Redhawk Caldera Fire and brimstone
confidence, charisma, character
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
Tagging a few people just so they know their character(s) are in charge during this thread. I'm looking for trouble and conflict to mess with Saena's head (since she knows nothing right now and thinks it's totally fine to come here).

On the seventh day of Junior's absence, Saena went to @Reek and @Arion and asked the pair of them to keep an eye on the pack for a few days while she went looking for her AWOL sister. Like her sister before her, the Alpha female left the pack to the east, tracking the fading scent of her sibling as far as it took her... but it went only so far east and ended at a river that Junior evidently forded. Thus stranded with no further clues and no sign of Junior anywhere, the pale Redtail spent the night in quiet wondering with worry gnawing even stronger at her belly.

Her decision to go south, to Redhawk Caldera, was spurred by her relative proximity, the end of Junior's trail, and a remembered promise to help Peregrine teach Wildfire about Naturalism. Although she knew her sister never would've gone there even after her outburst with Reek and Arion, Saena still looked for signs of Junior all the way to the Caldera, but found none, as predicted. Junior wouldn't willingly seek out Peregrine. Saena knew her too well to believe that was even possible, and so she set herself the goal of teaching Wildfire something new today to bolster her own confidence after her failed search for her true sibling.

When she arrived at the Caldera borders, she hung back a long ways from where the scent permeated the air, just as she had when last she visited her father. Like then, she lifted her muzzle to the sky and called for him, stating plainly that she was here to help with a Naturalism lesson.
incautious red wrecking ball amwelles · amwelles
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
Another ring for Peregrine, though Fox had left their children in the care of Dove and Magpie for the time being. She had been upping her patrols, spurred into action due to the incident, and she would not allow their borders to go unprotected any longer. Fox was a trained warrior and warden, so who better to march around and around, making sure that they were equipped to deal with whatever came at them. The others had been instructed to feign ignorance if anybody came asking for Junior. If they were pressed, they would simply respond with a story of how one of the children was attacked by a strange, lone wolf. And that was that.

Fox hadn't recognized the voice, but as the red-tipped fur of Saena came into view, the Alpha's vision locked onto the girl. It seemed both of Peregrine's spawn wished for death. And death was something Fox was happy to give her. Fox sprinted at the girl, low and fast, not bothering to give Saena the same warning she'd given Osprey. Peregrine's older children were to be killed on sight. Which was exactly what Fox intended to do when she lunged at the grown hellion.
Pregnancy timeline (RHC members only)
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
When it was a red-furred wolf who appeared in the distance, Saena flattened her ears and tilted her tail further down. She despised Fox, true, but after her initial surge of dislike for the children had faded, she had realized it was only Fox she despised. There was absolutely no reason for her not to, after everything that happened. However, Saena was mature enough to know that none of Fox's misdeeds were the fault of her children, so all of the woman's ill will was for the Alpha female of the Caldera. Even so, to defy her at her borders was foolish, so when Fox drew near, Saena was the picture of submission.

At least, until it became clear that Fox wasn't stopping. That she was all-out charging, ready to fight. Confusion and panic flit across Saena's face as she dodged out of the way just in time; had her tail not already been chopped in half, Fox would've easily latched onto it. She whirled with a loud call of, "what the fuck," as she met Fox's furious gaze for just an instant. "What is your problem?" she asked while backpedaling hastily, ensuring there was enough space for her to get out of the way again if her father's crazy-as-fuck mate charged her again. Despite their rocky history, Saena had done nothing to Fox recently and had even made amends with her father, so this behaviour was completely out of nowhere and, in her opinion, only confirmed that Fox was a complete psychopath.

"I want to see my father," she growled, pacing quickly to the side and anticipating for another charge. She would not fall here today, not to this psycho bitch's teeth, not for doing nothing wrong. She would flee if she had to, but not before figuring out what the hell her issue was.
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
Saena spewed words, either feigning ignorance to her sister's plan (Fox had a good feeling they were both in on it), or perhaps she really didn't know what Junior had done. To Fox, it did not matter. She was not here to answer questions. Nor was she here to do anything other than murder Peregrine's older child, an act she found completely justifiable. Saena had exactly two options. One, get as far away from here as possible. Two, die. Fox prayed that the girl would choose the latter.

