Blackfeather Woods A Modest Proposal
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
@Morgana... but anyone is welcome!

At least the walk was familiar, albeit... long.  The bastard limped through the same trail he had followed while accompanying the Sirens when they dropped off their gift for the Dark Brotherhood, entangling the two pack's fate with the wolves of DuskFire.  The movement was painfully slow between two territories due to the extent of the raggedy wolf's injuries (though, his recently set leg seemed to be recovering fine).  Two whole days, one whole night, and the sun was quickly setting behind the tree line, casting strange shadows across the beaten trail.  The trees here twisted and turned into ghastly forms, contorting in the dark, and reaching out as if to grab at you and never let go.  The whole place was unnerving, but it was far too late to turn back now.

The task at hand was of the utmost importance.  Caiaphas was a wreck at the loss of her adopted son, Kevlyn, and the rest of the Sirens wished to recover in peace and isolation, leaving Reek and the other consorts to pick up the slack.  The wolves of the sound had been far too confident in their approach and had severely underestimated the power to which DuskFire would defend.  Though their injuries may have only been minor, it was still enough for Reek to realize his ineffectiveness as a healer, and how ill prepared he was for the aftermath.  The salty soil of the Megalith Forest may have been fine for the great sequoias, but the ground proved to be inhospitable for most medicinal plants;  only the most hearty could survive, leaving Reek with a near empty cache of herbs.  Though, this far into the mainland the soil harbored life, and spring had finally taken effect.  Perhaps a trade could be made, or at least negotiated.

The ragged wolf had finally met the borders edge. The scent of other wolves hung strong in the air.  It wouldn't be long until one of them crossed where he sat.  Reek had minor apprehensions about involving himself with the Black Feather type, but deep down, the gaunt bastard knew they were his best bet at getting what he wanted.
183 Posts
Ooc — Andrea.
She was worried, her pregnancy news had been quite a shock to her,  which was explainable. She had never had a mother figure and now she was expected to be one?  She just wanted to scream, her hate and anger and confusing just wrapped up into one created a whole ton of fury, she pitied anyone who messed with her today. Stomping along the borders, she didn't reseal the stench of another wolf quite close until she looked up to see him not that far away. She had encountered this one before, and his sea loving friends, oh and that stupid cross bred Alpha. It was so weird. How could they allow such a thing to happen. Ruled by mistake in the way of honor to wolves. Her bad mood attributed to the disgust she felt for the pack and mostly ruled all other thoughts about it, but still a deal had been made and she was to respect the Alpha's decisions. So she wondered why this male was here. What is your purpose here? She asked the fish. 
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Reek hadn't been waiting long before his one woman welcoming party came to meet him at the border.  It was one of the wolves from last time, the other female.  Obviously the black sister had seen better days, her bellicose scowl was clearly illuminated in the waning sunlight... and she reeked.  Reeked of piss and vomit.  What a ray of sunshine to behold.  

"I come on two counts," yawned the bastard flatly as he rose from the brush. "First I bring news pertaining to Ankyra Sound and our silly little war."  Reek slowly limped his way over to the black sister as he continued to yak in his signature blasé.  Though his heart raced in fear, nothing could break his nonchalant composure as he drew close to his counterpart, his weary brown eyes meeting hers in a domineering embrace.  "Which... could make things relatively complicated for you, and your friends in particular.  The raid was a total failure,  we couldn't do much to weaken them, but, that's no longer my problem." The corners of Reek's mouth twisted into a sly simper.

"Secondly," the bastard added without breaking eye contact.  "I think we could make a wonderful deal for the mutual benefit of both of our packs." The skeletal wolf's words were like ice.  This sort of speak would never fly with the sirens, but the training wheels were off... and what's done in the dark can't hurt anyone.  "That is... If you're willing to cooperate?"
Ah, the blood of deceit is a nourishing flow....
719 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
@Reek if you honestly want to continue this be my guest. :D

Meldresi was patrolling the borders at a leisurely pace; she was not a warden in the slightest, but the alpha wanted her scent to still be present around her lands. She stopped when she smelled sickness in the air: Morgana. She snorted, wondering why the pregnant woman was out and about, and so close to the borders.

She approached the smell, then noticed the other scent in the air: that of Ankrya Sound. It was unmistakable, after so many of their wolves came with the seal as a gift. The Night Queen stalked slowly towards the smell, keeping to the shadows as the sound of their confrontation drifted in the air. I think we could make a wonderful deal for the mutual benefit of both of our packs. "I think this proposal of yours best be told to the alpha and the alpha only." She said, revealing herself. Her head tilted to Morgana. "Go back to your den, Morgana. Get some rest and let me deal with this." She said softly to the pregnant female, stepping forward to the injured male. "Recount that to me again."
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Sorry for the super long wait! I've been really behind on my threads lately!

It wasn't long before the Alpha slipped into view from behind the trees and bid the obviously pregnant wolf to leave.  As Morgana faded away from view and into the woods, Reek gave the priestess a slight bow of the head.  Submission wasn't something that came naturally to the ragged wolf, but with the arrival of Meldresi, the tone of the situation changed dramatically.  

