Blacktail Deer Plateau She said shut up and dance with me
confidence, charisma, character
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
With no idea what Saena could be summoning them for, Dante still heeded the call, promptly following the summons to its source.  He wondered if it had anything to do with Junior's appearance (which he will be jumping in on soon, promise) and the fact that she had called the three leaders put him a bit on edge.  It was likely something larger than norm.

When he arrived, he did not speak straight off, but instead gave her a nod of greeting.  Then he sat down to wait for the others, knowing that she would explain when the time came.  He hadn't felt much like socializing of late and, though not in too bad of humor today, was tending away from small talk for the time being.
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness, I am stronger than you know.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue Willow had no doubt that when Saena called it was for an important reason, at least to her. Of course she wasn't sure, how her and Lasher could both go, unless they brought the babes along. Though her children, were larger and older, they were still dependent on their parents for safety. They were all about playing right now though. Though, at the moment they were nestled in the clearing asleep, she had at least a good hour she felt before they woke.

She followed the path that led to Saena, and she looked around the former rendezvous site. She nudged both Dante and Saena gently. Then she sat and curled her tail about her paws, and waited for Lasher. She looked about her, enjoying the day. At least until Saena decided to let them know, why she summoned them.
Hello Everyone. It's been forever.
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
Eb, you're welcome to hop in whenever, if you planned to! I want to keep this moving, though.

Dante arrived promptly. Saena favoured him with a smile, though she could sense from his firm nod alone that he wasn't necessarily in the greatest of moods. She would have to make this quick, then, mostly so she could avoid making it even stormier, although she suspected that would happen anyway. She twitched her whiskers, glanced away before she could give away any of her feelings, and tapped the ground with her half-tail while waiting on the Betas.

Blue Willow arrived next. Saena's heart skipped a beat. If she was about to put Dante in a worse mood, she couldn't imagine what she was about to do to her aunt. She managed to smile, probably weakly, before glancing away and searching for Lasher. When he didn't appear, Saena sighed, preparing herself for what she was about to say. The Beta male might not be around, or he might arrive later; either way, he would find out about this eventually.

"Anyway," she said, as though to usher the meeting along, "thank you for coming. Uh... Well, I'll just get right to it." She took in a deep breath and said, "I've decided it would be best, for me and the plateau, that I strike out on my own."
i was born to the witch boleyn
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
<3

he arrived at the moment saena spoke the words 'on my own.' his heart sinking within him, lasher went to stand beside blue willow, sensing instinctively that she would need his support as emotion gripped her. tytonidae had departed, as had junior. pura existed upon the fringes of the pack, and would one day perhaps merely melt away. saena had been the most involved of the children, the most ambitious and open with her goals, and taltos had predicted that one day she would rule in dante's stead.

but now, she too, would dissuade herself from their borders. that it was perhaps the natural order of things did little to soothe his heart, but he smiled with wan fondness at her. lasher suspected osprey's pregnancy had something to do with the girl's decision to leave; dante had handled it as he saw fit, but the lack of harshness toward the silver woman may have irritated saena.

"where will you go?" was all he asked.
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Tuesdays are my absolute worst day, posting to this real quick though because plot <3

Dante had not been expecting to hear such a thing from Saena, yet now that he did, it did not surprise him much.  Honestly, it made sense.  He knew she felt undervalued here, though he couldn't imagine who aside from Koda made her feel such a way, and she was young.  Her prospects were brighter should she look outside the Plateau, for the three who led had a rather strong trend to their own management, and doubtless Saena's methods would follow her own personal liking.  It wasn't to say that she couldn't have joined them in time... but Dante had doubted her happiness of working with the rest of them, especially when it came to matters of dealing out repercussions and enforcing standards.

"Though I will be sad to see you go, if you are certain, then I am sure you will do well for yourself.  The plateau will miss you, though."  She was a valuable member, none could argue against that.  It would be quieter around here once she was gone.  Lasher had already asked the question he would like to hear the answer to, so he did not repeat.  And while Dante wouldn't exactly call her a 'friend', the few conversations they had held had been rather pleasant (save the one where she bit his head off for Junior).  He had little doubts that Junior's success in striking out had done much to influence her sister's drive to follow in the trend.  They were rather similar, really, in a way.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue was actually taken back, and for a moment she thought she had heard wrong. She just simply stared, trying to make the cogs in her head work. She couldn't believe it, Saena had been so gung ho about everything? About taking over the reins? About being and doing right by the pack, where had things change? And worst of all, why hadn't Blue seen it? Was she really any better of a caretaker, than she had been? There had been times when things were tough? She would take the blame for Amelie, for not knowing where the girl stood, for not paying attention. That death lay solely with her, she would not take responsibility for Pura and Junior, though she was starting to wonder if the deciding factor, was indeed herself. Would her children fare well? Or was she a terrible caretaker, if she was so blindsided, by something as this.