The unfortunate part of this whole thing was that she probably would have been perfectly fine with Saena up until the incident. Hell, she may have even allowed her to give Wifi the lesson she now sought to teach. Junior, however, had ripped any and all trust Fox had ever had for any of Peregrine's former children right out of her heart and filled it with bitter hatred. Saena could blame that on her murdering (and murdered) sister all she wanted if she ever found out—assuming she didn't already know what Junior had come here to do.

Again, Fox launched her small red body at the white one, jaws agape as she aimed for the girl's throat.
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
Fox answered none of her questions. The bitch was not only insane, but fucking rude as well. She charged again, and this time, Saena stood at the ready. She was unwilling to accept this behaviour. Arion's spar with her had taught her a lot, and she'd been practicing too, quietly and on her own. Fox might be out for blood, but Saena was learning to fight very defensively... far more than the little spitfire bitch probably anticipated from her youth. Far too much to allow herself to be killed... and make no mistake, Saena cottoned on to Fox's intention the second her aim went for the throat.

Snarling deeply, the Redtail wolf tucked her snout down, shielding her throat from view and thwarting Fox's ridiculous, senseless plan, and when the red woman came close, she snapped viciously at the air between them, warning her away as best she could. Whatever Fox's game was, Saena could play it, too. She, however, would never kill Fox, and not only because of Peregrine. As much as she wasn't exactly a fan of them, Saena would never wish her fucked up childhood on her young half-siblings. Depriving them of their mother was something she would never do, however much she disliked the woman and however much she was asking for it with her brutal, inexplicable attack.

She began to back up, hunched like a hyena and snarling the entire time with eyes wide and locked on Fox. Any move the Redhawk Caldera Alpha made for any vital part of her body would be met with a snarl and a retaliating snap. She was so focused on this escape that she failed to notice that Fox had, in fact, hit her shoulder just alongside her neck at some point. She would likely ignore any injury inflicted that wasn't immediately life-threatening, and would continue backing up and defending herself until she was at a sufficient distance to run for it.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Cameo!

There was yet another layer to Peregrine's punishment. As if sensing that something had happened here at the caldera, wolves suddenly came calling for him, one by one. Fox forbade him from responding in any way. Meanwhile, she took it upon herself to chase his loved ones away from the borders without explanation. She had even told him she would kill his eldest children on sight if they came near. He was in no position to argue.

He wasn't sure he wanted to argue, for that matter. As much as he loved them and owed them, Peregrine suddenly couldn't trust his older three. Even sweet Ty might pose a threat to his young pups. It was clearer than ever: anyone from outside the caldera was a potential threat to the Alphas' litter, especially because of their parents' histories. The dethroned Alpha was forced to admit that Fox's take on matters was both harsh and totally warranted. Outsiders needed to remain outside.

He was stretched out beside Wildfire again. They were both outside the badger den, enjoying the sunshine. Well, he was pretending to enjoy it, for her sake. He hid his turmoil well. Peregrine was an old hand at it, after all. He had done the same thing with his last litter, when he and their mother had fallen out of love. He gritted his teeth, then stopped when it made an audible noise. He looked down at Wildfire's peacefully sleeping face. Her nap went undisturbed.

The male flinched when a howl rose into the air. He felt his blood run cold. Saena, he thought. In his mind's eye, Peregrine could picture his mate reacting to the call, hurtling down the mountainside and going right for the pale yearling's throat. His jade eyes slowly closed, then reopened. To keep himself anchored, he fastened them on Wildfire's face again. His lips moved silently in the same eight-word pattern, repeating it over and over: I won't let anyone hurt you ever again.
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
Again and again, Fox threw herself at Saena. They grappled, exchanged blows, and gave each other scrapes, scuffs, and deep cuts. Fox said nothing during the fight; it wasn't her style. Instead, she continued to beat on the girl, her entire being ready to tear the girl's head off just as Peregrine had done with Junior. Each time she went for the throat, though, the girl managed to step out of her way. Even when Fox was certain that she had the girl's life within her jaws, Saena managed to wring free from her grasp, kick up her heels, and run for her life.