"Meldresi, I presume," teased the ragged wolf as a cheshire cat grin spread across his face from ear to ear,  exposing his crooked teeth in the waning sunlight. "It's simple.  As a healer, I need plants, certain plants that don't grow near the sound, but I'm certain grow around here.  I'm willing to offer a trade of sorts.  I can part with my alum root, some jopi weed, and the remaining showy goldenrod I have.  But I need poppy, and not just the seeds.  I need the sap as it has a higher concentration of opioids.  If you lightly score the pod with your claw, you can collect it the next day.  I need a lot of that.  Also, I need lavender hyssop, which I'm pretty sure you have plenty of." 

"But wait, there's more!" Reek said, doing his best to channel his inner Billy Mays. He took a few limping steps toward the Priestess.  It was time to get to the real reason he had come.  Protective measures had to be taken.  Caiaphas had shown weakness after the war and the others grew restless.  However, despite her failures as a leader, if one of the others were to take control of the sound, that would be bad news for bozo, and Reek could kiss his kibbles and bits goodbye.  No, she had to be protected, for his own sake.  "I need nightshade.  Preferably the root, it'll be easier to hide.  I'll pilfer some extra payment from our caches," he added. "But, this is off the books."
719 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
@Reek Apologies!!! (I've been behind too)

"You presume correctly." She recognized this wolf now; he was one of the wolves that came with Caiaphas to bring the payment for the assassination, one that she sadly could not finish now that Duskfire was in ruins. The priestess stood silent, contemplating his demands and the offers he had in return. He would give prey, alum root, jopi weed, and goldenrod in return for opium, lavender hyssop and nightshade. Nightshade and poppies grew in abundance in the Blackfeather Woods; nightshade in nearly every nook and cranny, and poppies sprouted in the Redgrove, giving the clearing its name. She would not mind parting with either of them, even the lavender, of which Potema found many. "A fair enough trade; the gain is good for us both." She declared, making a mental list of what she needed to give the ragged wolf. "Would you want us to bring it to you or you come to us?"
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Fade at 10 posts so we can start a new, presently set thread?

The terms of the deal had been negotiated much quicker than the ragged wolf had previously planned with Meldresi taking his deal right off the bat, no tweaks or twerks about it.  No prying questions were asked, which made Reek realize that he had come to the right wolves for this sort of nefarious aid.  It's not like Reek was specifically malicious in his intent to trade for nightshade, but such a request would illicit a worried response from just any other wolf.  It certainly wasn't everyday a cripple limps into strange territory alone, demanding poison.  However, given the nature Blackfeather Woods, they've probably seen much worse.

"Perfect,"  Reek said, his arrogant simper widened even further into a wild grin.  "No sense bringing it to me, Mel.  Can't raise suspicions, Ya know? Like I said, this needs to be off the books.   I'll howl for you when I come back.  It could be a while, given Ankyra's situation."

"However, I have one last request,"  Reek added, motioning to the setting sun slipping behind the treeline.  "Given my... condition—" Awkwardly he dangled his injured left front leg in front of his body in a clumsy wobble.  "—I'd rather not make the walk back to the sound tonight. If you have an extra den that's not in use, I'd really appreciate a place to crash for the night.  I'll be gone by morning, you won't even know I was here." 
719 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Sure thing!

Meldresi wondered of Ankrya's "situation" and what these herbs had to do with it, but dismissed the thought. The Dark Brotherhood did not pry into the intentions and histories of their clients; they took the mission, completed the mission, and got the prize with little to no questions asked, unless it was needed to complete the mission. They stood no where politically, except with the highest bidder, whomever that might be.

"There is one nearby, in a hollowed-out tree. It is close to the borders, so you can quickly slip out when you are ready." It was also closely monitored, meaning that if this Reek proved to be treacherous, he would be spotted and dealt with immediately. Though she doubted he would do that. "I will bring the herbs to you in the early morning." The nightshade and lavender she already had prepared in her herbstore, but the Night Queen would not mind staying up at night, collecting opium pods. She could store a few for herself, too.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Last post for me! I'd love to have another thread if you'd like!

"Wonderful," chirped Reek with a polite nod in response to Meldresi offering the hollowed out tree for the night.  It may have been a humble and small offer, but Reek had slept in far worse conditions.  Perhaps it wasn't the proper time to look a gift horse in the mouth.  "However Mel, there's no need to bring any of it by in the morning.  I'll more than likely be long gone by then."  Reek knew carrying the haul back to Ankyra in his condition would be less than ideal, plus he had traipsed into their territory without payment for the deal.
Although free herbs were very enticing... the bastard had to decide against it.

"I'll bring you're payment soon.  You can give them to me then."  Reek turned on his heels and began to walk in the other direction before realizing he did not know the direction of the hollowed out tree.  The bastard turned his head back toward Meldresi as he shot her an awkward, half-smile.  "If you could direct me to that tree, that would be great."