Blacktail Deer Plateau Hibernation
Lurker
217 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
AW~

The boy had started to make his transition into adolescence - beginning with a growth spurt. Long legs carried the waif around the perimeters of the plateau, his narrow chest still inches above his elbows. Even though the teen now associated this place as home, there was little feeling of connectivity between the pack and himself. He did not socialize often, preferring the winter scrim beyond the dark wood. However today he found himself towards the heart of Dante's land, tracing a half-frozen brook upstream.

His narrow maw snapped at dead grass as he mingled past, maw ducking every now and again in search of a nibble to eat. Large ears orbited upon his sooty crown in search of company, for once.
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness, I am stronger than you know.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Days were coming quick for Blue. Soon enough she would be having the children that lay nestled tightly in her womb. She was still restless and it was increasing as the days passed by. She just couldn't stay still, she had cleaned out the den and rearranged it numerous times. The bearskin laying in the middle she would not lay on it until after the children were born and cleaned. Not wanting to make it all messy, however it was there to keep those beautiful children warm.

As she strode her belly rotund and her backend a bit laggy from fatigue. But she was doing her best to continue to walk and do her duty, until they came. Not to mention that she was just tired of laying still.
Hello Everyone. It's been forever.
Lurker
217 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
It had been a few weeks since Val had laid eyes on the Plateau's beta, Blue Willow, and the boy barely recognized her dark figure as he crested the river bend. Her normally slender form had turned heavy set, middle thick and sagging, and she meandered uncomfortably through the snow. His bat-ears cocked, confused as first, as he reached out to gingerly whiff at the air. Was something wrong? A milky scent wafted towards him... one he couldn't place. It was familiar. A rare aroma among the musty wood... and it wasn't long before curiosity got the best of him, drawn in by the unusual fragrance.

He loped towards the ballooned healer, head ducking away suspiciously. She had offered him food and shelter. A kind woman by any measure. "Blue?" he chirped, prepubescent voice still high pitched, "what's wrong with your belly?" His uncertain drawl revealed how unobservant young boys could be.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
I'm not sure if he ever told her his name? Should we assume that he did or no?

Though Blue had been out and about, it was never for long. She always returned to the den site, especially as her time grew closer. She never wandered far, she couldn't risk being caught out in the territory and the babes decide to come. A sixth sense caused Blue to pause, and she lifted her head to look around. Being extremely protective and cranky she wanted to growl, but she stayed her sounds. After all she was in the territory, so chances were it was someone from her pack.

Blue's ear twitched and she turned her head at her name. She saw it was the youth that had come home with them, he was a quiet boy. Very anti social, but she supposed if she had been lost and alone, she would be too. She gave him a smile and dipped her muzzle. Hello. She wanted to chuckle softly, but didn't. Knowing full well the emotions that young ones carried could be turbulent on their best day. Nothing, I am expecting little puppies.
Lurker
217 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
I just assumed after this time they would have learned eachother's name one way or another :)

Val's tail tucked beneath his haunch when Blue turned to observe the young wolf, his bronze gaze fluttering away from her midsection with deference. Curiosity would not sway his instinct to submit even if the she-wolf was pleasant. The child was fettered with stunted confidence.

"Puppies?" the boy inquired with a purse of his lips. It had not been long since he was but an infant besides Njal and Tuwawi... childhood raucous with strife. Yet the more he pondered on Blue new arrivals the more questions piled up in his mind. Val realized there was much of the world he didn't understand. "When will they come? How many? What color will they be? Can I play with them? What are their names?" The Sveijarn drilled the expectant mother with questions, eyes wide with curiosity. "Will I be their brother?" His thin face turned towards the darker Beta, expression peppered with a brew of hope and grief. No... he only had one brother. Larus; who, as Valtyr had come to believe, was dead. There was no replacing the golden faced duskfire wolf... and immediately Valtyr felt guilt for suggesting it in the first place.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue smiled at his small stature as he shrunk away. The boy was careful and respectful, whoever had him before well he was treated and taught well. Poor child left alone in the world, she wondered not for the first time where his family was.

Blue nodded her head yes Yes puppies Blue chuckled softly at his questions. Alright slow down. Let me see if I can answer all your questions. She settled down to sit and looked at him kindly. They will come in just a few days. I won't know how many or what color until they are here. I like to think that there will be at least 2 and they will have pretty colors.

She waded through the rest of his questions and tried to answer them as best she could. You won't be able to play with them right away as they'll be blind and deaf and helpless, but once they are a little older you can. Lasher and I will name them when they come.

