 Posts
Ooc — Java

Elwood, The man bellowed, and though the sound was not unkind it was quite rough and tumble; like crunching across a gravel path. Alright, for an old fart. His ears turned in the boy's direction, expecting further conversation, but the rest of him was keenly interested in watching the ice upon the leaves. The yellow of the trees was starting to fade as the trees shed their colors, but some sparks of vivacious yellow still shimmered in the winter light.

Out for a wander are ya? Care to walk with me? Two sets of eyes were better than one - and if they did encounter Donnie, then they'd make his last moments quick. It hadn't occurred to Amon yet that not every beast knew how to kill, maim, or murder; he felt like he was back with the guard for a moment, and felt a thrilling fire in his blood.

2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Elwood hadn't spent an excessive amount of time with Amon, but he felt a fondness for the older wolf. There was something endearing about his gruff personality, and his abrupt and forward way of speaking. He closed the gap between himself and his brown-coated packmate, his tail waving a greeting behind him.

"Yeah, I was heading out to do a quick patrol of the borders," the aspiring warden said. Ever since his practice with Peregrine, he was eager to have company when he visited the outskirts. "What are you doing out here?" he asked, falling into step alongside Amon.
78 Posts
Ooc — Java

He breathed a great sigh at the question, wearied by the time he had spent attending to his fears. As they walked, Amon granted an answer. Did Peregrine tell you - and by you I mean the pack, in general - about Donnie, my brother? Amon didn't want to get in to the specifics of the relationship, however, it would be easier to explain with a little help from the leader.

Amon searched for recognition in the boy's face, and then went ahead regardless. I was absent for a bit, before. My brother came a-knockin' and I did my best to dissuade him from stickin' around, It had been quite a tussle, and eventually the fool had been led away. But I fear he will return. Can't have that! Especially with Fox and her little kits runnin' around. I patrol the forest where he found me.

2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Elwood shook his head initially in response to Amon's question; he had spent a good amount of time with Peregrine, but the leader had never mentioned anyone named Donnie. At first, he wondered why Amon thought that it was something that Peregrine would need to discuss with the pack, but as his story unfolded, it began to make more sense.

His eyes widened slightly as he listened. Amon downplayed the severity of the situation with his words, but there was still an underlying tension in his voice. Especially once he mentioned that he didn't want Donnie around with Fox expecting pups so soon. "Oh, wow. What did he want with you?" Elwood asked, meandering around a fallen tree branch that they in his path. He then looked to Amon and assured him, "I'll keep an eye out for him, as well. What does he look like?" He wasn't trained in fighting, but he felt that he could put up a pretty good defense were he to come across his packmate's rogue sibling; at least until backup arrived.
78 Posts
Ooc — Java

Amon snorted as the boy's first question was voiced, and huffed a bit of laughter from his chest. I don't think he was looking fer me, actually. I think he found me by accident. The Guard were devoted to defending the golden lands of Luciferus, the great prairies with the roaming buffalo and steers. For any member of the group to come this far, it would have to have been a scout - and that was what Amon presumed his brother was doing. Scouting.

Ah, he looks like me. Big, old, but without the grizzly silhouette - He rolled his shoulders to emphasize the hunch in them. I've been worrying that he'll show up right in the nick o' time to meet Fox's little babes, and I am adamant it does not happen. If he comes back, he wont be alone. The beast's voice darkened, deepening with a serious note to the words, and Amon cast his attention to the surrounding area. It was still, it was quiet, save for their voices.

2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Interesting, Elwood thought as Amon expressed the sentiment that his brother had likely stumbled upon him completely by accident. It was ironic how that could happen, when Elwood had spent months on end searching for his sister without so much as a clue. Not a pawprint, or a wisp of her scent had been found; this was the first time she had crossed his mind in a few weeks, and the corners of his lips curved into a frown momentarily.

But Amon was describing what his sibling looked like, so the mottled grey male refocused his attention. Donnie apparently looked much like Amon, so Elwood stored the information in his mind in case he did ever come across him. He was concerned that Donnie would make a reappearance around the time that Fox's children were born -- and that he would bring others along. "Who would be with him?" Elwood asked; it sounded as though there was more to the story that Amon wasn't divulging just yet. Perhaps some history that he preferred to leave in the past.
78 Posts
Ooc — Java

When it came to family - even the splintered one that Amon hailed from - there was always more to the story. He sighed suddenly, a great deep sound which foretold his exhaustion with the subject; but still, Amon went over what he had told Peregrine, in brief. He'd likely arrive with a small group of three others, maybe more. The both of us were trained by, and worked for, a militia group called the Firebrand Guard. They... Defend our father's land. But they also raid other lands.

Amon was old. In his seven years of life, since his introduction to the ranks of the Guard, he had witnessed and perpetrated such crimes many times; there was a darkness in him now which rose to the surface, as he looked upon Elwood for understanding. The caldera would be in danger if Donnie returned - there was no avoiding the bloodshed that could amount from his arrival. The little family would be snuffed out before it even got a chance, but Amon wouldn't let that happen.

He's an idiot, my brother. Never left the Guard when he had the chance. His loyalty to them is... Mindless. But he's dangerous, El. Him and his cronies. 'My old boys,' Amon thought suddenly, as he glanced back at the surrounding foliage. 'My, how things have changed.'

2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
"But they also raid other lands." So that was why Amon was so concerned about the possibility of his brother returning to Redhawk Caldera. Donnie now knew where Amon lived, making it a potential target for his band of wolves -- or Firebrand Guard as Amon called them. Elwood's brows knit together thoughtfully.