If Fox hadn't had three children and a mate to care for, she would have taken off after the bitch. Unfortunately, she could not abandon them. She would not. Heat radiated off of her body, here in the late afternoon sun, and Fox panted heavily. Her front left foot throbbed with pain, but she would not move from her spot until Saena's figure had disappeared from her sight. If Saena ever thought to come back, she would be met with the same reaction. Next time, Fox would not fail.
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
I'm not sure how we can, but if we can get 1 more post each somehow, we can use it for EXP!

She couldn't spend a single second thinking. Fox's onslaught was relentless; the red bitch came again and again, driving Saena back in a dance for her life. Whatever had spurred the Alpha female's attack was no longer Saena's concern, for the second that Fox's teeth sliced her flesh again, fury took over.

For a brief few seconds, Saena exchanged blows with the woman. Once or twice, she even attacked with the intent to mangle. But just as she managed to evade all fatal blows, Fox managed to slip free of Saena's most damaging hits. All the while, the Redtail Alpha continued stepping backward. It was one of Fox's last attacks that hit its mark—the woman crashed into her like a bulldozer, sending her haunches to the ground and making her cry out as white hot pain tore through her side from Fox's jaws finding their mark just above her belly—that made desperation set in.

Saena kicked and writhed, found her feet, chomped viciously at the air between them and somehow freed herself. Without a single backward glance, she turned and fled, adrenaline her only saving grace as she put miles between herself and Redhawk Caldera. She didn't stop, but her mind was abuzz. She briefly wondered if Peregrine's invitation hadn't been a trap all along, a death sentence for his children that he'd left behind and now seemed to have completely turned on. Amidst these uncertain thoughts, over and over, a vicious oath thrummed through her head: the next time she saw Fox, no matter where, the bitch was dead for her unprovoked intent to kill. And so help any Redhawk wolf that found their way to the north.
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
I was planning on dragging @Peregrine back in here for that purpose. ;)

Fox's front left leg continued to throb, and the blood that now soaked it made her ever-so-slightly dizzy. She needed to get back to Peregrine, back to the kids. Limping, Fox carefully made her way back to the site where the children were currently being kept. She had hoped to move them back to the rendezvous site sooner rather than later, but she wanted to make sure that Wifi was in tip-top shape before they went back to any sense of normalcy. Thankfully, Tiger's healing knowledge had helped Wifi's recovery move right along.

When Fox finally made it, she saw Peregrine staring intently at Dhole. Fox's condition and bedraggled look told all, though she clarified the outcome of her fight with the monster that was Saena. "She escaped," Fox said plainly, emotion void from her tone. The alpha settle down on the side opposite of Wildfire and began to lick away the blood and dirt from her mangled paw.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
When a bloodied Fox limped into view, Peregrine slipped away from Wildfire and padded in his former mate's direction. He kept his head low and his tail limp. He wanted to go right up to her, help her clean her wounds. Instead, he hung back. She seemed steady on her feet and she began to wash her cuts herself. He slowly sat down nearby, giving her a look that asked if she needed assistance. He didn't say a word, though. He felt relieved, whether because Saena hadn't been killed or because the possible threat to their family had been removed, Peregrine himself did not know.
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
I was going to put this off a few more days, but I am (and Fox is) weak. So many feeeeeels.

In typical Fox manner, she was unwilling to admit her mistake. Stomping all over Peregrine was not the way to beat this thing, and she couldn't stand him acting all... well, un-Peregrine like. He moped around like some newborn pup, worried that he might overstep his bounds. "Peregrine," she began, taking a pause from cleaning her wounds. "I don’t want to do this alone. I’ve done it before, and I hated it." She was referring to her days in Swiftcurrent Creek, to the few times Peregrine had gone on some journey without her. His place was beside her, no matter what mistakes he had made. She could forgive him for that.