Blue looked down, blinking for a moment, trying to gather her thoughts. Lasher asked an important question, and Dante was just going to let her go. She found she was angry at both of them, for being so accepting of this. Blue was tired of everyone leaving, and going. She was tired of losing everything she loved. Atticus had left her, Peregrine had left her, Junior had left her, Pura was here, but absent and now Saena too. Were her children next? Was Lasher? Where would it end? When would Blue stop, getting her heart broken. She had suffered in silence, for so long. And she supposed, she would continue to do so. To give all she had, until there was nothing left.

However, Blue said none of this, did not say a word. Because, who was she to stand in her nieces way. No there was no way, she would curb that ambition, no way that she would snuff it out. She was proud of her, but she was sad and she was slightly angry, though her anger had begun to cool, just as quickly as it had flared to life.  So instead she voiced the one thing she dearly wanted to know, Is it because of Osprey Or koda? I only ask because you were so happy to try and take leadership here, then it changed. Regardless, I will support you in whatever endeavor you should decide, and I will miss you. And I love you. Blue grew quiet then, and kept her eyes down. 
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
She was quiet as the Alpha male and the Beta pair took in her words. Lasher and Dante were both accepting; the former asked a question while the latter wished her luck. Although she'd set her heart on leaving, these were not the easy responses she'd anticipated, and if anything, strengthened Saena's resolve to leave. Though it wasn't their intention, Lasher and Dante had made her feel as though she wasn't worth fighting for for just a moment, and that was enough.

Blue Willow, however, stayed her for a moment. She'd planned to just say her goodbyes and leave, but her aunt's downcast eyes said everything that the healer was unwilling to vocalize. Saena couldn't tell that Blue Willow was angry, but she could tell upset when she saw it, and when Blue Willow did speak, Saena knew she would answer.

"Both," she admitted. "It has nothing to do with you, Aunt Willow. You'll always be my family. But," she went on, "Koda's behaviour made me realize that, no matter what I do here and no matter if I ever rose to lead, I'd be leading wolves, or at least one wolf, who don't respect me. I'd be living with wolves, or a wolf, that barely tolerate me. That isn't the pack I want to lead, and his constant judgment isn't what I deserve." Saena was wholly unaware that Koda's misogyny had already been brought up with him, but it wouldn't have mattered. Even if he kept his mouth shut from now on, there was no way Saena could ignore the veiled contempt he held for her, and she for him. "If I led here, I would kick him out. I'm sure there's a reason he's still allowed to be here, so I would be held in contempt for that.

Osprey, too. If I ran this pack, she wouldn't be a part of it anymore. She broke a law, a major law." Saena took a deep breath here, not wanting to linger on names or deeds for long, although she did point out that, "when Junior undermined your authority, she was treated very harshly, for a crime that was less than this. I believe if it was anyone but Osprey who came back pregnant, they would be treated harshly. I believe her status as your friend is clouding your judgment."

All of this was said levelly and objectively; for once, Saena wasn't ruled by her opinions or emotions, even if she'd just insulted the leaders to their faces. It truly wasn't meant as an insult; it was sincere. "And that's how you run things, and that is your right as leaders, but that's not how I would run things. Authority means something to me, and actions have consequences, and I couldn't stand by and let these things happen if I led. I don't think it would be fair to change the pack to suit me," she said, and after a short pause, added, "and I don't think it'd be fair that I would have to abandon my principles to lead it."

Taking another deep breath and steadying herself against what she thought would be cold indifference to her opinions, Saena finished with, "it would be better for me if I founded my own pack, with wolves who respect me for being me, and it would be better for Blacktail Deer Plateau if I didn't lead it, and if I left instead." Despite herself, her eyes were wet. "I would intend this pack to remain an ally of mine, whenever I claim land for myself, and your wolves—save Koda—would always be welcome visitors. I don't want to do what dad did and just suddenly leave without saying goodbye to those I love, including you," she quickly assured them, "and while this is my farewell to you three, I'm asking for a couple days to say good bye to Pura and Valtyr, as well."
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
ashdsldkd;d i think it's my turn and i totally forgot I AM SO SORRY

he would have been appalled to know that saena thought little of his response, and how it caused her to feel, but as he was not a reader of minds, he could not discern that. thus, he listened quietly as the girl spoke, outlining in eloquence her reasoning for departing the plateau. as he suspected, osprey was the cause, not the sole, but a main point in the conversation. 