Though it was worrisome to learn of the militia group, Elwood believed -- perhaps too optimistically, or with too much naïveté -- that Peregrine's pack would be able to handle the conflict should it arrive on their doorstep. "How likely do you think it is for them to come here?" he wondered, although he wasn't sure that Amon would have an answer. "Have you told Fox and Peregrine?" If they didn't already know, it would be important to get the word out -- with as many interlopers that traipsed through the Teekon Wilds, it could be easy for Donnie and his cronies to go unrecognized.

"I hope I don't ever have to meet him," the younger male said with a wry smile, "but I don't think the caldera would be as easy a target as he would hope." The pack wasn't trained to fight as the Firebrand Guard was, but Elwood still felt confident in his pack mates' abilities to defend their home.
78 Posts
Ooc — Java

The boy was quite naive if he truly thought the caldera could handle such an assault. Amon's eyes rolled before he could stop them, and he closed his eyes as he shook his head. You don't understand these guys, El. He commented under his breath, and slumped his butt against the ground. He didn't feel like wandering, suddenly. Elwood needed to understand the severity of what could come for them all.

I told Peregrine, so he's aware. That's why I thought he might have told everyone else. The patience that Amon usually held seemed to have strained, and was bordering on vanishing entirely. But he knew he shouldn't be frustrated by the boy's questions. It was only natural to be worried in the face of such news. If you ever did meet him, I hope I'm around to rip his face off.

The Guard sends scouts everywhere. That's what Donatus was, I think. They don't usually go that far from our homeland though, which is why I'm worried. He knew what would come next. Then a small raiding party to asses the strength of a target - Donnie plus three. If they fail to return, the target is seen as a worthwhile place to conquer. If we were to let them do as they wanted, more would arrive, until the entire damned Guard is upon us.

It was a strategy which had worked for years. All variations upon one theme: overwhelm and destroy. How many times had Amon been part of the raiding parties? How many scouting missions had he been given - young and astute, eager to prove himself? 'But that's all over now. And I won't let it happen here.' The beast thought. He cast a tired look upon Elwood as silence blossomed around them, and added, The caldera pack is small and young. They'd all be easy pickin's.

He pointedly refused to tell the kid what would happen to Fox's little kits if they were found. That would be a long drag down memory lane that Amon wasn't up for.

2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
I like Amon. I want to squeeze his grumpy old cheeks, haha. :)

Elwood halted as soon as Amon did, turning to face the older male as he retired into a sitting position. There was a tension in Amon's voice that caused him to press his ears forward; apparently, this was a far more urgent situation than he had imagined. This was certainly distressing to hear, and he was slowly beginning to understand Amon's concern.

At the same time, however, he couldn't help but think that it could be detrimental to the pack to live in a permanent state of unrest. If they were all constantly on the lookout for an attack that may never come -- well, there were many things that could happen. Weary pack members, dwindling caches...while their borders would likely be under constant supervision, the worry itself could cause wear and tear on the wolves. Elwood thought back to a conversation with Peregrine in which the Alpha had mused on the idea of stationing guards along the border for entire days. He had quickly dismissed the thought, as it could lead to the very possibilities Elwood had just pondered on.

Having come from a home that was, frankly, quite boring (especially when compared to the Firebrand Guard), Elwood did have a different view on the world than Amon. He understood what the elder was saying, but didn't have much else to add. Amon was set in his ways, and for good reason. He had grown out of an idealist perspective long ago, while Elwood still clung to the threads of good in the world. The silver yearling hummed thoughtfully, then said, "I'm training to earn my warden and warrior trades. I guess the best thing we can do is be prepared, even if the Guard is...invincible." He realized that Amon was right: Redhawk Caldera was a young and immature pack, but at the very least they could ready themselves for what the former guard thought could be inevitable.
78 Posts
Ooc — Java
Yeah he's a butt but he's a nice butt? :P

Amon was worried for the safety of the caldera and its inhabitants, yes, and perhaps more than he should have been. They were capable. Each of them were devoted to the Alphas here and they would all protect the caldera's future with their lives; but Amon knew the Guard as well. He knew them better, actually. Five years of service in their ranks amounted to a lot of training, but it also amounted to a lot of fear - he was afraid of the Guard, and wanted to pass that fear on to Elwood. Such a thing would only be understood if the Guard actually invaded; otherwise, what Elwood thought, was correct. Amon would spend his days worrying and fretting over an attack that would never come.

That's a start. He rumbled as a response, when El brought up his own training. It would be too little too late, according to the old man. Guard kids were picked up through raiding, mostly, or sent to the front lines by Luciferus himself - his own brood from so many mothers. They started training as early as five months - and here was Elwood, practically an adult, just starting.

I think... I think I'll get back to patrolling the forest. He sounded quite tired as he voiced this. Amon wanted to rest a bit, but with thoughts of his brother filling his head, he felt the call of duty. Perhaps we can train together on another day. I can show you some of the things that I learned in my own youth. Amon cracked a smile at this quip, although the words themselves held little mirth.

2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Thanks for the thread! We'll have to have a spar soon. :)

A thin smile creased Elwood's lips as he dipped his head in response to Amon's acknowledgement. It was a start, if only that, and at the very least it made Elwood feel better about his own chances against these unknown warriors. It was likely that he wouldn't stand a chance against them, but he knew he would go down fighting.

In the next moment, Amon excused himself. A tiredness had crept into his voice; Elwood didn't blame him. It had to be exhausting to constantly be thinking of his brother and his destruction. The elder did offer him a chance to brush up on his sparring skills, something that Elwood was eager to take him up on. "That would be great," he voiced, then pivoted and began to head back up the mountainside. "Catch you later, Amon," he called over his shoulder, his farewell sounding more lighthearted than he felt; his mind was filled with thoughts of the Firebrand Guard.