She smiled at his next question, but the momentary grief caused her pause. She wasn't sure how to handle the question, as it seemed to make him sad, but she did her best. Of course you can be their brother if you want too or their uncle even if you prefer.
Lurker
217 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Guilt continued to seep into the teen as Blue patiently answered the myriad of questions. Valtýr grew quiet thinking of Larus, Jokull, and Mae. Their warm den. The lynx's leering yellow stare. Even though a few months had passed the Sveijarn continued to show signs of incurable trauma. What could have been a happy or ambitious wolf was but a withdrawn and paltry youth — a wilted bloom in a shadow that would likely never grow to its potential magnificence.

Valtýr half listened to Blue's words, lost in a miasma of sudden emotion. Truly, puberty was in full effect. "Uncle, then," he told Blue Willow abruptly, suddenly put off by the idea of having an adopted sibling who wasn't of his own blood. He winced, however, when the boy realized how curt that statement had been. "I don't want a brother," he tried to awkwardly explain, but his words became jumbled and quiet at the end.

Quickly, Val attempted to fix their derailed conversation, "but I... uhm... is Lasher their dad?"
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue Willow did not know what it was, and she hadn't asked for she didn't know how. But she did know that something terrible had happened to the young fellow once upon a time and what that was she didn't know. She would have to tell him somehow that if he needed to ever talk about it, she was more than willing to listen. Though Lasher perhaps might be a better candidate.

Blue smiled at him, she stepped forward as if to touch him and then stopped, unsure if he would allow that. It's okay Valtyr, you will make a wonderful uncle. And I would like that. She smiled at him kindly, not wanting him to be upset, even though she was fairly certain it was too late. Yes she knew that he was growing into his teen years so hormones and emotions were part of it. But she felt his were more extreme than some, at least some of his emotions.

Blue chuckled and nodded her head, Yes Lasher is their father.
Lurker
217 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Though Valtýr's change in attitude was sudden and and turbulent like a summer storm, the kind Blue Willow took it in stride. She offered words of encouragement and confirmation which helped the youth perk up a bit despite his choppy emotions. He gave a weak smile, still entrenched in guilt, but feeling more secure in his position as Xi of the Plateau.

Blue Willow explained that Lasher was, indeed, the sire... but Valtýr was having a hard time figuring out just how pack structure worked. Were Blue and Lasher actually the alphas of the pack? Was Dante just a figurehead? The silver titan ruled the Blacktail wolves with such certainty... but where was his wife? His babies? Val was too uncertain to ask, not wanting to mar his reputation with Blue Willow any further. Unlike Pura, Valtýr was probably to sensitive and empathetic for his own good.

"Oh..." Val said, acknowledging the unborn's parentage. "Taltos... will be a good dad." He paused to think. "Is there something I can help with?" the boy offered, wanting a job to do.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue returned the smile, he was a sweet child, and he had the potential to be a great wolf. If only she could help him in some way, to get past some of his hang ups. What could it be that caused such sadness to stir behind youth's center.

If Valtyr had asked about the plateau, she would have explained it as best she could. Yes it was usually the alpha's to have children, but sometimes the beta's could too. Besides that fact that Dante did not have any mate, and Blue had been the alpha once. She had stepped down of her own free will, if she wanted to take up the mantle again, until a femme entered Dante's life she probably could. She wouldn't, but she could.

Blue smiled Yes he will he's a good man. Blue thought about it what could she tell him, Well you can always help to hunt until they come. Then once they are old enough you could help teach them if you like? collect baubles and shiny things for them to play with too when their older.
Lurker
217 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Last post from me!

At first, Valtýr's maw twisted in a grimace. He wasn't very good at hunting and it was unlikely he could catch anything worthwhile for the children or their parents. Yet, Blue's second suggestion brought light into his eyes. He was quite good at finding things... and could probably find a few fun toys for the pups. "Okay," he told her, accepting the task. "I'll find them something really good!" he chirped, completely enthused. Val became so taken by his new job, that he abruptly turned and left without so much as a goodbye... but it was clear, by his posture, that the skinny child was searching hard already.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue smiled softly at his grimace, most his age were not the best at hunting yet. There was nothing wrong with that and truth be told. Blue herself still wasn't the greatest at hunting, her pursuits lied elsewhere. Blue chuckled as he turned abruptly and watched him go for a time. Happy that he had a task to put his mind on. Tasks were good.