he whined lowly as tears formed in the girl's eyes, and summarily in his own; if she would have it, the beta extended his muzzle to press briefly against her cheek. "we have lost a great wolf in you, saena," he murmured softly. the criticism of their leadership aside, he loved the girl fiercely. "any pack would be blessed indeed to have you at its helm."

lingering but a moment, the man stepped back, eyes flickering first to the willow and then to dante, to see if the two would elucidate and argue their position. there was no compromise to propose; it seemed the stippled child had made her mind, and while he disliked koda, osprey was family lilo and stitch reference here and it would be cruel to turn her out into the world unloved and alone, natural laws be damned. "i for one see no reason why you cannot remain for a few days longer, to say your goodbyes."
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
ramble ramble but good chance to cement Dante's mindset a bit :D

He hadn't felt it was his place to tell Saena what to do, she was old enough to decide and he would afford her that.  He wasn't about to beg her to stick around if she would be happier elsewhere, and it was obvious she didn't feel she could be content here or she wouldn't be bringing this conversation up.  After her justification, however, he kept his mouth shut even more decisively, not wanting to sully this gathering.

Her argument against Koda was justified.  However, if she was to let problems with one wolf make her leave, then she would have some serious learning to do once she actually tried running things.  There would always be wolves whose opinions differed from yours. His criticism didn't stop her from hunting, nor from holding the trade she did.  And if it had really bothered her that much, she could have come to him.  But she did not.

Her other account, though, was the one that made his jaw clench.  He was careful not to let his irritation show visibly, but internally he'd thought perhaps they'd moved past this.  He saw hypocracy in her words as well as serious naivety.  She spoke as though he hadn't considered Junior a packmate when punishing her, and said his judgement was clouded on Osprey.  From where he stood, hers was irrevocably clouded though when it came to her sister, and he would stand by his judgement in that instance with a steadfast hold.  Osprey's actions harmed no one but herself.  Juniors could not only have killed Finley, but could have incited problems with Redhawk that could have brought a world of trouble to every member of the Plateau.  The punishment he'd given had been lax, a simple demotion until he felt she would not act so again.  A few weeks, tops.  It was a punishment Koda had taken without complaint for the simple act of missing a meeting, yet somehow he was out of line for imposing it on Junior for actions much worse.

This aversion to being demoted showed him a complete lack of appreciation for the wolves who filled those ranks, as well.  In his eyes, there was nothing wrong with residing in the lower ranks.  It did not mean that they were any less important than the higher.  Not everyone could be a leader, and it wasn't as though they were badly treated.  He'd have gladly stayed within the lower tiers had Peregrine not requested his promotion, and he felt Saena was showing many of the traits Junior had... so eager to gain respect that she was forgetting it was a two way street.

Her words convinced him more than anything else so far that she was making the right choice... if she wanted a position, she would need to look elsewhere.  Because unless she gained a little insight, there was no way she'd ever rise here while he held the helm.

This was not the place to be defending his actions, though, nor to be getting irritated with her.  He let it fall away, for it would be petty to let that spoil the parting.  She was an individual, harsh and quick to judge yes, but also one who he felt would do well once she figured out her own place in the world.  Surely there would be others who shared her perspective, who would be willing to follow.  And maybe once she held the responsibility she'd realize kicking out a long-time, loyal, and hardworking member for a single mistake was harder than it looked.  And despite their differences, he did hold quite a bit of affection for her, just as he had their sister.  Brotherly, exasperated affection but it was there and strong all the same.  He would miss her once she was gone.

"Take the time you need," he agreed.  "And you will always have our friendship, for we'll be sad to lose you."  He knew, out of the three, that this parting hurt Blue Willow most.  He too would have been upset had he known his lack of argument hurt the Beta female, but he would not have changed it.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue stood silently as Saena spoke, and then Lasher and Dante in turn. A part of her felt as if they let her go to easily, as if they should fight. But the no nonsense part, knew that Saena had already made up her mind. There was nothing to be said. She looked down a bit, trying to work through everything, her mind a mess and in turmoil. She would have to tell Peregrine, that now Saena was going off on her own too, but it was okay.

You will always be my family too. She grew quiet, about Koda, but knowing that she would make known the fact that she had reprimanded him. Koda is a jerk. I reprimanded him myself for his cutting words. I also told him what he could do with himself. However, I see your point. Blue went silent again, forcing herself to think of the correct words, so this parting would not end badly. 