Granted, she had Elwood and Finley to back her up, but they were there to support each other, not her. Peregrine was meant to be her support. "We can recover from this," she said defiantly, "We will recover from this." Fox would not let anything—anything—get between them. Not even her overwhelming desire to throttle him for bringing Junior here. Mistakes were made, but he could earn back her trust. It was the only way for them to keep their family together. This... distance was not what Fox had wanted. She shifted slightly, beckoning him to come close. "Come back to me, Perry."

Would he forgive her? Could he?

Would she forgive him? Could she?
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
His ears twitched when she said his name and his eyes shifted briefly to her face before dropping again. Peregrine listened, motionless. He was more than a little surprised that she was taking her judgments back so quickly. He supposed he had known this era of punishment wouldn't go on forever... but even he thought this was too soon. He wanted to pay his dues, to Fox and the rest of the pack. He wasn't finished doing his penance.

"No," Peregrine said, shaking his head. "Not yet." This time, he looked her in the eyes for the first time since the incident, holding her gaze. "I'm still here in whatever capacity you want..." He was still very uncertain of their spousal status, yet truthfully romance was the furthest thing from his mind. "I'm still here for the kids. But I deserve to be exactly where I am. I failed this pack by bringing a wildcard right into our heart.

I'm learning from this mistake,"
he continued. It was a painful lesson. "I'm learning that I need to go back to my old ways, where I never left my home and I defended its borders from all manner of outsiders, even friendly ones. This land is sacred, as are the children we birthed here. I know you and the rest of the pack are already upping the ante but I am joining forces too. I want to prove myself. Let me earn the caldera's forgiveness.

Then,"
Peregrine finished, "I'll come back to you, if you still want me."
2,111 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Sitter
Omg I should not be teary-eyed over this. ;~;
P.S. They should have some cray makeup sex after they get over this.

She didn't like his answer, but she didn't refute him. Her lips drew tight, but she said nothing. Fox wanted to spew insults at him, to beat him bloody, but she remained still. Perhaps that was even more telling than if she had gone full-on rage. Their bond was not something that could be broken by anybody, not even that wretched child that had attempted to murder one of their own. Fox wouldn't allow it. She swore, right then and there, to herself that she would get Peregrine back on his feet just as quickly as she could.

Together, they would beat this. Together, they would succeed.

Fox rose from her place on the ground, her wounds (mostly) clean, and licked Peregrine's cheek. His overnight change from black to silver had not gone unnoticed, and she could only imagine that it was from the stress and shock of the incident. "I will always want you," she whispered before nestling down next to Dhole and drifting into a much needed sleep.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
It's because he's a sexy silver fox now, isn't it? *offers tissue*

Only now did Peregrine realize he might have misunderstood Fox's original verbal lashing. Perhaps she had never intended to break the bond of their mate-ship. It was a relief, though it didn't mean he was any readier to resume the mantle beside her. By the look of it, the queen was large and in charge. He felt a thread of disquiet when he remembered who'd caused those cuts and bruises. Why had Saena fought back against a defensive Alpha female on her own border? Did she know about Junior? Had her sister told her about it beforehand? There were so many unanswerable questions.

But, much as it made him a callous and deadbeat dad once and for all, Peregrine realized it was time to let go of that litter. They were adults now and they didn't need him. And even though he had been the one to leave the plateau, they had also chosen not to follow him. He had not deigned to make anyone's choice for them that day and they had exercised their freedom of will. Peregrine had eventually shouldered the blame for that and he knew he could have handled it better. But when it came down to it, they hadn't needed him then and they certainly didn't need him now. They weren't his family anymore, by mutual choice now. They were outsiders, non-pack, never to be trusted again. It was a hard, cruel fact of life.

"But guess what," Peregrine whispered to himself, watching as Fox curled up around her little lookalike, "we are fucking wolves."