Blue studied Saena and spoke softly, I do not see why you can't take the few days to say goodbye to the two. Blue had to blink fast and furiously to step the tears that threatened to choke her.
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
The timeline for this is super messed up so let's pretend it happens before Koda challenges Dante, even though that wouldn't make sense either. >_>

Saena couldn't read minds, but if she could, then Dante's would've been all the evidence she needed that she had to leave now. Instead, she moved forward to press her snout against her aunt's muzzle, then slipped below the other woman's neck for a tentative embrace. With her lips pressed against the lobe of the dark-haired healer's ear, Saena whispered, "I'll visit lots, if you'll have me, once I get settled. I'll miss you most of all. I need things to calm down here, first."

Of course, there was nothing to calm down. Many of the pack wolves wouldn't miss her at all. Surely Koda's ego would skyrocket the second he found out she'd left because of him, and Kesuk hardly knew Saena, so it was unlikely she would be missed by the other female. Pura was on the verge of becoming a feral recluse, and Valtyr was about as elusive lately. Osprey had her own problems, many of them more important than her niece, and it was Saena's private belief that the woman didn't care much anyway. No, it was likely only these three who would feel Saena's absence in any way. Still, Saena didn't know any of this, and felt like the pack would miss her contribution and her spark in days to come.

She moved to Lasher next, seeking to embrace him if he would allow it. Although she wasn't particularly close with him, she shared with him the commonality of Peregrine's abandonment. Not only that, but she held a deep respect for the gentle Taltos, who had advised her on more than one occasion. She would miss him greatly. She then tentatively stepped toward Dante. She hung back from him for a moment—their interactions were always either hot or cold, strictly formal or explosively emotional—she didn't consider him a friend, but more of a worthy colleague. She knew the plateau belonged to him and he deserved it.

"Keep this pack strong," she told him as she stepped forward. Unlike the other two, Saena didn't seek to embrace him intimately, but instead nudged her snout beneath his chin to show deference and respect, two things she did feel for Dante. Whether he knew it or not, whether he believed in her or not, as she often questioned from his actions, he was a good leader worthy of any wolf's respect. Hers was easy to give.

With that said, Saena stepped away from them, gave them all a final grin although she knew she would weep shortly, and padded into the forest to seek out Pura, who she would not find, before departing the plateau forever.
1,499 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Blue Willow returned the embrace, a soft whine in her throat. Blue felt her throat tighten even at the words that Saena spoke, and her heart felt as if it were breaking. This was as hard, if not harder when Amelie left, and Peregrine. Though with Perry it had manifested into a smoldering anger, that was all but gone now. She whispered back, You are welcome anytime as far as I am concerned. And any who disagree will deal with me. It was that simple. She would not allow all of Saena's wolves to go tromping around the land, and she would deal most a hefty blow of paw. But Saena, Saena was welcome.

Blue understood her wisdom in her words all too well. There were many taht would not miss her, but the leaders they would miss her. She and Lasher, and their children, even Dante would miss her. She was fairly certain. However, they could not keep her here forever. And perhaps come winter, when they were down a body or two, they would miss her, the others. 

Blue stood still, and quiet as she said her goodbyes to the other too. Her mind going over everything as Saena was walking from her life. The day she was born, how small she had been. How she had grown, from a shy recluse to a firebrand. She would miss her, and she had enjoyed watching her grow, now she would miss it. She would miss some of the first, the first boy, the first love, the first babies if she decided to have them. Blue watched her go, and stayed there long after she was gone. Tears on her muzzle, and her heart in her throat. Would everyone leave in the end?
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
"the plateau has lost a wondrous wolf in you, saena," lasher murmured as the girl stepped to embrace him -- he lingered there for a moment, knowing this would possibly be the last that he saw of her for quite some time. taltos' paternal instincts surged to the fore -- he did not wish for her to depart on her own, but there was no stopping the girl. she was willful as well as intelligent.

his murkwater eyes followed the pale girl until she was no longer visible, and then he turned to nudge blue willow's tearstained cheek. "she will do well." his gaze fell upon dante then; he sought to gauge the leader's reaction by way of his tensed jawline. 
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
this was always intended to happen before the Koda thing ^^ so it shouldn't be too messed up? I started that thread after this one

When she came and gave a gesture of respect, he was both surprised and touched to recieve it.  "I will," he responded, feeling as though Lasher's words summed it up pretty well.  Despite the fact that he felt she was making the right call, he wasn't happy to lose yet another core member to other ambitions. Giving her cheek a nudge, he too watched her go.

He could feel Lasher's eyes on him, and he turned to give a small smile of agreement at his words. He was right, she would do well. He knew the blame for her departure rested for the most part solely on his shoulders, and Blue Willow's sorrow increased his own that a compromise wouldn't have worked. She needed to find her own happiness. He gave a comforting touch to Blue, then left without many words, wanting some time after this encounter to think.